PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else need to lighten up before summer?

snoop101
01-07-2010, 01:29 PM
So im getting married in July and the fiance says that I need to loose some pounds for the wedding and my health. Im 5'11" and I would say im around 215-220lbs (I really need to jump on the scale soon) anyways anyone else trying to cut down some pounds before summer? Was thinking if more people are trying we can put down are weekly or 3-4 day losses.

I havent really done much exercise other then sex since new years day, but I have started eating different. I been eating good soup everyday for lunch and no carbs for dinner. some good healthy cereal a couple hours before bed.

beyond_ban
01-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
So im getting married in July and the fiance says that I need to loose some pounds for the wedding and my health.

.... and it allllllllllll begins :D

EDIT: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/290270/ketosis/

Maybe some ketosis?

TimeAttack
01-07-2010, 04:04 PM
healthy cerial a couple hours before bed.

While you're at it, might as well brush up on some basic spelling.

:thumbsup:

GQBalla
01-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by TimeAttack

:dunno:

start hitting the gym!

even simply doin more walking will make you lose weight, your already eating differently so that by itself will help

snoop101
01-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Woops, but thanks a lot for your contribution.

dandia89
01-07-2010, 04:23 PM
gym is a second priority. diet is something you should focus on right now. once you get that pat down you start hitting the gym.

TimeAttack
01-07-2010, 04:28 PM
So im getting married in July and the fiance says that I need to loose some pounds for the wedding and my health. Im 5'11" and I would say im around 215-220lbs (I really need to jump on the scale soon) anyways anyone else trying to cut down some pounds before summer? Was thinking if more people are trying we can put down are weekly or 3-4 day losses.

I havent really done much exercise other then sex since new years day, but I have started eating different. I been eating good soup everyday for lunch and no carbs for dinner. some good healthy cereal a couple hours before bed.

To answer your question, no.

Everyone so far has been giving advice as to how to lose weight, but nowhere in your OP does it even ask for advice on losing weight. You were really only asking if anyone else was making a move to lose weight before summer.

Everyone is just assuming you are a flat slob that cannot figure out any methods for losing weight.

beyond_ban
01-07-2010, 04:33 PM
some good healthy cereal a couple hours before bed.

some good healthy cerial a couple hours before bed.

:dunno:

Cereal. (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ei=2mBGS6fmMNC3lAfrpJAN&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAYQBSgA&q=cereal&spell=1)

Cerial. (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=cerial&btnG=Search&meta=&aq=&oq=ceril)

TimeAttack
01-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

omg..... :facepalm:

(i bolded the mistake and then he edited his OP)

snoop101
01-07-2010, 04:56 PM

To answer your question, no.

Everyone so far has been giving advice as to how to lose weight, but nowhere in your OP does it even ask for advice on losing weight. You were really only asking if anyone else was making a move to lose weight before summer.

Everyone is just assuming you are a flat slob that cannot figure out any methods for losing weight.

Your right. I figured after new years there be a few people that grew a gut, but I guess not.

Anyways I have started to eat better, but I tell you by 3-3:30 I start to get hungry. Trying to push myself to eat something small to hold me over. Yogurt from Sunterra seems to hit the spot.

beyond_ban
01-07-2010, 05:04 PM

omg..... :facepalm:

(i bolded the mistake and then he edited his OP)

Well, GENERALLY you correct the mistake with the bolds. So in that situation, you don't look all that brilliant.

Just saying.

max_boost
01-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Sputnik would say:

"PUT THE FORK DOWN"

Calories in, calories out. Bingo. Cardio will help too.

3500 calories in a lb.

Simply put, if you go calorie deficit of 500 a day, combination of eating less and exercise, you would lose 1lb a week. Depending how hardcore you want to get, you can accelerate it with lifting weights, taking a stack of ECA etc.

bigbadboss101
01-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Cut the cake, pop, excess alcohol, refined foods will make a nice difference

TimeAttack
01-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Cut the cake, pop, excess alcohol, refined foods will make a nice difference

Glad you read what the OP wrote, doctor obvious...

DTTB_36
01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
I am trying to lose a few pounds as well. Got an office job in October from landscaping. Combine that with Christmas and I gained like 15 lbs. I am 6' 2", weighed in after Christmas 244. Would like to hit about 220 by end of April/May. I am just cutting out booze, desserts and any excess food. Also trying to work out 5-7 days a week of mostly cardio.

Toma
01-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Skip the cereal.

Eat some veggies or somethin' instead.

snoop101
01-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by DTTB_36
I am trying to lose a few pounds as well. Got an office job in October from landscaping. Combine that with Christmas and I gained like 15 lbs. I am 6' 2", weighed in after Christmas 244. Would like to hit about 220 by end of April/May. I am just cutting out booze, desserts and any excess food. Also trying to work out 5-7 days a week of mostly cardio.

wow your the first one to actually read the post. :thumbsup:

I started Boxing on wednesday. My god im still in pain. It was a real wake up call for how out of shape im in. Im still eating healthy soup for lunch as I know I need to get more vegi's in my diet. I notice maybe a bit that im gettting a bit tighter. I dont want to starve myself because I know if I do that i'll get pissed and go back to eating more.

core_upt
01-15-2010, 11:58 AM
I was in a similar boat last year... getting married in August, and a little heavier in January. I fucked around in the gym and told myself I would get in better shape 'soon'. Next thing I knew, it was April and I had only dropped about 4lbs. Here is what I changed and how I gained strength and dropped 20lbs of fat in three months...

Lift weights... Don't want a gym membership - that's fine. Then body weight squats, lunges, pushups and a pull-up bar ($50-60) will work. I'm not saying get huge and start downing creatine or anything.... just develop some muscle as it will help in 'eating' fat.

Diet is EVERYTHING.... I lowered my carb intake for ALL meals... what did that mean? Basically not eat a meal that was carb-based - not a bowl of pasta with some chicken on top but rather a piece of chicken with some veggies and a SMALL side of pasta. No cereal, no rice bowls, no noodle bowls... carbs as a side, not a main... sounds like you're kind of on the right path here:

] ... no carbs for dinner. some good healthy cereal a couple hours before bed....

but I wonder why have cereal (straight up carbs) right before bed? A small piece of cheese and some lean turkey might be better.

I would suggest to take a sample day of eating (honestly) and enter it all into fitday.com.... see what your macros are (breakdown of calories from fat/protein/carbs). This will give you an indication on where your food is going.

Keep posting your progress.... and judge yourself by how you feel, not the scale, especially off the start - you can 'tighten up' without seeing a change on the scale.

Lastly, allow yourself a cheat meal here and there - it will save your sanity and use that to keep you motivated.

Maxboost's posted some great links in another thread too:

Originally posted by max_boost

8 Nutrition Rules
http://stronglifts.com/nutrition-101-definite-beginner-guide-healthy-nutrition/

Fat loss 101
http://stronglifts.com/fat-loss-101-how-to-lose-fat-fast-with-free-fat-loss-diets/

How to lose fat with cardio
http://stronglifts.com/cardio-fat-loss-hiit-vs-long-duratio-cardio/

How to lose your belly fat
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-lose-belly-fat-fast-naturally/

Why healthy nutrition
http://stronglifts.com/why-healthy-nutrition-is-important-and-why-not/

How many calories per day
http://stronglifts.com/how-many-calories-do-you-need-to-eat-per-day/

How much protein per day
http://stronglifts.com/protein-daily-needs-myths-best-sources-protein/

Read and Learn!

Good luck and keep us posted.

ExtraSlow
01-15-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm trying to lose some of the wieght I've been putting on slowly for the last five years.
Joined a weight loss challenge at work just to annoy the fitness freaks around here. So far, just working on diet.

-Breakfast, I've been having a half cup of rolled oats in my yogurt each morning for breakfast. Eat a banana mid-morning.
- Lighter lunches, I work downtown, so it's easy to get really unhealthy lunches.
- Cut the pop. I drank quite a it of pop and sugary drinks before, so I've cut that back to about one per day, used to be more like five.
- Reduce the beer intake. Porbably drinking four or five beers a week less.
Haven't been on this program long enough to see any results. I don't weigh myself every day. Interested to see what happens.

I am planning to mix in some workouts as well.

DTTB_36
01-15-2010, 12:59 PM
I am going to start lifting weights again, I just haven't really wanted to lift weight for awhile. I lifted weights monday to friday for 4 years when I played uni football (fullback) and for three years in highschool. I have a good enough muscle base, just need to maintain what I already have. Aka some pants wouldn't fit me because my quads were too big.

I am trying to limit my carbs a bit, but not going to go hardcore as some people here do. I am going to eat a bit less, not have seconds and try to eat healthier. Never any desserts and if I need to satisfy my sweet tooth, only a 50 calorie or less treat. And that is only allow on days when I work out.

My weight loss as I plan it will be slow and steady for a year. When I am down to around 220, I might plan for a bit of muscle growth for few months.

I am going to allow myself to booze one a month (G n R tomorrow will be a bit messy). I plan on doing 1 1/2 hrs of cardio on Sat and depending how I feel, another 1 1/2 hrs of cardio on Sun. That should make the drinking a mute point or less of an impact.

snoop101
01-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Nice work guys. seems as if im not the only over weight desk jockey.

I been trying to eat healthy cereal with a banana cut up in it earlier and then a yogurt before bed.

This is how my weekdays look like right now and for the first week it kinda sucked.

Morning: coffee (Americano, which i wont give up), bowl of porridge. also been trying to get a banana in before I leave for work.

Lunch:SOUP and I been good at sticking with it.

Afternoon snack: Protein bar and green tea.

Dinner: Hardest one because im home with the fiance. im trying to have something with barely any carbs or just good cereal and a banana.

Evening: Yogurt.

Weekends i'll eat whatever, but still watch what I eat.

I know I could do a lot better, but I dont want to starve myself from to much of the good stuff or i'll give up and be right back at it a week later eating anything.

Also I dont drink and Pop and have a scotch here and there on the weekends.

Sorath
01-15-2010, 03:07 PM
try p90x they have meal plans, and cardio workouts

core_upt
01-15-2010, 03:52 PM

Dinner: Hardest one because im home with the fiance. im trying to have something with barely any carbs or just good cereal and a banana.

Evening: Yogurt.

Once again, cereal and milk is all carbs, and unless that Yogurt is plain ass plain, it's all carbs too... fruit flavoured yogurt can pack more sugar than Coke. A medium banana has up to 30g of carbs... as much or more than a slice of bread.

I feel like you might be putting all lot of effort into making changes that will give you little result - frustration will kick in and you'll be back to the old ways. Not saying that's the case, but it sounds like it might be.....

snoop101
01-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by core_upt

Once again, cereal and milk is all carbs, and unless that Yogurt is plain ass plain, it's all carbs too... fruit flavoured yogurt can pack more sugar than Coke. A medium banana has up to 30g of carbs... as much or more than a slice of bread.

I feel like you might be putting all lot of effort into making changes that will give you little result - frustration will kick in and you'll be back to the old ways. Not saying that's the case, but it sounds like it might be.....

Yogurt has anywhere from 60-90g of carbs. (the ones I eat), but Yogurt itself has a lot of good stuff in it that is good for weight loss. I eat cereal early enough for my body to still work some of it off before I goto bed.

I want to reduce my waist, but not in a week or two. I rather slowely cut back on things and still enjoy myself then to just starve myself. To many stories of people starving their selfs on diets then gain it all back. I enjoy my cereal and I only buy the good stuff. Same as yogurt I buy the Astro stuff and only have one small cup.

Back on topic.... Anyone wanting to join me for begginers boxing which is more cardio then anything else you could imagine doing let me know. Classes start back up in Feb and he should have his full boxing gym open by mid Feb to early March. It will be down by the chinook Ctrain station.

DTTB_36
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
What kind of classes are they? Are they drop in or sign up for a few months?

snoop101
01-15-2010, 05:01 PM
What kind of classes are they? Are they drop in or sign up for a few months?

Not sure about drop in. I pay monthly. Heres the website.

Legacy Boxing Club (http://www.legacyboxingclub.com/index.html)

I went to my first class on Wednesday and I tell ya I was just about crying. Granted I been sitting on my ass for so long now.

DTTB_36
01-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Mmm, I might want to go in for a drop-in class on the Wednesday. Boxing looks like it would be a lot of fun. The weekend was rough, but I did walk about 5 Km after the concert, however I also had two pieces of pizza. I did 1 1/2 hrs of cardio on Saturday but on Sunday was too hung over to move. Work out today after work and yoga starts on Wednesday. (Yoga is going to hurt, I am not flexible and have never done Yoga)

snoop101
01-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Mmm, I might want to go in for a drop-in class on the Wednesday. Boxing looks like it would be a lot of fun. The weekend was rough, but I did walk about 5 Km after the concert, however I also had two pieces of pizza. I did 1 1/2 hrs of cardio on Saturday but on Sunday was too hung over to move. Work out today after work and yoga starts on Wednesday. (Yoga is going to hurt, I am not flexible and have never done Yoga)

Your a male going to Yoga for the flexiblity part. I thought males only went to yoga to look at the women get into amazing positions.

Kinda funny I also went to the concert. Though I didnt drink at all and had a quesadilla at the french maid (which was actually not to bad considering they serve the worst food around).

Once they open up there own gym then I from what I understood is that you can go 7 days a week to work out and train with classes on wednesday.

DTTB_36
01-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Flexibility is the fitness reason I am going. I consider the visual stimulation motivation. I am worried however, as this is an office building yoga class and I do not know the quality of the class yet. I am doing yoga for the flexibility (and strength for some muscles) as football gave me some good life long injuries that regular weights will not help.

The concert was solid, I had just a little bit of rum. Then I went home and played some good old Nazi Zombies. I did pretty good considering my reflexes were delayed.

On a fitness note, plan to do around 45 mins of cardio today and maybe do some upper body. Looking forward to hockey on thursday, 1 1/4 hrs of hockey is good fitness as long as there is not too many people on the bench. I like 2 lines + 1 person. Also play rec soccer once a week. I will also be playing touch rugby every once in a while when my rugby club organizes it.

CMW403
01-20-2010, 06:52 PM

LOL:rofl:

that has to be one of the funniest posts i have ever seen with 5 years of beyond.ca under my belt.

Disoblige
01-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by core_upt

Diet is EVERYTHING....

Yup.. It is it is.. I used to think I could still get fit from eating anything I want as long as I worked out (which was true), but that was when I worked out literally 4 hours throughout the day in my high school years.

When you get older and have more priorities.. Well, that's not going to happen anymore.