PDA

View Full Version : Car audio system help

relyt92
01-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Hi, this is only an idea at this point but I'm looking into upgrading the audio system in my car. I drive a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero coupe running the stock system. I'm not looking at spending huge amounts of money or getting into the high end stuff, just looking to have better sound and some more bass. I've got no real knowledge in this area, so I was hoping you guys would be able to recommend a decent mid range set up for me.

Thanks in advance.

spike98
01-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Budget?

Do you have a Aftermarket Head Unit already? Or are you wanting to stay with the factory head?

Looking to save space in the trunk?

Want pee your pants loud or symphony quality sound?

Mar
01-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Get a headunit at Wal-Mart for $100 and that should keep you happy for a year or so.

03ozwhip
01-15-2010, 10:33 AM
ive done a system in an alero before very easy to do. my advice would be to go to a pawn shop, cash converters or something and start there. get some knowledge under your belt with some decent used stuff and move up from there.

core_upt
01-15-2010, 10:34 AM
go talk to a shop.... the issue with your car, from what I remember from my car audio sales days, is that your factory unit is connected to a ton of other shit in your car - door chimes, horn and so on. You need a specific bypass module to do it properly.
New head unit and speakers will give you better sound. As would adding a sub, but anything you do is going to cast more than say, on a honda civic.

03ozwhip
01-15-2010, 10:37 AM
^^^wrong. ive done it, no need for anything special and everything works fine. maybe if there was a premium stereo though....

spike98
01-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by core_upt
go talk to a shop.... the issue with your car, from what I remember from my car audio sales days, is that your factory unit is connected to a ton of other shit in your car - door chimes, horn and so on. You need a specific bypass module to do it properly.
New head unit and speakers will give you better sound. As would adding a sub, but anything you do is going to cast more than say, on a honda civic.

Spoken like a true audio salesman haha.

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
^^^wrong. ive done it, no need for anything special and everything works fine. maybe if there was a premium stereo though....

Even with a premium stereo your fine. You may get a CODE when scanned but thats it.

Im waiting for the questions above before i really chime in.

relyt92
01-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by spike98
Budget?

Do you have a Aftermarket Head Unit already? Or are you wanting to stay with the factory head?

Looking to save space in the trunk?

Want pee your pants loud or symphony quality sound?
I'm probably looking to spend around $600-$700, unless that will get me basically nothing in which case I could up my budget. It's got the factory head unit right now, but I would like to get an aftermarket one put in. Trunk space isn't a huge concern as long as I don't lose all of it, I've got plenty of space to spare as it is. I'd go for more of a symphony quality loud, I don't need my windows to be shaking from the bass I'd just like a better quality sound from my music.

03ozwhip
01-15-2010, 01:03 PM
pm'd

spike98
01-15-2010, 01:10 PM
www.visions.ca

DEHP510UB $244.00

MRPM500 $252.00

SWS-1223D $168.00

schosce dash kit and harness ~$30

www.knukonceptz.com

KLM-K4 KLM Complete 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit $24.99+~$20 shipping

www.futureshop.ca

Bassworx 12" Subwoofer Sealed Box (CS12) $79.99

Comes to roughly $860+ case of beer to install

If you purchase the above on ebay or the like you can maybe save $100.

There are some lesser known quality brands that are low cost as well. Elemental Designs is one of them. Lots of people like them on this forum as well.

Once you install this and get it tuned right see how you like it. You can always replace the speakers as they go. But this will add a nice amount of thump.

Ask questions here and ready teh interwebs for info on how to install it all. Its REALLY easy.

Graham_A_M
01-19-2010, 11:17 PM
I'll update this thread tommorow when I have more time.
I've eaten $6-10k installs with my $1000 install(s) on numerous occasions.
Its not what you have (in all its entirety) but what you do with what you have. Install theory is amazingly complex: yet the vast majority overlook it.

If you have no problem with buying slightly used gear then I can find you a wicked system for a song and a dance really.

Anyway... let me know what you think: and I'll get back to this thread tomorrow (time permitting).