PDA

View Full Version : Beyond needs a chat

powerslave
11-26-2003, 01:08 AM
Yes, I did search, and yes I did see the other posts where people inquired why there is no Beyond chatroom. While I somewhat agree that a chat-room goes against everything a message board stands for I still think it'd be nice if there was a chatroom set up. Anyone else agree? (as if anyone reads this forum anyways :)

MK3HKS
11-26-2003, 01:12 AM
naw, then no1 will post anything....every1 will be chattin

kenny
11-26-2003, 01:32 AM
This suggestion has been brought up in the past and after some thought and discussion it was decided that in the interests of running the car forums, it would be best if we did not also run a chat system.

For chatting, there are lots of alternatives such as MSN Messenger, ICQ, and many others. Feel free to swap MSN/ICQ information amongst yourselves, put it in your sig, etc and chat that way.

:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
11-26-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by kenny
This suggestion has been brought up in the past and after some thought and discussion it was decided that in the interests of running the car forums, it would be best if we did not also run a chat system.

For chatting, there are lots of alternatives such as MSN Messenger, ICQ, and many others. Feel free to swap MSN/ICQ information amongst yourselves, put it in your sig, etc and chat that way.

:thumbsup: well, beyond has grown a lot lately, and with 5000 members the forums can stay busy even with a chat room.

hjr
11-26-2003, 10:22 AM
this place IS a chat room now. you only have to wait 1 minute to get 5 more posts to check out. Because of the volume a chat isnt nessisary. Plus, a chat would be over crowded and people would just head to private chats, which is exactly what MSN and ICQ do, so as stated by kenny, its not nessisary.

Superesc
11-26-2003, 10:29 AM
its not a matter of how many members we have on the forum, but the purpose of a functional forum. Would a chatroom be a positive addition/value to the absolute purpose of a functioning forum? or would it just divert & dilute the purpose? Sometime ppl just keep adding functions to a forum/site that it loses focus and purpose. More is not always better.

I think one of the reason why a chat would detract from a functional forum is that all the discussion that goes on in the chat would not be documented and ppl who aren't in the chat would not gain any learnings from it. The forum is meant to be a storage of learnings, so that users from anywhere at anytime can find/ask what they need.

By creating a chat room we may lose some valuable learnings... and therefore will lose values/payoff to our members.

Aside from valuable learnings, its always fun to be able to join in (and carry on) on the latest jokes, flames and owning eventhough they happened a few days ago. :D

nismodrifter
11-26-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Superesc
Aside from valuable learnings, its always fun to be able to join in (and carry on) on the latest jokes, flames and owning eventhough they happened a few days ago. :D

:werd: :D :D

legendboy
11-26-2003, 11:15 AM
if you want a chat just open up an irc chat

Tiny
11-26-2003, 12:36 PM
I like to read funny stuff that people put up...if everyone was chatting then nobody would have anything funny to post..cause they would have already told everyone

sikh_n_destroy
11-26-2003, 12:45 PM
its a good idea.......

chat rooms will be good..for only beyond members and stuff...

tat way if someone is planning to meet someone to buy or sell or trade.....u can talk on the chat place....

tat would be really good!!!!

otherwise u gotta wait for msg and stuff all the time....

lol..i dont know..tats wat i was thinkin....:rofl: :rofl:

Superesc
11-26-2003, 02:14 PM
don't forget there is the PM and there is the phone if its urgent?

surferbaby13
11-26-2003, 10:55 PM
i agree
:thumbsup:

sikh_n_destroy
11-26-2003, 11:52 PM
just a thought!!!!

sputnik
11-27-2003, 08:26 AM
for those that are interested in chatting...

i have started #beyond.ca on EFNet...

if you dont know what im talking about... visit www.mirc.com

Zephyr
11-30-2003, 12:36 PM
chatting gets rid of the forum purpose. plus we have the occasional immature member so there will be post whores in there spamming the crap out of it. plus those who dont like beyond might do that too...