PDA

View Full Version : Putting brighter headlights?

G-ZUS
01-05-2010, 02:22 AM
Im not sure if I posted in the right forum but my car has 55w stock headlights for lowbeams and I believe 80 watts for high beams. Would i wreck/burn anything if I changed them to 70w and 100w respectively?

max_boost
01-05-2010, 02:25 AM
I just put in a set of Sylvannia Silverstar and they definitely made a huge difference.
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/Silverstar/

Personally I am a bit of a ricer so I prefer a white/bluer output and the Sylvannia's just aren't clear enough for my preference. Will try a set of PIAA Xtreme white next time.

SpeedIllusion
01-05-2010, 02:37 AM
I'm very partial to Philips X-treme power bulbs, I've had Sylvania's before but for some reason they don't seem to last that long.
Try not to get anything coloured/tint because that will reduce the light output!

max_boost
01-05-2010, 02:38 AM
Yeah I'm reading up on the reviews of Sylvannias burning out anywhere in the first 6-9months.

dj_rice
01-05-2010, 02:46 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/150512/brightest-headlight-bulbs-for-my-mini-van/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/164266/new-osram-hyper-and-toshiba-hir-headlight-bulbs-pics/

SpeedIllusion
01-05-2010, 02:46 AM
But in the end, nothing will beat retrofitted HID headlights in your car :D

G-ZUS
01-05-2010, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by SpeedIllusion
But in the end, nothing will beat retrofitted HID headlights in your car :D

That is my plan for the future when money is not tight, but until then I'd rather not blind people by putting HID's in my regular housing

scat19
01-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

That is my plan for the future when money is not tight, but until then I'd rather not blind people by putting HID's in my regular housing

:clap:

Omfg, this is the smartest thing I've heard on this site to date. :thumbsup:

The housing is letting you down on the direction of light, the best way is to upgrade to properly aligned projector/HID.

This morning I saw a Shaw van - yes, a blue shaw van with the most blinding set of 6000k blue hid ever. My god.

Tik-Tok
01-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by scat19

:clap:

Omfg, this is the smartest thing I've heard on this site to date. :thumbsup:

Yep. Kind of the opposite of this post by a random guy :rofl:

xenons should not be turned on and off more than 4 times per hour, so a little drive from the gas station to home (2 mins), thought it was allright.

(hey, at least it wasn't a windshield joke)

scat19
01-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yep. Kind of the opposite of this post by a random guy :rofl:

(hey, at least it wasn't a windshield joke)

Yeah, who the fuck would post that. :bullshit:

Mibz
01-05-2010, 09:58 AM
There are as many people who have run Sylvanias for 2 years as there are people who burn them out prematurely. I have a feeling that most of these 6-9 month people are touching their bulbs. I ran those bulbs in my last three cars (until the HIDs in the Neon) and only ever bought one pair per vehicle.

That said, I can't comment on whether they're brighter/clearer than the PIAAs, GEs or whatever.

max_boost
01-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/150512/brightest-headlight-bulbs-for-my-mini-van/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/164266/new-osram-hyper-and-toshiba-hir-headlight-bulbs-pics/

Oh that's perfect. Going to try those Osram Hypers next. Brighter light, long life AND it's got that nice white look to it. :thumbsup:

This line was the best
These lights are so bright I can see into the dark souls of emo kids...before I run them over.:rofl: :rofl:

Mibz
01-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Osram is Sylvania now. Can you still get the Hypers? Pretty sure they're just the Silverstar Ultras.

Strider
01-05-2010, 12:09 PM
I just put in some Philips Xtreme Power +80% bulbs in the wife's car and I couldn't be happier... much better than silverstars. We'll see how long they last though.

OP, what are you planning on putting in that's 70W??
Why not just get higher output 55W bulbs?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I can vouch for the Sylvanias being good but burning out every 6 months. I never touch the bulbs, alwasy careful during removal/installation and max I get is 6-7 months out of them.

Kloubek
01-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Philips Xtreme Power is supposed to be the creme de la creme of replacement bulbs. I think I'm going to get a set for my wife.... she's been complaining about dim lights on her Corolla.

Keep in mind OP, that your lens has to be CRYSTAL clear. *Any* contamination, fogging, scratches, etc will reduce light output... regardless of blub. I only say this because I am guessing you are not happy with your light output, and perhaps that is why...

