PDA

View Full Version : Haha, Total Scam!

funkytuqe
01-15-2010, 05:38 PM
So i was perusing the local Bargin finder (buysell.com) and came across a 2006 Mazdaspeed for sale for an astounding price of $4000 (here they go for 20K). My first thought is waaaaay too good to be true. But i thought what the heck and responded to the add.

Here is the add.

006 MAZDA MAZDASPEED 6 2006 MAZDA MAZDASPEED 6 I need to sell real fast, due to a personal crisis, so the price is amazingly low. please contact me and you will be able to test the car. It has 98000 km, manual transmission and all wheel drive.Grand Touring Edition with credit card sized keyless remote. I have all the maintenance records for the car. $4,000.00. obo.
Link:http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/C...06+Import+Cars

This is the reply i got

I am pleased to receive your email in reply to my advertisement regarding the 2006 Mazda Speed 6 , for sale at the price of 4,000.00 CAD.
The car is in a very good condition, with absolutely no problems. It looks and it runs great. It has 100 000 km, and it was well taken care of (garaged, periodically serviced and professionally verified). Please rest assured that you will have no problems to register the car in your name, as all the necessary papers for the registration process will be made available for you.
For the sake of accuracy I have to tell you that I am currently out of Canada due to my recent divorce. However this will not affect our transaction. The car is still in Canada, stored at the shipping company, waiting to be delivered to your address for a 5 days testing period (with no obligation to buy). The shipping will be free of charge for you, of course.
I know that my car will meet your requirements and I hope that I will soon do business with you. It will be a pleasure for me to provide further
details if you are still interested.
PS: I would greatly appreciate a prompt reply!

HAHA WTF, are you serious? I have never seen this before, is this a common scam these days?

InLoveWitRSX
01-15-2010, 05:44 PM
yeah dude, this has been around for about a million years.

n1zm0
01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
this 'i'm out of the country but willing to sell to you via money transfer' thing has been going on for a few years now, no surprise, i saw an ad about 3 years ago and ran to the bank to get $4500 for a USDM imported IS300, my email asking for address was never responded to and the ad had been promptly taken down (like half an hour later in canadatrader), old news mang

but from the reply, its saying you can 'test' the car out for 5 days free of charge? tell him to ship it to your house then say you're 'not interested' after

Masked Bandit
01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Welcome to 1993!

CTSV
01-16-2010, 12:14 AM
My personal favorite is the same ads on kijiji all across Canada. You would think the people doing these would at least ask 75% of the actual value of the car. $3000 for a 2004 BMW just screams scam to me.

shakalaka
01-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Just tell him sure ship it to me with no obligation to buy for a testing period. Don't give any money, bank details or anything like that.

I don't see how they can scam you outta your money then?

kamatayan
01-16-2010, 12:47 AM
wonder if I can get a loan for this from the government... .. . :rolleyes:

Takamine
01-16-2010, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by InLoveWitRSX
yeah dude, this has been around for about a million years.

lol smartass ;-)

Ya I remember my friend getting a very similar email when he responded to an ad for a $8000 NSX...

methodicreign
01-16-2010, 09:07 AM
I especially love the I would love to buy your vehicle, but I am in europe on a business trip. It'll be a birthday presant for my husband. Please give me your SIN number and full name so I can western union you the money. I guess too many people caught on to the selling cheap cars scam. Seller beware too

scat19
01-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Other than a hand coming out of your monitor and hitting you... how else does it NOT scream scam? lmao

gqmw
01-16-2010, 01:48 PM
There's about a million of those on kijiji/autotrader/buysell whatever.

colt22
01-16-2010, 03:01 PM
The real question is even if it is 0.4% success that these scammers or scamming organizations experience, who could dumb enough to go through with the transfer of funds?
I'm sure someone has at some point.

BlackArcher101
01-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Scam? No shit sherlock.

I can't believe this is still new to some.

Scourge
01-17-2010, 02:34 AM
I think the ridiculously low prices are due to general lack of knowledge of what money is worth in these third world countries (Nigeria, Philippines, etc).

But yeah, someone must have fallen for these if they continue to happen. If there was a 0% success rate, do you think they'd continue with this?

Anyway, www.ebolamonkeyman.com has tons of hiliarious pranks done to these scammers. Fun read when you're bored. They even get pics of the scammers. :D

methodicreign
01-17-2010, 11:40 AM
I even like the calls from third party "brokers" I'll sell your car for you and gaurentee full asking price for a fee of 500$, and for an additional 150$ you can get the insurance option, meaning if we don't sell your car within 90 days you get 75% of the fee back in cash. I got that call 4 times when i sold my truck and twice when I had the S2 up for sale. I told them they could have the 500$ no problem, but they could only take it from the final sale price. Then came the we need it up front arguement, I told them to go scam someone else, they said it was legit, I followed that with "if your so sure you can sell it, and have such a high sucess record, then taking the money after the sale should be a no brainer for someone like you," they followed that by hanging up.
this is a pretty old scam, but the insurance option is pretty new to me, A little piece of rip-off evolution for you.
now you can run and tell your friends, hey darwin was right afterall