PDA

View Full Version : need a quick easy guide to losing weight

black13
01-10-2010, 04:22 PM
so its a new stage in my life, I finally got motivation to lose weight. Currently at 210lb, I have decent muscle but I want to slim down to Medium size clothing.

I'm too lazy to read all over the internet and research about what to eat and what to do. There is just so much info and I don't know where to start.

Just want a simple plan to slim down without losing all of my muscle in the process.

And don't have gym membership, do I need one or can I just rely on a good diet instead?

thanks for any help.

wintonyk
01-10-2010, 04:25 PM
its a combination of both. Diet and exercise are the key. As for quick and easy. You can bust ass and work hard, and get where you want. But if you don't make those lifestyle changes permanent you will just get back to where you started.

Get to the gym, drop mcdonalds and all that shit from your life.

Super_Geo
01-10-2010, 04:32 PM
If you don't have the motivation to spend at least an afternoon scouring the net to come up with the workout and diet plan that you'll be spending countless hours maintaining for the next couple of months, then I'm going to guess you won't have to motivation to stick to what some Internet stranger tells you...

cjay^
01-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Losing weight is really quite simple. 1lb of fat is equal to roughly 3200 calories. Find out your recommended daily intake for maintaining your current weight and either go under that number by the use of exercise, diet or a combination of both (combination of both for fastest results).

If your recommended daily intake is say 2800 calories, if you go under that by 400 calories per day, every day of the week, you would lose roughly 3.5lbs of fat per month. Keep in mind though if you add strength training your body weight might not change, but your body fat % would still be going down. Also, as you lose more weight, your body will require less calories for maintenance, so your recommended intake may become 2600 within a few months, forcing you to drop to 2200 calories per day to keep losing the same amount of fat.

As far as what you should be doing for exercise, I would recommend a simple routine of maybe half and hour of strength training (to help get you some tone) followed by a half hour of cardio. The type of cardio doesn't matter too much, but I like the ellipitcal the most because I found I could burn around 450 calories in 45 minutes or so.

Jeremiah
01-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
If you don't have the motivation to spend at least an afternoon scouring the net to come up with the workout and diet plan that you'll be spending countless hours maintaining for the next couple of months, then I'm going to guess you won't have to motivation to stick to what some Internet stranger tells you...

:werd:

Everyone's bodies are different, if you want a diet plan made specifically for you, you should either talk to your physician or talk to a personal trainer...

max_boost
01-10-2010, 05:21 PM
OP. What do you consider easy?

This site is dynamite. Will answer all your questions. I'll point you in the right direction but the least you can do is learn and ask more questions later. http://stronglifts.com

Simply put, you have to eat less, eat healthier, do a bit of cardio and lift some weights. In terms of losing weight, like cjay said, it's a numbers game. If you put the fork down, you'll lose weight. If you want to get stronger, you have to lift weights. If you want to be fit, you have to go run.

A790
01-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by cjay^
Losing weight is really quite simple. 1lb of fat is equal to roughly 3200 calories. Find out your recommended daily intake for maintaining your current weight and either go under that number by the use of exercise, diet or a combination of both (combination of both for fastest results).

If your recommended daily intake is say 2800 calories, if you go under that by 400 calories per day, every day of the week, you would lose roughly 3.5lbs of fat per month. Keep in mind though if you add strength training your body weight might not change, but your body fat % would still be going down. Also, as you lose more weight, your body will require less calories for maintenance, so your recommended intake may become 2600 within a few months, forcing you to drop to 2200 calories per day to keep losing the same amount of fat.

As far as what you should be doing for exercise, I would recommend a simple routine of maybe half and hour of strength training (to help get you some tone) followed by a half hour of cardio. The type of cardio doesn't matter too much, but I like the ellipitcal the most because I found I could burn around 450 calories in 45 minutes or so.
Pretty much introduced the hammer to the head of the nail here :)

1 comment: I burn 450 calories in 25 minutes on a treadmill. The type of machine doesn't matter much, it's all about intensity.

black13
01-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

I've spent more than a few hours this weekend looking at different websites and I still don't feel like I know anything.
There is just too much info and some contradicting ones. Your right though, I need to look more into this. But once I see some minor results I think I'll really dig into it.

Originally posted by cjay^

This is almost exactly what I was looking for. But having read a few places, they all made it more complicated than that.

Originally posted by max_boost
OP. What do you consider easy?

This site is dynamite. Will answer all your questions. I'll point you in the right direction but the least you can do is learn and ask more questions later. http://stronglifts.com

Simply put, you have to eat less, eat healthier, do a bit of cardio and lift some weights. In terms of losing weight, like cjay said, it's a numbers game. If you put the fork down, you'll lose weight. If you want to get stronger, you have to lift weights. If you want to be fit, you have to go run.
Simple as in what exactly should I be eating everyday to speed up the fat loss and maintain the muscle. How much protein? How much fiber? would it be good if I only eat fish for meat?

Here's my plan so far...how does it look?
Wake up: eat high fiber cereal, maybe Vector or something with skim milk/Tea
Apple/fruite for brunch
sometype of fish sandwich for lunch, eaten in two settings with hour or so apart
and some fruity/salad stuff later in the day.
Drinking mostly water with glass of OJ somewhere between.
With about 1 hour walk/run on the way home.
Is there enough nutrients and protein in this to make it or should I add shakes or anything else?

revelations
01-10-2010, 06:21 PM
^ as far as food goes, if you stay active you have to eat when youre hungry. So if that comes up, a shake might not be a bad idea.

As far as workouts, I just started doing the Spartacus workout.

After going to gyms for 10+ years - simply moving weights around - it was a very humbling experience to hurt so much the next day - all over.

It will make you lose weight and keep your muscle at the same time - even strengthen those you didnt know you had!

I used 20lb dumbells and for some of the moves, that was way too much weight.

Grogador
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
you have to go run.

Don't run if you enjoy having knees. Go biking!

SeekerFor
01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Take control of the habit.
First what purpose does the weight serve?

Sweat either by bundling up and walking or on a machine like the elliptical. The main thing is to sweat.

If you know what purpose the weight serves or served then you will have the core answer.

Visualize the end result of how you want to look and feel when your done and how your going to look and feel if you continue on the path your on.

If you have a heart attack then you'll wish you had taken control but by then it may be too late as you'll have trouble tying your shoes.

If you see what can happen it may be the driving force you need.
There is a quote "If discipline is not applied from within; it shall be applied from without!"

Good luck!

max_boost
01-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by black13

I've spent more than a few hours this weekend looking at different websites and I still don't feel like I know anything.
There is just too much info and some contradicting ones. Your right though, I need to look more into this. But once I see some minor results I think I'll really dig into it.

This is almost exactly what I was looking for. But having read a few places, they all made it more complicated than that.

Simple as in what exactly should I be eating everyday to speed up the fat loss and maintain the muscle. How much protein? How much fiber? would it be good if I only eat fish for meat?

Here's my plan so far...how does it look?
Wake up: eat high fiber cereal, maybe Vector or something with skim milk/Tea
Apple/fruite for brunch
sometype of fish sandwich for lunch, eaten in two settings with hour or so apart
and some fruity/salad stuff later in the day.
Drinking mostly water with glass of OJ somewhere between.
With about 1 hour walk/run on the way home.
Is there enough nutrients and protein in this to make it or should I add shakes or anything else?

8 Nutrition Rules
http://stronglifts.com/nutrition-101-definite-beginner-guide-healthy-nutrition/

Fat loss 101
http://stronglifts.com/fat-loss-101-how-to-lose-fat-fast-with-free-fat-loss-diets/

How to lose fat with cardio
http://stronglifts.com/cardio-fat-loss-hiit-vs-long-duratio-cardio/

How to lose your belly fat
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-lose-belly-fat-fast-naturally/

Why healthy nutrition
http://stronglifts.com/why-healthy-nutrition-is-important-and-why-not/

How many calories per day
http://stronglifts.com/how-many-calories-do-you-need-to-eat-per-day/

How much protein per day
http://stronglifts.com/protein-daily-needs-myths-best-sources-protein/

Read and Learn!

max_boost
01-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Grogador

Don't run if you enjoy having knees. Go biking!

haha yeah personally I don't run either but for those who hate cardio, buy a cheap pos bike, plant it in front of the tv and go do some pedaling for 30 mins. No excuses!

Jeremiah
01-11-2010, 12:29 PM
http://lowcarblisa.tripod.com/id18.html

Follow this exactly and you will get great results

GQBalla
01-11-2010, 12:41 PM
currently im not eating carbs after i get off work, so 4:30 pm.

been like this for a week and ive already lost 5 pounds and im lookin a lot slimmer.

str at the gym is still the same but i have noticed it takes a little longer for me to get into the rhythm of lifting.

wintonyk
01-11-2010, 05:22 PM
try a higher fibre cereal than Vector. There is only 2.7 in a bowl. Compared to the 14g in Fibre 1 Honey Clusters or even the 5 of Natures Path Flax plus (which tastes awesome). It will fill you up longer and you body can use the energy you do consume more efficiently.

Like GQ said cutting the carbs in the evening will certainly help. If you do consume any carbs in evening should be in form or berries or kiwi.

Another thing to tweak your satiety cues. Each vegetables eat tonnes of em. Like 6 cups at least. And if its greens 1 cup of greens = 1/2 cup of vegetables (not nearly as dense). The Vitamins and Minerals you get from those will help your body use the energy more efficiently. Will a multi do the same thing? I have read mixed things on this but generally follow the principle of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts". And use a multi as a back up rather than a main source.

Abeo
01-11-2010, 07:38 PM
About this time last year, I got fed up and wanted to lose weight... I was already going to the gym, eating well, and stronger than I had ever been, but with the muscle came fat. I dropped 'bad' (refined and simple) carbs, relying mostly on yams and wild rice for carbs. I lost 20 lbs in 2 months, and kept it off. I found that I could swing weights and jog all I wanted, but as long as I kept eating I'd never lose weight... keep that in mind.

black13
01-11-2010, 09:09 PM
I saved all of this info to read late and will try incorporating it all. Thanks a ton guys.

the_game22
01-12-2010, 01:30 PM
If you are looking for an exact eating plan to follow then google "mens health belly off club" It will give you an 8 week diet. But there are probably better ways. I am looking into losing weight myself and came across this on the internet.

GQBalla
01-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk

Like GQ said cutting the carbs in the evening will certainly help. If you do consume any carbs in evening should be in form or berries or kiwi.

believe me when i say its freaking hard to not eat or have any carbs in the evening.

its just so hard when you go and see your family or friends or you have rice in the fridge.

LOL

its so sad noodles and rice are the death of me

Rstar
01-12-2010, 02:06 PM
This is quick, easy, and even guaranteed

www.herbalmagic.com

Tik-Tok
01-12-2010, 02:07 PM

haha yeah personally I don't run either but for those who hate cardio, buy a cheap pos bike, plant it in front of the tv and go do some pedaling for 30 mins. No excuses!

This is the best advice. Otherwise you'll get bored as hell on any home cardio equipment.

Personally I have dedicated tv shows that I watch on Ninja, and only watch them while doing cardio, that way I kind of look forward to it (not that I've been on my bike in about 3 months, lol)

Shlade
01-12-2010, 02:18 PM
lower portioned meals, very high intensity cardio workouts! leg workouts! your golden! watch what you eat tho! only drink water! no carbonated crap! and dont eat sugar! ur golden then!

urban_chic
01-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Work with a personal trainer. It is seriously the BEST MONEY i have ever spent in my life, of course next to tuition fees. I know one who is REALLY good and helped me lose 22 lbs.

pinoyhero
01-13-2010, 08:17 AM
p90x and follow the paleo diet, can't get any easier than that, no gym pass needed

Criticull
01-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
lower portioned meals, very high intensity cardio workouts! leg workouts! your golden! watch what you eat tho! only drink water! no carbonated crap! and dont eat sugar! ur golden then!

Why nothing carbonated? Everybody enjoys the old soda water.