PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Using A TV Lift System?

im2fst4u
01-05-2010, 01:01 AM
I recently picked up a Period Series automatic lift for my LCD so I could lower the television when we want to use the home theater system.
I have a great idea and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to have the lift removed from the cabinet and installed in my floor in the loft which is above my garage?
This way the television would come up through the floor via an access panel.
My garage has 14' ceilings so there is plenty of room to do the custom install.
I was considering tackling this myself (and still may if I can get some pointers) but perhaps someone on Beyond can install it and modify it for me? (obviously I will pay for the work)
Any help, pointers or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures of the unit from their website for reference:

http://www.uniquestylesolutions.com/images/lifts/PeriodCollection_06.jpg
http://www.uniquestylesolutions.com/images/lifts/PeriodCollection_08.jpg

Specs and info:
"The Period cabinet are made from Kiln dried European Hard Wood, Solid hardwood on the sides, base, top and doors. Back panel is 1/4 inch Masonite, which is ventilated and easily removable. The Period Contemporary style in Wenge finish.

Recessed panel doors with mitered corners.
Flipper doors drop down foe access to components.
Surge protractor and power plug-in plate built in.

The automatic TV lift are designed and rated to lift heavy plasma and LCD televisions quickly, quietly, and safely. Four rails are used to guard against failure. The motor raises the lift quietly and safely in approximately 20 seconds. It will stop automatically if something obstructs its pathway, similar to the way a the mechanism on a garage door works.

Lift can accommodate up to 42" TV with Side Speakers; 50" TV without speakers.
(Maximum TV Size 28 3/4" H x 52" W x 5 1/2" D)
Travel upward speed: approximately 1.6 inch / second.
Travel downward speed: approximately 1.2 inch / second.
Travel distance: 29 inches.
Maximum loading 120 lbs.
Practical platform area: L 1270mm x W 100mm
The TV lift cabinets are mounted in the back area of the TV cabinet.
TV lift comes installed in the TV cabinet.
TV cabinet will come in one unit with the TV lift.
TV lift is remote controlled by a RF signal.
Remote control for the lift cabinet is included.
The flat screen TVs bolts into the TV lift bracket on the TV lift.
Front of cabinet have doors with a inside depth of 9" that can hold 10 DVDs deep per roll.
The bottom two panels flip down, to place audio components into.
The audio component compartments are 22 1/2" wide 18" deep and 4" in height.
The back panel can come off that houses the electronics for access to the wiring.
The back of this TV Lift Cabinet is unfinished and is designed to be against a wall.
The TV cabinets lifts have a one year warranty.

55.5" wide X 18" deep X 40" high
Cabinet weight 409 lbs in the wooden shipping crate."

BlackArcher101
01-09-2010, 04:32 PM
So the TV will be extending into the garage when retracted? Beware of fumes, make sure whoever does it makes that thing air tight.

revelations
01-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Nice.... sounds pretty ballin' !

Maybe post pictures of the floor and the ceiling of the area you are planning on installing it.

black13
01-09-2010, 07:58 PM
I think it'd be cheaper/less hassle to just buy another TV for the garage.

Still cool idea if done right.

topmade
01-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Did you actually buy this already? I don't think that lift will work with what you want unless you like your tv at ground level. I googled around and all the units just lift up to the size of the tv, hence the cabinets to get them at the proper viewing level. So even if you could use that lift, you'd have to modify it quite a bit so that it extends high enough. Then you would also lose more height in your garage then expected. Another thing to consider is the way your joists goes cause if your tv doesn't sit parrallel with them, that would ruin your plans right there cause you can't cut them.

I don't know anything about these lifts, but I think it's a lot more work and $$ then it seems.

eblend
01-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by black13

I don't think thats what he wants...he just wants it to retract into the garage, not to be used but to be stored when retracted.

As the other person mentioned, sounds like alot of hastle and it won't come up high enough

im2fst4u
01-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
So the TV will be extending into the garage when retracted? Beware of fumes, make sure whoever does it makes that thing air tight.
Excellent advice, something I have overlooked and will pass the idea on to whomever I have install the system.

Originally posted by revelations
Nice.... sounds pretty ballin' !

Maybe post pictures of the floor and the ceiling of the area you are planning on installing it.
Thanks, hopefully it will turn out to be a great addition to the theater room.
I will take some pictures soon and that will give everyone that is helping with suggestions a better idea of what I am looking at.
I am also having a hard time deciding on what to use for the cover that will be on the floor. Perhaps a hinged panel that will blend into the surroundings?
I took a short video with my projector on and the lift in operation but it is hardly worth posting as the quality is horrible.

Originally posted by black13

I already have a LCD in the garage so this one will only be used in the theater room (loft) when it is working.

Originally posted by topmade
Did you actually buy this already? I don't think that lift will work with what you want unless you like your tv at ground level. I googled around and all the units just lift up to the size of the tv, hence the cabinets to get them at the proper viewing level. So even if you could use that lift, you'd have to modify it quite a bit so that it extends high enough. Then you would also lose more height in your garage then expected. Another thing to consider is the way your joists goes cause if your tv doesn't sit parrallel with them, that would ruin your plans right there cause you can't cut them.

I don't know anything about these lifts, but I think it's a lot more work and $$ then it seems.
Yes, I have already purchased the unit and you are right. It wont lift the TV high enough that it would be a comfortable viewing experience. This is why I would like to have the lift on a separate ram/lift system as well to bring it up to the proper height. The joists in the garage run parallel to where the lift would be installed so that is not an issue. As for the height issue, as I mentioned, I have 14' ceilings in the garage so again that would not present an issue.

Thanks again to everyone for their opinions and suggestions. I will keep you updated with pictures as the installation progresses.