PDA

View Full Version : Renting an SUV/Truck for 1+ months

Palmiros
01-06-2010, 03:04 AM
Hey guys, as title states I'm looking to rent an SUV/Truck (4WD) for probably around 2 months. I need this vehicle for work and I'm wondering what the best way to approach this is. Am I better off renting it for a week or two, and then extending? (lower price?) or should I ask them for some sort of "extended rental" discount? I've never had to rent a car, so any experiences as to who I should go with, and what sorts of discounts they offer would be great.
Also, one last thing which I didn't think of initially, but seems to be a big deal for some of the car rental companies, is my age; I'm 20 y/o, clean record, been driving for 6 years; some companies seem to only rent to 25+?

Thanks in advance!

dj_rice
01-06-2010, 03:06 AM
If your 20, you ain't gonna be getting a SUV rented out to you I think. You might not even get a full size sedan. Your too young.

chkolny541
01-06-2010, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
If your 20, you ain't gonna be getting a SUV rented out to you I think. You might not even get a full size sedan. Your too young.

werd, for the most part, although there have been a few agencies that will bend rules

topmade
01-06-2010, 07:31 AM
2 months is a hella long time to rent any vehicle. It's a bit more of a hassle, but if you have the cash, buy a cheap used one, then sell it when you're done. You may even make money on it if you strike a good deal. Or if work is the one paying for it then just rent it and just call around as I have heard of places renting to people under 25.

Supa Dexta
01-06-2010, 07:41 AM
I know a couple patch guys that have had to rent something when their truck is broke down or something... It's expensive, couple g's a month I believe.

Tik-Tok
01-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by topmade
2 months is a hella long time to rent any vehicle. It's a bit more of a hassle, but if you have the cash, buy a cheap used one, then sell it when you're done. You may even make money on it if you strike a good deal. Or if work is the one paying for it then just rent it and just call around as I have heard of places renting to people under 25.

This.

It's probably going to cost you $2000/month for a truck, you can buy a late 90's, early 00's domestic 4x4 for $3000, $1000 to fix what's necessary, and sell it when you're done for almost what you paid for it.

Zhariak
01-06-2010, 09:07 AM
I could be totally wrong here....

Most rental companies say you must be 25 years old to rent. This isn't true...

Legally you have to be 18 or over. Ultimately most companies wont' rent to someone under the age of 21 unless it is under a corporate account.

If your over 21 but under 25 they might try to gouge you, but if you already have an expensive vehicle with insurance that is transferable, or if it is a professional joint, you should be able to get same pricing...

Again I could be wrong, so if anyone knows better, please don't flame, just correct me...

SKR
01-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I know a couple patch guys that have had to rent something when their truck is broke down or something... It's expensive, couple g's a month I believe.

I had to rent a truck from Visa in High Level a few years ago. For 10 days it was $1100.

Palmiros
01-06-2010, 01:55 PM
I need the truck for work, I'm hearing ~$1500/month which is acceptable, considering it's going to be covered by my work. The buying of a used truck/fixing seems like a hassle, I need it by the 10th or so. Thanks for the advice, if anyone has any other leads please let me know.

GQBalla
01-06-2010, 02:05 PM
if its covered by your work see if you can use their corporate account (if they have one) so you can rent a SUV/truck

TomcoPDR
01-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Palmiros
I need the truck for work, I'm hearing ~$1500/month which is acceptable, considering it's going to be covered by my work. The buying of a used truck/fixing seems like a hassle, I need it by the 10th or so. Thanks for the advice, if anyone has any other leads please let me know.

Originally posted by GQBalla
if its covered by your work see if you can use their corporate account (if they have one) so you can rent a SUV/truck

You should be fine OP if it's covered by work... if the rental agencies has that "25+" rule, just get your manager/boss/supervisor to rent it under the corporate name, and you as one of the drivers.

In terms on "best pricing" appoarch, talk to the branch manager directly and ask them what you said here. (rent 1 week then extend, or just rent for 1 long term)... Sometimes you bump into a nice person and they'll voluntarily give you the best deal (i.e. recommend you to rent on weekend to weekend to get weekend rate for the rest of the week, etc..., instead of weekday rates for the rest of the rental, etc..)... Unfortuntely and hopefully you won't get those assholes who are just looking to get their 0.00001% of commission off of whatever they can charge out.

As you chat with them, try offering some "perk" from something within your job. (i.e. a car detailer offering the manager to bring their personal car into their shop for a clean, a bouncer offering free cover, stripper offering lapdance, etc...)... Be sincere in your offering (i.e. give your business card), they can smell a bullshiter.... Those counter reps/managers are people too, and honestly, IMO, most the time their job just plain sucks, so if you walk in there chat it up a little, make their day go a little smoother, then chances are they'll try to do the same.

Let us know how it works out... my opinion comes from past employment in the rental agency, not in customer service tho. As well as chillin' out with customer service reps within the company. As well as a non-employee renting from different rental agencies all over.

You can also try calling the "reservation centre" of the rental agencies, sometimes direct location rates are different than what nation-wide rates are. (sometimes better, sometimes worst)

Tons of flexiblities in this industry.

bituerbo
01-07-2010, 12:59 PM
I've seen SUV's on leasebusters with ~3 months remaining before. People don't want the buyout and want to get into something new a little faster. You pay the lease for the final few months, just make sure you get the vehicle checked over by the dealership to ensure there is nothing extra you would have to pay for.

2EFNFAST
01-07-2010, 01:30 PM
CMP has daily/weekly/monthly/etc... rental rates for trucks & suvs. Rented one for 5days once.

tentacles
01-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Uhaul will rent a truck to anyone over 18.