PDA

View Full Version : I am so Depressed right now ;(

Dope7
01-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Long Story Warning, let's say i feel like complete shit.

So now, we are in November/ 2009:

Alright let me start by this, i am currently enrolled in the Mechanical Engineering Technologist program at Nait(college). First year, i am doing really good in everything, but Statics. i just can't get it, i am having a hard time even with the basic stuff. we have a midterm tomorrow and i really don't know anything. and i didn't get a good mark when i did my fist midterm. i didn't pass it...the problem is that if we're gonna go further in statics, which we will probably do (dynamics, and stress)...i don't see my self going any where with this. i was thinking about switching programs... my dad( Senior Chemical Engineer) told me to go for either instrumentation or Constuction Engineering...which i did some reaserch on and had nothing to do with Static and i am really happy about it. i just don't see my self enjoying doing something for the next 20 to 30 years from now...it really feels bad when your average for everything is more than 70% and you fail one course which is statics.

what do you guys think about construction, or instrumentation engineering technology programs?

i just don't wanna deal with statics, dynamics or any of that crap at all...i was even thinking about going to petroleum engineering untill my dad told me it's worse than MEC lol.

Fast forward to January 2010:

might as well update this/

i am done with mechanical Engineering. one of the worst Programmes ever, and the teachers there are all pricks and don't even know how to speak proper english. i hope the whole fuckin building go on fire.

My idiot insructor gave me 47% for my Autocad/Drafting(mec 143) and they refused to pass me the course. as that being said that means i have to go to school for 3 years. i don't wanna do that. if i am going for 3 years might as well go with somthing i really enjoy/want to do.

i need Help!!!! seriously i am so lost rightnow i just came here to vent, i feel completly like shit, and i want to cry this pisses me off. FML

i would like to stay in Engineering but i don't want to go threw the same shit, some of the stuff that i've been thinking about lately:
So i have a big decision to make, I have interest in all of these.

-Avionics Technician
-Chemical Technologist
-Computer Network Administrator
-Machinist
-Petroleum Engineering Technologist

chkolny541
01-15-2010, 01:52 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

FiveFreshFish
01-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Shit, I thought you crashed your car! j/k

Have you considered electrical or geomatics engineering?

dino_martini
01-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Dope7
01-15-2010, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Shit, I thought you crashed your car! j/k

Have you considered electrical or geomatics engineering?

I hate circit boards. :bigpimp: :guns:

kevie88
01-15-2010, 02:00 AM
Don't worry man, some of us are not cut out for the things we want to do.. were you pushed into this path by family, or is it something you wanted to do?

What are you most interested in? What is your passion? Maybe you need to look down that path instead?

All is not lost.. a few years of your life is nothing in the long run. Try to see the big picture.

xxviet
01-15-2010, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini

No no no:

Not across the street
Not down the highway
but...

across the jugular.

what happens if you drift across the high way then exit onto 16th for some mc donalds?

Dope7
01-15-2010, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by kevie88
Don't worry man, some of us are not cut out for the things we want to do.. were you pushed into this path by family, or is it something you wanted to do?

What are you most interested in? What is your passion? Maybe you need to look down that path instead?

All is not lost.. a few years of your life is nothing in the long run. Try to see the big picture.

actually Maybe my family talked me into it ine the beginning but then they told me do whatever you want. i though it's gonna Involve dealing with cars mostly, but i was completley Wrong. also not to mention the Instructores are all asshole and made me wait/go to school for like 2weeks because when i came back from Christmas break they asked for my MEC143 Assignments for further assessment, Resulting in passing MEC143. but after i wated and went to classes they told me i am not going to pass it and i have to re-take it again. and that will lead me for not being able to take Introduction to Design in second semster(now). :(

Zephyr
01-15-2010, 02:15 AM
I went through 3 years of Mechanical Engineering program at a top 15 engineering school down here (California Polytechnic) and wow I regret wasting 3 years of my life on that. If you can't get Statics, then get out of that program. That's a major filter class that separates those who really can be an engineer and those who can't, and dynamics won't be any easier. Our program down here was the same with the instructors, full on assholes that were bitter about what they went through so they punish their students, and a lot of students that go through the program end up with no lives, worse than WoW players. Plus it was a major sausage fest. Right now I'm about to finish my double major in International Business, and school has been a lot less stressful.

Electrical is probably the only one that I know of that doesn't have Statics. Our programs down here require all Civil, Mechanical, Architect, and Aerospace to go through Statics. I'm not too sure about Chemical.

