PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Honda Element

sputnik
01-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Now that my family has gotten bigger my wife and I are considering getting a second vehicle.

We aren't really interested in a minivan or a larger SUV and were hoping to get an AWD wagon or something.

However I was in the states recently and dropped in on the Honda dealership and they had a new Element on the showroom floor. At first I was joking around with my brother in law about the Element, but as we kept looking at it and sitting in it, it began to stick. Could it be the right vehicle for my family?

Pros

- AWD and a decent ride height
- Rock solid K24 iVTEC engine
- NAV (in the US)
- Very adjustable seats (from family vehicle to cargo van)
- Decent sight lines
- Not to big but still reasonable storage space

What are the cons? Will anyone here admit to owning one?

The one major con I can see is the price in Canada. In the US the Element is almost $10,000 cheaper, not to mention the accessories are MUCH cheaper in the US and you can get NAV and a number of other colour options.

Although your warranty is voided when importing, the price differential makes up for the lack of warranty IMO.

Anyone have an opinion on these beasts?

jaylo
01-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Hi,

I proudly own a 2003 Honda Element EX AWD. It is a great, solid, vehicle and it is very spacious. I once placed a 50" LCD TV in a box with it's stand w/o even removing the rear seats (the rear seats fold up to the side).

Come join http://www.elementownersclub.com then you can research more about the Element.

There's going to be quite a few haters here as stated in this thread http://forums.beyond.ca/st/273848/opinions-on-a-honda-element/ but the Element has come a long way since 2003.

PM me if you have other questions regarding :angel:

Sugarphreak
01-12-2010, 11:59 AM

Jeremiah
01-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I believe 88CRX got one...

I always thought it was cool how the seats folded in these cars.

I would opt for no Nav and buy a new Pioneer Nav Head Unit for much less than half the cost and have better functionality but thats just me

Redlyne_mr2
01-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Elements are awesome cars, so good in the winter and you can carry a ton of cargo as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a loaded element $26K USD and a Canadian one is $34K? Factor in the 6.1% import fee (assuming it's made in Japan), 5+% exchange rate as well as all associated transportation fees and inspections and the savings shouldn't be that much. I wouldn't give up warranty on a new car nor would I want to have to deal with bringing the car back down the US for safety recalls should any come up. Not much can touch the element for the price though, that's for sure.

Sorath
01-12-2010, 05:22 PM
theres $3500 off a 2009 element right now too

Team_Mclaren
01-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Buy a second gen Scion XB instead. Better build, more power, less plastic (inside and out).

I'm not sure how much a used element is, but an 08 Scion XB can be have for around 16K landed

HondaKid
01-12-2010, 10:44 PM
The bad parts regarding an Element as I recall from the days when I was considering the vehicle:

"My only gripes are the fact that it only seats four; and the fact that the rear doors can’t be opened independently of the fronts. But if your primary use for the vehicle is carrying stuff, rather than people, the Element’s upright styling make it well-suited to, say, a small company in need of an affordable delivery vehicle."

You are the driver (no one else in the front), you have a kid in the rear passenger side, he wants dropped off at school. You will need to get out and run around to the other side and let him out.

Also, anyone wanting out the rear doors needs to be let out, which means those in the front seats will need to get out and open the rear doors. Seems half baked to me.

Other than that the vehicle is solid, a family member has one and loves it. She has only a big dog, no kids, so it works for her.

Another review:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/bottomline/honda_element_2010

bignerd
01-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Own a 2008 SC.

It is way bigger than a Scion-I didn't even consider a Scion, they are like a toy compared to the size of an Element. Shit loads of room in it-I am 5'7" (a girl) and I have a foot of space above my head-can reach my arms straight out and have a foot and a half of space to the other side of the car... many tall people (like 6'5" buy these because of the leg room/height).

I like the ride and seating in the Element-you sit high, have pretty good vision (unless you have the rear seats folded up). As well the gear shifter(mine is stick) in the middle of the dash IS indeed comfortable and you get use to it very quickly.

I wanted a bit cooler of an Element so I got the SC-sometimes the center console is a bit of a pain, with kids and wanting access to the back I would get a model besides the SC. As well the SC has carpet to the back seat-other models do not.

The plastic is a bit hard in the rear and because of that stuff slides around on it mine, I have a rubber mat down to keep stuff still. The doors are handy when you have room to open them all the way-I have had some situations in mall parking lots where it is tight and someone in the back needs out but you open your door and then have to squeeze by while they get out so they can shut their door first etc...---a sliding door like a mini van is much better in these situations, but then you would have to drive a mini-van.

It is also surprisingly torquey-it is not a race car but it revs high like all Honda's and you can romp on that thing right off the line and leave quite a few people in your dust.

Gas mileage I am a little dissapointed in, it is a bigger engine and obviously not the most aero-dynamic vehicle so if you are used to normal Honda mileage you will be in for a bit of shock with the Element. It is not horrible but not great either. I have heard it is bad in the wind because of it's shape but have not noticed it to be any worse than any other truck/mini van on a windy day.

Has been good to me in the winter with all seasons on it. Hauls a lot of shit-I have seen people fit full size sport motorcycles in the back of these things, we have brought home ten foot lengths of pipe etc...

Insurance is pretty cheap on it too.

You could buy from the US but you should be able to get 0.9% financing here too (which may negate the US savings unless you are paying cash) as they are hard to move-the are not the most popular car on the lot so really play that up and deal with the dealership. FYI-Crowfoot Honda told me that many of their customers are happy paying full price for their cars because of their service ...right, T&T also would not match the offer I made them. Honda West said I was driving a hard bargain and accepted my offer, also brought the Element in from another dealership in Edmonton for me for no extra charge (I wanted a certain color). Medicine Hat I think had the next cheapest prices.

I found with the Element you either love it or hate it and you know right away if it is a car for you.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Check out the elementownersclub.com pretty big club with about 28,000 members. Lots of modding ideas on there, trouble shooting, some cool freaking E's on there(including the supercharged "Hellement" with about 350 Horsepower). This club is a wealth of information on these vehicles.

By the way, that is how it starts.... you consider it, go look at it, consider it some more, then suddenly you own an E.

InLoveWitRSX
01-13-2010, 01:12 AM
My mom has a Element SC too and its a sweet car/suv I must say... I'd say the manual would be pretty fun in it but she has the auto. It is roomy but only seats 4 as others said.. Other than that, sweet ride.

Aleks
01-13-2010, 08:01 AM
I briefly looked at them but the door arrangment would drive me crazy with putting a 2 piece baby seat in the back. Went with Forester instead because it has huge room for child seats. (I am 6'1" and don't have to pull my seat up with the seat in the back)

If this isn't an issue for you I don't see a reason why not if you can get one for a good price.

pinoyhero
01-13-2010, 08:19 AM
With the dollar where it is and transferability of warranty, decide on it here and buy it out of the US, I think there's a dealer in Kalispell 4.5 hours away.

sputnik
01-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Elements are awesome cars, so good in the winter and you can carry a ton of cargo as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a loaded element $26K USD and a Canadian one is $34K? Factor in the 6.1% import fee (assuming it's made in Japan), 5+% exchange rate as well as all associated transportation fees and inspections and the savings shouldn't be that much. I wouldn't give up warranty on a new car nor would I want to have to deal with bringing the car back down the US for safety recalls should any come up. Not much can touch the element for the price though, that's for sure.

Honda Elements are built in Ohio.

sputnik
01-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Here is what I am seeing.

From Canada

2010 Element EX 4WD - $33,680 MSRP
GST - $1684

Total - $35,364

In Canada only the EX is available with 4WD. In the US ALL models are available with 4WD

From the US

2010 Element EX 4WD - $24,595 MSRP
GST - $1230
AC Tax - $100
RIV Fees - $209
Daytime Running Lights - $150
No duty made in the USA

Total - $26,284

The difference is $9080

Something other things to consider is that I probably wouldn't make the purchase until the Canadian dollar is at par or higher in the US.

Also when I was at the dealership in the US the current dealer had their "best price" for the floor model at almost $2000 under MSRP. So there are even further savings compared to the lack of discounting at the local dealerships.

It is also worth noting that dealer installed accessories in the US are less than HALF the price of the SAME accessories installed in Canada.

So if I am saving $10,000 is it really worth buying in Canada just to get a warranty?

bignerd
01-13-2010, 10:21 AM
You have to calculate interest in there too (I am assuming you would be getting a loan for the car). Not sure if you have a LOC or would have to get an actual car loan (which could be around 6% +/-) versus possible 0.9% dealer financing here...

When I bought, this factor negated most of the savings of going to the States to buy in my case, I figured that if it was not much more savings for me and with warranty available here, I chose to buy here.

sputnik
01-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
You have to calculate interest in there too (I am assuming you would be getting a loan for the car). Not sure if you have a LOC or would have to get an actual car loan (which could be around 6% +/-) versus possible 0.9% dealer financing here...

When I bought, this factor negated most of the savings of going to the States to buy in my case, I figured that if it was not much more savings for me and with warranty available here, I chose to buy here.

I will be paying cash.

Sorath
01-13-2010, 01:41 PM
sputnik if you are paying cash, the 3500 rebate from honda is huge savings for the vehicle, not to mention thats not including what the dealer would be willing to discount since it is a 09 model.

and then on top of that you have to pay duty and tax.

sputnik
01-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
sputnik if you are paying cash, the 3500 rebate from honda is huge savings for the vehicle, not to mention thats not including what the dealer would be willing to discount since it is a 09 model.

and then on top of that you have to pay duty and tax.

1.) I have to pay tax regardless, so that isn't much of an argument.

2.) Duty isn't applicable because the Elements are built in the US.

3.) Chances are I will be able to get a better price in the US if I am willing to pay cash as well.

So aside from the warranty, I really see little reason to spend $10,000 more and buy it in Canada. Besides, if you talk to any Honda salesperson in Canada they will tell you flat out that the Honda is the most reliable vehicle sold in North America. So if that is the case, I don't mind having a $10,000 buffer should I have to pay for a repair out of pocket. I have owned 3 Hondas so far and none of them have ever needed major warranty work.

Why are Canadians getting screwed?

Aleks
01-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Are they allowed to sell brand new cars to Canadian citizens? I know lots of manufacturers prohibit this now.

88CRX
01-13-2010, 02:41 PM
I picked up an 05' LX (base model) a couple months ago and I absolutely love it.

I think my opinion on practicality may be a little skewed as I was coming from my Civic which I've made inpractical for carrying anything/daily driving/etc. But either way it has a shit ton of room on the inside, and the fact that the rear seats fold up easily is a huge plus. Great for boarding trips or having to lug around the hockey equipment.

With that said I slapped some winter on it and it's been virtually unstopable so far, and mines only a 2wd model. Has a ton of ground clearance and gets around the shit roads great.

Only complaints I have is that the gas mileage isn't all that great. I've only averaged 21-22mpg (i think, I'll double check my #'s when I get home). And it doesn't react all that great to big winds on the highway (obvious considering the shape of the vehicle). Also the torque steer is pretty damn annoying when you pin it.

Also I would look at getting atleast the EX model over the base LX. EX has ipod hookup, center dash subwoofer, armrest and a couple other small things that would be nice.

HondaKid
01-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

From Canada

From the US

The difference is $9080

Something other things to consider is that I probably wouldn't make the purchase until the Canadian dollar is at par or higher in the US.

Also when I was at the dealership in the US the current dealer had their "best price" for the floor model at almost $2000 under MSRP. So there are even further savings compared to the lack of discounting at the local dealerships.

It is also worth noting that dealer installed accessories in the US are less than HALF the price of the SAME accessories installed in Canada.

So if I am saving $10,000 is it really worth buying in Canada just to get a warranty?

Add to it the dealer goodies like floor mats, block heater, etc and it is even better. Easy to spend another $1,000 on goodies which will still be half price compared to Canada. Also, you can buy a new Panasonic TV as they are made in Mexico (NA Free Trade), no duty or anything other than the GST. See www.vanns.com for some ideas.

ShermanEF9
01-14-2010, 03:29 AM

1.) I have to pay tax regardless, so that isn't much of an argument.

2.) Duty isn't applicable because the Elements are built in the US.

3.) Chances are I will be able to get a better price in the US if I am willing to pay cash as well.

So aside from the warranty, I really see little reason to spend $10,000 more and buy it in Canada. Besides, if you talk to any Honda salesperson in Canada they will tell you flat out that the Honda is the most reliable vehicle sold in North America. So if that is the case, I don't mind having a $10,000 buffer should I have to pay for a repair out of pocket. I have owned 3 Hondas so far and none of them have ever needed major warranty work.

Why are Canadians getting screwed?

Sorath IS said salesperson. just FYI :P

sputnik
01-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
Sorath IS said salesperson. just FYI :P

O RLY?

I know that. Everyone on Beyond knows that.

However he has yet to give me a good reason to buy a Honda in Canada.

Sorath
01-14-2010, 11:56 AM
tbh i got nothing, it sounds to me that you've made up your mind and whatever reason me or anyone in this thread have given you, you seem to already have made your decision. so go ahead and buy from the states. the only last thing i can tell you is that if you try and sell your element in canada its gonna be tough because it is a US car with no warranty. anyways good luck with whatever you decide on

HondaKid
01-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
tbh i got nothing, it sounds to me that you've made up your mind and whatever reason me or anyone in this thread have given you, you seem to already have made your decision. so go ahead and buy from the states. the only last thing i can tell you is that if you try and sell your element in canada its gonna be tough because it is a US car with no warranty. anyways good luck with whatever you decide on

That is a good point, resale will be crap unless it is off warranty. That can be what 80,000 km? I cannot recall and I have a newer Honda on warranty and have made four claims in the last 18 months, would hate to be running to Montana every time I needed this work. One was for a paint issue which was a week in the shop with a loaner car, and again a further two days after the original work was not up to snuff. That would have been two trips alone to Montana and I doubt their loaner car is legal to take across the border, my Calgary loaner could not leave the city limits or there was no insurance.

Plenty of options to consider here.

HondaKid
01-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
I believe 88CRX got one...

I always thought it was cool how the seats folded in these cars.

I would opt for no Nav and buy a new Pioneer Nav Head Unit for much less than half the cost and have better functionality but thats just me

I too would opt out of the Honda Nav as it has had iffy reviews and there are far better systems in the after market area.

Redlyne_mr2
01-14-2010, 01:59 PM
As Sorath stated it's a good deal if you decide to drive it into the ground and keep it forever but you will lose a lot in depreciation and the vehicle will be very difficult to sell. As for the warranty I don't think it's right to say Hondas are reliable and never have problems. The Elements, like all cars have their own series of problems including hvac issues, the car shutting off randomly, etc.

benyl
01-14-2010, 02:07 PM

From Canada

2010 Element EX 4WD - $33,680 MSRP
GST - $1684

Total - $35,364

In Canada only the EX is available with 4WD. In the US ALL models are available with 4WD

From the US

2010 Element EX 4WD - $24,595 MSRP
GST - $1230
AC Tax - $100
RIV Fees - $209
Daytime Running Lights - $150
No duty made in the USA

Total - $26,284

The difference is $9080

I love when people make this argument when the dollar is high.

Back in July, the dollar was $1.15 and this time last year it was even worse ($1.24+).

Do you expect car dealers to change their prices every month based on exchange?

At $1.15, your savings are cut in half. Factor in a plane ticket or shipping and now your savings have dropped into the realm of wheeling and dealing ($2-3K).