PDA

View Full Version : Wrench Extension Trick

woovic
01-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Had to replace a serpentine belt, but due to the lack of space beside the tensioner bolt, I wasn't able to use a ratchet. Ended up using having to use a poor man's wrench extension to get a bit more leverage. Use at your own risk, not responsible for anyone losing an eye from flying wrenches.

How to Increase The Leverage of Wrench
You can use this trick to increase the turning power of a box wrench by using a second wrench to extend the working lever-arm.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5264909_increase-leverage-wrench.html

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2562/chwrench2full.jpg

RickDaTuner
01-09-2010, 06:07 PM
While I have been caught using this trick once or twice, I Have only used this method when I know a fastener is below the torque my hand alone is capable of handling, and also in a awkward position.
It's not really recommended at all, if you are dealing with a fastener that can not be removed using a open end wrench by hand, then you need to move over to a socket and breaker bar.

Doing this ruins your wrench, causes the potential for hairline cracks in the metal, and tool face damage.
To add on that hardened Carbon steel does not give warning when it close to the point of failure.

I remember back when I was in school, my instructor deducted a few 'hands-on' points to a classmate for doing this during class, this after giving him a 10min speech on why you should not do it.

Use the right tools for the right job, and you wont find yourselves in situation that require stuff like this.

Supa Dexta
01-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Anyone who has touched a wrench before should know this.. :nut:

Stealth13
01-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by woovic
Had to replace a serpentine belt, but due to the lack of space beside the tensioner bolt, I wasn't able to use a ratchet. Ended up using having to use a poor man's wrench extension to get a bit more leverage. Use at your own risk, not responsible for anyone losing an eye from flying wrenches.

How to Increase The Leverage of Wrench
You can use this trick to increase the turning power of a box wrench by using a second wrench to extend the working lever-arm.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5264909_increase-leverage-wrench.html

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2562/chwrench2full.jpg

i have known this since i was like 2 years old :banghead:

Kloubek
01-09-2010, 06:21 PM
I was never taught it, but it made sense a couple of times in the past.

Dumbass17
01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
lol i agree

95teetee
01-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Anyone who has touched a wrench before should know this.. :nut: this'

I thought it was the only reason for one box end/ one open end:D

chadnixon
01-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Sure.. with a craftsman wrench. With my 1000 dollar snap-on set, no way. :eek:

spike98
01-09-2010, 07:45 PM
I used to do this all the time when i worked as a fitter for the patch. If you were caught doing it however, i believe it was a $1000 fine from OH&S

89s1
01-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Nice to see the replies in this thread, this should be common knowledge given the nature of the site.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Originally posted by RickDaTuner

Use the right tools for the right job, and you wont find yourselves in situation that require stuff like this.

This however, is bullshit. Sometimes you NEED a wrench, and sometimes the wrench doesn't give enough leverage. Sometime the perfect tool for the job is this.

RickDaTuner
01-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
Nice to see the replies in this thread, this should be common knowledge given the nature of the site.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This however, is bullshit. Sometimes you NEED a wrench, and sometimes the wrench doesn't give enough leverage. Sometime the perfect tool for the job is this.

Your tools man. Some of us have over 30k invested in them, and have been taught in the proper method of repair. so I'll leave this trick to you guys:thumbsup: :drama:

It's true that there are instances when you are working on a car that it seems that this is the only way, but I can guarantee you that the vehicle manufacture has made a specialty tool for just that application. For those moments that there is no such specialty tool, then you buy the appropriate long handle wrench which can take the extra leverage.

In the case of the OP using it to remove a serp belt; well hey there is a tool for that.
Its called a serpentine ratcheting wrench....

It's practices like these that define the weekend warrior/back yard wrench turner from the experienced disciplined technician.

89s1
01-09-2010, 09:10 PM
K, so right... as a backyard mechanic working on my car and my buddies cars I've used this trick without fail plenty of times.

