PDA

View Full Version : No expansion gap in hardwood install?!?

UndrgroundRider
01-16-2010, 02:26 AM
My parents had hardwood installed throughout their house last year. I was over today taking a look at it, since I'm considering a DIY hardwood or laminate installation. The contractors butted the hardwood planks right up against the tile in the kitchen on one side and the fireplace hearth on the other. There is zero expansion gap, and no quarter round or anything. Even the transition from the hardwood to the tile is just end to end, there is no t-moulding like you would expect.

I thought the gap had to be left on all sides at every point. Am I missing something? And if I'm not, how come their boards aren't popping up left right and centre? (literally)

sxtasy
01-16-2010, 02:41 AM
expansion is usually due to moisture or humidity. Not usually a problem in Calgary.

barmanjay
01-16-2010, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by sxtasy
expansion is usually due to moisture or humidity. Not usually a problem in Calgary.

you mean uncontrolled humidity

if you have hardwood, your humidity level should be set at about 20-30% (iirc)

if it dries out, the boards will shrink and gaps will form; too humid, boards will over expand/buckle

If around the fireplace hearth is tight, it might be ok if it's only a 5ft span and the rest that is against the wall has a minimum 3/8" expansion gap

C_Dave45
01-16-2010, 11:18 AM
To the OP; I think you're confusing two different types of hardwood installation. Laminate or some engineered hardwood is installed over a foam pad, making it a "floating floor". With this, you need a gap at every transition, covered by some sort of "t-cap". Sand-on-site or pre-finished 3/4" hardwood is glued and nailed directly onto the 5/8th's sub-floor. While there is a certain amount of movement due to humidity, you can go tight to any transition. ie: tile. The hardwood is always installed tight to the tile with this method of install. Usually just a thin "Schluter" strip between tile and hardwood. (which is installed with the tile).

UndrgroundRider
01-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
To the OP; I think you're confusing two different types of hardwood installation. Laminate or some engineered hardwood is installed over a foam pad, making it a "floating floor". With this, you need a gap at every transition, covered by some sort of "t-cap". Sand-on-site or pre-finished 3/4" hardwood is glued and nailed directly onto the 5/8th's sub-floor. While there is a certain amount of movement due to humidity, you can go tight to any transition. ie: tile. The hardwood is always installed tight to the tile with this method of install. Usually just a thin "Schluter" strip between tile and hardwood. (which is installed with the tile).

No I was talking about stapled hardwood floors. All sources I have found on the internet say to leave 3/8" to 3/4" expansion gap. In fact they say that solid hardwood expands more than engineered hardwood, which expands more than laminate.

I think sxtasy is right, that it's not as big of a deal in Calgary due to it being pretty dry here year round. Which is really good to know, because I think attaching quarter round mouldings around cabinets and stairs looks tacky.

C_Dave45
01-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider

No I was talking about stapled hardwood floors. All sources I have found on the internet say to leave 3/8" to 3/4" expansion gap. In fact they say that solid hardwood expands more than engineered hardwood, which expands more than laminate.

I think sxtasy is right, that it's not as big of a deal in Calgary due to it being pretty dry here year round. Which is really good to know, because I think attaching quarter round mouldings around cabinets and stairs looks tacky.

Ah ok. Well that's the problem with looking up info on the internet. Some great information can be found, but not always accurate. Solid hardwood is never kept 3/8" to 3/4" away from cabinets or flooring transitions. Its just not done. I've been in the flooring business for 28 yrs both in Alberta and BC, and hardwood is installed the same in both places. Low humidity (here) is just as bad as high humidity (BC) so the location really doesn't affect installation methods. Hardwood has to be "acclimatized" once delivered inside the home for a couple of days before its installed. Installers will always leave a gap like that against all perimeter walls, where the gap is covered by baseboard after the hardwood is installed, but nowhere else.
This is a properly installed hardwood floor. Notice the zero gap between tile and HW...the base on the wall is covering the 3/8 to 3/4 gap against the drywall, but thats the only place that has gaps.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/07a0d77b.jpg