PDA

View Full Version : Song a couple of my friends threw together tonight

CUG
01-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKjt_ngjC2k

I like it, even though I'm not into sap stuff.

/shameless plug.

DeeK
01-08-2010, 02:24 AM
This song would be great, but as an audio engineer, the bad production quality is like salt in an open wound. Sounds like the fridge is running in the background, what mics are used? accoustic electric guitar DI? or mic'd?

Also, what program did you use to record, and what plugins do you have available?

CUG
01-08-2010, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by DeeK
This song would be great, but as an audio engineer, the bad production quality is like salt in an open wound. Sounds like the fridge is running in the background, what mics are used? accoustic electric guitar DI? or mic'd? I would assume whatever is readily available in the closet. Of course the first guy to comment is a sound engineer hahah shit. For a home setup I thought it wasn't that bad. I know they have compressors and a big mackie board for their live stuff.. I was told this wasn't an officially "recorded" thing (obviously).

DeeK
01-08-2010, 02:34 AM
Of course. It did sound great for home recording. :)

And I'm not trying to put down your work in any way. I think it's great. I hope I can shed some insight on cheap solutions to help out home recording is what I really getting at.

For example,
- Try draping towels/blankets/foam 6 inches off the walls during recording, it will dampen the harmful reflections that cause phase cancellation, especially if the mic is placed in a dark spot.
- Try using mics with low self Noise, and for accoustic guitar I recommend the Rode Nt2a. It's not going to break the bank.
- Most audio recording programs come with compressor plugins built into it. That would really bring it to life, and if you use a compressor in reverse it actually works as a noise gate to cancel out low noise, such as a fridge running.
- Try using a sharp EQ to dip out 60hz and 120hz, that should reduce the EM frequencies that a mic pick up being that we are on a 60hz electrical circuts.

That sort of thing. Home recordings aren't bad, just improperly shielded for noise. Therefore little tips like that can make all the difference. Hope it helps a little :)

SScott
01-08-2010, 02:38 AM
not my genre but not bad

CUG
01-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by SScott
not my genre but not bad Mine either.. at all actually.

Deek, I had no hand in the recording or anything there. I'll let them know. Sure it's not your computer fan? :P

DeeK
01-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by CUG
Deek, I had no hand in the recording or anything there. I'll let them know. Sure it's not your computer fan? :P

Lol, I'm sure :P

Again, all in all, impressive song dude. Keep it up.

nonlinear
01-08-2010, 11:41 AM
honestly, i don't like it. i'm not trying to be rude, but i started playing guitar in 1991 and have been in many, many 'bands' and musical projects, whatever, and it's really not that big of a deal to "throw together" a piece of crap song like that in an hour.

CUG
01-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
i'm not trying to be rude, but i started playing guitar in 1991 and have been in many, many 'bands' and musical projects, whatever, and it's really not that big of a deal to "throw together" a piece of crap song like that in an hour. You never really have to "try" to be rude nonlinear, I would say it's naturally occurring.

The guy in the video has been playing guitar and doing vocals much longer than you have. If you were as prominent in the scene as you claim to be, you probably would have known who it is in the video. No matter, I'll let you feel challenged and insecure here.

This isn't my type of music at all, but since it's friends of mine, I'm plugging it for them. Again, I'm not entirely sure how that generated any feelings of insecurity for you NL, but I appreciate your input. I'd like to hear some of your work if you have any :thumbsup:

nonlinear
01-08-2010, 01:57 PM
^^well, you opened this thread by typing "Thoughts?"

i'm just being honest, man. i'm sorry, but i don't sugarcoat things just to avoid offending people. IMO, being dishonest with your opinions is a far bigger offense than saying that you don't like something.

i'm not about to get into a pissing match about who knows more about what "scenes," etc. etc. etc. i'm not claiming to be anything in calgary's scene... i was born and raised in minneapolis which is entirely different. we don't even need to go there, for reals.

i'm not trying to start fights, but you asked for thoughts and i said i don't like it. and i still don't. :dunno:

msommers
01-08-2010, 02:03 PM
I didn't mind it, pretty simple and easy to listen to.

LOL Nonlinear you fuckin crack me up sometimes.

Kloubek
01-08-2010, 02:06 PM
This is not in my typical genre either, but I appreciate many types of music and can say I think this is pretty darn good stuff.

Of course, a true studio would be better. But they aren't recording in a studio are they? I think the OP is more interested of what people think of the song itself. And it's quite good.

My only real suggestion is that I feel like it has no climax. I feel through the song that I expect it to build to an apex which never happens. Granted, it is a slow, quiter song. But I still think that even such a type of song can manage to hit a peak.

Nonlinear: Even though I have you on ignore, I still catch your comments through quoting. Please, if it is so easy to create a song like this, give it a shot and post it on here. Maybe then your asshole comments won't seem so hollow. Until then, you just continue to look like you hate the world and everything in it. Answering truthfully isn't the problem. It's just that you put such an unrequired negative spin on *everything* you talk about...

beyond_ban
01-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Not a fan. At all.

On a side note, do you look like your friends?

nonlinear
01-08-2010, 02:35 PM
CUG and kloubek (even though you apparently can't read this, hahahah):
i'm sorry, but i value my anonymity far more than my reputation among a few kids on beyond.ca. i'm also grown up and confident enough that I don't have to validate myself via internet pissing matches. :dunno:

shutterbug_art8
01-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Pretty good for redneck music. I enjoyed it.

TimeAttack
01-08-2010, 03:58 PM
That's what kid rock has been up to lately....

89s1
01-08-2010, 04:31 PM
nonlinear is a fucking joke, borderline troll with all of the stupid comments and threads he makes.

You start pissing matches and then say something like " i'm also grown up and confident enough that I don't have to validate myself via internet pissing matches."

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

nonlinear
01-08-2010, 05:11 PM
:drama:

01RedDX
01-08-2010, 05:25 PM

polarice
01-08-2010, 06:32 PM
I agree with nl. Anyone can throw together a song, some are rad some are god awful. But I more so agree with the post about the song not having a climax and such.Nothing special about it to make me not click on another video after 30 seconds.

gqmw
01-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
CUG and kloubek (even though you apparently can't read this, hahahah):
i'm sorry, but i value my anonymity far more than my reputation among a few kids on beyond.ca. i'm also grown up and confident enough that I don't have to validate myself via internet pissing matches. :dunno:

You obviously feel the need to validate yourself...in your first post in this thread "i'm not trying to be rude, but i started playing guitar in 1991 and have been in many, many 'bands' and musical projects."

I don't see why you are so reluctant to post validation of the things you say you can do when you're called out on.

Even I know who's in the video...and I don't like the genre or listen to it.

I thought the song was decent overall, quality not so good, but the song itself alright. I like softer music, so I enjoyed it even though I don't usually like this genre of music.

bourge73
01-08-2010, 07:51 PM
everybody is a armchair musician? that's funny. I ve played for years as well and been in good bands. Is it a great song, no, but it is a good try? fuc ya, hats off, and you cant blame anybody for that.

CUG
01-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Damn, wow. No, I don't look like them. I couldn't pull it off, but I used to want long ass rocker hair back when I was 14. If I'm not mistaken those guys do pretty well for themselves, to the point of it not really being an issue to them.

Nonlinear, I owe you a thank you, because I actually thought about your response quite a bit... and if I sound even remotely as assholish and pre-loaded with rage as you when I respond to relatively innocent threads like these, then I will be a changed man from this point forward.

Doesn't help that I've been on a bit of a self-improvement path lately, looking to evolve out of negative thinking and assumptions about everything. I have you in part to thank for my anticipated success.

bubbley
01-08-2010, 09:00 PM
That was horrible man, sorry.

Kloubek
01-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Horrible? Even if one doesn't think it is that great, I think anyone who claims it is "horrible" is just being a dick.

But from someone who claims to drive "the ladies crazy", and has a .17 post ratio and an 89% user rating, I wouldn't read too much into his opinion, OP.

bubbley
01-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Horrible? Even if one doesn't think it is that great, I think anyone who claims it is "horrible" is just being a dick.

But from someone who claims to drive "the ladies crazy", and has a .17 post ratio and an 89% user rating, I wouldn't read too much into his opinion, OP.

True....its just my opinion.

barmanjay
01-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I think its great for something whipped up in an evening!

There are many other songs out there that are worse.

I played it and also had GemCraft Chapter 0 from armour games open - it has the howlling wind sound fx in the background while the vid played,.. sounded great.

CUG
01-08-2010, 09:27 PM
I'll pass these sentiments along. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

cancer man
01-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Good song but i have to agree it needs a finally.

JMaj7
01-09-2010, 12:15 PM
What genre is it? Folk music?
I don't think it was bad but it didn't seem to go anywhere. I wouldn't mind checking out the final version.

ExtraSlow
01-10-2010, 04:10 PM
I might not be qualified to comment, but I felt it had nothing to pull me in.
I don't give two shits about sound quality or those things, or even if the guy is a good guitarist, cause I know he's a hell of a lot better than me.
just wasn't that thrilled with the song. I think they need to work on it some more.

Also, I :love: nonlinear. This isn't an internet hug-fest, it's an honest exchange of raw opinion. He's great at that, even if he does ruffle a few feathers on the less confident members.

zipdoa
01-10-2010, 04:19 PM
doesn't seem to be a complete song, feels like it's just the same riff looped over and over. It could greatly benefit from gain, distortion, some carefully inserted echo. the song has some potential, but feels very shallow and plain. a little more work with harmonizing, layering, and richer textures could bring it out more.

BigShow
01-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Sounds good! Listend to it a couple times, really liked it.

01RedDX
01-10-2010, 05:12 PM

CUG
01-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa
doesn't seem to be a complete song, feels like it's just the same riff looped over and over. It could greatly benefit from gain, distortion, some carefully inserted echo. the song has some potential, but feels very shallow and plain. a little more work with harmonizing, layering, and richer textures could bring it out more. I think they plugged in some mics and plugged it into whatever recording program they used.. I doubt there was a lot of post production editing at all. I do agree on the completeness thing too. I'm still trying to actually like the mood of the song..

7thgenvic
01-11-2010, 01:36 AM
I enjoyed it..... You need to remember... All beyond members are talented and date super models. Keep up the good work.

403ep3
01-11-2010, 01:54 AM
The song was okay but I still think nonlinear is :bullshit:

Ruggzy_McTuggz
01-11-2010, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Nah, completely disagree, he's the less confident member and needs to feel like a big man by saying that shit.

Raw opinion is: look, here's what I don't like, here's what I would do differently, here's how I would record it, etc.
Not: you're crap, I'm so much better, I would prove it, but I'm too busy.
That's a POS thing to say, and I stand by that.

Could not agree more heh... not a huge fan of the song, but can appreciate the musical talent, lord knows I couldn't do anything close to it.

Non-linear comes along and talks big with nothing to back it up. Until mommy pays for his recording studio to be built in her basement, I am certain we will not hear anything substantial from that waste of skin

<3 Non-linear

vengie
01-11-2010, 03:50 AM
I definatley like it... Nice easy listening.

Great work!

zipdoa
01-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by CUG
I think they plugged in some mics and plugged it into whatever recording program they used.. I doubt there was a lot of post production editing at all. I do agree on the completeness thing too. I'm still trying to actually like the mood of the song..

post production is definitely key to getting a polished sound, but you should get them to look into the following guitar pedals/musical devices:

Roland Space Echo RE-201
Boss Digital Delay DD-20
E-bow Electronic bow
Digitech Whammy IV
some sort of wah, be it a wahwah pedal or an envelope filter like the electroharmonix q-tron

playing around with these pedals and getting some cool 'tones' (i fucking detest when some strat playing cowboy talks about his tone) will help make you sound more original, more interesting, and more talented! they are great for adding texture and feeling to your sound, and are obviously all pre-production effects.

TKRIS
01-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Fucking E Bow. That's the musical equivalent to auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Once you start with the e bow, you can't get off any other way.

Some friends had a band in high school and the lead guitar player got an ebow. All he wanted to do from there on out was play long, drawn out, single note stoner solos and melodies. He got kicked out, and got got brought in.
Sure, I sucked (and still do), but at least I sucked in a much less annoying way.

Canmorite
01-11-2010, 04:11 PM
A young Simon & Garfunkel? Not bad!

zipdoa
01-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
Fucking E Bow. That's the musical equivalent to auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Once you start with the e bow, you can't get off any other way.

Some friends had a band in high school and the lead guitar player got an ebow. All he wanted to do from there on out was play long, drawn out, single note stoner solos and melodies. He got kicked out, and got got brought in.
Sure, I sucked (and still do), but at least I sucked in a much less annoying way.

god forbid he get a sustaining pickup

OCDP
01-17-2010, 11:49 PM
I liked it. Obviously being a second take or being in the early stages there's lots of room for change ups, structure and improvements.

They need a drummer? Haha. I need people to jam with again.