Speed_69
01-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Strider
I just put in some Philips Xtreme Power +80% bulbs in the wife's car and I couldn't be happier... much better than silverstars. We'll see how long they last though.

Where did you buy the Phillips Xtreme Power bulbs? and approximately how much are they?

max_boost
01-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Osram is Sylvania now. Can you still get the Hypers? Pretty sure they're just the Silverstar Ultras.

Yeah, is anyone running the Ultras? Does it have the cool 'super white' look like the PIAA's? Yes, everyone has a bit of ricer in them. Basically I want the greatest light out put so I can see the road while the color itself is around 5000k. Nice bright white.

http://www.gthid.ca/images/kelvinchart.jpg

http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/images/masters/ProductComparison_Auto%206d116f89-f521-4e9f-9a82-6e31053c9567.jpg

Strider
01-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

Where did you buy the Phillips Xtreme Power bulbs? and approximately how much are they?

Powerbulbs direct on ebay... (same company as the online website). Cost just under $40 after foreign exchange & shipping

Stunt66
01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I have the ultras in my fogs and have had to replace 2 in one year, luckily I kept the receipt because candian tire just replaces them within 1 year. I have the reg silverstars in my heads and had 1 burn out in 13 months. The light output does look brighter in my fogs but it could be just how it looks throught the different housing. My buddy has the same truck as me and he's got the regular halogens and theres a definate difference but unless you are careful with receipts I would never reccomend these unless you're ok with replacing them once or twice a year

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-05-2010, 01:03 PM
CT replaces them? FUCK I just spent $40 on new ones after 6 months, and they alwasy go within about a week of each other. Fucking headlights, time to save reciepts.

max_boost
01-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Strider

Can you take a picture of them at night? Do they have that ricer 'bright white color' look or are they yellowish? :thumbsup:

max_boost
01-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Stunt66
I have the ultras in my fogs and have had to replace 2 in one year, luckily I kept the receipt because candian tire just replaces them within 1 year. I have the reg silverstars in my heads and had 1 burn out in 13 months. The light output does look brighter in my fogs but it could be just how it looks throught the different housing. My buddy has the same truck as me and he's got the regular halogens and theres a definate difference but unless you are careful with receipts I would never reccomend these unless you're ok with replacing them once or twice a year

Is that a store policy? Or warranty on the bulb? I bought mine from Walmart and threw everything out but for next time I'll buy it from CT. I'm using SilverStars right now but going to pick up a set of Ultras next time.

Strider
01-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Can you take a picture of them at night? Do they have that ricer 'bright white color' look or are they yellowish? :thumbsup:

They still look a little bit yellowish to me, but I'm sure if I did a side by side with OEM, it'll look pure white... i'm just way too lazy to do it.

Someone on some honda board did a side by side, it's probably a lot better than if I just went and took pics of mine, cuz then it would all depend on what I'm shooting against, and white balance on the camera.

edit: check out this thread:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1888068

max_boost
01-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Oh wow. No fucking chance!

Phillips Xtreme is nuts! Going to buy a set now! Just talked to GTS_Jeff and it's got his seal of approval haha:thumbsup:

Mibz
01-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Oh wow... I think I'll try those out in the Jeep.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-05-2010, 02:38 PM
I think I will invest in some of those for my Jeep and my Nissan next time.

Mibz
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Use code ZXRCX111 on powerbulbs.com for a 10% discount. They're currently offering free shipping to Canada -and- free side bulbs.

Stunt66
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM

Is that a store policy? Or warranty on the bulb? I bought mine from Walmart and threw everything out but for next time I'll buy it from CT. I'm using SilverStars right now but going to pick up a set of Ultras next time.

I think it's silverstars warranty that ct honors.

scat19
01-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I think I will invest in some of those for my Jeep and my Nissan next time.

lol ok - you mean your parents cars.

Kloubek
01-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Use code ZXRCX111 on powerbulbs.com for a 10% discount. They're currently offering free shipping to Canada -and- free side bulbs.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks - just ordered.

Strider
01-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Cheaper to buy them from Powerbulbs through ebay... check out their store here:
http://stores.ebay.com/Power-Bulbs-Direct
Just search 'xtreme', you'll have to know your bulb fitment.

