PDA

View Full Version : Apprenticeship Cancelation

megafandrew
01-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Ive posted before on the situation I had. I am a 2nd year millwright apprentice working at Finning Cat as a labourer. I just recieved a letter in the mail today that stated I had been out of the trade for a year now and therefore my apprenticeship was canceled.

I am pretty sure Im going for HD mechanic as its looking better here in Fort McMurray. However I just have a few questions on this as its really bugging me (I was pretty sure I wanted to be a millwright)

Is it really a year out of the trade and the contract is canceled for the time being? Also I re-wrote the 2nd year test in October but did not pass, does that count for anything against lengthening the time I can be out of the trade? This pissed me off tonight lol as I did not epect it!

With the cancelation do I lose all my hours and schooling if I ever re-enter the trade or can they be credited back?

With re-entering the trade do I need to apply for 1st year jobs or can I still apply for 2nd year positions (obviously its fully up to the employer) but I do have a combined 2 1/2 years in machinist/millwright apprentice work (I started in machining)

:banghead:

Nigel Mansell
01-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Phone Alberta Apprenticeship and find out. Dale Kent used to be the guy in Calgary, I believe he's retired now.

Phone them up, plead your case and I'm sure they'll reinstate you.

Sophal
01-10-2010, 10:53 PM
you keep all your stuff as long as it's been documented. if you have your trade cancelled off on you it can be reactivated anytime once you re-enter the trade.

autosm
01-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Make sure you record book hours are updated before the 30 days are up and you will not loose them. Your marks and courses you passed will not expire.

If you want to restart your Milwright apprenticeship all you have to do is get a new employer to sign you up with a new contract. Even after you do a HET apprenticeship.

cancer man
01-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Sorry man but if you can't pass the second year test stay out of the trade....3 rd year will make you cry//God i hate'd hydraulics.

megafandrew
01-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by cancer man
Sorry man but if you can't pass the second year test stay out of the trade....3 rd year will make you cry//God i hate'd hydraulics.

Well I passed the schooling well, I had a tough time in school because of outter problems and barely failed the test. I waited a year to re-write (stupidly) and wrote on demand from the board so I studied mabey a day and got the same mark. Trust me I did machining school and did well, millwright schoolis not eactly rocket science I am not an idiot either lol and yeah I should have passed first time around but wasnt focused. I plan anyhow to go in to the board on wednesday and see what I can do, as well as a written request letter you can do within 30 days.