PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed: What to do with big windows?

BokCh0y
01-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Just looking for some advice on window coverings and ideas.

I have this 97" x 48" window in the Bonus room. I have drapes over it, but I was thinking of doing something else like blinds. Looked at some blinds but due to the size, looks like it'sll be $$$ custom order.

Though about installing 3 different sections to make the 97" covering, this would give me the ability to leave certain sections opened/closed.

But yeah, just trying to get some ideas on what everyone else has done with theig hugeass windows in the bonus rooms. Nothing wrong with the drapes i have except they are dark dark so when they are pulled closed, virtually no light comes in. But for privacy i don't want to leave the windows open all day...

Anyways any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!.

ExtraSlow
01-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Call Best for less blinds (http://www.calgaryblinds.ca/) .

They did a great job on my place, and for some of the larger windows did two piece blinds so you can open each side individually. I'm very happy with the price and product.

BokCh0y
01-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Call Best for less blinds (http://www.calgaryblinds.ca/) .

They did a great job on my place, and for some of the larger windows did two piece blinds so you can open each side individually. I'm very happy with the price and product.

Thanks!!!! I'll check these guys out.

Anyone else have advice?

Rarasaurus
01-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I use to be involved in this indurstry and I agree with what was said above. I know best for less sells good quality two inch blinds and roller blinds for good prices. Also as stated above you can split a window like that into three so that different sections are able to easily be raised. If you do one large one it would be cheaper but hard on the cords and very hard to raise due to weight. You can also do roller blinds in three sections. They are becoming more and more popular because you can decide how much light you want to come through by choosing different materials. Usually people do seperate sections where the window opens. If you have more questions let me know.

BokCh0y
01-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Rarasaurus
I use to be involved in this indurstry and I agree with what was said above. I know best for less sells good quality two inch blinds and roller blinds for good prices. Also as stated above you can split a window like that into three so that different sections are able to easily be raised. If you do one large one it would be cheaper but hard on the cords and very hard to raise due to weight. You can also do roller blinds in three sections. They are becoming more and more popular because you can decide how much light you want to come through by choosing different materials. Usually people do seperate sections where the window opens. If you have more questions let me know.

Wow Thanks!!! This totally comes in handy. Much appreicated everyone.

So doing like a 3 piece sectional kinda deal should be fine then? I was worried about the asthectics.

Yeah i was concerned about having one big ass blind assembly and trying to pull the unit up and drop it down, along with with added weight of support to the pull cords.

Thinking i'll take your advice and go with a two or three piece unit where i can open specific sections too.

Roller blincs...never thought about those...will have to search for how they look.

Thanks again.

brandon
01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
pm'd

Rarasaurus
01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
If you go with a company like Best for Less they do custom blinds. The way it would be done for two inch horizontals for example is all three blinds in the same headrail up top, It looks good and since they are all in the same headrail with one valance just split into three. The spacing between them can be minimized to a quarter of an inch since it’s the same headrail. If you go with roller blinds the space would be bigger as they would all have to be mounted on separate brackets my guess would be half to ¾ of an inch spacing between the roller blinds.

frozenrice
01-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Picture of the window?

You could look at Roman blinds. We did a three piece sectional window with them. I'll try and find a picture.

prae
01-12-2010, 05:28 PM
I've got a big window in my place with kind of a dual drape setup. One set of typical, dark drapes which give complete privacy, and another, thinner, opaque set that let a lot of light in but still give you moderate privacy.

taylorwandy
01-21-2010, 03:05 AM
I think there are lots of advantages of big windows in the room seems very long and wide, I like the couch along the wall where a big window in room, to Stretch out and watch outside.

taylorwandy

HHURICANE1
01-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Could also do vertical blinds. Ours are custom length and didn't take very long to get.

Sugarphreak
01-23-2010, 09:20 PM

Rarasaurus
01-25-2010, 10:51 AM
^ Those prices are not bad compared to some blind retailers like home depot but can definitely be beat, also you do not have to install yourself unlike with blinds.ca