Only thing to worry about would be this note under their terms

PLEASE ONLY PURCHASE IF YOU ACCEPT THESE TERMS:

* This item may be a customer return or overstock product. If this is the case we qualify that the item is functional but there may be superficial markings to the packaging.
* No returns are accepted so please ensure you purchase the correct fitting - you can check this in your vehicle handbook. We cannot exchange any incorrect fitting products on this product.

That said, the ones I bought were NIB, still sealed (you can tell if the package has been opened with these bulbs)

Mibz
01-05-2010, 03:37 PM
It's only $5 cheaper and I'm willing to pay that $5 to guarantee I'm getting brand new. Thanks for the tip though.

max_boost
01-05-2010, 04:35 PM

Sweet thanks man. Just ordered a set. Good prices too!

Can't believe I am so excited over bulbs. :clap: :rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by scat19

lol ok - you mean your parents cars.

Nissan is mine, Jeep my parents payed for half but its in my name, so technically my vehicles.

HondaKid
01-05-2010, 07:55 PM

I have ordered bulbs twice from them, great experience both times. Using Osram Night Breakers now, it has been over a year of use in the car and no bad issues.

Speed_69
01-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Was going to order the Xtreme Power Bulbs but my car fits 9006 Bulbs. They don't come in my application :(

HondaKid
01-05-2010, 09:09 PM

Sweet thanks man. Just ordered a set. Good prices too!

Can't believe I am so excited over bulbs. :clap: :rofl:

For most it is a secret shame, I could hardly wait to install the new bulbs, keep this to yourself bulb-geeks are a teased lot by those of the fairer sex.

FiveFreshFish
01-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Just talked to GTS_Jeff and it's got his seal of approval haha:thumbsup:

He's still kicking around? :rofl:

dj_rice
01-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

He's still kicking around? :rofl:

Prolli MSN. I miss him. He still lives on in my quotes

polypep
01-06-2010, 02:24 PM

Get them at NAPA. Price is usually between $40 - $60 / pair depending on bulb type.

clem24
01-06-2010, 04:54 PM
I've had PIAA plasma bulbs or whatever they call them. What an absolute rip off. I paid an arm and a leg for them too. Honestly I think anything PIAA is a rip off.

Also, this chart:

http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/images/masters/ProductComparison_Auto%206d116f89-f521-4e9f-9a82-6e31053c9567.jpg

...Is a fucking joke. It's a lame piece of SHIT marketing tool that Sylvania creates so that you'll buy their most expensive rip off bulbs. I'll bet.. that the one that puts out the most light is the Xtravision. The Silverstars probably give the "appearance" of more light, but more than likely fail to do so. GE Nighthawks are still the best halogen bulbs I've used, in terms of LONG LIFE and BRIGHTNESS. They are NOT coated like Silverstars.

And to the poster asking for "please post a picture of the light". Dude... Pictures DO NOT convey what a light looks like in real life. The camera and exposure settings as well as surrounding light will play a huge role in how the resulting picture will turn out.

For 2 bulb Halogens hi/lo systems (i.e. 9005/9006) , Toshiba HIR is the way to go.

http://hirheadlights.com/

Don't want to be an ass but this thread is full of fail.

Mibz
01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by clem24
I've had PIAA plasma bulbs or whatever they call them. What an absolute rip off. I paid an arm and a leg for them too. Honestly I think anything PIAA is a rip off.

Also, this chart:

...Is a fucking joke. It's a lame piece of SHIT marketing tool that Sylvania creates so that you'll buy their most expensive rip off bulbs. I'll bet.. that the one that puts out the most light is the Xtravision. The Silverstars probably give the "appearance" of more light, but more than likely fail to do so. GE Nighthawks are still the best halogen bulbs I've used, in terms of LONG LIFE and BRIGHTNESS. They are NOT coated like Silverstars.

And to the poster asking for "please post a picture of the light". Dude... Pictures DO NOT convey what a light looks like in real life. The camera and exposure settings as well as surrounding light will play a huge role in how the resulting picture will turn out.

For 2 bulb Halogens hi/lo systems (i.e. 9005/9006) , Toshiba HIR is the way to go.

Don't want to be an ass but this thread is full of fail. While I'm not disagreeing with your opinion on Sylvania's chart or the lifespan of some coated bulbs, if you're going to pimp a product, don't use a site like hirheadlights.com to do it. His method for measuring light is as accurate, or less so, than Sylvania's marketing method.

max_boost
01-06-2010, 06:20 PM

Also, this chart:

Don't want to be an ass but this thread is full of fail.

Haha

Ok I forgot to add another post, but GTS_Jeff said pretty much the same thing as you. The only bulb that's good in that pic is the Xtravision. Remember, I'm a n00b and I merely posted that pic up as reference "BEFORE" I talked to Jeff! haha

According to GTS_Jeff, in this order.

Osram Hyper
Phillips Xtreme
Osram Nightbreakers

Have a great day everyone.

/thread.

Darell_n
01-06-2010, 06:51 PM

I've seen the exact same chart (at CT I think) but it had an additional column that also showed the expected life expectancy decreasing as the colour temperature increased. ie most expensive = shortest life. Maybe they don't admit to that anymore.

Kloubek
01-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Well the chart is clearly bogus in the first place. They use one picture, then modify it from light to dark in each. Photoshop isn't the most scientific way of measuring light output, last I checked... :)

clem24
01-07-2010, 09:22 AM
While I'm not disagreeing with your opinion on Sylvania's chart or the lifespan of some coated bulbs, if you're going to pimp a product, don't use a site like hirheadlights.com to do it. His method for measuring light is as accurate, or less so, than Sylvania's marketing method.

LOL I only use hirheadlights.com cause it's the first place that comes to mind. But... HIR *is* the way to go if your car uses 9006/9005. Or if your car has a modern projector, you can also try your luck with an HID conversion.

Originally posted by Darell_n
I've seen the exact same chart (at CT I think) but it had an additional column that also showed the expected life expectancy decreasing as the colour temperature increased. ie most expensive = shortest life. Maybe they don't admit to that anymore.

It's probably either the coating that makes the light bulb run hotter but more likely because they need to overdrive the shit out of the filament to make up for the tons of light lost as a result of the coating.

Nissan_Fanboy
01-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Okay, Maybe someone can help me out here.
I can't see shit with my civic at night,
i actually have to turn them off and on to see if there actually working.
Can someone give me the name of bulbs and what i can run?

clem24
01-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Nissan_Fanboy
Okay, Maybe someone can help me out here.
I can't see shit with my civic at night,
i actually have to turn them off and on to see if there actually working.
Can someone give me the name of bulbs and what i can run?

Clean them?

Ok just joking. If you can't see shit, either your reflector is fucked or maybe your lens is scratched to hell?

94 Civic is probably dual filament H4. Heh for $300 I'll sell you a properly shielded, non re-based hi/lo HID kit (very rare Catz, before they recalled them all, made in Japan). :D

Speed_69
01-07-2010, 05:09 PM

Clean them?

Ok just joking. If you can't see shit, either your reflector is fucked or maybe your lens is scratched to hell?

94 Civic is probably dual filament H4. Heh for $300 I'll sell you a properly shielded, non re-based hi/lo HID kit (very rare Catz, before they recalled them all, made in Japan). :D

Don't older civics fit 9003 bulbs? not H4.

clem24
01-08-2010, 08:47 AM

Don't older civics fit 9003 bulbs? not H4.

Haha that's the same bulb dude. H4 = European designation, 9003 = DOT.

Speed_69
01-08-2010, 10:18 AM

Haha that's the same bulb dude. H4 = European designation, 9003 = DOT.

Do 9006 Bulbs have a european designation?

Nissan_Fanboy
01-08-2010, 11:10 AM

Clean them?

well im sure there not scrathed, but im not 100% sure.
you can see them about 10 feet in front of the car, its just very faint you know.

jaylo
01-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Best one I have tried (and still using) is the PIAA extreme white halogen bulbs from Mopac.

I went through all the Sylvania Silverstars, Ultra, and Xtra vision and they burnt out in less than a year.

my PIAA is still good, installed June of 2008

clem24
01-08-2010, 03:38 PM

Do 9006 Bulbs have a european designation?

Could be HB4 but I don't think so because 9006 was originally designed in the US, where was H4 was designed in Europe and 9003 in the US, and later they allowed H4 to be sold as 9003. But essentially they are the same thing.