PDA

View Full Version : Credit Check for Employment

TDFTW
01-11-2010, 12:13 PM
I just had an interview that I feel I did very good on and now I'm wondering about one of their prerequisites.

They require a credit check be done on an individual to ensure they have no outstanding debt or bankruptcies (which I don't) in order to determine if they will become employed or not.

While this wont affect me getting the position in any way, I'm just wondering about legalities of this. Isn't it discrimination to base employment dependant upon somebodies credit history?

The interviewers stated that people with outstanding debts, previous bankruptcies are more liable to take product from the business and resell it (basically stealing).

Again I'm just wondering about this, I've never been asked for a credit check for employment or even heard of it?

JfuckinC
01-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Also, getting multiple credit checks can harm your score AFAIK? That's kinda lame.

GQBalla
01-11-2010, 12:15 PM
seems reasonable.

ive heard of a few places doin credit checks.

jjmac
01-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Did you apply at a bank?

That's standard for bank positions or I guess in any financial institutions.

TDFTW
01-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by jjmac
Did you apply at a bank?

That's standard for bank positions or I guess in any financial institutions. Nope. Position involves electronics and repairing them.

scat19
01-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
Also, getting multiple credit checks can harm your score AFAIK? That's kinda lame.

Depends on which kind. Soft and hard (oh yeah ;)).

Soft doesn't affect your score, where as a hard check will dock you 5 points AFAIK.

jjmac
01-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Hmm...

I'm sure they have their reasons. But like I said, they only time I had credit checks was when I worked for TD and when I work for an insurance company.

BlackArcher101
01-11-2010, 10:55 PM
It's not discrimination if they hold everyone to the same guidelines. It's a good way for a company to see how you handle your personal "business". One constantly missing payments is either making/made bad choices or can't handle things. (Some companies see it this way, NOT ME).

snoop101
01-12-2010, 12:30 PM
For that position I think its dumb. There is a lot of people who have messed up credit not because of something they did. companies make mistakes and it takes a while to get them off the credit report (actually happened to me). I know a woman who got married and her husband screwed up there credit then she got a divorce and now she cant by a condo.

another words it shouldent effect the outcome if you get the job or not. It could be a small %, but I think only in cases like jobs at a Bank or even the police service/armed forces (which I know do this).

Though i think the forces do it so that you clear everything up before you leave on training so it doesent effect your training or work.

revelations
01-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Another option would be for you to pull the credit yourself - and present it to them - or any other employer who asks.

That way it will be a soft check - and wont affect your score.

I do it annually, costs about $30 for the online version, or free which takes about 6 weeks to come in the mail.

Now both you and your employer know whats going on - instead of just the employer.

Masked Bandit
01-12-2010, 01:41 PM
I can't say this is a big surprise. I think we'll see more and more of this as time goes on. People should be taking their credit ratings very seriously as it can take many years to repair bad credit.

Tik-Tok
01-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Just wait until DNA tests become cheap to do... Gattaca here we come :nut: