PDA

View Full Version : BMW M1 (high performance 1-series) gets production approval from M division.

jwocky
01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
A high performance top end 1-series has been approved according to:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=307 :hitit:

BMW’s M division has started development of an M version of the 1-series coupé, set to be equipped with a twin-turbocharged six-cylinder engine producing 350bhp. The new two-door, details of which were first uncovered by Autocar back in November, has now been added to BMW’s stable of future production models, with right-hand-drive UK sales set to begin in mid-2011.

The decision to put the car into production has been attributed to an “overwhelmingly positive reaction” to recent customer clinics, according to at least one high-ranking BMW official. Aimed at attracting younger customers to BMW’s performance cars, the new coupé is set to become the M division’s most affordable model.

It will slot into the range beneath the M3 coupé, and should cost around £38,000, £8000 more than the 135i Coupé M Sport. That means it will compete directly with Audi’s forthcoming RS3.

Revealing the plans for the new 1-series-based model, M division boss Kay Segler said, “I want to set a clear signal that our products are financially accessible.

M1 details -- http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337931

bituerbo
01-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Cannot be called the M1.
Probably a tuned up 135i with an M badge.

Jlude
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
IMO, it's still going to be ugly. I really don't like the look of the 1 series at all.

LadyLuck
01-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Oh how I wish we'd get the 1 series Hatch.

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/2008_bmw_1_series_5_door_more_2.jpg

I cant count how many of these I saw in europe last year, they were everywhere!

Sugarphreak
01-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Sweet!

Mitsu3000gt
01-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Only 50HP bump from the "M"? You can get more than that with a chip. I suspect this will be an "M Sport" rather than "M1".

dino_martini
01-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Will 50HP make a big difference?

I suppose they will mess around with the handling as well?

Interesting, BMW really painted it self into a corner with this naming scheme

freshprince1
01-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Will 50HP make a big difference?

Along with other tweeks, and the fact that it is such a small car, I suspect the 50hp increase will be quite noticable.

rp_guy
01-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1

Along with other tweeks, and the fact that it is such a small car, I suspect the 50hp increase will be quite noticable.

it's only 40kg off from a 335i.. 1560kg vs. 1600kg (~3500lbs)

they are not that light..

soloracer
01-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by LadyLuck
Oh how I wish we'd get the 1 series Hatch.

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/2008_bmw_1_series_5_door_more_2.jpg

I cant count how many of these I saw in europe last year, they were everywhere!

Bland, dull, ugly.......they all describe this thing in my opinion. I can't see a single thing that would make me think it was worth buying. You could slap a Honda or Toyota badge on it and people would think it was the new Matrix or CRV. Hell, I bet if you put a Kia badge on it people wouldn't think it was out of place. What ever happened to making cars that looked like no other? At least the E30's had character and a unique style that said "BMW" even if you only caught a glimpse of it.

slinkie
01-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by soloracer

Bland, dull, ugly.......they all describe this thing in my opinion. I can't see a single thing that would make me think it was worth buying. You could slap a Honda or Toyota badge on it and people would think it was the new Matrix or CRV. Hell, I bet if you put a Kia badge on it people wouldn't think it was out of place. What ever happened to making cars that looked like no other? At least the E30's had character and a unique style that said "BMW" even if you only caught a glimpse of it.

huh? chris bangle's trademark 'flame surfacing' is pretty obvious, especially in black. Are you blind?

Xtrema
01-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Cannot be called the M1.
Probably a tuned up 135i with an M badge.

Or something retarded like 1 MDrive35i

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-07-2010, 11:39 AM

Its RWD, thats why it sells. They are very fun to drive, and arent dull at all, they are designed to be different, and if you actually studied the body panel design, and all the angles, you would see its very different than anything in that segment.

LadyLuck
01-07-2010, 11:42 AM

To each their own I guess. This would be the only BMW I'd ever consider buying if they ever came to North America, or when I move back to europe.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-07-2010, 11:46 AM
I forsee another M comming to our garage soon now.

scat19
01-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I forsee another M comming to our garage soon now.

This is roughly your third post this week about all the cars you drive.

You're 19. They're your dads, damn dude.

And I hope to god it's not called an M1.

This is an M1. Legendary:

http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/racing/images/7094_1024.jpg

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by scat19

This is roughly your third post this week about all the cars you drive.

You're 19. They're your dads, damn dude.

And I hope to god it's not called an M1.

This is an M1. Legendary:

http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/racing/images/7094_1024.jpg

Thats why I said "OUR" garage, not "MY" garage and "MY" cars. I dont see what your problem is.

Sugarphreak
01-07-2010, 12:42 PM

snoop101
01-07-2010, 12:51 PM
When I looked at the title I thought they were coming out with a real M1 supercar. sigh. Can only dream that one day BMW will bring back the true supercar of its day.

soloracer
01-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by slinkie

huh? chris bangle's trademark 'flame surfacing' is pretty obvious, especially in black. Are you blind?

And it has kidney grills that all BMW's have, etc. etc. But look at the shape of the car it could easily pass for a Kia or Toyota, etc.

Now look at a old school BMW. You could paint a silhouette of the car and it is instantly recognizable - without a grill being shown or subtle details like "flame surfacing". The same could not be said for this new car. It's silhouette would be rather boring and look like just another stubby hatch.

As you can tell I'm not a chris bangle fan - A person who reviews cars for a living once said "I have taken better looking shits than a chris bangle design" and I have to agree. I think he homogenized the brand and in doing so made it much less interesting.

http://www.nextcar.com.au/pl.kia.rondo.08apr.grey.u.640.480.JPG

soloracer
01-07-2010, 08:39 PM
repost

Redlyne_mr2
01-07-2010, 08:44 PM
There can only be 1 M1.

Sugarphreak
01-07-2010, 08:46 PM

EM1FTW
01-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
There can only be 1 M1.