Really consider doing a major that you will actually enjoy. Stressing over a stupid homework assignment that will probably take three hours to do one problem is really not worth it, unless you love stress. Even stepping outside engineering might not be a bad idea, just don't waste time doing something that makes you depressed/stressed/angry/confused/etc.

Dope7
01-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr
I went through 3 years of Mechanical Engineering program at a top 15 engineering school down here (California Polytechnic) and wow I regret wasting 3 years of my life on that. If you can't get Statics, then get out of that program. That's a major filter class that separates those who really can be an engineer and those who can't, and dynamics won't be any easier. Our program down here was the same with the instructors, full on assholes that were bitter about what they went through so they punish their students, and a lot of students that go through the program end up with no lives, worse than WoW players. Plus it was a major sausage fest. Right now I'm about to finish my double major in International Business, and school has been a lot less stressful.

Electrical is probably the only one that I know of that doesn't have Statics. Our programs down here require all Civil, Mechanical, Architect, and Aerospace to go through Statics. I'm not too sure about Chemical.

Really consider doing a major that you will actually enjoy. Stressing over a stupid homework assignment that will probably take three hours to do one problem is really not worth it, unless you love stress. Even stepping outside engineering might not be a bad idea, just don't waste time doing something that makes you depressed/stressed/angry/confused/etc.

i agree about the sausagefest part. we only had one decent chick and she was overated and werido lol.

To be honest, i love cars. i want to be working on cars all day. but i don't wanna be a greasemonkey working with oil and dirt all day. and i love Planes that's why i mentioned avionics, i read about it and it's mostly related to Fixing and working on Electrical and NAV systems on planes. which is badass. :poosie:

Zephyr
01-15-2010, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Dope7

i agree about the sausagefest part. we only had one decent chick and she was overated and werido lol.

To be honest, i love cars. i want to be working on cars all day. but i don't wanna be a greasemonkey working with oil and dirt all day. and i love Planes that's why i mentioned avionics, i read about it and it's mostly related to Fixing and working on Electrical and NAV systems on planes. which is badass. :poosie:

Don't you guys have trade schools for that? We have that and it's like a 12 or 16 month program, something like that and they are certified to do that once completed.

I've heard so many people go "Oh I love cars so I'll be an engineer" and yet all of them don't even know how to remove a simple bolt on a car, or let alone change a fuse or oil change, kind of sad.

Dope7
01-15-2010, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr

Don't you guys have trade schools for that? We have that and it's like a 12 or 16 month program, something like that and they are certified to do that once completed.

I've heard so many people go "Oh I love cars so I'll be an engineer" and yet all of them don't even know how to remove a simple bolt on a car, or let alone change a fuse or oil change, kind of sad.

hahah i agree. Mostly forced by their parents or just want to make lots of Money....

i was actually a Mechanical Engineer Technologist. Just a diploma..... yah it's called apprenticeship. but like as i said, i don't wanna be a greasmonkey :rofl:

shakalaka
01-15-2010, 02:39 AM
Well buddy seems like that you still haven't figured what you actually want to do with your life, since you seem all confused. Perhaps it's time you figure that out first and then move towards that career path?

Dope7
01-15-2010, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Well buddy seems like that you still haven't figured what you actually want to do with your life, since you seem all confused. Perhaps it's time you figure that out first and then move towards that career path?

Thats about right, i came here to seek some help with that. i my self want somthing not to easy and not really stupid hard, and you get paid Really well( be able to own a house/ nice car) and maybe save up in the future.

dirtsniffer
01-15-2010, 03:02 AM
if you do what you are good at and enjoy, the money will follow. If you search out money happiness will be hard to find..
that is advice i was given before going back to school

Power_Of_Rotary
01-15-2010, 03:11 AM
when you dedicated your effort and time to a specific field and not being able to complete it really kicks in hard.

i dont know what else to suggest but think of alternative roots before plunging any deeper in something you might not finish.

i feel your pain bro

Dope7
01-15-2010, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
if you do what you are good at and enjoy, the money will follow. If you search out money happiness will be hard to find..
that is advice i was given before going back to school

argh greasmonkey her i come? :poosie:

cancer man
01-15-2010, 07:01 AM
Do some landscaping and adopt a dog.
Walks and a lick and working with dirt can't beat it.
Then one night you'll have a revelation and know what to do.
Stress relief.

HiTempguy1
01-15-2010, 08:21 AM

argh greasmonkey her i come? :poosie:

Most people who LOVE cars do not work on them for a living. Especially if you are just some regular ol' journeyman, doin the 8-5 at a dealership, you get to fix the retarded shit on people's cars. :dunno:

You had previously mentioned instrumentation, and then dropped it from your list. I am in my last term at NAIT in the technology diploma program. It is... interesting. If I would have known completely what it was about before getting into it, I might not have and would have went with Mechanical. I also took my first year of an engineering degree, so Mechanical probably would have been just fine. The NAIT instrumentation instructors (well, 75% of them) are fantastic! I personally view instrumentation (at the moment) as two things:

1)They basically try to convince you that you will be working in Fort Mac. FUCK. THAT. NOISE.

2)That everybody essentially works for contracting firms. Once again. FUCK. THAT. NOISE.

I went in looking to get job security and benefits, money in hand be damned, preferably while working in Edmonton or lower in Alberta. And it will probably happen, I just gotta work at it. I did NOT go into this job to be replacing valves up in Fort Mac in -40*C weather.

Now don't get me wrong, I am cool with paying my dues, but I'm not doing that for 5 years. I just won't, which may limit me, but at some point (which is interesting to note you may be at this point, as in making a decision you want to for yourself) you have to go with what you want to be happy.

Anywho, hope that helps. Oh, one more thing, you never mentioned how old you are (I think)? If you are below the age of 25, take a year off, earn some cash, relax, and actually study programs you are interested in. Job shadow MULTIPLE people. Find what you want to do. If the diploma you look at has a similiar trade associated with it, work a job in that field.

shakalaka
01-15-2010, 10:44 AM
All I got to say is don't run after success or money man. Simply just do what you love, enjoy and where your passion lies and success and money will just follow you. Look for contentment not big pay cheques. As cliched as this sounds, its very true.

n1zm0
01-15-2010, 11:26 AM

I hate circit boards. :bigpimp: :guns:

if you hate PCBs you'll hate the school part of avionics and bench testing/overhaul, chasing volts and current across a PCB = :thumbsdow imo

once you get out tho, the world opens up to a degree or so, i told myself i'd never do gdamned benchwork when i was done AXT at sait (disliked it a fair bit), straight installs/function check inspections only until i was older and wanted to sit at the test bench all day instead of cram myself and my tools under the instrument panel or into the 'hell holes' of certain unnamed A/C. But ended up doing the maintenance portion so got more than i wished for.

Depending on what you choose to do and where, Avionics is almost all troubleshooting first, installation second (easier part imo), so if you get a good grasp on how each system works in basic form it's not too bad and if you do start doing contract stuff you can rake in a good amount of $$$.

And i might be taking your comments wrong but if you think you'll be all 'clean' working on avionics all day i have news for you.. ;)

revelations
01-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Get/loan a dummies book called "cool careers".

It supposed to be a forward-looking career guidance book, ie jobs that will be hot in the long run.

Yea, everyone knows you cant go wrong with a degree in IT (or maybe you can?), but there will be other specialty niches that will pop up within the mainstream roles that will require skilled people.

revelations
01-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Oh and drop anything to do with aircraft unless you hate your life.... :nut: (jk, its not THAT bad)

Machinist... you have to be really good to make it anywhere and its hard standing at the same spot all the time.

Dumbass17
01-15-2010, 03:03 PM
do what you like, don't chase money.

i went to school, got a diploma in Civil Eng Tech (i didn't know wtf else to do and was sick of working on the rigs) then got a job drafting. did that for a year, got bored. am currently working as a bridge technologist, it's good when we're busy but i wanna die when it's slow (ie, the last 5 months)

and TRUST me, if you are miserable/unhappy at work, it will effect your personal life big time. i was miserable at my old job and it took it's toll on my personal life. i dreading going to work everyday and it just wasn't for me.

and currently this new job is boring me. i think I'm done. i don't know what i want to do. hence, why i'm taking off to australia for a year lol.

my advice, work a job for a year, save up 10g and go travel.
screw the typical career, gf, knocked up, sadness, kids, die, routine.

gretz
01-15-2010, 03:15 PM
^^ +1

stick to what you like, or you're always going to be depressed. Look at your hobbies and see if any can be related to a career choice. Mech Eng. is a hard cousre because it is taught by engineers lol...If its not perfect or clsoe to, chances are you did poorly overall lol...

r0g3r
01-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
do what you like, don't chase money.

i went to school, got a diploma in Civil Eng Tech (i didn't know wtf else to do and was sick of working on the rigs) then got a job drafting. did that for a year, got bored. am currently working as a bridge technologist, it's good when we're busy but i wanna die when it's slow (ie, the last 5 months)

and TRUST me, if you are miserable/unhappy at work, it will effect your personal life big time. i was miserable at my old job and it took it's toll on my personal life. i dreading going to work everyday and it just wasn't for me.

and currently this new job is boring me. i think I'm done. i don't know what i want to do. hence, why i'm taking off to australia for a year lol.

my advice, work a job for a year, save up 10g and go travel.
screw the typical career, gf, knocked up, sadness, kids, die, routine.

is your name luke? and by any chance do you work for Carmacks?

your story is the exact same as somebody i worked with.

Mibz
01-15-2010, 03:58 PM
I stopped reading after this so I may be echoing somebody else, but:

if i am going for 3 years might as well go with somthing i really enjoy/want to do. No.
If you're going to post-secondary AT ALL then you might as well go with something you really enjoy. Why the FUCK would you spend money training in a career you aren't passionate about?

Dumbass17
01-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I stopped reading after this so I may be echoing somebody else, but:
No.
If you're going to post-secondary AT ALL then you might as well go with something you really enjoy. Why the FUCK would you spend money training in a career you aren't passionate about?
true, but it's hard to know if you'll like it after you get a career. you may be passionate about something, go tos chool, work a year and BAM, hate your job.

Originally posted by r0g3r

is your name luke? and by any chance do you work for Carmacks?

your story is the exact same as somebody i worked with.
i should say yes just to mess with you but no, it is not

wait, is your name Darth?

S13_Ryan
01-15-2010, 06:13 PM
i think that if you ended up getting a 47% in your course at NAIT you have nobody to blame but yourself for the lack of effort. Technical training is retartedly easy and IMO catered to help even the people that struggled in highschool pass with great marks.

i think before you consider anything new and spend the thousands of dollars it takes to get through a course you need to work on yourself and figure out better ways to manage and balance the things you have going on in your life with what you end up studying in school.

People these days are always way too quick to place blame on somebody else when they fuck up.

thinmyster
01-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by S13_Ryan
i think that if you ended up getting a 47% in your course at NAIT you have nobody to blame but yourself for the lack of effort. Technical training is retartedly easy and IMO catered to help even the people that struggled in highschool pass with great marks.

i think before you consider anything new and spend the thousands of dollars it takes to get through a course you need to work on yourself and figure out better ways to manage and balance the things you have going on in your life with what you end up studying in school.

People these days are always way too quick to place blame on somebody else when they fuck up.

I was just going to say the same thing. Thanks for saving me the extra 5-10 mins. I think its time you go back a rededicate yourself. Example, I have never been a math person either but last summer i took three math courses at u of c, calculus, calculus 2 and linear algebra and passed them all by spending ~8+ hours at school in class or studying alone. Not the funnest time of my life. I made pretty big sacrifices for those months but I can honestly say i tried my best.

I think looking back on your schooling you could say you could/should have done more

*gets off his high hose*

Dope7
01-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Ok for the all people telling me i am Dump/ Don't study.

i actually had 8 courses First semster, and yes i won't lie i was busy with the Ex-gf in the Beginning but i worked really hard, even my old People told they never saw me working really hard and putting lots of effort like this before lol. and i did Calculs and i got a makr of B- in it. Even my Autocad insructor told me i was doing fine, but i picked up "late".

thanks for the Advice outhere, and keep the Ideas comming.

also The instrumentation engineering and Avionics deal with statics? i might have to challenge this piece of shit course and be done with it.

HungryJack
01-15-2010, 07:28 PM
I think the best advice you could be given here is to get some remedial English training. Your English is shite, could be why you're having difficulties understanding?

Dumbass17
01-15-2010, 08:12 PM
lol

we never called you dump

Dope7
01-16-2010, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by HungryJack
I think the best advice you could be given here is to get some remedial English training. Your English is shite, could be why you're having difficulties understanding?

Great advice.

do you think i really care if you don't like my typing? also i know i type like a 5 year old. but it's cool. :D :rofl:

and after reading my last post, i agree with you lmao. that didn't make any sense at all lol.

oh well, Sorry there. :werd: :rofl: