PDA

View Full Version : Painter recommendations

91Accord
01-15-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm looking at having my kitchen painted. Any recommendation on interior painters? What's the ballpark cost these days?

Tomaz
01-15-2010, 12:03 PM
"ATTENTION Painting" :rofl:

Serious response:

I have heard great things about Action Painting. I do my all painting, but I have had a few friends use them. I am sure they will give you a quote.

Most companies will quote for the entire sq.ft. of the wall to be painted INCLUDING WINDOWS as this will factor for time/materials to cover and tape off certain areas.

Happy painter hunting! :thumbsup:

masoncgy
01-15-2010, 03:41 PM
PM'd...

bignerd
01-16-2010, 02:13 AM
You won't do it yourself? Its not that hard, tape everything off(ceiling, windows, baseboards, cabinets),, remove outlet/light switch covers, cut in around the edges twice and paint two coats... I painted my living room and kitchen in one day.

Painting the interior of your house, especially the kitchen is so easy I would never pay someone to do it (The only time I would pay them is maybe over the stairs where it is open and two stories tall...).

Few rolls of painters tape, couple of rollers and a handle, paint brush or two, paint tray, maybe a drop cloth and the cost of the paint is all you would have. And if you buy good brushes and a good roller you can use the quite a few times.

91Accord
01-16-2010, 10:22 AM
There is lots of nooks and crannys and tight areas. I'd rather pay someone to do the work for me.

CUG
01-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by bignerd

Few rolls of painters tape, couple of rollers and a handle, paint brush or two, paint tray, maybe a drop cloth and the cost of the paint is all you would have. And if you buy good brushes and a good roller you can use the quite a few times. This is why your paint job looks like total shit and the reason your friends don't pay you compliments on it. Painters tape? A few rolls for a living room and kitchen? That's a bit excessive, bro :rofl:

quazimoto
01-16-2010, 02:12 PM
LOL painters tape for ceilings and windows? Buy a decent brush and use a steady hand that's how they do it. Not to mention buy pre-painted baseboards it'll make your life 10x easier. Painters tape is nothing more than a pain in the ass. I really only use it on the floors to make sure I don't get any paint there. For the ceilings I just cut in nice and smoothly and take my time, same thing with the baseboards, window trim, etc.

In all seriousness it's not hard to do it yourself. If you call a painting company you'll be spending likely more than it's really worth it. Make sure you REQUEST a minimum two coat application regardless of what the paint says. I know some companies will try to give you this crap how it's one coat paint but the 1 coat paint never ever looks solid.

CUG
01-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by quazimoto
LOL painters tape for ceilings and windows? Buy a decent brush and use a steady hand that's how they do it. Not to mention buy pre-painted baseboards it'll make your life 10x easier. Painters tape is nothing more than a pain in the ass. I really only use it on the floors to make sure I don't get any paint there. For the ceilings I just cut in nice and smoothly and take my time, same thing with the baseboards, window trim, etc.

In all seriousness it's not hard to do it yourself. If you call a painting company you'll be spending likely more than it's really worth it. Make sure you REQUEST a minimum two coat application regardless of what the paint says. I know some companies will try to give you this crap how it's one coat paint but the 1 coat paint never ever looks solid. I've never understood how they could do business like that. It would be awkward as the owner/sales guy that after the job was done, it wasn't done "well it's only one coat" Goddamn.
*****5 Star Painting, $99.00 a room! Yeah, right.

How would you even tape a ceiling off? That's kind of nuts..

bignerd
01-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by CUG
This is why your paint job looks like total shit and the reason your friends don't pay you compliments on it. Painters tape? A few rolls for a living room and kitchen? That's a bit excessive, bro :rofl:

Originally posted by quazimoto

Sorry I am not as "Pro" as you. My house looks fine and I could care less if my friends paid me compliments on how my walls were painted. (If the coverage is even, you can't see any rollermarks and there are no drips I am not sure what more you want??) I am happy knowing that I didn't have to pay someone to do something simple like roll paint on a vertical surface. And I only suggested tape to the OP as it sounds like he is not very much of a do-it-your-selfer if he is looking to hire someone to paint a kitchen.

And why would you buy pre-painted baseboard? Do you replace your baseboard every time you paint? I've painted our bedroom at least 4 times since owning our house, I would much rather trim or tape off the baseboard than take it off each time and re-install.

I saw a "professional" paint our office once and they didn't even remove the light switches or receptacle covers, just cut around them, I don't know but that bugged me.

CUG
01-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by bignerd

Sorry I am not as "Pro" as you. My house looks fine and I could care less if my friends paid me compliments on how my walls were painted. (If the coverage is even, you can't see any rollermarks and there are no drips I am not sure what more you want??) I am happy knowing that I didn't have to pay someone to do something simple like roll paint on a vertical surface. And I only suggested tape to the OP as it sounds like he is not very much of a do-it-your-selfer if he is looking to hire someone to paint a kitchen.

