PDA

View Full Version : Easy/beginner 4x4 trails in Southern AB?

Tuner1
01-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Hey Off-Road guys,

I haven't done much true off-road driving (yet) but I would love to find some safe/easy "destination" trails in southern Alberta.

Can anyone recommend some good trails that are accessible in a mostly stock Toyota 4x4 (with good A/T tires) that lead to an interesting destination? I.e. to the top of a lookout, to a nice lake, or from point-to-point like a mini Rubicon Trail :wink:

Obviously the snow will limit the options right now but I could at least start planning for the spring.

Advice :confused:

Thanks

2BLUE
01-16-2010, 04:53 PM
The crowsnest pass would be your best bet. Starting on logging roads with dugouts and tight places are the best bet. You won't beable to get to the good trails till may. Look up a town called corbin bc. follow the road straight south to the usa border.

civic_stylez
01-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Rob, head out to chain lakes... there are some really nice roads and trails that go through there.. amazing look out past the indian graves area.... its not too far away so if you want to test the runner out its a good place to start. I can email you some pics of the black beast out there if you want.

CelicaST-162
01-17-2010, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Tuner1
Hey Off-Road guys,

I haven't done much true off-road driving (yet) but I would love to find some safe/easy "destination" trails in southern Alberta.

Can anyone recommend some good trails that are accessible in a mostly stock Toyota 4x4 (with good A/T tires) that lead to an interesting destination? I.e. to the top of a lookout, to a nice lake, or from point-to-point like a mini Rubicon Trail :wink:

Obviously the snow will limit the options right now but I could at least start planning for the spring.

Advice :confused:

Thanks

Waiparous, Margaret Lake. Very nice destination, very quiet lake. Details on your Toyota:)

Tuner1
01-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! This is a big help!

Are any of these trails doable in the winter?

Please feel free to offer up more trail and destination suggestions.

Details on your Toyota :)

1997 Land Cruiser with a small lift and bigger tires. If I really catch the "4x4 bug" I will add a front bumper, winch, sliders, etc. We'll see... :nut:

CelicaST-162
01-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Tuner1
Thanks for the advice guys! This is a big help!

Are any of these trails doable in the winter?

Please feel free to offer up more trail and destination suggestions.

1997 Land Cruiser with a small lift and bigger tires. If I really catch the "4x4 bug" I will add a front bumper, winch, sliders, etc. We'll see... :nut:

Waiparous is an easy trail ride in the summer, sometimes almost boring. However, in the winter time it makes everything a little more interesting. Having another truck helps:D I'll tell you this, I started off in cars, bought my parts for my Aristo from you guys actually! Join CT4WD, and you'll catch the bug like I did very fast!

Vic

aristocrat
01-18-2010, 12:20 AM
So jealous of your LC.

Nufy
01-18-2010, 10:12 AM
I would try any Side Street in Calgary for the next few weeks.

:)