PDA

View Full Version : LF: Hardwood Repair Person

Czar
01-11-2010, 06:35 AM
We moved into our new house, and the first day I dragged a box across the floor which resulted in a scratch that runs the length of our house :(

Anyways, I guess I'm looking for someone to remove (or repair) the damaged boards.

Thanks!

black_2.5RS
01-12-2010, 12:34 AM
It's actually not too difficult to do it if you want to try yourself. To do it, you need 3 things:
1) A saw
2) A rubber mallet
3) A screw driver

Start by cutting two vertical lines the length of the wood board then cut a diagonal line connectin the two lines you cut before (make an "N" shape). Use the screw driver to wedge up the pieces of the board you just cut.
Cut the new replacement board to size and use a rubber mallet to tap it in.

If you're not comfortable doing this, call Divine Flooring

Isaiah
01-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Where does he get the new board? I think he's looking to have the scratch buffed out.

cancer man
01-12-2010, 03:29 AM
Depending on how deep and how thick the wood is sanding is the way to go
Shoot a pm for a quote.Any pics?

Czar
01-12-2010, 07:54 AM
The house is brand new, so I'm pretty sure I can get some boxes of additional hardwood.

What's better sanding or replacing? My wife (who's mad enough btw) would be even more mad if fixing it caused alot of dust.

I'll try tonight to get a good picture. It's a little hard, since you can't see it if it look at it from 90 degrees.

The scratch is probably about 30ft long (yes, I'm dumb :( ), so I don't think I can handle that myself..

Czar
01-12-2010, 10:17 PM
It's a little bit hard to make out, but you should be able to see it.

There's approx. 90 boards that need to be replaced.

Suggestions on a good contracter would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!

eblend
01-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Dude, that is not even worth repairing looking at your picture, sooner or later you will get kinks like that all over the place

topmade
01-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Do not replace those boards. If someone can sand them down and refinish them, that'll be your best bet. Replaced boards are glued down and will never have the strength of a solid installed floor and can warp easier. You'd only replace boards if they were badly damaged from water or something, but never for something like that.

Edit for post below

They are quoting $2k because they don't want to do it. Screwing 1 or 2 boards in from the basement is fine, not 90. Your $2k quote will probably double if can even find a company to do that for you. I'm not sure if you understand how hardwood flooring is installed, but I can guarantee you'll get cracking all over the place and boards coming loose over time if you replace that many boards and your wife will be even more pissed.

Czar
01-13-2010, 05:37 PM
If you look at it at the proper angle, it runs about 30 or 40 feet across a hallway, kitchen and dining room. :(

I got a quote for about $2000. Is that reasonable for a job like this?

I asked about sanding, and they said they would need to sand down the entire floor (not just the scratched areas).

Is there a way that they can nail it from underneath (ie, the basement)?

eblend
01-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Paying $2k for a scratch is silly, as you will find out, the longer you live the more and more dings you will get. I got many dings on my hardwood, don't even notice them unless you are paying attention. Furnish the place to get some accent, and noone will pay attention to your scratch. I wouldn't pay 2k for fixing a silly dent, but thats just me, at the end of the day it is your house so do whatever you want. I have hardwood and really, at some point you just have to accept that it will never be perfect like it was originally.

autosm
01-13-2010, 07:19 PM
^ word its the first of many. For 2k you might be able to have the whole floor refinished later after many more scratches?

http://www.askthebuilder.com/334_Restoring_Hardwood_Floors_-_Try_No-Dust_Chemical_Method.shtml

project240
01-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Paying $2k for a scratch is silly, as you will find out, the longer you live the more and more dings you will get. I got many dings on my hardwood, don't even notice them unless you are paying attention. Furnish the place to get some accent, and noone will pay attention to your scratch. I wouldn't pay 2k for fixing a silly dent, but thats just me, at the end of the day it is your house so do whatever you want. I have hardwood and really, at some point you just have to accept that it will never be perfect like it was originally.

Completely agree. I was expecting to see a significant scrape, what you have is pretty insignificant.

Over time you'll have small scratches throughout, it's pretty normal, unless you are extremely careful.

I wouldn't pay to have that fixed now, unless you're willing to pay the same amount every single time you find a scratch.

turbotrip
01-13-2010, 08:43 PM
i did the same thing in one of our new houses; but ended up learning to live with it when i saw the quote to fix it lol

sputnik
01-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by topmade
Do not replace those boards. If someone can sand them down and refinish them, that'll be your best bet. Replaced boards are glued down and will never have the strength of a solid installed floor and can warp easier.

Replacement boards usually don't match as well and you will always be able to see the boards that we replaced.

Mazstyle
01-14-2010, 10:56 AM
2 words - Stain Pen.

Czar
01-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Again, the scratch is 30 - 40 ft long, and on new hardwood. Matching the hardwood shouldn't be an issue, since it's new. But, I think it's a little long for a stain pen.

Yes, I know that it'll eventually get scratches and dents, etc, but I doubt it will ever get another 30+ feet dent.

In the proper light, it looks like someone took a white marker and drew a line from my dining room, into my kitched, down my hallway and into my office. And not a pretty line either.

I'm not sure that I'm being overly sensitive here. It's kinda like I got keyed. Not just on one door, but right around the whole perimeter of the car. I'm sure some of you would get that fixed?

Saying all that, I'm still debating whether to do this. We were planning on buying a new TV :)

Oz-
01-14-2010, 07:09 PM
If you have dogs, they will mess up your hardwood in a few months that the scratch will blend right in. If you plan on having kids they will mess up your hardwood in 18-24 months as well.

Czar
01-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Geez.... how big are your dogs that they can make a 30 foot scratch?

lilmira
01-14-2010, 08:16 PM
It looks like an eye sore that you have to live with unless money isn't an issue.

Can you use an area rug to cover part of it if not all?

cancer man
01-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Pay to get it repaired....
Happy Wife Happy Life.:love: