PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your 2003 Honda Civic LX

freshprince1
01-08-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm seriously looking at downsizing to a Honda Civic since my Maxima was written off(See Thread) (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/287212/i-was-in-that-50-car-pile-up-on-hwy-2/) , and I'll only really be driving to and from work, commuting from Okotoks. I bought the Maxima when it would double as a family car. I no longer need my car to serve both functions.

So I've found an '03 LX Sport that I like, and at a decent price. I'm pretty familiar with cars, and I think I know what to expect from a Civic; nothing fast or fancy, just a reliable way to get from A to B.

Anything else I should know? Anything I should be looking out for?

It's going to be hard moving into a Civic from a Maxima, but I'll have to take solace in the fuel economy I'll be gaining (like $20 a month, whoopty-doo!).

Any other pertinent information is welcomed.

one_civic
01-08-2010, 04:14 PM
things to check:
lower compliance bushings, if torn, LCA will hit subframe
Front struts leak
exhaust manifold crack
p.s. pump, if shot will have no assist, noticeable at full turn

The rest is pretty common wear items, tires, brakes, t-belt, etc.
I would personally go for a 96-2000 civic or a 1.6EL. more solid car.

freshprince1
01-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by one_civic
things to check:
lower compliance bushings, if torn, LCA will hit subframe
Front struts leak
exhaust manifold crack
p.s. pump, if shot will have no assist, noticeable at full turn

The rest is pretty common wear items, tires, brakes, t-belt, etc.
I would personally go for a 96-2000 civic or a 1.6EL. more solid car.

Thanks for the info. I'm not too mechanical in my knowhow. I'll check the inspection report and take a closer look throughout.

Afrodeziak
01-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I've got a 2004. I normally get just over 6L/100km on highway and around 10L/100KM in the city? Worse when it's cold and I don't let the car warm up enough.

I've had mine 2 years now and haven't really had to touch it. Oil changes, etc. Seems like the poster above me has more knowledge so I thought I'd chime in on mileage.

01RedDX
01-08-2010, 05:32 PM

one_civic
01-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Yeah I forgot about the DRL, that's a simple fix though. all 1998-2005 honda's will have a crack sometime or another in the DRL module circuit board. You can either solder the crack or replace the DRL module.
Aside from those item's there pretty solid cars. Another option is the 1998-2002 accords. Not alot of problems but stay away from the 3.0 v6 though.