PDA

View Full Version : Fixing MDF moulding - door header

no_joke
01-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I have a piece of MDF moulding that is used for a header for a door frame. Basically imagine if someone took two bites out of it. I have both pieces and I was wondering what the best way to reattach them would be. I bought some "Gorilla Glue" from Home Depot but maybe there is something more appropriate for MDF? What would be the best way to cover up the crack/contact between the pieces and the original moulding?

FYI, MDF stands for medium density fibreboard:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

Ntense_SpecV
01-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Use your glue that you already purchased - it will be strong enough. Then take a piece of sand paper and make sure to smooth the glue line down. Don't sand to far into the mdf though. If you can see the crack use either wood filler or drywall compound to finish the crack - prep for paint and done.

thetransporter
01-05-2010, 03:23 PM
If possible, don't even bother with MDF and just replace it with its wood counterpart.

barmanjay
01-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV
Use your glue that you already purchased - it will be strong enough. Then take a piece of sand paper and make sure to smooth the glue line down. Don't sand to far into the mdf though. If you can see the crack use either wood filler or drywall compound to finish the crack - prep for paint and done.

Use DryDex for filling the crack

Personally I would use contractors wood glue: I know it is paintable with little problem.

I've never used Gorrilla glue and don't know if the paint/primer will adhere well to it.

Ntense_SpecV
01-05-2010, 04:12 PM
I had to look up drydex (I should have mentioned spackling instead of compound) - I will be purchasing some shortly as I like the dry time indicator . I was using wood filler when I installed my baseboards. What a pain that was, as sanding took forever. I talked to a painter after I had already finished them and he mentioned that whenever he needs to patch before painting he just uses spackling as it sands easier and still hides the nail holes as well as wood filler. And yes Carpenters wood glue is still king for most wood related joining.

no_joke
01-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks, I was thinking of using the drywall compound or spackling paste to cover the crack but wasn't too confident with this MDF stuff.