PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Ticket Record

npham
01-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Sucks to be this guy...

$290,000 based on his $20+ million net worth.

Article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100107/ap_on_fe_st/eu_odd_switzerland_huge_speeding_fine)

ST. GALLEN, Switzerland – A Swiss court has slapped a wealthy speeder with a chalet-sized fine — a full $290,000. Judges at the cantonal court in St. Gallen, in eastern Switzerland, based the record-breaking fine on the speeder's estimated wealth of over $20 million. A statement on the court's Web site says the driver — a repeat offender — drove up to 35 miles an hour (57 kilometers an hour) faster than the 50-mile-an-hour (80-kilometer-an-hour) limit. Court clerk Heidi Baumann-Becker said Thursday the unidentified driver can appeal the decision, handed down in November, to the Swiss supreme court. The Blick daily newspaper in Zurich reported the fine was more than twice the previous Swiss record of about $107,000.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-07-2010, 07:54 PM
:eek:

nissanguy
01-08-2010, 01:31 AM
shitty

PGTze
01-08-2010, 01:53 AM
That seems a little excessive.

revelations
01-08-2010, 01:57 AM
They have the same thing in Finland. Teemu Selanne got nailed pretty good too.

It prevents the upper income earners from merely paying a "speed tax" every time they get pulled over - to something they actually have to think about.

topmade
01-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by revelations
They have the same thing in Finland. Teemu Selanne got nailed pretty good too.

It prevents the upper income earners from merely paying a "speed tax" every time they get pulled over - to something they actually have to think about.
Does it work the other way around if you don't make much? Some poor ass guy getting a $3 ticket haha.

Neil4Speed
01-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by revelations

I still like our demerit system better, it keeps poor bad drivers off the road too!

revelations
01-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by topmade

Does it work the other way around if you don't make much? Some poor ass guy getting a $3 ticket haha.

Pretty much... but Hakkola might know more about this.

gqmw
01-08-2010, 09:16 AM
That's a huge fine. Way blown out of proportion and it works out to 1/69 or 1.5% of his total assets. So pretty much a million dollar net worth would = to an almost 15k fine.

This system blows the situation way out of proportion IMO.

Tomaz
01-08-2010, 09:58 AM

Straight up!

Originally posted by gqmw

That's a huge fine. Way blown out of proportion and it works out to 1/69 or 1.5% of his total assets. So pretty much a million dollar net worth would = to an almost 15k fine.

This system blows the situation way out of proportion IMO.

I would agree... but a $120 ticket takes a big chuck out of my net worth, sadly enough. So why the hell cant he pay out a fuck-ton? Sorry, it might be my jealousy talking lol.

TorqueDog
01-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Does it work the other way around if you don't make much? Some poor ass guy getting a $3 ticket haha. If you have a negative net-worth, they should pay you for speeding.

j.lai
01-08-2010, 12:22 PM
:eek:
sucks to be him

jxiplatform
01-08-2010, 01:03 PM
I think it's pretty fair to charge people based on income, don't you?

adidas
01-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by jxiplatform

i agree 100%

E36M3
01-08-2010, 02:56 PM
This is not based on income, it is based on net worth. It is a tax on wealth, and it is reasonable in the context of the swiss taxation system. Taken in isolation, it would not be reasonable in North America. I'd support an income based system in North America, but not a net worth based system as taxation is not based on net worth here.

Originally posted by jxiplatform

gqmw
01-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
This is not based on income, it is based on net worth. It is a tax on wealth, and it is reasonable in the context of the swiss taxation system. Taken in isolation, it would not be reasonable in North America. I'd support an income based system in North America, but not a net worth based system as taxation is not based on net worth here.

Income based would be alright over here. Net worth is unrealistic and just a money hack to yield high numbers.

However whether or not it is in proportion based on the percentage of income will always be debatable.

jonnycat
01-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Net worth based is bll shit. If a person in calgary was basically living paycheque to paycheque but had $300,000 equity in their home, their ticket would be $4500? Rediculars.

canuckcarguy
01-08-2010, 10:14 PM
It's typical jealousy. Why should a rich guy pay a higher fine? It's ridiculous. charging a guy that kind of money for speeding is just moronic.

By this principle, should young people get sentenced to longer jail sentences for the same crime as an old person, just because they have more years left?

TorqueDog
01-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Basing it on net worth is silly.

The punishment should fit the severity of the crime - the wallet of the person committing the crime should not factor one bit into determining the penalty.

Pollywog
01-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Basing it on net worth is silly.

The punishment should fit the severity of the crime - the wallet of the person committing the crime should not factor one bit into determining the penalty.

Agreed, why should some bum only have to pay $3 for driving like an asshole and putting everyones lives at risk yet the guy doing the same in a Bentley have to pay $XXXXXX amount? The do the crime, you pay or do time.