PDA

View Full Version : Considering moving from Edmonton to Calgary

prudzzz
01-15-2010, 12:06 AM
When i finish school i plan on moving either to Calgary or off to somewhere in the US. I currently live in a nice central area in Edmonton. What is a comparible area in Calgary? I live in Parkallen/Allendale which are considered very nice areas in Edmonton. They are located beside the University, the river valley, close to downtown, and every other place you could/would want to go in Edmonton. Prices range anywhere from $250,000 to close to $1,000,000 depending on the property and house. Budget wise i am thinking $300,000-350,000. I am looking for neighbour hood names in Calgary that resemble this description so i can begin looking in Calgary. Looking for a house btw. Suggestions?

s dime
01-15-2010, 12:11 AM
West Hillhurst, Kensington, Bankview, Mount Royal?

ReflexFX
01-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Try dover.

prudzzz
01-15-2010, 12:19 AM
Thanks guys! i need to edit the first post and then go to bed. Serious lulz had by the terrible writing.

barmanjay
01-15-2010, 01:13 AM
your price rage is decent, but not for anywhere close to DT unless its a semi-det/townhouse
and even those, you would be hard pressed to find decent ones.

there are lots of nice areas. crowfoot, shawnessy, signal hill, and etc...

not close to DT, but have damn near everything you need: shopping, movies, rest, bars, groceries and etc.... all with C-train access to DT

come spend a weekend if you are serious and visit each of the areas.

are you looking for a newer neighbourhood? older more established neighbourhood? new house? old house? up on a higher elevation? lower elevation? close to the river? mountain view?

barmanjay
01-15-2010, 10:31 AM
I just did a search of the areas in your price range, and will hand-pick a few areas for you to check-out

keep in mind, some of those areas you will only be able to afford a duplex or a fixer-upper.

Acadia
Auburn bay
Bankview
Beddington
Bowness
Bridlewood
Canyon Meadows
Caedarbrae
Copperfield
Country hills
Coventry hills
Cranston
Douglasdale
Evergreen
Hiddenvalley
Huntington
Mckenzie Lake
Mckenzie Towne
Midnapore
New Brighton
Queensland
Riverbend
Shawnessy
Silverado
Sundance
Woodbine

There are lots of other areas to check, but try those first

Prices will also fluctuate over the next couple years. Some areas will become more affordable and others will drop off your list. Just have to wait and see.

eblend
01-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Your coming out of Edmonton, if you want to feel like home, NE would fit nicely, otherwise anywhere else in the city is fine ;)

J/k

prudzzz
01-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Your coming out of Edmonton, if you want to feel like home, NE would fit nicely, otherwise anywhere else in the city is fine ;)

J/k

lol i'll pass.

Barmanjay, i'd prefer to move into an established neighbourhood, old house is fine, fixer upper is not a problem either. I'm not looking for the most balling house ever. Just something with a solid foundation, character, that isn't falling apart. I don't necessarily mean i can walk to downtown in 10 min, but i don't want to have to drive 30 min to reach downtown. a 10 min drive would be ideal.

I should have mentioned i finish school in 2 years. I just want to do my homework ahead of time so i can start searching for what i think will best suit me. I'll probably make a few trips down there this summer to see what a bunch of the neighbourhoods look like.