That majority of us that do our own work use tools we've acquired over the years and we don't have 30k worth :nut:

You don't honestly expect us all to use specialty tools every time we get hung up on something do you??? :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm a proud backyard mechanic, and the last time I brought my car to a shop was for a TSB.

5000Audi
01-09-2010, 09:16 PM

Your tools man. Some of us have over 30k invested in them, and have been taught in the proper method of repair. so I'll leave the this trick to you guys:thumbsup: :drama:

i dunno about you but all the tools i buy usually come with a lifetime replacement garentee..ive snapped a few wrenchs doing this.. simply went to can tire or westward and got a free replacement... so i dunno but your 30K in tools must be 30K in shitty tools with no warentee

FiveFreshFish
01-09-2010, 09:18 PM
For those moments that there is no such specialty tool, then you buy the appropriate long handle wrench which can take the extra leverage.

Provided that:
- the store has the proper long wrench in stock
- the store is open
- you can get to the store to buy it, assuming the first two points above are met
- you leave the project and wait until you get the right tool to continue
- you can afford to buy something you may use on a rare occasion

RickDaTuner
01-09-2010, 09:19 PM
K, so right... as a backyard mechanic working on my car and my buddies cars I've used this trick without fail plenty of times.

That majority of us that do our own work use tools we've acquired over the years and we don't have 30k worth :nut:

You don't honestly expect us all to use specialty tools every time we get hung up on something do you??? :rolleyes:

Well Hey I don't expect anything from anyone.
As a private individual you are free to do as your please, they are your vehicles after all. What I post is there solely to inform those who wish to be informed

The major reason I reply like I do is because durring school I had some of the best Instructors that Calgary has to offer, and they did a very good job of ingraining proper procedure and technique. Which is crucial when you do this for a living.
Further more for some one like myself who has gone on to work or the more expensive exotics. things like these can not take place
Where the application of Aluminum/magnesium fasteners are in heavy use, Fasteners that requires true and un marred tool surfaces in order to prevent damage.

Like I said, they are your tools, they are your cars. You put in the quality and pride that you see fit. ;)

89s1
01-09-2010, 09:22 PM
You came off horribly pretentious in your post, and only slightly less in the one above...

I can understand your need to qualify yourself in the posts you make, but your choice of wording leaves something to be desired. That's all.

RickDaTuner
01-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi

i dunno about you but all the tools i buy usually come with a lifetime replacement garentee..ive snapped a few wrenchs doing this.. simply went to can tire or westward and got a free replacement... so i dunno but your 30K in tools must be 30K in shitty tools with no warentee

Yes because Snap On and Facom are cheap tools:thumbsup:

the fact that you are admiting to snaping tools by doing this proves that this is an incorrect technique.

FiveFreshFish
01-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Which is crucial when you do this for a living.

Well that's the difference right there. Most of us backyard hacks who don't do this for a living never got the proper training.

RickDaTuner
01-09-2010, 09:25 PM
You came off horribly pretentious in your post, and only slightly less in the one above...

I can understand your need to qualify yourself in the posts you make, but your choice of wording leaves something to be desired. That's all.

There are those of us who take pride in what we do, if that comes off as pretentious then so be it.

In the same line of thought though, I could say that you come off as crude and ignorant to the issue at hand. :dunno:

89s1
01-09-2010, 09:29 PM
I take pride in my repairs as well, it's your wording and not your work I base my comment on.

Call me crude all you like, but certainly not ignorant :)

RickDaTuner
01-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Well that's the difference right there. Most of us backyard hacks who don't do this for a living never got the proper training.

I am not here to insult or belittle anyone. Are we not all here to learn something and share knowledge?
the only reason there is an argument taking place right now is because some one decided to post a crude short fused remark to information that was post.

let it be peeps, you guys all should know by now, I post for the sake of passing on what I have learned. Yes I challenge some of you at times, but that's more to steer in the right direction and not to insult and devalue...

Wow, this post has really taken a turn...

