PDA

View Full Version : Whale Wars now escalating

Xtrema
01-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Ady Gil now sunk by the Japanese

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/whale-watch/japanese-ship-sinks-whale-protest-boat--ady-gil-20100106-ltp4.html

ZenOps
01-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Nuke the Whales!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8277924.stm

alloroc
01-06-2010, 10:06 AM
A whaling vessel would have the right of way if they got hit it was thier fault.

almerick
01-06-2010, 10:08 AM
http://www.ecorazzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/japan.jpg

Someone was bound to post this

Supa Dexta
01-06-2010, 10:26 AM
^And you were just the retard for the job!

Xtrema
01-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Brw6JN0lQXY

That's one damn nice boat ruined.

JfuckinC
01-06-2010, 10:29 AM
is that the batboat???? wtf?

almerick
01-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
^And you were just the retard for the job!

ZenOps
01-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Maybe they thought they were Somali pirates? :hijack:

ExtraSlow
01-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Fucking sea shepherd assholes.

Sugarphreak
01-06-2010, 10:35 AM

BerserkerCatSplat
01-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Hahaha, OWNED! That's pretty much made my day.

T-Dubbs
01-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Fucking sea shepherd assholes.
you are an ignorant prick
these whales are being slaughtered, and the shepards are the only people trying to stop them.

cruelty to animals is not cool

flipstah
01-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
is that the batboat???? wtf?

Wonder how fast that can thing go... It looks quick.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs

these whales are being slaughtered

The whales the Japanese are harvesting are a species not even close to being endangered, and the Japanese take a very small percentage of the population. One might even call the whaling sustainable.

But, hey, we slaughter cows by the millions. I assume you think that's "cruelty to animals" as well?

Tik-Tok
01-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

It's in the first link. Range is unreal!

FACTS ON THE ADY GIL

Top speed: 40 knots (74 kmh)
Cruising speed: 20 knots (37 km/h)
Range: Halfway around the world - 20,000 km
Cost: Estimated $1 million
Length: 24 metres
Weight: 16 tonnes
Construction: Carbon fibre foam sandwich with kevlar armour.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

FACTS ON THE ADY GIL

Top speed: N/A
Cruising speed: N/A
Range: Depends on the current
Cost of repair: Lots
Length: Somewhat less than 24 metres
Weight: Somewhat less than 16 tonnes
Construction: Carbon fibre foam sandwich with kevlar armour, water, hippie tears.

Updated to current status.

Tik-Tok
01-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

:rofl:

flipstah
01-06-2010, 10:57 AM

LOL brutal. :rofl:

FLARE
01-06-2010, 10:57 AM

The whales the Japanese are harvesting are a species not even close to being endangered, and the Japanese take a very small percentage of the population. One might even call the whaling sustainable.

But, hey, we slaughter cows by the millions. I assume you think that's "cruelty to animals" as well?

We have farms to grow our millions of cows... the ocean is not our farm is it?

Or am I the ignorant one here CatSplat?

Tik-Tok
01-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by FLARE

Honestly, you can't expect the world to work as it did for thousands of years, it's already far beyond that. As said, they aren't putting any species into extinction, so it's not as bad as those people make it out.

http://www.osovo.com/diagram/foodchain.gif

Xtrema
01-06-2010, 11:05 AM

It can definitely outrun the whaling ships which make these idiots even more incompetent.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-06-2010, 11:08 AM

Ignorant, no; naive, perhaps. Where do you think much of the fish you buy at the supermarket comes from? The vast majority is not from fish farms, it's from the ocean. In that sense, yes; the ocean is our farm. As long as fish/whale populations are monitored and responsibly sustained, I'm all for whaling, fishing, whatever.

ExtraSlow
01-06-2010, 11:11 AM

Or am I the ignorant one here CatSplat? Yes, you are ignorant. Eating animals that grow in the wild is much better for the earth than huge industrial farming operations. Those whales have years of happy existence in the open seas before being harvested, unlike a steer in a feedlot.
if whaling is cruel, then pretty much every form of meat harvesting is cruel and we should all become vegetarians.

Except, I like meat, and I'm going to keep eating it, and given the chance I'd eat whale meat too.

EDIT: And don't get me started on fish farms. Those shitty operations harm the wild fish, and produce an inferior product. Fish farming is terrible for the health of the oceans.

badatusrnames
01-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs

you are an ignorant prick
these whales are being slaughtered, and the shepards are the only people trying to stop them.

cruelty to animals is not cool

I really hope you're a vegetarian then.

HondaKid
01-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by alloroc
A whaling vessel would have the right of way if they got hit it was thier fault.

An expert on maritime law right here on Beyond. Imagine that.

jjmac
01-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Yes, you are ignorant. Eating animals that grow in the wild is much better for the earth than huge industrial farming operations. Those whales have years of happy existence in the open seas before being harvested, unlike a steer in a feedlot.
if whaling is cruel, then pretty much every form of meat harvesting is cruel and we should all become vegetarians.

Except, I like meat, and I'm going to keep eating it, and given the chance I'd eat whale meat too.

EDIT: And don't get me started on fish farms. Those shitty operations harm the wild fish, and produce an inferior product. Fish farming is terrible for the health of the oceans.

I couldn't agree more

HondaKid
01-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Anyone who supports the harvesting of whales has no grounds to stand on from a health point of view. Would you really eat this low end meat?:

http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/whales/facts_about_whales_and_whaling/human_health_concerns_of_whale_meat.html

Anyone who knows the true issues of this situation knows Japan only engages in this harvest to support a small area of the country which is economically tied to the whaling industry.

Get an education in this area, hell Google for three minutes then come back and defend this practice on the grounds of "wild meat" is healthy, extinction of a species, etc.

Flame me if you like after reading a bit of truth, otherwise you are simply being ignorant which in my opinion is a bigger issue.

KrisYYC
01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Isn't that Paul Watson the guy who faked being shot to ham it up for the TV show "Whale Wars"?

TKRIS
01-06-2010, 11:32 AM
I love it when people conjure inaginary arguments to debate, then fellate themselves for their success. haha

"The real issue with whaling is that they live in the water, which is wet. Anyone who disagrees with me is obviously an idiot."

Supa Dexta
01-06-2010, 11:32 AM
The part that pisses me off is the world has decided not to hunt whales, yet they use 'reasearch' as a way around it, when it's not research at all.. Just because they aren't in your backyard, you ignore that fact.

ZenOps
01-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by HondaKid
Anyone who supports the harvesting of whales has no grounds to stand on from a health point of view. Would you really eat this low end meat?:

http://www.hsus.org/hsi/oceans/whales/facts_about_whales_and_whaling/human_health_concerns_of_whale_meat.html

Anyone who knows the true issues of this situation knows Japan only engages in this harvest to support a small area of the country which is economically tied to the whaling industry.

Get an education in this area, hell Google for three minutes then come back and defend this practice on the grounds of "wild meat" is healthy, extinction of a species, etc.

Flame me if you like after reading a bit of truth, otherwise you are simply being ignorant which in my opinion is a bigger issue.

Oh phuleez... DDT is in everything not just whales. Tuna probably has more mercury content than an equivalent portion of whale.

Hooray for Tuna skin sushi!

Tik-Tok
01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
The part that pisses me off is the world has decided not to hunt whales, yet they use 'reasearch' as a way around it, when it's not research at all.. Just because they aren't in your backyard, you ignore that fact.

The Japanese convinced the "World" to restart whaling for research, and by convincing the World, I mean bribing just enough countries (all landlocked by the way), to get the vote.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-06-2010, 11:39 AM

Nobody in this entire thread was arguing in favour of whaling because of health reasons. I couldn't possibly care less whether it's good for people or not, it's their choice to eat it or not. :dunno:

flipstah
01-06-2010, 11:42 AM

We have fish farms... :dunno:

Ignorant, no; naive, perhaps. Where do you think much of the fish you buy at the supermarket comes from? The vast majority is not from fish farms, it's from the ocean. In that sense, yes; the ocean is our farm. As long as fish/whale populations are monitored and responsibly sustained, I'm all for whaling, fishing, whatever.

Sustainability is a tricky thing for humans to do; some can do it but most of the time, we over-do/use/harvest etc. anything.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-06-2010, 12:19 PM

Sustainability is a tricky thing for humans to do; some can do it but most of the time, we over-do/use/harvest etc. anything.

Minke whales are an extremely common whale, harvesting less than 0.2% of the population per year (665,074 whales according to the IWC[2008], assuming 1000 whales harvested by Japan) is hardly outside the realm of sustainability. The 1000 whale number is actually higher than the actual yearly take, which hovers around the 750 mark.

The Japanese whale hunt is not driving the whale population to extinction, endangerment, or otherwise having any noticeable impact on the Minke whale populations and associated ecosystems. Period.

flipstah
01-06-2010, 12:31 PM

Minke whales are an extremely common whale, harvesting less than 0.2% of the population per year (665,074 whales according to the IWC[2008], assuming 1000 whales harvested by Japan) is hardly outside the realm of sustainability. The 1000 whale number is actually higher than the actual yearly take, which hovers around the 750 mark.

The Japanese whale hunt is not driving the whale population to extinction, endangerment, or otherwise having any noticeable impact on the Minke whale populations and associated ecosystems. Period.

So long as it's not Free Willy, I'm okay with that.

jjmac
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM

Or Flipper

Masked Bandit
01-06-2010, 12:52 PM
I have to say I'm surprised by the content in this thread.

I thought it was going to be about two guys fighting over a fat chick at the bar!

CUG
01-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I have to say I'm surprised by the content in this thread.

I thought it was going to be about two guys fighting over a fat chick at the bar! You know, I was thinking it was about really fat chicks fighting in creamed corn.

That boat looks fast.

msommers
01-06-2010, 02:08 PM
"It's creamed corn, I brought it from home. I don't like the creamed corn they have here. It's too crunchy." - Mayor West

HondaKid
01-06-2010, 02:17 PM

Nobody in this entire thread was arguing in favour of whaling because of health reasons. I couldn't possibly care less whether it's good for people or not, it's their choice to eat it or not. :dunno:

There was mention of a poster who said he would eat whale if it was offered. So there. My point, lost on you, was that no one can argue eating whale meat is a good thing as a meat alternative. The meat is full of poisons, and the Joe mentioning tuna as being the same as whale simply does not have a proper background or understanding of the issue. Really people read up on a topic before slapping down a "truth", reading takes effort I understand that, and some are really lazy. Easier to tap a keyboard than actually look into an issue.

I am done with this thread, no further postings until some of learn how to learn.

flipstah
01-06-2010, 02:26 PM

There was mention of a poster who said he would eat whale if it was offered. So there. My point, lost on you, was that no one can argue eating whale meat is a good thing as a meat alternative. The meat is full of poisons, and the Joe mentioning tuna as being the same as whale simply does not have a proper background or understanding of the issue. Really people read up on a topic before slapping down a "truth", reading takes effort I understand that, and some are really lazy. Easier to tap a keyboard than actually look into an issue.

I am done with this thread, no further postings until some of learn how to learn.

I think the Inuit people would disagree with that since it is part of their traditional diet. And so far, they're doing alright. :thumbsup:

BerserkerCatSplat
01-06-2010, 02:30 PM

There was mention of a poster who said he would eat whale if it was offered. So there.

Someone says they'd eat it if offered, therefore we're arguing whale meat is a viable beef alternative? Solid logic there, skipper. :rofl: :rofl:

TKRIS
01-06-2010, 02:37 PM

Hahaha

http://neoavatara.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/wizardscarcrowclose.jpg

atgilchrist
01-06-2010, 02:50 PM

Can't argue with that logic!

bawlls
01-06-2010, 02:56 PM
So many "factual" statements, and yet so little evidence.

How do you know what whales they are killing, and how close to extinction said species is? Care to provide some sort of referencing to this?

Theres a lot wrong with the world, and I'm not exactly sure where the importance of whales comes in, but I'd say on the whole its pretty damn insignificant.

However, anyway you look at it, you are still reducing genetic diversity and mass killing of whales has unknown ecological side effects. Considering this, I would think anyone could agree that it is wrong.

On the discussion of farming and what not: Killing a whale in its natural habitat is entirely different then farming livestock. For example, if you kill a cow in its natural environment, your messing with ecosystems, since that cow had a multitude of roles in its habitat. on the other hand, kill a cow on a farm, and you haven't done the same harm.

KKY
01-06-2010, 03:17 PM
I don't know man... all this whale meat talk is making me hungry. and I just had lunch!

atgilchrist
01-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by bawlls

On the discussion of farming and what not: Killing a whale in its natural habitat is entirely different then farming livestock. For example, if you kill a cow in its natural environment, your messing with ecosystems, since that cow had a multitude of roles in its habitat. on the other hand, kill a cow on a farm, and you haven't done the same harm.

No, instead you've ripped up native prairie/forest/whatever in order to create the farm, completely disrupting the local ecosystem, doing more harm. Nevermind that domestic cows are completely different than anything wild.

msommers
01-06-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm not exactly sure where the importance of whales comes in, but I'd say on the whole its pretty damn insignificant.

Well played sir!!!!

Xtrema
01-06-2010, 03:33 PM
For example, if you kill a cow in its natural environment, your messing with ecosystems, since that cow had a multitude of roles in its habitat.

To be in my burger?

Supa Dexta
01-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Whaling is actually a pretty interesting topic.. I got onto it one night 2 or 3 yrs ago, and spent the entire night reading.. It goes back a loooooong way, and it's amazing how many were killed, just for whale oil..etc heres a start>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling

These things used to be in near every harbour around the world.. Nowadays it would be a huge news story for a whale to pass by in a harbour.

badatusrnames
01-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist

No, instead you've ripped up native prairie/forest/whatever in order to create the farm, completely disrupting the local ecosystem, doing more harm. Nevermind that domestic cows are completely different than anything wild.

:werd: Free range meat actually has less environmental impact than farmed food.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-06-2010, 04:35 PM
[B]So many "factual" statements, and yet so little evidence.

How do you know what whales they are killing, and how close to extinction said species is? Care to provide some sort of referencing to this?

Uh, what? The Japanese whalers harvest the very abundant Minke whales, as overseen by the IWC, and it's been like that for years. You can read many IWC reports if you feel the need. The IWC have set them a quota of ~950 Minkes (which they didn't fill last year) and 10 Fin whales ( of which they caught zero.)

However, anyway you look at it, you are still reducing genetic diversity and mass killing of whales has unknown ecological side effects. Considering this, I would think anyone could agree that it is wrong.

Hey, speaking of unreferenced "facts"... you have no sources to prove that killing 0.2% of a population significantly reduces genetic diversity or sweeping ecological effects. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that logic dictates that if a 0.2% population change caused drastic problems for the whales, they'd have been extinct eons ago.

It is certainly different, in fact it is far more natural to kill an animal in the wild (as any predator would) than to harvest them in as livestock. When you consider that the number of whales killed by whaling pales in comparison to the number killed accidentally by ships, it becomes rather trivial.

01RedDX
01-06-2010, 04:50 PM

flipstah
01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

You are wrong for defending the practice, and you are wrong for providing misinformation to defend them, just because you are partial to their culture.

First of all, they don't distinguish between cetaceans and kill all they can find, including dolphins, porpoises and whales.

When they destroyed all the blue whales around their hemisphere, they rented bases from Chile to slaughter the rest of them.

They have secret coves that are sealed off to outsiders where they herd dolphins and other cetaceans for inhumane slaughter.

They poison their own people with mercury by selling the dolphin meat as whale meat, including school lunch programs.

Disgusting, especially for a supposedly "civilized" society like Japan.

May I ask where you're getting this info from? I need a good read.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-06-2010, 04:59 PM

You are wrong for defending the practice, and you are wrong for providing misinformation to defend them, just because you are partial to their culture.

Partial to their culture? What? I don't give a shit about that and I don't care who's hunting the whales. As long as it's done responsibly, it's irrelevant.

First of all, they don't distinguish between cetaceans and kill all they can find, including dolphins, porpoises and whales.

When they destroyed all the blue whales around their hemisphere, they rented bases from Chile to slaughter the rest of them.

They have secret coves that are sealed off to outsiders where they herd dolphins and other cetaceans for inhumane slaughter.

They poison their own people with mercury by selling the dolphin meat as whale meat, including school lunch programs.

Disgusting, especially for a supposedly "civilized" society like Japan. [/B]

That's a whale of a tale there, sonny. Got any proof to back up those claims? I find it a bit odd that all you claim is happening in the Antarctic without anyone complaining. I'm aware that there is a dolphin hunt in the Taiji area, but that's not really relevant to the discussion here.

Edit: Ah, I'll bet you watched The Cove, that would explain your post. That film had nothing to do with the Minke whale hunt in the Antarctic, so I'm not sure why you thought it was relevant here.

mycroftxxx
01-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Mww_afnLkl4

Bon Appetit

autosm
01-06-2010, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
[B]

Partial to their culture? What? I don't give a shit about that and I don't care who's hunting the whales. As long as it's done responsibly, it's irrelevant.

I don't think "hunting whales" and "done responsibly" can be accomplished unless they are hunted by aboriginals in small boats with hand thrown harpoons.

Unless its for research purposes on a factory processing ship? Then is ok:facepalm:

LongCity
01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
... And that guy is saying what?

01RedDX
01-06-2010, 06:13 PM

mycroftxxx
01-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by LongCity
to sum it up he said YUM

I was pretty suprised to see whale meat being used in a convenience ready to eat package. the vid poster seemed to as well.

lol @ his last comment: "to sum it all up, this curry is like tolstoy's war and peace. the curry and the rice is the peace and you drop in the whale and you bring out such a balance"

on second thought it doesn't sound funny translated.

95EagleAWD
01-06-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by jjmac

Or Flipper

Both of which contained no whales, just dolphins.

;)

BerserkerCatSplat
01-06-2010, 08:05 PM

Can I just ignore this question like you ignored this one?

You're kidding, right? I posted the current (as of 2008) estimated Minke whale population numbers waaay back in this thread along with who provided them. Here's the quote for you:

Minke whales are an extremely common whale, harvesting less than 0.2% of the population per year (665,074 whales according to the IWC[2008], assuming 1000 whales harvested by Japan) is hardly outside the realm of sustainability.

I believe that number came from this document from the IWC site. (http://www.iwcoffice.org/_documents/sci_com/SC60docs/SC-60-IA8.pdf)

Besides, you're asking me to cite sources after you compare eating whales to eating cows? Really, it doesn't take much scientific knowledge to realize why Apex species are so important in ecology, and that cows are not apex species.

Haha, you claim I dodged your question, and then you follow up with a blatant question dodge? Classy.

Oh, and Minke whales are in no way apex species. The only whales that are, are Orca and Sperm whales. As whales go, Minkes are pretty small.

Why is it irrelevant? You're saying that whaling is ok in one spot, and not another, and that they can be trusted to monitor stocks and kill only abundant species, and they've proved repeatedly that they can't.

Hmm, let's see. The thread was discussing merits of the whaling of Minke whales in Antarctica, hence how bringing up killing dolphins somewhere else isn't really relevant to the discussion. Of course I can say whaling in one place is acceptable while it's unacceptable in another, that's what's called performing a critical analysis instead of just blindly saying "whaling=bad." Responsible, closely-monitored whaling is perfectly acceptable. Whaling that dramatically reduces populations is unacceptable and should be regulated. I don't see how that's difficult for you to understand. :dunno:

Let's look at the whaling regulations for a minute. The Japanese are a part of the IWC, which is the group that placed the international ban on unrestricted commercial whaling back in the 80's. They analyze whale populations and assign quotas based on those studies. The IWC has given the Japanese whalers a certain number of Minke whales they can take, and that catch is monitored by the IWC. For example, in the 07-08 season, they had a quota of ~950 Minkes and 10 Fins. They took ~750 Minkes and zero Fin whales. Hence, you can see that they're not exactly contravening the international sustainable standards here, and are in fact killing fewer wales than they are allowed to.

Here's a fun bit of trivia: Following the IWC guidelines is entirely voluntary and countries can leave at any time. Many have left the group, like Norway. Oh, and Canada.

And I've read and watched a lot of material on the subject but yes, I watched The Cove, the award winning documentary that won 14 awards at 11 international festivals and is widely considered to be the best environmental documentary in decades. ;)

I've seen it too, but I sure don't remember it being about whaling in the Antarctic. I think it was a solid film and that the cetacean hunt needs to be closely looked at, but it hardly has anything to do with the topic at hand.

01RedDX
01-06-2010, 08:35 PM

BerserkerCatSplat
01-06-2010, 08:48 PM

BTW the IWC is a joke, and so is their data.

:rofl: A stunning riposte! Riddle me this: If the IWC is such a joke, how did they manage to ban commercial whaling and cause a massive drop in the number of whales hunted yearly? Why is the IWC council dominated by anti-whaling nations?

Hey, you could even correlate the catch numbers with the dates the IWC was formed and the whaling ban if you wanted.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/CatSplat/NorwegianWhaleCatches.png

01RedDX
01-06-2010, 09:34 PM

flipstah
01-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

;)

http://lennstrand.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/free_willy-1.jpg

That's a huge-ass dolphin. ;)

Damn! All this whale meat talk makes me wanna try it out. It looks very lean like tuna. :drool:

ekguy
01-06-2010, 11:37 PM

cows are bred and raised to be slaughtered. There's no such thing as a whale farm...Thus this is not a sustainable industry in any way.

flipstah
01-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by ekguy

cows are bred and raised to be slaughtered. There's no such thing as a whale farm...Thus this is not a sustainable industry in any way.

Err.. Whales still mate in the wild, just like any abundant species. If you don't exceed their reproduction numbers, then it's a sustainable harvest.

Basically if you're not greedy, everyone's happy.

Khyron
01-07-2010, 12:08 AM
:rofl: A stunning riposte! Riddle me this: If the IWC is such a joke, how did they manage to ban commercial whaling and cause a massive drop in the number of whales hunted yearly? Why is the IWC council dominated by anti-whaling nations?

Apparently the hunt is taking place inside some sort of international sanctuary, and the protestors have the Australian law on their side. Whaling is also illegal so they Japanese are trying to get around it saying they're "doing research". The japanese were even chartering spy planes to try and get around them. If they were in their own waters, fine, but they are not.

If you poach elephant in Africa, rangers can shoot you dead. How is this any different?

PS: the South Park episode about this was timely and awesome at the same time.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

Apparently the hunt is taking place inside some sort of international sanctuary, and the protestors have the Australian law on their side. Whaling is also illegal so they Japanese are trying to get around it saying they're "doing research". The japanese were even chartering spy planes to try and get around them. If they were in their own waters, fine, but they are not.

If you poach elephant in Africa, rangers can shoot you dead. How is this any different?

PS: the South Park episode about this was timely and awesome at the same time.

The "research" quota was given to them by the IWC as a sort of token gesture. It allows some restricted whaling of a very specific, common species, but a drastically reduced amount than was previously done. The sanctuary was created by the IWC, hence how they can provide access.

Additionally, much the same way that Arctic waters are contested, the Australian claim over the waters has never been ratified by any international body. Also, if the Australian government is so concerned, why haven't they done anything about it?

It seems you think wild animals are incapable of reproduction. By that logic, deer, moose, elk, and other game animals should all be endangered or extinct, seeing as we kill them and do not raise them for slaughter.

alloroc
01-07-2010, 09:03 AM
They are a voluntary organization with no authority to enforce anything, and Japanese whalers constantly flout the rules.

BTW, the graph you posted is for Norwegian quotas and catches of the very common Minke whale. It's a very small part of a larger problem.
It doesn't show the disappearance of many species of whales and overall shrinking cetacean population around the world.

I am pretty neutral on this topic but I do have this question....

Assuming that man has already overhunted baleen and sperm whales to the point of no return what would happen to the earth if the whales (including killer whales - yes I know they are a dolphin) were actually hunted to extinction?
1. The earth will stop rotating and we will all be sucked into another dimension?
2. Nothing.
3. Seal, Sea Otter populations would rise. Sea Urchin populations would decrease Kelp forests would restore.

Hate to say it but the answer is 3.

jjmac
01-07-2010, 09:23 AM

;)

Oh shit LOL I thought dolphins were considered whales hahaha but then again I'm no marine biologist to back up my thoughts fml...haha

95EagleAWD
01-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by jjmac

Oh shit LOL I thought dolphins were considered whales hahaha but then again I'm no marine biologist to back up my thoughts fml...haha

Different families... And Orcas or "Killer Whales" are the biggest member of the dolphin family.

jjmac
01-07-2010, 10:39 AM

Different families... And Orcas or "Killer Whales" are the biggest member of the dolphin family.

Oic

Did some googling and apparently scientist and biologist have been debating about the classifications of dolphins and orcas if they should be considered whales or not. But I think the website might be biased.

Canmorite
01-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by LongCity

Something along the lines of

"Fuck you Whale!"

01RedDX
01-07-2010, 06:15 PM

DayGlow
01-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

I am pretty neutral on this topic but I do have this question....

Assuming that man has already overhunted baleen and sperm whales to the point of no return what would happen to the earth if the whales (including killer whales - yes I know they are a dolphin) were actually hunted to extinction?
1. The earth will stop rotating and we will all be sucked into another dimension?
2. Nothing.
3. Seal, Sea Otter populations would rise. Sea Urchin populations would decrease Kelp forests would restore.

Hate to say it but the answer is 3.

A giant turd shaped space ship will appear and start destroying the earth. Then we will be saved only by a plucky crew of an outlaw spaceship lead by Cpt. Kirk going back in time and capturing a whale to bring back.

ExtraSlow
01-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
A giant turd shaped space ship will appear and start destroying the earth. Then we will be saved only by a plucky crew of an outlaw spaceship lead by Cpt. Kirk going back in time and capturing a whale to bring back.
this.

alloroc
01-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow

heh. ..

Where are the niewclear wessels?

ekguy
01-08-2010, 12:08 AM

The "research" quota was given to them by the IWC as a sort of token gesture. It allows some restricted whaling of a very specific, common species, but a drastically reduced amount than was previously done. The sanctuary was created by the IWC, hence how they can provide access.

Additionally, much the same way that Arctic waters are contested, the Australian claim over the waters has never been ratified by any international body. Also, if the Australian government is so concerned, why haven't they done anything about it?

It seems you think wild animals are incapable of reproduction. By that logic, deer, moose, elk, and other game animals should all be endangered or extinct, seeing as we kill them and do not raise them for slaughter.

No, by my logic we basically breed millions of cows for consumption. Don't see anyone out there breeding whales like we breed cows and secondly I do not believe whales are animals which reproduce quickly. At most what? One per year? Some die before maturity from being eaten, natural causes and so on. By my logic it's not a far stretch to see that it would be a very fine line between greedy and sustainable when it comes to a wild animal like a whale.

No I'm not defending Whale Wars because I think he's a crazy fucking idiot. But at the same time I definitely think killing whales is cruel.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-08-2010, 12:37 AM

No, by my logic we basically breed millions of cows for consumption. Don't see anyone out there breeding whales like we breed cows and secondly I do not believe whales are animals which reproduce quickly. At most what? One per year? Some die before maturity from being eaten, natural causes and so on. By my logic it's not a far stretch to see that it would be a very fine line between greedy and sustainable when it comes to a wild animal like a whale.

What, really? You actually think that a population of whales 65,000 strong only has one offspring per year?

I can give you two examples of hunted whales whose populations quickly rebounded after whaling regulations were put in place to protect the populations. The gray baleen whale by the 1940s was believed to be extinct. Not threatened, not endangered, extinct. Fortunately, the estimates were wrong and a very small population still lived. Since that time, the population has ballooned into tens of thousands of gray whales across multiple migration routes.

Want an even more recent example? How about humpback whales! As of 1986, the humpback whale was solidly on the Endangered list, with populations being closely monitored. Despite this, by 2008 the species has performed a huge comeback and has been not just been taken off the Endangered list; it's also off the Threatened and Vulnerable lists as well, to the point of being given Least Concern status, indicating that its population has returned to normal levels.

Keep in mind that at no point during their recovery were they completely free of whaling, as some smaller numbers were still taken.

So considering that whales reproduce much, much faster than you think they do, and that the populations devastated by hundreds of years of unrestricted whaling can recover in a few short decades, why would the concept of sustainable whaling seem so impossible?

rizfarmer
01-08-2010, 12:52 AM

What, really? You actually think that a population of whales 65,000 strong only has one offspring per year?

I can give you two examples of hunted whales whose populations quickly rebounded after whaling regulations were put in place to protect the populations. The gray baleen whale by the 1940s was believed to be extinct. Not threatened, not endangered, extinct. Fortunately, the estimates were wrong and a very small population still lived. Since that time, the population has ballooned into tens of thousands of gray whales across multiple migration routes.

Want an even more recent example? How about humpback whales! As of 1986, the humpback whale was solidly on the Endangered list, with populations being closely monitored. Despite this, by 2008 the species has performed a huge comeback and has been not just been taken off the Endangered list; it's also off the Threatened and Vulnerable lists as well, to the point of being given Least Concern status, indicating that its population has returned to normal levels.

Keep in mind that at no point during their recovery were they completely free of whaling, as some smaller numbers were still taken.

So considering that whales reproduce much, much faster than you think they do, and that the populations devastated by hundreds of years of unrestricted whaling can recover in a few short decades, why would the concept of sustainable whaling seem so impossible?

good homework but i'm pretty sure he isn't so stupid to propose the reproduction capacity of the entire species is one per year; I think he meant each female will reproduce one calf a year:rofl: :rofl:

BerserkerCatSplat
01-08-2010, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by rizfarmer

good homework but i'm pretty sure he isn't so stupid to propose the reproduction capacity of the entire species is one per year; I think he meant each female will reproduce one calf a year:rofl: :rofl:

I considered that, but that would indicate that the whale population reproduces (on average) with a doubling rate greatly exceeding that of the human race, which would contradict his point, not support it. A rather confusing statement either way.

Oh, and a quick update, the Ady Gil is now sitting at the bottom of the ocean after a botched salvage attempt.