PDA

View Full Version : WTF, $79.32? for what!

Shaolin
11-26-2003, 12:48 AM
I got a package slip today from UPS.. it was some electronics parts I was getting from the states.. I look at the slip, and it says

"Brokerage COD Due, $79.32"

I don't really know how it works, so please, someone explain to me what this 80 bucks is for.. this is bs. :thumbsdow :whipped: :banghead:

CRXguy
11-26-2003, 12:50 AM
What's the value of the parts? UPS ground/express?

This is why I will never deal with UPS again. Learned my lesson once! :guns:

davidI
11-26-2003, 12:50 AM
It's cause UPS does it's own customs charges and they're retardedly high. I bought an exhaust in a group buy for $100 and shipping/brokerage was an additional $100 by the time it got here.

Shaolin
11-26-2003, 12:52 AM
it was fucking parts for a Nokia 8890.. fucking bullshit, 80 bucks.. christ.. i'm going to talk to them when i pick the package up this week.. that's insane.

ryder_23
11-26-2003, 12:54 AM
send package back to sender, and get him to ship it out usps...i did that long time ago, my fee was 50$, said the hell with that, got it sent back, and then he sent it back usps, paid 10$ instead of 50$.

04blackMAX
11-26-2003, 12:55 AM
never use UPS everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..they suck

That.Guy.S30
11-26-2003, 01:31 AM
fuck you guys are scaring me.. i should be receiving somethin by ups on wednesday.. fuck i bought it for 50 CDN i hope this isnt goin to be ugly

kenny
11-26-2003, 01:34 AM
UPS is the absolute worst company to ship with, I use FedEX whenever I can for international shipments to avoid outrageous customs brokerage fees.

max_boost
11-26-2003, 01:35 AM
Brown sucks, those fees are ridiculous

JAYMEZ
11-26-2003, 01:40 AM
UPS should only be used for Bussiness' cuz they have the money to dish out for the fast delivery

prosh
11-26-2003, 01:41 AM
If you're shipping down to the US, go with Xpresspost which goes thru USPS. As long as the written value of the package is kept down, customs usually won't even bother opening it up, which saves you at least 5 bux!

THE GOVERNATOR
11-26-2003, 01:44 AM
ups is pready ludichris fedex or courrier post is a good way to go

rage2
11-26-2003, 02:25 AM
UPS trivia:

If you send UPS ground, you'll have to pay brokerage. Anything over $20 gets customs applied to it, so with a $20 item, there's $1.40 in GST, and they'll charge $50 for brokerage.

Oddly enough, if you ship UPS air for the same item, they don't charge brokerage. And shipping is usually about $10 more than ground for small items. So you'll get the package quicker, and cheaper!

You can't really decline either, they just send you the package, and the bill later on, regardless if you accepted it or not.

Stratus_Power
11-26-2003, 03:01 AM
i ALWAYS try to get stuff send up here Via USPS. so far i've had noo problem w/ it ( except for once.. but it was kinda the post office's fault) and the shipping rate is relatively good.

and year Custom rarely opens up the package to check unless you claim some unrealistic value. I had a PDA valued at 600 CND sent to me and i told the guy to claim it as 215USD. i ended up only paying $32 for custom/duty ( including $8 import processing fee)

link785
11-26-2003, 03:11 AM
Just a reminder to everyone, customs is getting pretty strict now, so be careful, cause trying to fuck those guys over isn't a good idea at all.

Ajay
11-26-2003, 04:26 AM
I got a bill from FedEx for $45.91 regarding an amp I bought from a dude in the US at the beginning of this month. I got the amp in July and they sent me a notice dated October 21 saying I owed money for delivery charges. I haven't paid shit and I'm not going to either....haven't heard from them since I got the notice.

rc2002
11-26-2003, 09:48 AM
Rage2 is totally right. I've had a lot of bad experiences shipping with UPS so I called them up to complain. Then I found out that brokerage fees are only charged on ground shipments.

So even though it costs more initally to ship by air, after all taxes and brokerage fees it ends up being more expensive (and takes longer) to ship by ground.

FedEx has lower broker fees and USPS has even lower ones. I tried getting the value of packages written down and sent as gifts, etc. etc. But they aren't stupid - they held my speakers before and I almost didn't get them...

But if it's believable, then get the guy to mark the package as a gift marked under $60cdn. With Canada Post you pay no broker fees or GST.

I think the reason why UPS charges so much is because they screw up all the time. I once had an entire body kit and ram air hood delivered to my house from Toronto for $46. I think they went after the shipper for the shipping fees, but the seller went out of business...

roopi
11-26-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by davidI
It's cause UPS does it's own customs charges and they're retardedly high. I bought an exhaust in a group buy for $100 and shipping/brokerage was an additional $100 by the time it got here.

Customs are charged and set by the Canadian Goverment not by UPS. UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc. all charge the same customs fees. The difference is the brokerage fee charged. Canada Post can only charge a maximum of $5.00 CAD for the actual brokerage fee so they are the best in this aspect.

Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
fuck you guys are scaring me.. i should be receiving somethin by ups on wednesday.. fuck i bought it for 50 CDN i hope this isnt goin to be ugly

It all depends on the item being shipped and where it was manufactured. If the item is manufactured outside the U.S. you will be charged duty. It actually even matters what different components make up the item.

Example: When shipping an item such as a watch from Canada to the U.S.A. that is manufactured in China you must declare whether it comes with a battery or not, the type of movement, the material of the strap, the material of the casing, and the material of the back. The reason they ask for this is because each part is charged a different percentage of duty and the over all watch is also charged a flat fee.

Originally posted by rage2
UPS trivia:

If you send UPS ground, you'll have to pay brokerage. Anything over $20 gets customs applied to it, so with a $20 item, there's $1.40 in GST, and they'll charge $50 for brokerage.

Not true. Items can be up to $100.00 CAD and be shipped UPS ground and not be charged customs.

Originally posted by Stratus_Power
i ALWAYS try to get stuff send up here Via USPS. so far i've had noo problem w/ it ( except for once.. but it was kinda the post office's fault) and the shipping rate is relatively good.

and year Custom rarely opens up the package to check unless you claim some unrealistic value. I had a PDA valued at 600 CND sent to me and i told the guy to claim it as 215USD. i ended up only paying $32 for custom/duty ( including $8 import processing fee)

USPS/Canada Post in good to use but their tracking system is very slow but still worth it. The only problem with declaring something for a lower value is that you can only insure the package for the value declared. Even if they do let you insure the item for more than the declared value you won't be able to recover more than the declared value if something does happen.

Originally posted by link785
Just a reminder to everyone, customs is getting pretty strict now, so be careful, cause trying to fuck those guys over isn't a good idea at all.

Very true! They can and will seize a package! Pretty much you can't do shit. I know!

Originally posted by Ajay
I got a bill from FedEx for $45.91 regarding an amp I bought from a dude in the US at the beginning of this month. I got the amp in July and they sent me a notice dated October 21 saying I owed money for delivery charges. I haven't paid shit and I'm not going to either....haven't heard from them since I got the notice.

Fedex, Canada Post, USPS, Purolator all do this. They will send bills for customs fees upto 3-5 months after a package has cleared. They use a seperate brokerage firm that will send the notification(s) of payment. I've only experienced this once through Purolator. They will send multiple notifications and send it to a collection agency if it is not paid.

Originally posted by richardchan2002
Rage2 is totally right. I've had a lot of bad experiences shipping with UPS so I called them up to complain. Then I found out that brokerage fees are only charged on ground shipments.

Brokerage is charged on air shipments as well. It may not be as high because it is built into the price.

Originally posted by richardchan2002

FedEx has lower broker fees and USPS has even lower ones. I tried getting the value of packages written down and sent as gifts, etc. etc. But they aren't stupid - they held my speakers before and I almost didn't get them...

USPS ships through Canada Post therefore they are limited to charge a $5.00 brokerage fee.

davidI
11-26-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Customs are charged and set by the Canadian Goverment not by UPS. UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc. all charge the same customs fees. The difference is the brokerage fee charged. Canada Post can only charge a maximum of $5.00 CAD for the actual brokerage fee so they are the best in this aspect.

Sorry, by customs I just meant the brokerage / customs costs. Either way, on some items there is no duty to be charged however you will still be charged the brokerage fee in my experience.

Not true. Items can be up to $100.00 CAD and be shipped UPS ground and not be charged customs.

Bzzzt, wrong, sort of. It doesn't really matter what duties you are charged because you will still have to pay teh brokerage. Here's the rates on their website for brokerage
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html
Rage was right...

roopi
11-26-2003, 01:59 PM

Sorry, by customs I just meant the brokerage / customs costs. Either way, on some items there is no duty to be charged however you will still be charged the brokerage fee in my experience.

Are you saying if there is no duty charge you still were charged a brokerage fee? A brokerage fee is charged because the company paid your duties to the goverment on your behalf. So if there were no duties paid they should not be charging brokerage.

Bzzzt, wrong, sort of. It doesn't really matter what duties you are charged because you will still have to pay teh brokerage. Here's the rates on their website for brokerage
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html
Rage was right...

Well according to the chart I am wrong. I've been shipping the same packages for 3 months with UPS ground to different areas of the U.S.A and each one is always valued at $100.00 CAD and it none of them have ever been charged. Maybe I've just been lucky. (Knock on wood)

Davan
11-26-2003, 02:35 PM
I had my $650 exhaust system shipped from the States. When it arrived, I was surprised to see a big label on the outside that read "Industrial piping sample. Please return after completing your evaluation". And I didn't have to pay a dime on it! :thumbsup:

roopi
11-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Davan
I had my $650 exhaust system shipped from the States. When it arrived, I was surprised to see a big label on the outside that read "Industrial piping sample. Please return after completing your evaluation". And I didn't have to pay a dime on it! :thumbsup:

:rofl:

good deal.

Altezza
11-26-2003, 02:42 PM

Are you saying if there is no duty charge you still were charged a brokerage fee? A brokerage fee is charged because the company paid your duties to the goverment on your behalf. So if there were no duties paid they should not be charging brokerage.

Brokerage fee applies whenever a 3rd party clears your package and pays duties OR taxes on your behalf. So yeah, if you're charged GST, they could drop a brokerage fee on you.

Well according to the chart I am wrong. I've been shipping the same packages for 3 months with UPS ground to different areas of the U.S.A and each one is always valued at $100.00 CAD and it none of them have ever been charged.
[/quote]

Brokerage fees are charged to the recipient of the package. If you're sending items to the USA, then your customers would be the ones paying any applicable brokerage fees. If you read the find print in the shipping agreements, it does state the the ultimate liability for the fees falls on the shipper if the receiver fails to pay. Value for imported "gifts" for tax exemption is really low (can't remember exact figure, $20?)

Toms-Celica
11-26-2003, 02:44 PM
For my parts I payed $128 dollars for UPS fees. The package was worth around $900 CAN.

roopi
11-26-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

then your customers would be the ones paying any applicable brokerage fees.

That's what I said. None of them have ever had to pay on orders marked for $100.00 CAD or less. Orders marked above $100.00 CAD have been charged.

Altezza
11-26-2003, 02:52 PM

That's what I said. None of them have ever had to pay on orders marked for $100.00 CAD or less. Orders marked above $100.00 CAD have been charged.

There are different rules/regulations/taxes/duties for items entering the USA than entering Canada.

Roaring G60
11-26-2003, 07:14 PM
this says it all

Seanith
11-26-2003, 07:49 PM
Yeah i NEVER use UPS anymore.. i got rapped on one thing pretty bad and i'll never use them again. Canada Post or USPS all the way.

That.Guy.S30
11-26-2003, 08:02 PM

it all depends on the item being shipped and where it was manufactured. If the item is manufactured outside the U.S. you will be charged duty. It actually even matters what different components make up the item.

yea im gettin a processor for my deck.. so ill find out tommorow!

Shaolin
11-26-2003, 09:58 PM
I'm calling UPS tomorrow, apparently if i told them that my phone was being repaired then I don't have to pay the COD, or whatever.. that's what the UPS dude said.. we'll see.

gpomp
11-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Whenever UPS shows up with something and wants some crazy brokerage fee for it, I tell them to send it back. :thumbsup: