PDA

View Full Version : Welding Apprenticeship Questions

Hamann
01-11-2010, 01:58 PM
So basically I've hit that point in my life where I need to find a career and not just a job.

I was working for a General Contracting firm here in town but that turned into "Apprenticing" Steel stud and dryall for most of the time (better profit margin to do it in house). While it payed the bills very nicely I quickly realised there really isn't much of a future in it and its not what I want to do for the rest of my life.

So after doing some research and talking to some people in different trades I've decided I want to look into welding more seriously.

My problem has come with getting into the trade, from what I can find, to get a job as a 1st year apprentice you need to be considered a 1st period apprentice (this is what all the job postings have listed under required qualifications).

But to become a 1st period apprentice, which to my knowledge is just a couple month course at SAIT. You need to be currently employed with a company that will register you as an apprentice...

So the whole thing seems to be a run-around, to get the job you need the schooling, but to get the schooling you need the job... :dunno:

Any advice/insights would be greatly appreciated :)

Nigel Mansell
01-11-2010, 08:03 PM
You will be a first year apprentice the day you begin work, not after you get out of first year school.

You need to find a welding company willing to take you on as a starter. They then must indenture you (sign you up with the apprenticeship board). You then must go to school three years in a row.

everything you need to know is on this website:

www.tradesecrets.org

good luck! my advice: don't be a welder, pick another trade, but it is up to you.

sr20s14zenki
01-11-2010, 08:08 PM
^^^ Im a welder and i love my job. BUT, i dont just call myself a welder. Im a fabricator....anybody can pick up a welder and make a bead, but it takes more brains to look at a drawing and then build it. Hes pretty much right tho about how it works. Most shops however wont indenture you for atleast 3-6 months, reason being is they want to see if you are worth it. I had to wait 6 months personally, i have seen others wait even more. HOWEVER the good thing is that your hours can be retro back to when you started if they choose to. I would give you an interview, but we are coming to the end of a project and may already have to lay one of my guys off.

I have a passion for welding and welding technology, anything to do with fusing metal, im there. Its a passion of mine, that kind of intertwines with my automotive passion.

If you work doing something you have a passion for, you will never hate your job.

Nigel Mansell
01-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Just to warn you, although it is common practice to make people wait six or more months before indenturing them, it is highly illegal. read more at the province's official website, www.tradesecrets.org. If you get on with a company, demand that they indenture you after a month, which is more than enough time to determine if you are any good. It doesn't cost them a cent to sign you up and they'll act like they're doing you a big fat favour for no reason at all. Report them to the apprenticeship board if they refuse to indenture you.

sr20s14zenki
01-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Nigel Mansell
Just to warn you, although it is common practice to make people wait six or more months before indenturing them, it is highly illegal. read more at the province's official website, www.tradesecrets.org. If you get on with a company, demand that they indenture you after a month, which is more than enough time to determine if you are any good. It doesn't cost them a cent to sign you up and they'll act like they're doing you a big fat favour for no reason at all. Report them to the apprenticeship board if they refuse to indenture you.

Actually i think 3 months is pretty acceptable, as its the standard probationary period in any workplace. If you are at a job, they can fire you before 3 months for absolutely no reason at all, they dont have to give you pay lieu or give you notice. Therefore, i would assume most places would want you to work as a labourer for just that long. It is true, that there are only two people allowed to weld commercially (technically) and that is welders, and apprentices. But what about CWB shops such as mine? CWB RECCOMENDS that you be an apprentice, but doesnt require it. I have 5 cwb tickets under my belt, and im not even journeyman (yet, i am challenging my third year in febuary). My boss, and the owner of my shop, isnt a journeyman, he has every cwb ticket in the book however, and since we are cwb certified, we work under that standard.

im just trying to show the guy what to expect REALISTICALLY. Ive never known a shop that will sign you up after 1 month, and im sure they are just shaking in their boots about "the law"

Nigel Mansell
01-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

Actually i think 3 months is pretty acceptable, as its the standard probationary period in any workplace. If you are at a job, they can fire you before 3 months for absolutely no reason at all, they dont have to give you pay lieu or give you notice. Therefore, i would assume most places would want you to work as a labourer for just that long. It is true, that there are only two people allowed to weld commercially (technically) and that is welders, and apprentices. But what about CWB shops such as mine? CWB RECCOMENDS that you be an apprentice, but doesnt require it. I have 5 cwb tickets under my belt, and im not even journeyman (yet, i am challenging my third year in febuary). My boss, and the owner of my shop, isnt a journeyman, he has every cwb ticket in the book however, and since we are cwb certified, we work under that standard.

im just trying to show the guy what to expect REALISTICALLY. Ive never known a shop that will sign you up after 1 month, and im sure they are just shaking in their boots about "the law"

What welding shop do you work for? I'd love to forward this to Alberta Apprenticeship and have them investigate your apprenticeship policy. If you're really not shaking in your boots, go ahead and post the company's name.

sr20s14zenki
01-11-2010, 10:07 PM
:facepalm:

I am an apprentice still myself, and am still indentured, and legally working as one. Our two employees are also apprentices, indentured at other places, but are now working here. Our field guy is journeyman, and as such signs off on hours. All of my hours have been signed by my previous shop, so im ok, and their hours are signed for as well. What im saying is, find a shop that will indenture you after a month, its very rare.

Hamann
01-11-2010, 10:09 PM
^^^ Im a welder and i love my job. BUT, i dont just call myself a welder. Im a fabricator....anybody can pick up a welder and make a bead, but it takes more brains to look at a drawing and then build it. Hes pretty much right tho about how it works. Most shops however wont indenture you for atleast 3-6 months, reason being is they want to see if you are worth it. I had to wait 6 months personally, i have seen others wait even more. HOWEVER the good thing is that your hours can be retro back to when you started if they choose to. I would give you an interview, but we are coming to the end of a project and may already have to lay one of my guys off.

I have a passion for welding and welding technology, anything to do with fusing metal, im there. Its a passion of mine, that kind of intertwines with my automotive passion.

If you work doing something you have a passion for, you will never hate your job.

I figured there would be some sort of "checking out" period to make sure they would want to keep me on, etc.

So what would be the best way to get in with a company? should I apply for the 1st year apprentice jobs and just throw a cover letter on explaining I have no experience but would like to get into the trade?

sr20s14zenki
01-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Hamann

I figured there would be some sort of "checking out" period to make sure they would want to keep me on, etc.

So what would be the best way to get in with a company? should I apply for the 1st year apprentice jobs and just throw a cover letter on explaining I have no experience but would like to get into the trade?

When you go, tell them that it is your primary interest to become an apprentice welder at their shop. Most shops will start you in a labour position for good reasons. You need to start at the bottom, and learn the trade from the bottom up. If you just jump to welding, and never do anything underneath it, for example, cutting, grinding, doing the shitty part of the job, you never learn the finesse, or learn to use the tools. I started at my shop as cutter, i cut with a big old chopsaw for 6 months, then i was indentured. I continued, welding out garbage bins, but mostly grinding still, plasma cutting, doing repairs, a bit of painting. Sounds to me like mr prissy pants here is one of those priveleged ones that never had to work hard in his trade :rolleyes:

bottom line, put on your resume that you are looking for a job, but your goal is to become indentured as welder. Discuss it with your potential employer before starting, and come to an agreement maybe. There isnt a shop in the world that will let you just come in and weld right away, it doesnt work like that. The people they want doing the dominant part of the welding, are people who are already trained to do it, you need to learn your place, and learn your trade before you get into that.

Oh, and buddy, why dont you explain to me why you can go to a cwb test center, and get a ticket of any kind provided you demonstrate the skills, and you dont need to be a journeyman, or an apprentice of any kind. And then guess what, you can work at any CWB certified company, LEGALLY with no hassle. I am CWB supervisor and shop foreman at my shop, i know CSA standards w47.1 and w59
like the back of my hand, and im learning 47.2 and 59.2 for aluminum fusion standards. Huh, didnt need to be a journeyman, or an apprentice......

guess what, both of my employees have gone to the test center, got their flux core flat, and stick flat, and that pretty much enables them to do most things in the field and everything in the shop.

Hamann
01-11-2010, 11:04 PM

When you go, tell them that it is your primary interest to become an apprentice welder at their shop. Most shops will start you in a labour position for good reasons. You need to start at the bottom, and learn the trade from the bottom up. If you just jump to welding, and never do anything underneath it, for example, cutting, grinding, doing the shitty part of the job, you never learn the finesse, or learn to use the tools. I started at my shop as cutter, i cut with a big old chopsaw for 6 months, then i was indentured. I continued, welding out garbage bins, but mostly grinding still, plasma cutting, doing repairs, a bit of painting. Sounds to me like mr prissy pants here is one of those priveleged ones that never had to work hard in his trade :rolleyes:

bottom line, put on your resume that you are looking for a job, but your goal is to become indentured as welder. Discuss it with your potential employer before starting, and come to an agreement maybe. There isnt a shop in the world that will let you just come in and weld right away, it doesnt work like that. The people they want doing the dominant part of the welding, are people who are already trained to do it, you need to learn your place, and learn your trade before you get into that.

I figured that, I never expected to jump right in.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if I should be looking/applying for the 1st year jobs, or searching for labourer positions.

Also thanks for all the info :thumbsup:

Nigel Mansell
01-12-2010, 07:24 AM
Oh, and buddy, why dont you explain to me why you can go to a cwb test center, and get a ticket of any kind provided you demonstrate the skills, and you dont need to be a journeyman, or an apprentice of any kind.

Simple. Because you are not a real trade. There's a reason no other tradesman wants to become a welder. If you enjoy cutting strut, filing off the ends, choking on fumes, then hell yeah, go for it. If you want a real job, become an electrician, pipefitter, boilermaker, ironworker, etc. Every other trade looks down their nose at welders. Why would I want to work for less money doing a far dirtier job? If your goal in life is to become a welder then you must have had a terrible childhood. Sorry man, but that's the way that every other trademan looks at you, it is just the honest truth.

OP, don't bother listenin to this guy. If you want to get taken advantage of and get let go after putting in six months of dirty labour, then go for it. They'll string you along and get every cent they can out of you. Instead, apply around and start at the ground up in another trade. That's what I did. I wasn't sweeping up floors or getting other guys their coffee for more than a week before I started learning the trade. There's a clear separation in life: those that are welders, and those that are better than welders.

Nigel Mansell
01-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Hamann
Right now I'm trying to figure out if I should be looking/applying for the 1st year jobs, or searching for labourer positions.

Forget about being a labourer. The whole point is that you want something better with a long term future ahead of you. You want to be working towards something. Apply with every welding shop you can find, if you really do have your heart set on being a welder. Tell them that you're fine with learning the trade from the bottom up, you'll have to do this anywhere. However, make sure that you tell them that they must indenture you after your first month, otherwise, you'll end up cleaning the shop and taking out the trash for years.

sr20s14zenki
01-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Yep figured so. You are a loser and youve just proved it. Thanks for coming out. So why don't you tell me this. What buildings would shitheads like you be doing electrical,plumbing, mechanical, etc... Without welders like me fabricating the steel for your building? Are you gonna erect a building? Don't think so. You can look down your nose all you want but guess what. Without structural fitters/welders like myself you are jobless......fag.

KeepItGully
01-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Yep figured so. You are a loser and youve just proved it. Thanks for coming out. So why don't you tell me this. What buildings would shitheads like you be doing electrical,plumbing, mechanical, etc... Without welders like me fabricating the steel for your building? Are you gonna erect a building? Don't think so. You can look down your nose all you want but guess what. Without structural fitters/welders like myself you are jobless......fag.

I wasted my time reading this thread and your posts...
If your spending your time welding together garbage bins instead of getting your foot in the door of the O&G industry, you my friend are the loser.

sr20s14zenki
01-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Really, so how much money have you made in o&g this year? If you would read, you would see that I STARTED my career doing garbage bins. I now do structural and misc steel and bulding erections. I've made 90k this year (not bragging, I could give a shit less what I make) an I'm happy with my job and position. Kindly pull your head out of your ass.

gretz
01-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by KeepItGully

If your spending your time welding together garbage bins instead of getting your foot in the door of the O&G industry, you my friend are the loser.

quoted for stupidity

Hamann
01-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by KeepItGully

Well your an idiot. :facepalm:

For one, your knocking the one person who has actually given good and useful advice, which I am very thankful for.

But on the other hand you have proven just how stupid you are.

You don't expect people to have to work their way up, I for one don't like the idea of people just "jumping in" and welding important shit, you need the practice and experience to get good.

Common sense really isn't that common huh :facepalm:

aphongt
01-12-2010, 05:42 PM

Simple. Because its not a real job. There's a reason no other person wanting to become a tradesmen. If you enjoy using wrenches, hook up wires, choking on fumes, use plungers then hell yeah, go for it. If you want a real job, become an lawyer, surgeon, accountant, doctor, etc. Every other job looks down their nose at tradesmen. Why would I want to work for less money doing a far dirtier job? If your goal in life is to become a tradesmen then you must have had a terrible childhood. Sorry man, but that's the way that every other occupation looks at you, it is just the honest truth.

fixed.

gregh
01-12-2010, 05:46 PM
I've owned my own welding shop for 15 years & have worked in the trade for over 20, so I have a little background on this subject.

First things first, Nigel, you are a moron.

If your goal in life is to become a welder then you must have had a terrible childhood. Sorry man, but that's the way that every other trademan looks at you, it is just the honest truth.

That is the most brainless comment in the history of internet forums.

& that's the honest truth.

I have 1 or 2 apprentices working for me at any given time & every one who started out with me(didn't already have a contract) was told the same thing, after three months, when you finish your probationary period, you'll get a contract.

That three month period is for both the employee & employer to decide if the person fits the job & if the job fits the person.

If someone "Demanded" I sign them up after the first month, I'd turf them out the door so fast, their head would be spinning all the way to the employment insurance office.

Most companies look at the 3 month probation period as a way to wash out the ones who just aren't suited for the trade( and most jobs in general). Why waste the paperwork & school space on someone that isn't going to make the grade?

Nigel Mansell
01-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Why waste the paperwork & school space on someone that isn't going to make the grade?

What school space? You aren't wasting any school space on anyone until they have put ten months into work first. The paperwork takes less than five minutes, it is just one simple form, as you would know if you really owned your own welding shop. Maybe it takes you longer to fill out the paperwork because you are only a welder.

Nigel Mansell
01-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by aphongt

Simple. Because its not a real job. There's a reason no other person wanting to become a tradesmen. If you enjoy using wrenches, hook up wires, choking on fumes, use plungers then hell yeah, go for it. If you want a real job, become an lawyer, surgeon, accountant, doctor, etc. Every other job looks down their nose at tradesmen. Why would I want to work for less money doing a far dirtier job? If your goal in life is to become a tradesmen then you must have had a terrible childhood. Sorry man, but that's the way that every other occupation looks at you, it is just the honest truth.
fixed.

QFT

Nigel Mansell
01-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Apologies to anyone I've offended in this thread, it was not my intention to turn it into a pissing contest. Welding is good honest work and nothing to look down upon or feel ashamed about. Good luck to the original poster, I was only trying to make the point that you must watch out and make sure that you're not taken advantage of and made to work like a slave for months or even years before you get indentured.

DRKM
01-12-2010, 08:07 PM
To the OP. At every shop I have every worked at (heavy Duty Mechanic working with welders most of the time) you usually get your apprenticeship papers if you show yourself worthy.

From my experiance with apprentices the ones who are eager to learn get signed up and sent to school. Simple as that.

At first you will be cleaning up and doing grunt work but if YOU show initiative then you WILL move up. Its like any job really.

sr20s14zenki
01-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Apologies to anyone I've offended in this thread, it was not my intention to turn it into a pissing contest. Welding is good honest work and nothing to look down upon or feel ashamed about. Good luck to the original poster, I was only trying to make the point that you must watch out and make sure that you're not taken advantage of and made to work like a slave for months or even years before you get indentured.

That i agree with, should have said that in the first place. Apology accepted. I work hard for what i make, and because i didnt get a proverbial silver spoon in my mouth, i learned that if i want something i have to work for it, and it has paid off, indeed. But you should know if you are getting taken advantage of. Example: i know a guy who worked at a tireshop i will leave un-named. He wanted a mechanic apprenticeship (they did tires and mechanical work). Well everytime the guy from apprenticeship would come, he would tell the guys that werent apprentices to go and hang out in the back. THAT is bullshit. I worked for my apprenticeship, and i got it. I expect my guys to work for their apprenticeship, and you can bet your ass they will get it. You are right, its simple paperwork, but that doesnt matter, nothing comes for free. Those who show a work ethic in life, will go places, those who think it comes for nothing, will get left behind, and always wonder " why does nothing ever come to me". Ill tell you why, figure it out, it takes work and effort.

gregh
01-12-2010, 09:10 PM

as you would know if you really owned your own welding shop. Maybe it takes you longer to fill out the paperwork because you are only a welder.

