PDA

View Full Version : Landed Immigrant ???

fast95pony
11-26-2003, 02:28 AM
Today's Public Service announcement...:)

If you are a Landed Immigrant and plan on leaving Canada after 31 Dec 2003 , you will need a Permanent Resident card to return to Canada .

Here's link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pr-card/index.html

I posted this since I'm a Landed Immigrant and I only found out about this recently. I've applied for my Citizenship. (only 22 years late !! )

...and now,back to your regularly scheduled program.......

:burnout:

JAYMEZ
11-26-2003, 02:30 AM
Im landed one to , hrmm , does it count if you have Tri-Citizenship?

Melinda
11-26-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
As far as I know, the most you can hold is 2 citizenships...if you get a new one, you lose one...

link785
11-26-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
As far as I know, the most you can hold is 2 citizenships...if you get a new one, you lose one...

All depends on what the other country's policies are. If you're a Canadian citizen, you can only have citizenship to one other country. If you're a German for example, you can only hold 1 citizenship, that being German.

Melinda
11-26-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by link785

All depends on what the other country's policies are. If you're a Canadian citizen, you can only have citizenship to one other country. If you're a German for example, you can only hold 1 citizenship, that being German.
Yep I was talking about canadian citizenship, as was the topic of the thread

JAYMEZ
11-26-2003, 03:03 AM
Im brit , Canad , Kiwi

link785
11-26-2003, 03:09 AM
Im brit , Canad , Kiwi

Interesting, I guess British is an exception :)

JAYMEZ
11-26-2003, 03:11 AM
i think alot of Euro countrys are like that , i know some South American ones are, probably cuz they dont care heeh

link785
11-26-2003, 03:13 AM
i think alot of Euro countrys are like that , i know some South American ones are, probably cuz they dont care heeh

Damn Germans not allowing dual citizenships :(

WhiteNikes
11-26-2003, 04:49 AM

Interesting... My mother is currently a citizen of USA, Canada, and Jamaica.

/////AMG
11-26-2003, 08:17 AM

No I don't think so since you are a Canadian Citizen

I thought 2 was the max too, I guess not. I have Dual-Citizenship so I'm guessing if you are a Canadian Citizen this doesn't apply to you.

thich
11-26-2003, 09:58 AM
i thought commonwealth citizenships are carryover citizenships....

you can move to britain and be on their voting list last i remembered.

brit=canadian=australian(?)

hjr
11-26-2003, 10:25 AM
im not sure about voting through out the commonwealth, but it is easier to get citizenship if your currently holding a commonwealth passport (generally a sign of citizenship)

sputnik
11-26-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by link785

Damn Germans not allowing dual citizenships :(

They ended the dual citizenships due to people using them for taking advantage of the governemt funded education (in Germany your education is paid for).

Also, if you have dual citizenship with Germany you are obligated to a mandatory 9 months military service

link785
11-26-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
They ended the dual citizenships due to people using them for taking advantage of the governemt funded education (in Germany your education is paid for).

Also, if you have dual citizenship with Germany you are obligated to a mandatory 9 months military service

That's a good point actually, a lot of people would return there simply to do the free university education.

thich
11-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by hjr
im not sure about voting through out the commonwealth, but it is easier to get citizenship if your currently holding a commonwealth passport (generally a sign of citizenship)

i just searched and can't find any info about the whole voting thing.... oh wellz.

another question since we're on the whole citizenship topic:
as a citizen, how long are you allowed outside of Canada?

is it 6months maximum?

link785
11-26-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by thich
another question since we're on the whole citizenship topic:
as a citizen, how long are you allowed outside of Canada?

is it 6months maximum?

If you're a Canadian citizen traveling to another country? All depends on the other country's visitation laws.

thich
11-26-2003, 03:40 PM
dang it....... blaaaaaaaaah.
so it has nothing to do with Canadian laws then? :dunno:

link785
11-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by thich
dang it....... blaaaaaaaaah.
so it has nothing to do with Canadian laws then? :dunno:

.... No. As far as I know, there are no laws saying you can't stay over a certain period of time outside the country. If you had a dual citizenship for example, you could go live in the other country for years, and still apply for a Canadian passport.

The reason there are no laws is because just about every other country in the world has their own visitor / immigration laws, so there's no need for Canada to have it's own for it's own citizens.

Example: you can only spend 6 months in most european countries at a time, as a visitor, and you can't exceed... 8 months or something a year.

This way, Canada doesn't really need their own "living / visiting abroad" laws.

thich
11-26-2003, 03:55 PM
ooooh i c
cule

rx7girlie
11-26-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by WhiteNikes

Interesting... My mother is currently a citizen of USA, Canada, and Jamaica.

As far as I know, once you are a American Citizen, you renounce being a citizen to anyother country, so if I'm right, your mother can't be Canadian and Jamaican if she holds US Citizenship

that's as much as I know... correct me if it's wrong:dunno:

cocoabrova
11-27-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by rx7girlie

As far as I know, once you are a American Citizen, you renounce being a citizen to anyother country, so if I'm right, your mother can't be Canadian and Jamaican if she holds US Citizenship

that's as much as I know... correct me if it's wrong:dunno:
I was born in Canada, but I'm also a US citizen;)

thich
11-27-2003, 01:27 AM
you're allowed to be canadian and american... american citizenship is dual; so you can definitely have two.
i know lotsa ppl who have dual citizenship.

as for the Jamaican citizenship it's a commonwealth country so rules can differ.
although Canada may not recognize Jamaican citizenship, mebbe Jamaica recognizes Canadian citizenship? :dunno:

WhiteNikes
11-27-2003, 05:18 AM
T'be completely honest I don't know the details, but I do rember her telling me this for sure. On top of that... I don't really think it'd bother my mother too much if it were 100% legal, if it could be done and she could gain something from it. She's pretty good at finding loopholes in things like that.

rx7girlie
11-27-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova

I was born in Canada, but I'm also a US citizen;)

OK, this is what I read:

Oath of Allegiance

To become a citizen, one must take the oath of allegiance. By doing so, an applicant swears to:

· support the Constitution and obey the laws of the U.S.;

· renounce any foreign allegiance and/or foreign title; and

· bear arms for the Armed Forces of the U.S. or perform services for the government of the U.S. when required.

and.....

"Sometimes a country may seek to restrict dual citizenship by requiring one of its citizens born with some other citizenship to renounce (give up) the other citizenship upon reaching adulthood. Newly naturalized citizens may similarly be required to renounce their previous citizenship(s); the US has such a requirement, for example, but Canada does not"

Maybe I am misinterpreting this??

referenced off of US VISA.COM (http://www.usvisa.com/information1.htm)

rx7girlie
11-27-2003, 12:09 PM
and personally I have the Canadian Citizenship and being born in Guatemala, have Guatemalan Citizenship. I want to get the Nicaraguan one too since I visit often and both my parents have it/born there

thich
11-27-2003, 01:08 PM
naturalized is different from being citizen by birth is it not?
in poli sci, there's a specific term that differentiate citizen by birth and citizen by law... any poli sci ppl wanna chime in here?

i know a good number of ppl who hold dual citizenships tho

rx7girlie
11-27-2003, 04:00 PM
naturalization is different than being a citizen by birth, I was just using that single point to show how dicey the whole Citizen rules per country are.

voodoo
11-27-2003, 04:45 PM
i picked up my card today.

p.s. i have a british citizennship (im scottish)

nickyh
11-27-2003, 06:07 PM
Can these cards be picked up at the building DT? Or do you have to go somewhere else.

British (naturalized)/South African by birth...... add CDN to that, one great mut!

JAYMEZ
11-28-2003, 12:50 AM
did you guys get your new british passports yet? I heard they are putting some kind of chip system in?

04blackMAX
11-28-2003, 12:54 AM
nice about time canada made their immagration laws a lil more strict

-250-
11-30-2003, 11:14 PM
Im a landed immigrant, I have dual, British and Candian!

3g4me
12-02-2003, 05:37 PM
All you immigrants should go home.

3g4me
12-02-2003, 05:37 PM
Just kidding, bet i got a rise out of some of you. Dont worry im an immigrant too. Czech

Toma
12-03-2003, 06:45 PM
LOL. yeah, but EVERYONE in canada is here because of landed immigrants ;)... well except for the native peoples...

DeSi
12-08-2003, 07:01 PM
its only for permanent residents, and it was issued like almost six months ago. not that hard to get, just fill in the standard form and send your passport pic to the government.