PDA

View Full Version : New 1TB WesternDigital HD - Delayed write fail?

Afrodeziak
01-05-2010, 12:32 PM
I just popped a brand new WD hard drive into my file server. It's the 4th drive. It's not really a true server, no raid, etc.

2 are IDE
2 are now SATA

Bios recognizes it
Windows recognizes it

until....

I start to write to it. Everything seems to transfer fine and then I go look back at it and I get a "delayed write error"

The drive disappears from the device manager and won't return until I restart the PC.

I've tried a different SATA port, as well SATA cable.
Turned off the caching in properties of the drive as well.

I do have another computer I could test the drive in as well. That will be my next step, but I am doing some research before I get the chance to try that tonight.

Mem. Express said it's possibly a faulty Hard drive, which to me seems odd since it's brand new, but that's their call.

GQBalla
01-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak

Mem. Express said it's possibly a faulty Hard drive, which to me seems odd since it's brand new, but that's their call.

this.

how would it be odd?

could have been DOA.

i wouldn't even test it on another computer

Afrodeziak
01-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Cool. Thank you for the second on that idea.

I guess, it's just a pain in the ass to drive all the way back, but might be all I can do.

I price matched.. karma perhaps. :) haha

Xtrema
01-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Try another one and if it's still fails, try to look for BIOS/firmware/driver upgrades.

Grogador
01-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Sounds like a faulty drive, check the SMART logs using a drive tool. Make sure your power supply is up to task.

Afrodeziak
01-05-2010, 03:27 PM
SMART logs with the WD tool show this info.

http://www.betacuts.com/test/1tb.jpg
I'm not quite sure what it all means.

The main dialogue says it's a "pass". I just ran a quick test which also passed.

Just ran the extended test and it errored "Too many bad sectors" and stopped the test.
The drive then dropped from my device manager.

Looks like it's going back to the RMA Bin

To follow up: I took it back, had a replacement and it's been working since install. So I guess it was just a shit drive.