My company (http://www.hdiron.com/)

Check the "About" page if you want to see my name on it.

While I do appreciate your apology, Your earlier post was still one of the dumbest things ever typed.

Nigel Mansell
01-12-2010, 09:17 PM
How hard is it to get a four position CWB ticket?

sr20s14zenki
01-12-2010, 09:28 PM
How hard is it to get a four position CWB ticket? Well it takes practice. You have to do a 1gf, 2gf, 3gf, and 4gf . It is done on 3/8" plate with a backing bar. You are required to do a stop start at the point where the bend is performed. Once you are done, your weld is ground flush (by the way your cap is allowed to protrude from the plate surface 1/32") and then cut into sections. Bend tests are performed, you are allowed 1/8" CUMULATIVE openings. So, if your weld opens 1/16" here and 1/16" in two other spots youre fucked. I found it quite a challenge and ive been welding for 6 years, mind you i did mostly GMAW, not so much SMAW. I have a flux core flat ticket, as we have a crane in the shop, so no need for out of position welding. I have my all position SMAW for field use. I have flux core vertical down, which is a special test for doing railings. I also have my qdeck ticket (also known as ARC SPOT WELD)

I am challenging 3rd year in febuary/march, after my baby boy gets here :D , i have the modules, im studying. The test for that is harder, its flat, vertical, uphand, overhead, and overhead 45, all with open root welds, 6010 root, 7018 fill and cap. I gotta practice my open roots. In cwb you need a different certification for open root vs backing or fillets.

95civicgsr
01-12-2010, 09:35 PM
hmm i thought cwb tickets were ray'd these days? i only have my 1G smaw and 1G metal core though so i dont know to much about it. Currently I am in technical training for for my 3rd year and am loving it. I would recommend the trade to anyone who is interested in it, the first few months are a little rough but once you get your hands into the fabbing aspect it actually turns out to be a pretty rewarding career and also you can get your blue seal after your red seal!

megafandrew
01-12-2010, 09:41 PM

QFT

Well apology is good but just to let you know I am currently a labourer and make more money then alot of "professional" careers. Of course I have to live/work up in Fort McMurray though. OP if you want to be a welder sign on with a good company. Finning is opening labourer positions and Im sure they will eventually be looking for welder apprentices!

sr20s14zenki
01-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by 95civicgsr
hmm i thought cwb tickets were ray'd these days? i only have my 1G smaw and 1G metal core though so i dont know to much about it. Currently I am in technical training for for my 3rd year and am loving it. I would recommend the trade to anyone who is interested in it, the first few months are a little rough but once you get your hands into the fabbing aspect it actually turns out to be a pretty rewarding career and also you can get your blue seal after your red seal! Yknow I would have to dig into w47 to see but I'm pretty sure any form of inspection be it bend test or radiographic or ultrasonic. Ecauss still does a guided bend test and that is the only thing outlined in w47 as the main means of testing. I believe they have released an updated standard in w47 and w59. I am waiting for my copies

95civicgsr
01-12-2010, 09:48 PM
sweet, send me a msg when you get them would be interesting to know.

nonofyobiz
01-18-2010, 07:34 PM
I am challenging 3rd year in febuary/march...[/B]

So you are challenging the written test too?
You'll have a Ab. Journeyman ticket afterwards?

I think it's complete bs that shops around here want CWB now. Like the Ab. Journeymans ticket isn't good enough. You need to go spend $400 on your cwb tests, but if someone has all their cwb and no schooling, then that's just as good?

Whatever, i'm sure i'm getting laid off this week so i'll prob have to go get my CWB.

To OP, prob REALLY tough to get your foot in the door right now. 3 years ago when the job market was absolutely INSANE, i was in the same situation as you, no experience. Most of the companies wouldn't even consider me.

Welding isn't for everyone, but u need to try it out to see if you enjoy it. It's def a dirty job and your in a hazardous environment (UV light, fumes, heavy materials) and you gotta work hard at most places. Since i became a welder I learned what it means to have a work ethic haha "head down, a$$ up"

Nigel Mansell
01-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Since i became a welder I learned what it means to have a work ethic haha "head down, a$$ up

Exactly why I didn't become a welder. I chose another trade. I make twice the money that welders do and I sit on my lazy a$$ most of the day doing about ten percent of the work that a welder does.

nonofyobiz
01-18-2010, 10:58 PM
*sigh* wasn't going to acknowledge you at all.

your admitting you didn't become a welder because you're too fckin lazy. good. one less goof ball i have to worry about.

I highly doubt u make much more money than I do unless u'r a contractor of some sort.

anyways, you have zero insight into what u are talking about.

Nigel Mansell
01-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by nonofyobiz
*sigh* wasn't going to acknowledge you at all.

your admitting you didn't become a welder because you're too fckin lazy. good. one less goof ball i have to worry about.

I highly doubt u make much more money than I do unless u'r a contractor of some sort.

anyways, you have zero insight into what u are talking about.

I make 140k in a bad year. I'm not a contractor at all, I work for a contractor in Fort McMurray. Zero responsibliity.

Nigel Mansell
01-19-2010, 07:56 PM
[Byour admitting you didn't become a welder because you're too fckin lazy. [/B]

The word you're looking for is "you're" as in "you are" not "your" as in "are these your pants?". It is not hard to pick the welder out in a written conversation.

sr20s14zenki
01-19-2010, 08:47 PM

So you are challenging the written test too?
You'll have a Ab. Journeyman ticket afterwards?

I think it's complete bs that shops around here want CWB now. Like the Ab. Journeymans ticket isn't good enough. You need to go spend $400 on your cwb tests, but if someone has all their cwb and no schooling, then that's just as good?

Whatever, i'm sure i'm getting laid off this week so i'll prob have to go get my CWB.

To OP, prob REALLY tough to get your foot in the door right now. 3 years ago when the job market was absolutely INSANE, i was in the same situation as you, no experience. Most of the companies wouldn't even consider me.

Welding isn't for everyone, but u need to try it out to see if you enjoy it. It's def a dirty job and your in a hazardous environment (UV light, fumes, heavy materials) and you gotta work hard at most places. Since i became a welder I learned what it means to have a work ethic haha "head down, a$$ up"

Yes, its 150 for the written and i think 160 for the practical. I have my hours, just honestly have no time to go to school. Being the CWB supervisor, i have to either be there to oversee all welding operations, or have a delegate to be there for me, which i have nobody experienced enough. Im going to try challenging anyways, we'll see how that goes, im going to cut up a bunch of 30 degree bevels and start tacking together coupons for myself, i dont do a whole lot of open root. CWB while it IS a pain in the ass, can also be a good thing. It weeds out the retards from the people who should be welding. It used to be you could be some farmer with a rig on the back of your truck, and go and weld whatever, and nobody gave a shit. There hasn't been a job i have been on now, where i havent been asked for my tickets. The reason for that, is because it sets a standard. Before CWB, who's to say a journeyman's weld is good. Ive seen LOTS of journeymen who i can weld circles around, and who really barely know their trade. CWB is a standard, it follows CSA standards w.47, and w.59. These standards offer guidelines for testing/training your personnel, as well as worksmanship guidelines for fusion of steel as well, in both static and dynamic structures. Rather than comparing one journeyman to the next, you are comparing the weld you just did in a test, to a weld that has been designed by engineers, and guidelines that have been established by engineers, so in my opinion, it offers more control over all welding processes. Like i said, weed out the retards, if you cant get a CWB ticket, you REALLY suck and should find another trade. You think that's bad? ISO is coming in soon, and thats going to make it even worse. You wont even be able to sneeze on your weld without somebody up your ass. Its all part of quality control, you're either in or you're out. I agree with being able to get a ticket without being a journeyman, and here is why. When you go and complete a CWB welder test and pass, you are demonstrating your ability to complete a sound weld. The way i see it, if you can do it, you can do it. Case closed.

Nigel: You dont need to stereotype, i personally think i am well spoken, and i work in the welding field. I say this because i am not simply a welder. Welders are a dime a dozen, anybody can weld. I am a fabricator/iron worker, i take engineered drawings, and fabricate every part, and assemble, it, and then erect it in the field. Im happy you make money, the labour thing isnt for everybody, and thats your choice. I go to work every day happy to be there, i can honestly say i love my job and what i do, and i think somebody once said "If you enjoy what you do, you will always be happy". It has its rocky parts, but what in life doesn't. As long as you're happy, thats all that matters.