PDA

View Full Version : What's the best phone plan/contract right now?

Manhattan
01-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Been on a month to month plan for a while. I'm looking to sign a contract with someone to get a new Blackberry.

Don't really need e-mail/data/web. Mostly only use it for txt and bbm. Any suggestions? :D

Kloubek
01-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Not sure what bbm is, but if you only need it for text, then buying a regular querty keyboard phone is your best bet. Koodo provides great, inexpensive plans.

Once you move into smartphones, you're paying triple. At least.

dj_rice
01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Wind

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
BBM=blackberry messenger?

DJ_NAV
01-05-2010, 01:31 PM
wind. $80 unlimited everything.. canada and us wide too. no contract.

Manhattan
01-05-2010, 01:34 PM
BBM = Blackberry messenger

LongCity
01-05-2010, 01:42 PM
You need data for BBM do you not?

dj_rice
01-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by LongCity
You need data for BBM do you not?

That is correct. BBM is like emailing people using data.

ClearBluewater
01-05-2010, 01:50 PM
WIND = biggest piece of shit right now

Their coverage is beyond terrible, and you are gonna be using the OLD AS FUCK edge network.

Check out their coverage maps though seriously before signing up, and good luck with the 450 dollars your gonna be paying for a blackberry cuz they have no contract.

scat19
01-05-2010, 03:16 PM
don't as vega. He'll suck you off if you to sign up to WIND.

:rofl:

dj_rice
01-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by scat19
don't as vega. He'll suck you off if you to sign up to WIND.

:rofl:

Vagabond?So that's why you signed up with Wind.

spike98
01-05-2010, 03:32 PM
The best way is to call up the competitors and see what they will give you if you switch carriers to them. Then call your current carrier and see if they will beat what you were offered by a different carrier.

Speak with the retentions department with all of the carriers. They have access to special plans and discounts. Be nice, dont be an ass and be genuinely ready to bail if they dont offer you something that will make you want to stay.

msommers
01-05-2010, 03:39 PM
^^ Exactly. Be realistic, genuie but most importantly logical. Provide reason why you would go with another company provided your current carrier didn't do one better. Figure out dollar amounts.

For example, I was at a point in my contract where it was cheaper to buy out and go to another company, get a better and cheaper plan than what I had and get the phone for cheaper (since I didn't get 3yr promo pricing). I had the numbers ready and basically said, what will do you otherwise I will cancel. It was a bit of back and forth, with me essentially saying, look it makes me sense financially for me to stay unless you beat this. Well, they did.

I also had another problem and was ready to cancel with Telus because of their garbage voice quality problems on the new network. I explained that, I'm paying for a service that is not working. Once you talk to retentions, they are much more willing to help, seem smarter than the regular reps and far more understanding. This issue eventually got sorted out once I talked to L&R.

Like I said, be logical and reasonable. Only an idiot will argue with you, and if that is the case, why choose that company.

With all that said, I've heard the best things out of Bell. But if you're a new customer, of course you'll have zero-room to negotiate anything.

dino_martini
01-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Who are you with now?

Phone up retentions for that company:
LNR BELL - 1 866 313 1086
LNR TELUS - 1 877 279 3100
LNR ROGERS - 1 888 936 7283
LNR FIDO - 1 888 481 3436

Be reasonable and see what they can do for you.

I would wait to switch to Wind, their network is not ready yet. If you want to swap to Wind I would say stay month-to-month right now with your current provider and just wait.

Wind doesn't even cover all of Calgary yet.

Spoons
01-05-2010, 10:00 PM
For those who have been suggesting Wind... Have you seen their coverage.

Unless you want to pay roaming fees in south Calgary, or anywhere outside of Calgary pretty well... Go with Wind!

Never the less, Wind IS sick. Really good plans, definitely bringing some more vibrant competition to a very stale market. Only thing is their coverage.

I will wait till Wind gets an actual decent footing. Meanwhile, buy an unlocked phone from ebay (since Fido's phone selection isn't that great) and go with them. Some of the best plans, and they will be forced to match Wind.

K3RMIT.
01-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

That is correct. BBM is like emailing people using data.

Not sure if any other phone company has this as well, but rogers has unlimited BBM and E-mail, but you arent assigned any amount of data. So technically your just ristricted to just bbm and email.

i dont know if anyone knows what im talking about

j.lai
01-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by K3RMIT.

Not sure if any other phone company has this as well, but rogers has unlimited BBM and E-mail, but you arent assigned any amount of data. So technically your just ristricted to just bbm and email.

i dont know if anyone knows what im talking about

yeah, theres a $30 value pack from Rogers that has unlimited IM (BBM,MSN) and unlimited email,unlimited text, call display and voice mail but you'll be only restricted to those services, if you use the browser or GPS, you'll be charged

Vagabond142
01-06-2010, 04:24 AM
I don't suck dick for people signing up to Wind. It is the best plan if you DON'T travel much outside the city, which I do... well, none of. I'm 100% in city right now, so it's a perfect plan for me.

To the OP, if you do a lot of travelling, then going with an established network on a contract is a good way to go. If you are based solely in-city, then weigh your options, call places, talk to people. Research research research.