PDA

View Full Version : Carpet cost

TKRIS
01-13-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm about to buy carpet for my basement. I've shopped around a bit, and found some that I like. The cheapest acceptable carpet is going for around $3.75/sq.ft installed. The stuff I want is $4.40/sq.ft installed.
How reasonable does that seem to you guys?
With waste and everything figured in, I'll need a little under 700 sq.ft, and I have ~9 stairs that will need to be done as well. Those costs estimates include the stairs, tax, etc.

I'm not in Calgary, so I'm sure I'm going to be paying more than most of your guys would. I'm just wondering what I should expect to be able to negotiate. Do most carpet places have much wiggle room on their prices?

Tik-Tok
01-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Depends on the carpet I suppose. Did that price also include a good quality underlay?

We got a smoking deal from Home Depot, some nice stuff that was supposed to be $5.75/sq.ft, it was also 20% off for one weekend only, but then we also found the sample board had a price that was a year older than the actual price, lol, so they had to honour that price plus the 20% off.

Ended up paying $3.25/sq.ft, almost half of what it should have been.

TKRIS
01-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Yes. I'm installing directly on top of concrete, so I need high quality underlay.
Looking at their website, the installation costs look to be a fair bit less than what they quoted me, so I might be able to get the good carpet down to ~$3.90