PDA

View Full Version : Work week lunches on a budget?

copynpaste
01-07-2010, 08:35 PM
This thread is for those of you who for the most part pack a lunch to work everyday and very rarely buy it. It just gets way too expensive spending $8-11 a day on lunch. Thats what I spend anyhow - I dont eat any of the popular fast food except Quiznos and Edo really. I prefer healthy sandwich places, but they (at least small private owned downtown ones) tend to skimp out on portions and what they give you. And what gets me (and im sure others as well if youre a big eater like me) is that what you get just about everywhere for around $8-11 doesnt even remotely fill me up. So by the end of the work day, Ill be hungry again and come home and chow down on a real meal. Makes the trip home :thumbsdow since you'll be hungry and makes the afternoon a chore to finish.

I know many will say eat a bigger breakfast but for me, I cant eat breakfast first thing in the morning cause Im just not hungry. I usually dont eat anything until 2 or 3 hrs after I wake up (just how I am). I bring granola bars, protein bars, bananas, high carb foods and theyre alright for like an hour at best. Granola bars and bananas are decent and are cheap.

I would like to go on a set lunch routine for work - bring something to smack on half way into the morning, something for lunch, another snack for the afternoon. It doesnt have to be a lot that I bring to eat, just food that will do a decent job at filling youre tummy. Don't recommend instant noodles, good on occasion, not 5x a week. Subway? Don't like it anymore.

Whats good at filling the tummy for a decent amount of time at a reasonable cost? Im just tired of spending money on lunches and it not even remotely tickle my tummy. Just feels like a total waste of money since im not even getting satisfied.

I might just bring 2 protein bars and fruit.

dj_rice
01-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I usually cook enough spagetti to last me 2-3 days. If thats too much time to do, you can maybe go to T & T, buy 1lbs of roast pork/BBQ Duck, Soya Sauce Chicken or whatever you like. Buy some broccoli, steam that up, and cook some white rice, that should last a few meals and its so simple and easy. 1lbs of any of those meats should cost you $20ish.

Costco has some good pre-made meals that you just pop in the oven like Sheppards Pie, Chicken Alfredo. Under $15 each one depending on weight and if your eating alone, it lasts 1 dinner and usually for me, 2-3 lunchs.

BlackArcher101
01-07-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm fortunate. I found a fairly good deli that serves nice fair sized sandwhiches for a good price. Just a tad more than what it would end up costing me to make it myself.

ercchry
01-07-2010, 10:10 PM
there is a place in a +15 near... 7th ave and 6th st sw.... they cook a turkey everyday and make homemade turkey sandwiches for pretty cheap... dunno the name or exact location, but if you wander around the +15 for long enough im sure you'll find it :rofl:

Alterac
01-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Lean Cuisine, and Stoffers Lean meals or whatever.. $3-4 ea, (get em on sale if you can) good food, quick microwaveable, and fairly healthy.

dirtsniffer
01-07-2010, 10:23 PM
You said you like sandwiches and edo? Why not start there. Making your own will almost always save money garanteed, personally I just make lots of dinner and put the leftovers in the fridge and take them for work

dj_rice
01-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
You said you like sandwiches and edo? Why not start there. Making your own will almost always save money garanteed, personally I just make lots of dinner and put the leftovers in the fridge and take them for work

Homemade Edo prolly costs you $20 and lasts you a few days.

canadian_hustla
01-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I had some instant chinese noodles (similar to mr. noodle) just add water, drain, and voila

cost me $1.46

Ruggzy_McTuggz
01-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Man, wish there was an Edo closer to me downtown :( You are lucky heh. All we have is Sukiyaki house (like 3 of em in a 3 block radius heh) and their meat is TERRIBLE quality, and they cook it well before hand and just re-heat.

cdnsir
01-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Homemade Edo prolly costs you $20 and lasts you a few days.

How can you make their sauce tho? That stuff is the only reason I even eat at that place. I actually don't even like their meats, I just go veggie and rice just so that I can load up on 3 scoops of that stuff!

OP - Regarding lunch on the cheap. I usually stock few a cans of food like Campbell's Chunky or Stagg's Chilli at the office for some quick eats.

If I have to prepare food from the day before, I usually bring a big ass bowl of salad and throw on a couple of eggs and maybe some bacon on top. Just bring a bottle of dressing on the side so the veggies won't get soggy. Or I'll might dump some mayo on a can of tuna to either make a sandwich outta it or slap that on a bed of lettuce. I can do the same with an egg salad as well.

Add a fruit and a cup of yogurt, and you're set with a pretty balanced meal.

Ukyo8
01-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla
I had some instant chinese noodles (similar to mr. noodle) just add water, drain, and voila

cost me $1.46

When I used to be broke I ate this everyday for lunch lol

dj_rice
01-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by cdnsir

How can you make their sauce tho? That stuff is the only reason I even eat at that place. I actually don't even like their meats, I just go veggie and rice just so that I can load up on 3 scoops of that stuff!

OP - Regarding lunch on the cheap. I usually stock few a cans of food like Campbell's Chunky or Stagg's Chilli at the office for some quick eats.

If I have to prepare food from the day before, I usually bring a big ass bowl of salad and throw on a couple of eggs and maybe some bacon on top. Just bring a bottle of dressing on the side so the veggies won't get soggy. Or I'll might dump some mayo on a can of tuna to either make a sandwich outta it or slap that on a bed of lettuce. I can do the same with an egg salad as well.

Add a fruit and a cup of yogurt, and you're set with a pretty balanced meal.

My aunt use to own the Edo Japan that was in Sunridge Mall and from what I remember, it was Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce in a big ass pail, they pour it into a pot, water it down a bit and added ginger powder. But I'll confirm with her and get back to you

cdnsir
01-08-2010, 10:36 AM
OMG! You know how to make that stuff!? Yes please share man, I'm sure a ton of guys here would love to crack that recipe!

Manhattan
01-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla

cost me $1.46

Delicious and cheap but super unhealthy. Instant noodles are made by deep frying in hydrogenated oils and nutritional value is basically nothing.

Turkey breast or tuna sandwich for me usually.

KKY
01-08-2010, 11:20 AM
If you don't mind cooking, there is a lot you can do. I cook extra in the evening and pack the leftover for next day's lunch. It's usually some kind stir fry with lots of rice. Takes maybe 30-45mins from preparation to be on the table. Today it is potato tomato pork chop stir fry with rice :)

Jlude
01-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't like eating breakfast either, but lately I've been taking a strawberry/banana protein shake every morning to get my body started when I wake up.

As for lunch, I usually go to subway, it's the closest place to my office. When the wife was living with me, she would make me turkey/roast beef/chicken wraps everyday with a piece of fruit and a small snack.

I usually can't be bothered to cook, I'd rather go to the KEG for dinner every night, but it's soooo expensive. I've gotta get in the habit of cooking now.

Edit - Since most of you are asian and eat rice everyday, maybe you can help.

How do you cook your rice (I know it's simple), and what do you cook it in? I love rice and used to eat it everyday, but I'd like to have a simpler way of cooking it good rice, should I buy a steamer cooker?

bigboom
01-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
I don't like eating breakfast either, but lately I've been taking a strawberry/banana protein shake every morning to get my body started when I wake up.

As for lunch, I usually go to subway, it's the closest place to my office. When the wife was living with me, she would make me turkey/roast beef/chicken wraps everyday with a piece of fruit and a small snack.

I usually can't be bothered to cook, I'd rather go to the KEG for dinner every night, but it's soooo expensive. I've gotta get in the habit of cooking now.

Edit - Since most of you are asian and eat rice everyday, maybe you can help.

How do you cook your rice (I know it's simple), and what do you cook it in? I love rice and used to eat it everyday, but I'd like to have a simpler way of cooking it good rice, should I buy a steamer cooker?

buy a rice cooker. throw the rice in with water, push the button, 20 minutes later you have rice.

Jlude
01-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

buy a rice cooker. throw the rice in with water, push the button, 20 minutes later you have rice.

Never knew there was a specific rice cooker hahaha, i'll have to look into it.

dj_rice
01-08-2010, 02:16 PM

Not that simple, first you go to T & T, they have rice cookers there or any asian supermarket should have it, hell I bought a white man Oster Digital Rice Cooker at Superstore or Costco.

Then cook desired amount of rice, either 1, 2, 3 cups so on. Then you add the water to the corresponding line of cups of rice inside the cooking container should have markings.

Then you press rice cook if you want rice or porridge cook if you want porridge. If you want rice for making fried rice, ass less water so the rice is drier. For regular eating rice, use recommended water amounts but it is also dependant on the quality of rice you buy. Some rice are drier than others so add more water.

The must have for any Asian household is a rice cooker. :rofl: I've got 2

bigboom
01-08-2010, 03:34 PM

Not that simple, first you go to T & T, they have rice cookers there or any asian supermarket should have it, hell I bought a white man Oster Digital Rice Cooker at Superstore or Costco.

Then cook desired amount of rice, either 1, 2, 3 cups so on. Then you add the water to the corresponding line of cups of rice inside the cooking container should have markings.

Then you press rice cook if you want rice or porridge cook if you want porridge. If you want rice for making fried rice, ass less water so the rice is drier. For regular eating rice, use recommended water amounts but it is also dependant on the quality of rice you buy. Some rice are drier than others so add more water.

a real asian doesnt have all those fancy setting on their rice cooker :)

we have a plain one with one cook setting and for fried rice we use left over rice from the day before.

we also use our finger to estimate the water level, water level above the rice level should be equal to the depth of the rice.:D

thinmyster
01-08-2010, 03:36 PM
chilli. all day everyday

dj_rice
01-08-2010, 11:43 PM

we have a plain one with one cook setting and for fried rice we use left over rice from the day before.

we also use our finger to estimate the water level, water level above the rice level should be equal to the depth of the rice.:D

:rofl: :rofl: I have the one cook setting one too, I retired it for my new Oster one, new one is superior, it beeps when the rice is cooked, whereas the old one, the button you press pops up when cooked

bradwatson
01-09-2010, 12:22 AM
My usual work meals involve spinach salads with some lean protein source on top. Its super easy, just BBQ up a bunch of chicken breasts/salmon filets, and they can stay in the fridge for a couple days. Then buy a giant tub of spinach. Chop up a chicken breast and throw it in a ziploc bag to add onto the salad at work.

As mentioned above, make sure the dressing is in a different container so the spinach doesn't get soggy.

Then to make things interesting I add things like slivered almonds, sesame seeds, chopped peppers & onions, and craisins.

Total prep for 3 days' lunches: 20 min max (to BBQ the meat)

Isaiah
01-09-2010, 12:33 AM
LOL, $95 for two sounds pretty damn cheap to me. Is this not including any drinks or something?

Are you guys all students on a budget or something?

My lunch tab is that much for two people.

89s1
01-11-2010, 01:17 AM
Chunky soup does a good job at filling the void for me.

~2.50 for a can, crunch a fistful of crackers in there for some extra texture and it's great. Not horribly unhealthy, "full serving of veggies, blah blah." Does the trick for me.

Also, Rice cookers are the shit. Ever since we got ours the minute rice hasn't left the cupboard. Big-ass bag of jasmine rice has a permanent home in my pantry now. :D

The house smells awesome after cooking up some jasmine too. :drool:

liquidboi69
01-11-2010, 01:41 AM
all you guys that eat chunky, a new thing I do to make it much more filling is...

I cook rice or macaroni and toss it in with a can of chunky soup and voila you got a fair sized meal and its not expensive at all.

Trini
01-12-2010, 11:28 AM
ah good thread
I've been just making sandwiches with meat from the deli, carry some fruits a banana,apple or grapes and yogurt.
As with some of you guys I can't eat breakfast, I can usually eat a bowl of oatmeal when I reach to work and of course coffee.
Will try some of the rice dishes, if I can reproduce some food similar to edo I'll be most happy.

n1zm0
01-12-2010, 11:38 AM

i never knew that this technique is widespread lol, we either use this or put your palm on the top of the rice, then the water should just touch the indents of your knuckles.

i've been packing rice and left overs for about 3 years, but the occasional time get some chicken breasts (or turkey) baked in salt and pepper-bit it up, mix a bit of mayo and pepper, into a blender quickly, put on wraps with slices of cucumber and lettuce. i dont eat breakfast either, just can't bring myself to

cdnsir
01-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

put your palm on the top of the rice, then the water should just touch the indents of your knuckles.

Yup, been taught this ever since I was a kid and it still works each and every time! But now, my rice cooker is so tiny that I can't even fit my hand down. So now I go by the markings on the side of the insert. Rice still comes out perfect and it even plays a nice little song when it's ready. LOL

GQBalla
01-12-2010, 11:56 AM
lol yeap i use the finger trick to tell how much water.

when i moved out my mom bought me a small rice cooker from superstore, works exactly how my moms asian rice cooker does and beeps when its all done.

for me i usually pack leftovers.

but for me i think is usually easier as my mom ALWAYS made so much food for dinner the night before there was always leftovers, basically where i learned my method of cooking, make lots for leftovers.

a easy one is mushroom soup with chicken breast in the oven and put that over rice is amazing.

dj_rice
01-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

a easy one is mushroom soup with chicken breast in the oven and put that over rice is amazing.

Yeap, thats an easy one that can be switched up with pork chops also. So simple and easy and instructions are on the cans of Campbells Soup labels.

89s1
01-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

This same method for pork chops also, keeps them from drying out and makes them most delicious. :thumbsup:

adam c
01-12-2010, 01:20 PM

i'm not even asian and i have 2 in my house, but then again my gf is

i didn't even know there were fancy rice cookers out there with different settings, i just push the tab down and wait for the light to change colors

as for lunches it ranges from pizza pops, to left overs from dinner the night before or a sandwich... all depends on what's available. i used to eat out everyday for lunch but now i might go out once or twice in a month for lunch

helps having a gf at home to make your lunch/dinner

Euro838
01-12-2010, 03:02 PM
If you want cheap and still be full, then you gotta load up on the complex carbs.

If you are going to have a chicken breast, then make sure it's breaded or surrounded by a sauce heavy in corn starch or flour. Pizza pops or really any time of Italian food i.e. pasta, p'zone, etc. are really good at being an inexpensive solution and ensuring you are not hungry by the end of the day.

Yes, the good thing about these highly processed food is that they are cheap and they taste really good. The sandwiches at Sunterra, even though they are of decent proportions, will make you hungry within a couple of hours because there is nothing for your body to take a long time to break down. You can bring westernized chinese food i.e. ginger beef, SS pork, lemon chicken and that stuff will keep you full for like 4-5 hours.

You could pick up those hungry man frozen dinners, they are pretty cheap at like $3-4 for like a pound or pound and a half of food like they claim.

Anyways, hope this helps your pocket book.

Zero102
01-13-2010, 10:41 AM

My aunt use to own the Edo Japan that was in Sunridge Mall and from what I remember, it was Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce in a big ass pail, they pour it into a pot, water it down a bit and added ginger powder. But I'll confirm with her and get back to you

It's been 6 days, we need an update!

snoop101
01-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Wow pretty much every post is from an asian or white guy with an asian gf/fiance/wife.

I guess i'll add to this. lol. Fiances Viet and we got the rice cooker from panasonic that can also steam. still only has one setting though and yes im white and still use the finger measuring way.

Anyways back on topic. If you work downtown (anyone here who does) you should check out marcellos.

http://www.marcellos.ca/

Im in FAP and theres nothing good around here other maybe suntera and a couple other fast food places. I finally went to marcellos because im trying to lighten up around the waist and I have to say there soup is hands down the best around. Taste is amazing and they put so much meat and vegi's in the soups. Plus the large is like $3.75 (around there).

GQBalla
01-13-2010, 11:08 AM
ah yes ^^ marcellos is pretty good

Impreza
01-13-2010, 11:30 AM

Sorry, but I don't believe that is true. Maybe the ingredients are true... but I am almost 100% sure that Edo stores don't make their own sauce in-store. Edo the franchise closely guards the ingredients and the porportions of the ingredients that make the sauce, and IIRC, Edo ships the sauce to the stores premixed. Either that or it is in powder form and then the stores just mix it with a preset amount of soya sauce or something. The sauce is a secret because it is what makes Edo so good! If everyone knew how to make it, people would just start their own Edo's.

So maybe your aunt did all the steps you stated but the ginger powder was the pre-mixed powder stuff from Edo?

I just know that the stores don't make their own sauce from scratch in-store.

Trini
01-13-2010, 11:40 AM
thread dedicated to the edo sauce

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/54944/teryaki-sauce-from-edo-japan-kiosks/

dj_rice
01-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Impreza

Sorry, but I don't believe that is true. Maybe the ingredients are true... but I am almost 100% sure that Edo stores don't make their own sauce in-store. Edo the franchise closely guards the ingredients and the porportions of the ingredients that make the sauce, and IIRC, Edo ships the sauce to the stores premixed. Either that or it is in powder form and then the stores just mix it with a preset amount of soya sauce or something. The sauce is a secret because it is what makes Edo so good! If everyone knew how to make it, people would just start their own Edo's.

So maybe your aunt did all the steps you stated but the ginger powder was the pre-mixed powder stuff from Edo?

I just know that the stores don't make their own sauce from scratch in-store.

You are correct, I just confirmed, they recieve the primary sauce mix in powder form and just add water, soy sauce and corn starch.

r3ccOs
01-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Eating out on a budget, sounds dirty... but in all seriousness I try my best to get the best value of dollar when I go out to eat in general.

I work from home 80% of the time, so when I do go out for lunch with my peers or clients, I'm not overly frugal. Yet I'm not out to be robbed blind neither.

In fact, I probably don't ever spend more than $15 on a lunch... & I'd much prefer to go to places such as Fat Kee, Pho Da Bau, Clay Oven, Calgary Court, Ken's BBQ house etc... rather than drop $12.99 on a burger w/ fries & another $2.75 on a pop.

I think that for the most part, anything you see on the menu at most commercial style resturants, Joeys, Earls, Whitespot etc... I generally can either replicate (if I wanted to), or easily surpass. I'm not a chef, but have a definate passion for cooking.

However, when I did actuality work at the office full time, I'd try my best to find a good compromise of again, value, nutrition & price.
If I didn't pack anything, when working downtown, I'd take a trek to one of the Sunterra's for their lunch specials, or sandwiches. The odd time, I'd grab a lovely slice of spinach & fetta pizza from Verona's in TD Square.

Most of the time, when I cook, I make extra provisions to have easy to re-heat meals. Unlike alot of people, I'm adventurous yet usually create dishes that I like, so I actuality enjoy eating my left overs :D
What I did alot of, especially when I had a couple room mates who pitched for groceries, was cook in quantities
I'd buy cuts of meat in quantity when on sale... So that would sometimes be spare ribs, Pork Shoulders, eye of round, Chuck Roasts, chicken legs etc... So I'd do a big cook with the meats, like trad southern bbq, roasts, braise etc.. and make some starches like rice, farmers potatoes, risotto, Polenta, Ragu sauces etc..
We'd also do curries, as they are really effortless and makes piles of delicious mush :)

For instance, tonight I made 5lbs of Beef Short Ribs, that I picked up for $12...
Took the ribs, browned them in a dutch oven, then built up the braising liquid, which was basically:
soya sauce, brown sugar, water, ginger, lemongrass, rice viniger, orange juice, hosin sauce, lemon juice, garlic, red chili flakes, and green onion.

Prep time? probably less than 12 minutes, and most of it was effortless, the hardest part being grabing the ingredients out of the pantry.

Put the duch oven into the oven @ 350 for about 3hrs and voila, done.
I then take out the flavorful, fall off the bone tender short ribs out of the bath. Take the liquid and separate the fat (not necessary but I find it to be) using a fat sperator, and then reduce over heat until you have a lovely sauce. Bam... over some white rice and you have a hearty, tasty, nutricious meal w/ >7 portions for very little money or time spent.

With some of the left over sauce, I in fact "asian'd" it up and made some marinated soy-sauce hard boiled eggs... mmm mmm

I can't wait to re-heat my lunch for tomorrow

cancer man
01-14-2010, 05:50 AM
10 oz horse steak some hp sauce and fries with a slice of bread.
Which reminds i gotta post the pics.

GQBalla
01-14-2010, 08:33 AM
are you still selling any extra horse meat?

cancer man
01-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Ya i got a shoulder roast left, osso bucco and some loin cuts.