And why would you buy pre-painted baseboard? Do you replace your baseboard every time you paint? I've painted our bedroom at least 4 times since owning our house, I would much rather trim or tape off the baseboard than take it off each time and re-install.

I saw a "professional" paint our office once and they didn't even remove the light switches or receptacle covers, just cut around them, I don't know but that bugged me. You either paint the base before putting it on, or you buy it painted. It's the ONLY way to do things. I've never in my life seen someone do a good job of painting baseboards that are installed and bare wood.

I was razzing you because you can't really tape a stipple ceiling.. you can, but it's not good. Tape looks like ass at the best of times. I use it so infrequently now that I have a huge surplus of it. Some people can paint and it's easy to them, some people just cannot under and circumstances make a wall look good. I've done insurance work for the past year and hired multiple multiple helpers who were sure they could paint like a pro, and they've all cost me time and money that wasn't worth it.

It's a "thing".

bignerd
01-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Oh you mean if you have no baseboards, yes I would paint those before installing. I thought you meant that you just took them off every time and replaced them instead of cutting or trimming in around them when painting....

Antonito
01-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I've done insurance work for the past year and hired multiple multiple helpers who were sure they could paint like a pro, and they've all cost me time and money that wasn't worth it.

It's a "thing".

Do you have any experience?

"Yeah, I helped my Dad paint some houses a couple of summers ago, so I'm pretty good"

This statement here will drop the starting wage to sub-helper levels

CUG
01-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

Do you have any experience?

"Yeah, I helped my Dad paint some houses a couple of summers ago, so I'm pretty good"

This statement here will drop the starting wage to sub-helper levels I got a couple of those, but no. Mostly it was "Pssh, I used to own a painting company" so I give them a whirl, and find out why they "used" to own a painting company. "I've got 10 years experience, don't even ask me this BS" <-Them Me-> "Then get the fuck out of my face, goof". etc. I don't care if someone takes a bit longer, as long as it's perfect afterwards.

masoncgy
01-16-2010, 10:54 PM
I actually recommend using a good quality tape when it comes to painting around the cabinets in places where the joints are in plain view... you want a nice, crisp edge where the cabinets meet the drywall, otherwise it looks cheap.

Some people don't 'cut' good either... those lines need to be straight. A good quality tape, applied properly, will give a clean edge every time, so it's ideal for those who don't have a ton of experience.

I am super picky when it comes to clean edges, so I will take the few moments and tape certain lines to make sure my product is perfect. ;)

CUG
01-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy
I actually recommend using a good quality tape when it comes to painting around the cabinets in places where the joints are in plain view... you want a nice, crisp edge where the cabinets meet the drywall, otherwise it looks cheap.

Some people don't 'cut' good either... those lines need to be straight. A good quality tape, applied properly, will give a clean edge every time, so it's ideal for those who don't have a ton of experience.

I am super picky when it comes to clean edges, so I will take the few moments and tape certain lines to make sure my product is perfect. ;) I doubt you use multiple rolls or tape per room though :thumbsup:

91Accord
01-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks everyone for the discussion. I have the information I need now.

masoncgy
01-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I doubt you use multiple rolls or tape per room though :thumbsup:

hahaha... no, I can't remember the last time I bought a new roll... it's been a long time, and I'm constantly busy painting.

ExtraSlow
01-18-2010, 04:01 PM
This is kind of on topic. Anyone have reccomendations for type of paint needed in a bathroom? My bathroom doesn't have good airflow, even with the vent fan running, so the walls get a lot of condensation on them, and it's starting to leave marks.

Probably need a pro to paint this for me, as I'm a terrible painter, and this room has a skylight well that would drive me nuts. So open to painter suggestions as well.

masoncgy
01-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Anyone have reccomendations for type of paint needed in a bathroom? My bathroom doesn't have good airflow, even with the vent fan running, so the walls get a lot of condensation on them, and it's starting to leave marks.

You'll want to use a good quality 'kitchen & bath' specific paint that is designed to encounter high humidity. I would also recommend a good quality primer that is suited for the same situation.

If you need any other info, shoot me a PM! :)

quazimoto
01-18-2010, 05:11 PM
If you are getting that much condensation seriously replace the fan the last thing you want/need is mold damage.

ExtraSlow
01-18-2010, 05:19 PM
I am planning on replacing the ceiling fan with a higher power model as well. That's a good point.

masoncgy
01-18-2010, 05:21 PM
^ Sometimes it cannot be avoided... even with a high power exhaust fan.

This is especially true in bathrooms that are small in size... where you basically have a short, two-door vanity with sink, toilet next to it and then a tub/shower combo, leaving very little room for anything else... a hot shower will steam up the room quick.

EDIT:
Definitely check the fan though and replace as necessary... I would still recommend a specific kitchen & bath paint overtop of a quality primer.

afrotl
12-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Bringing back an old thread...need a painter for after Christmas any recommendations. I only need one wall painted

InRich
12-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Call Reborn Kitchens, they specialize in this shit and will give you a good price 466 RENO