PDA

View Full Version : Pacquiao vs. Clottey

gam0s
01-10-2010, 05:56 PM
So, it looks like the biggest fight in history isn't going to happen. Cowboy stadium is going to host Manny and Joshua on March 13th.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=4813862

greeeeeeeeeat, not worth flying in to watch.. ...

403ep3
01-11-2010, 01:58 AM
I will probably watch this on the net. After getting excited to see a legend vs legend fight, this one doesn't seem that great.. who knows though?

jose_01
01-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Probably watching this at a bar. Still interested in the fight as a fan, but don't think I will be ppv'ing this one. Should be interesting - venue wise - as there hasn't been a high profile stadium fight in a while.

*Edit

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4813627&name=rafael_dan

Undercard and Co-feature speculation on ESPN has already begun. Would be interesting if Margarito made his comeback on the co-feature for this fight. Could bring in some extra viewer revenue as he does have quite a following: despite his recent cheating.

aypi
01-11-2010, 05:49 PM
:zzz:

Jlude
01-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
I will probably watch this on the net. After getting excited to see a legend vs legend fight, this one doesn't seem that great.. who knows though?

This.

gam0s
01-11-2010, 06:44 PM
its depressing how it fell down to. if anything HBO should stop hosting mayweathers fights. mayweather can take his prettyself to europe and fight amateurs... eh life goes on. pacquiao is still the best. haha

PGTze
01-11-2010, 07:00 PM
So dumb, classic boxing move these days...

Joel_D
01-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3

Actually this will be another exciting fight. Much like the first few rounds of Pac/cotto fight.

Cotto beat Clottey by decision last year, but only because clottey got lazy in the last 2 rounds. He's by far more dangerous opponent then Paulie Maglianni for pacquiao or that piss drinking marquez.

I just hope this fight takes place at 147 and none of this catch weight bullshit. :banghead:

spankingmonkey
01-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Joel_D is right

This fight Clottey vs Pacquiao would be more interesting.

I have to admit I too wanted to see the Mayweather Vs Pacquiao fight because Flyod talks to much shit and I wanted Pacquiao to reconfigure his face for him.

Not worth flying in to watch but it's good enough for me to buy this for PPV.

Besides, Mayweather Jr fights are boring in general...

JordanEG6
01-21-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't care how exciting this match may be, I was waiting for the more epic fight in history. What a let down.

I'll still see it, but in utter disappointment lol

urban_chic
01-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Cant wait!!! less than 2 months to go!

[GaGe]
01-31-2010, 02:49 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2010/01/30/sp-mayweather-mosley.html

Mayweather's fighting Mosley now on May 1.

Joel_D
02-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Where, oh where, is Floyd's signature? :banghead:

I hope Floyd is just seeking attention and not ducking this fight.

Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, is usually a calm, cool and collected sort. The former Swiss banker doesn't get rattled easily.

Tuesday morning, however, he sounded rattled, expressing concern about why Floyd Mayweather Jr. has not signed his contract to face welterweight champ Shane Mosley on May 1 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, in as big of a fight as there is in the sport.

It has been five days since both sides acknowledged an agreement on terms.

Mosley, of course, put pen to paper on Friday in Las Vegas, where his attorney, Judd Burstein, went through the paperwork with him point by point.

"He is excited to move forward with the bout," Burstein told me at the time.

Burstein also added that he had been assured by Leonard Ellerbe, one of Mayweather's advisers, that there were no problems on their side.

"I confirmed with Leonard that there are no issues," Burstein said.

Ellerbe's quote to me for the story I wrote Friday was, "All of the deal points have been agreed to. We still have to put pen to paper, but everything is agreed to."

Yet five days later, Schaefer still does not have a signed agreement from Mayweather. He was clearly at wit's end when he called me about it Tuesday morning.

"He still hasn't signed. I am so frustrated," Schaefer said. "I wanted both guys to go down to the Super Bowl in Miami to do some promotional stuff. I don't know what Floyd is waiting for. I have no clue. I have a signed contract from Shane on my desk. I have nothing from Floyd."

Schaefer said he is in constant touch with Ellerbe and Al Haymon, Mayweather's other adviser, and when he asks them where the paperwork is, the response is always the same: "Every day, it's the next day. They say, 'Don't worry, it's going to come.' Well, where is it? I'm waiting for the signature before we can move on."

Now May 1 is still a ways off, but for a megafight the magnitude of Mosley-Mayweather, kicking it off with promotional appearances at the Super Bowl is significant. When Mayweather and Oscar De La Hoya met in May 2007, their media rounds at the Super Bowl generated enormous interest in the fight, which went on to set the all-time pay-per-view record.

Schaefer wants to follow the same blueprint. He said Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr., who will meet April 3 in a pay-per-view rematch that Golden Boy is co-promoting, will be in Miami to help drum up interest in their fight, so he can't understand why Mayweather is MIA.

So I asked Schaefer if he was concerned that the Mosley-Mayweather fight might be in trouble?

His answer was simply, "Yes."

I asked him if he would elaborate.

"At this point, I don't know," he said. "We want to do some big PR, so this is frustrating. I read Leonard's quotes that it was agreed to and that it was just a matter of time to get it signed, but if it's all done, why isn't it signed?"

Schaefer has been down this road with Mayweather before, perhaps one of the reasons for his concern. He negotiated a fall 2008 rematch between Mayweather and De La Hoya, which also had been agreed to and was on the verge of being announced. However, Mayweather never signed the paperwork and instead announced his retirement, which lasted 18 months.

"I am not having flashbacks to anything, but [the Mosley fight] is still not signed," Schaefer said. "I don't know what it means. Obviously, we can't move forward with the promotion, including some important activities that were planned for this coming weekend, unless we have a signed deal."

Before negotiating with Mosley, Mayweather was close to a deal to face Manny Pacquiao on March 13 in what would have been, by far, the sport's biggest fight. But that fight fell apart shortly before what was supposed to have been a kickoff news conference in early January. The reason was because the fighters couldn't reach a compromise on drug-testing protocol. Mayweather insisted on testing that went far beyond the rules of the Nevada State Athletic Commission. While Pacquiao accepted some additional testing, he refused random blood testing.

Both fighters moved on. Pacquiao quickly made a deal to defend his welterweight belt against Joshua Clottey on March 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Mayweather and Mosley began their talks after Mosley's Jan. 30 unification fight with Andre Berto was canceled.

So while Pacquiao wrapped up his deal with Clottey in about two seconds and Mosley signed on the dotted line in pretty short order, we all continue to wait for Mayweather's John Hancock yet again, including Schaefer.

"I always tell you, a signed deal is a done deal," Schaefer said. "It will only be done when Floyd signs, and that hasn't happened yet. I don't know of any deal terms that are not agreed to. I don't understand it."
Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4880645&name=rafael_dan

Weapon_R
02-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Mayweather is the biggest coward in the sport.

On the other hand, after seeing what Cotto did to Clottey, I'm not as excited as I was about this fight. Pacquaio shouldn't have too much trouble with him.

Joel_D
02-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Mayweather is the biggest coward in the sport.

On the other hand, after seeing what Cotto did to Clottey, I'm not as excited as I was about this fight. Pacquaio shouldn't have too much trouble with him.

With the recent events, i'll have too agree.

I don't expect Clottey to be fighting at 100% due to the distractions/issues with his trainer and managers being denied US Visa.

Clottey will trying to survive each round, hoping he doesn't get knocked out.

Edited: Finally Signed: Mayweather vs Mosley

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4884208