PDA

View Full Version : class 3 trucks?

5000Audi
01-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Well i was at the registires today getting my kids b/c and a abstract.. and i decided for shits and giggles to take the class 3 knowledge test.. i passed with 100% and now i wonder what kinda truck do i need to take a road test in.. i dont have air brakes though..so what kind of truck would i need to have to go to the class 3 road test?? or will i need to do get my Q endorsment first?

chadnixon
01-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Class 3 Licence

Permits an operator to drive:

•Any motor vehicle, or combination of vehicles that the holder of a Class 5 operator's licence may operate

•A single motor vehicle with three or more axles

•A motor vehicle with three or more axles towing a trailer with one or more axles, if the trailer is not equipped with airbrakes

•Class 2 and 4 type vehicles without passengers

•All motor vehicles included under Class 1, 2 and 6, for learning only
No holder of a Class 3 operator's licence shall operate a motor vehicle:

•That has a seating capacity of more than 15, while that vehicle is transporting any person in addition to the operator

•To transport passengers for hire
The minimum learning or licencing age is 18.
Requirements: vision screening, written and road test, airbrake certificate if the vehicle is equipped with airbrakes.

Vehicle for road test: Any single motor vehicle having three or more axles.

And no, you don't need your air brakes as long as the vehicle you use for the test, or will be driving after, uses hydraulics not air. It's basically just any 3 axle vehicles, except buses. You can step it up a notch and get your class 1, which gives you the ability to drag trailers.

methodicreign
01-07-2010, 06:51 PM
the trick is going to be finding a class 3 vehicle that is still using hydrulic brakes, the air course is not hard at all and it is a weekend out of your life, and i would highly recomend taking it. You learn more from that than I did in class 3 driving school.

corsvette
01-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Class 3 is like a GMC topkick,International 4000 series,freightliner M-2-- or FL-70, they can be both hydralic or air brake.

Abeo
01-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by chadnixon

Vehicle for road test: Any single motor vehicle having three or more axles.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/paper-m/yasu/2art_w/hist-tyl-p34-1.jpg
:bigpimp:

vengie
01-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by methodicreign
the trick is going to be finding a class 3 vehicle that is still using hydrulic brakes, the air course is not hard at all and it is a weekend out of your life, and i would highly recomend taking it. You learn more from that than I did in class 3 driving school.

My airbrake course was one day, With CCA driver training.
they also offer the road test.

5000Audi
01-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
Class 3 is like a GMC topkick,International 4000 series,freightliner M-2-- or FL-70, they can be both hydralic or air brake.

my brother has a GMC 6500 or 5500 with 22.5 inch semi rims n tires.. so you think thats good for taking a test.. its only a single axle though...

its one of these...

http://www.gotbroken.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/2005-gmc-c4500-front-side-view-588x441.jpg

theken
01-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Class three is useless imo. You are a hundred times better off with air than you are with a three with no air. And a thousand times better with a one.

I have a one have for like five or six years. Can pretty much always find a job over twenty bucks an hour with minimal effort.

My one has gotten me thirty six an hour.

Note I can't type straight up numbers on my blackberry. The button broke off that allows you to go from letters to numbers. Makes it a hassle to read and write.

5000Audi
01-07-2010, 10:12 PM
i know class one is better, i will be getting that this summer.. its just cheap to get a class 3 and you can run dump trucks/vac trucks/ big cube trucks... and YES i will be getting my Q as well...

johnboy27
01-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
i know class one is better, i will be getting that this summer.. its just cheap to get a class 3 and you can run dump trucks/vac trucks/ big cube trucks... and YES i will be getting my Q as well...
The class one is really a pretty easy thing to get. The hardest thing I found on my class one was blind side backing. If you can nail that and have any sense at all you will pass your class one. It really is a better investment to just go to a class one first, my class one makes me the equivalent of about 38-40 dollars an hour.

theken
01-07-2010, 11:20 PM
There is no point to getting a class three if you are going to get a one anyways. You should use the effort and take the training course. Having a one or a three with no real experience makes it hard to get a job there is a few like starter jobs. Pepsi is one which I know makes no sense as it is one of the harder driving jobs but they hire anybody when they are busy