BerserkerCatSplat
01-09-2010, 09:31 PM

Further more for some one like myself who has gone on to work or the more expensive exotics. things like these can not take place
Where the application of Aluminum/magnesium fasteners are in heavy use, Fasteners that requires true and un marred tool surfaces in order to prevent damage.

Yes, clearly the OP was advising that people should use this technique when servicing their Gallardos. Clearly.

89s1
01-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Yes, clearly the OP was advising that people should use this technique when servicing their Gallardos. Clearly.

:thumbsup:

RickDaTuner
01-09-2010, 09:33 PM
I take pride in my repairs as well, it's your wording and not your work I base my comment on.

Call me crude all you like, but certainly not ignorant :)

Well just to be clear, I was not calling you crude or ignorant, just mearly pointing out that words can be turned to what ever you like on a web forum.

Heck I know your an intelligent individual, you have lots to offer.

I think I am done with this

haha :rofl:

kamatayan
01-09-2010, 09:39 PM

+1

would this void the warranty of my blue point... .. .
:rolleyes:

89s1
01-09-2010, 09:45 PM

Well just to be clear, I was not calling you crude or ignorant, just mearly pointing out that words can be turned to what ever you like on a web forum.

Heck I know your an intelligent individual, you have lots to offer.

I think I am done with this

haha :rofl:

If you were to re-read your first post of this page you did call me crude. It's just that I don't really have a problem with it.

I get by just fine with my crusty old husky tool-box and the mastercraft/craftsman tools therein.

StreetRacerX
01-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Had to do this except with 3 wrenches, had to replace rear turbo on my car and the heat shield has a bolt on the side facing the firewall, could barely put my hand in but I put a stubby ratchet box wrench on it, hooked a 7/8 onto that then a 3/4 onto that one, worked like a charm.

RickDaTuner
01-09-2010, 09:50 PM

If you were to re-read your first post of this page you did call me crude. It's just that I don't really have a problem with it.

I get by just fine with my crusty old husky tool-box and the mastercraft/craftsman tools therein.

Well I am sorry to have stated that. My apologize

For the record I used to use, and swear by a set of Master-craft tools for the longest time.

89s1
01-09-2010, 09:54 PM

Well I am sorry to have stated that. My apologize

Water under the bridge my good man. I try not to get hung up on stuff said in haste. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

chadnixon
01-09-2010, 10:04 PM
I have over 40K invested in my tools, and about another 10 in the box alone. Everything I have is snap-on, and mac tools, so yes everything does have a life-time warranty. However if I was to use the "wrench trick" I wouldn't be worried about the tools breaking and having to replace them, I'd be worried about my knuckles smashing off the manifold studs. Trust me, wreck your hands in a life time as many times as I do in a day and there would be no way in hell you will double up wrenches like that. Sure, it works, might work good actually. But when your hands, and your tools and your life I'll be finding the proper tool long before I double wrenches..

You might think you NEED a wrench, but regardless of what you think there is always the right tool for the job. If you don't have the clearence you could use a crow-foot on a breaker bar. They even have boxed in crow-foots for the added strength.

Now before everyone flames me let me say this. I understand that most people are backyard guys, and that`s great. I think anyone who can save a buck and fix there own stuff, maybe even have a little fun doing it is great. However, like I said, and Im pretty sure this is where RICK is coming from, in the "REAL" world I wouldn't be caught dead doing that.

89s1
01-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by chadnixon
http://www.aarvid238.com/tadpui/Pictures/dead-horse.gif

;)

chadnixon
01-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Not sure where your going with that one

2EFNFAST
01-10-2010, 02:18 AM
pffft; I just prefer to extend my sockets out 3-4ft with several extensions and a block of wood :nut:

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/ext1.jpg

Ihatetowait
01-10-2010, 02:43 AM
I have a peice of pipe that came out of an old pile of trash at a construction site. It has proved more useful then all 3 of my breaker bars combined.

Sometimes the shittiest way to do it is the best.

TomcoPDR
01-10-2010, 02:49 AM
^ Don't you just weld, die-grind bolts and nuts as you please? (edit: meant for EFN, glen just posted before)

Don't really see what's wrong with Rick's post, could had just hit a nerve or something... some professionals just take their jobs seriously (which is perfect), and they just want to offer the "technically the proper way is......."

chadnixon
01-10-2010, 02:23 PM

;)

Haha ohh I get it. That looked nothing like that on my blackberry. Please forgive me for adding somthing to a topic. I wasn't aware that once you were done posting the convo was over, again, I apoligize. Perhaps I felt somewhat, obligated, to post my thoughts on this topic as a person who deals with tools day in and day out. Can I ask what you do for a living? Im sure whatever it is you take great pride in your work, and if you see someone struggling or making the wrong moves would you not help them out? Forgive me for trying to save someone a busted hand.

g-m
01-11-2010, 03:32 AM
nobody ever hits the wrench with a rubber mallet?

really who cares if its snaps oh NOES! I HAVE TO GO TO THE STORE!!!1! To get my free replacement!! F*ck I'm heartbroken.

I hit my 14mm wrench numerous times today with a rubber mallet. It broke the bolt loose and wow it didn't even break my lifetime warranty 65% off canadian tire mastercraft toolkit. At the end of the day the wheel bearing is in my girlfriends car and it took less than an hour, I'm happy. And yes I torqued the bolt correctly upon re-installation.

edit: Also, the pipe trick works wonders. I have like a 1.5m pipe that came with my floor jack that happens to fit perfectly over a socket. If it breaks? Canadian tire isn't far away and I have 2 backup cars.

The entire point of using huge leverage is that you DON'T bang up your hands. I'm a pretty little guy at 6'1 150 and I try to do all of my work using the most leverage and thinking as possible. Who cares if you break a free-to-replace tool. Not that you don't get bloody anyway. I cut hands just reaching into the Z engine bay

89s1
01-11-2010, 12:54 PM

Haha ohh I get it. That looked nothing like that on my blackberry. Please forgive me for adding somthing to a topic. I wasn't aware that once you were done posting the convo was over, again, I apoligize. Perhaps I felt somewhat, obligated, to post my thoughts on this topic as a person who deals with tools day in and day out. Can I ask what you do for a living? Im sure whatever it is you take great pride in your work, and if you see someone struggling or making the wrong moves would you not help them out? Forgive me for trying to save someone a busted hand.

You didn't add anything that hadn't already been said except for plugging your 40k spent on tools. The poster above me hit it on the head, the whole point of excess leverage is so that you don't bust your hands. Also, extending a wrench to get your hand up and away from potential knuckle busters is just another application. So, like I showed, you were beating a dead horse. You added nothing at all to the conversation that hadn't already been said.

chadnixon
01-11-2010, 01:18 PM
I get what your saying about using the extra length of the second wrench to increase the amount of work required to turn the bolt, thus decreasing the chances of busting your hands. However, what im saying is that your now using the tools for somthing they weren't designed for and it's only a matter of time before they break, and then you WILL hurt yourself.

89s1
01-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I get what your saying about using the extra length of the second wrench to increase the amount of work required to turn the bolt, thus decreasing the chances of busting your hands. However, what im saying is that your now using the tools for somthing they weren't designed for and it's only a matter of time before they break, and then you WILL hurt yourself.

I'm not sure if you just used the wrong word to describe what you are talking about of if you are actually that naive. You don't increase the amount of work required to turn the bolt, you decrease it, and thus if the tool were to fail you aren't pushing as hard, and have much less of a chance of hurting yourself. especially if it brings you up and out of harms way.

The thing you are increasing is leverage not work. Think back to science class homie.

chadnixon
01-11-2010, 01:49 PM
I just said it wrong. Your right. Less force is required when you increase length. Anyways, Im done. Your tools..your hands.

scat19
01-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Typical beyond thread.

Also the op wants clicks on his ehow to get money or however that site works. :rolleyes: