PDA

View Full Version : Where Can I Shoot My Rifle Around Calgary?

Thomas Gabriel
01-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Just got my first rifle and I'm looking to find a place to target shoot. Outdoor, with 100 yards is all I need. Preferably not a range. It seems everyone who hunts has connections with farmers, and I don't really want to go around knocking on farmer's doors.

sxtasy
01-16-2010, 03:37 PM
NE?

YamahaV8
01-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
NE?

This is getting old.

BlackArcher101
01-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by YamahaV8

This is getting old.

No, not really.

TimeAttack
01-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
No, not really.

x2

garyb
01-16-2010, 03:49 PM

No, not really.

x3, hate hate hate

TDFTW
01-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Yo man come up to whitehorn. You can shoot at the park across my street. Fit right in with neighbors lol

Thomas Gabriel
01-16-2010, 04:04 PM
It's a .22 so it will only be lethal to asians anyways!

Ven
01-16-2010, 04:30 PM
http://albertarifle.com/Images-subs/Map.jpg

Homestead range is fairly close and a very nice place to shoot. There's a public area that's free. 50-500yards IIRC.
The place is constantly in danger of being shut down due to idiots shooting up the signs, benches and barrels. Along with leaving garbage everywhere too. If you shoot out there be responsible about it. If you see someone fucking around, call them on it, the rest of the shooters out there will support you. I've seen a few fools get run out of there for being stupid.

broken_legs
01-16-2010, 05:19 PM
^^^ If you go there, make sure everyone proves their rifle before you walk downrange especially if you're going past 100 yards........ I've seen some pretty funny stuff happen there - And by funny i mean you could get shot.

If you want to be a good range user bring a garbage bag and grab a few pieces of trash before you leave. Almost guaranteed this place will be shut down soon due to abuse, but if people start chipping in, you never know.

Otherwise there is a club north of calgary around olds i believe. 300/year membership and I hear its pretty nice and there is also one in the SE that has an outdoor 100yard range but there is a fee with that one as well.

Finally theres always the Shooting Edge 500/year for half broken lanes and no ventilation.

Thomas Gabriel
01-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys. I will check out Homestead.

One more question - I only need to bring paper targets right?

broken_legs
01-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
Thanks guys. I will check out Homestead.

One more question - I only need to bring paper targets right?

And something to support them, its literally a strip of gravel in the mountains with dugouts at each distance.

You'll have to bring a wooden pallet, or something to staple the targets too unless you want to shoot at the dirt -

Cardboard box works well too (make sure you take it home when youre done!)

legendboy
01-16-2010, 06:18 PM
You can also go out to mclean creek, waiprous or blackrock. any crown land.

C_Dave45
01-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
Just got my first rifle and I'm looking to find a place to target shoot. Outdoor, with 100 yards is all I need. Preferably not a range. It seems everyone who hunts has connections with farmers, and I don't really want to go around knocking on farmer's doors.

Go HERE (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6). Nothing but hunters, trappers and gun enthusiasts around Calgary and Edmonton, and they can point you to all kinds of places as well as anything else you might need to know.

swak
01-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
NE?

I laughed.

Benny
01-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

I knew about waiprous and blackrock, but didn't know mclean was crown land. That's fucking awesome I'm gonna hit up mclean way more this summer haha

HondaKid
01-16-2010, 09:23 PM
When I was a kid in HS, my buddy and I set up a shooting range in his parent's basement. We used to skip school in the afternoons and fire away while the parents were at work and clean it all up before they returned. Let's just say a 22 caliber is "fun", all went to crap when the 308 was tried, those bullets do bounce around and go through just about anything. I will try anything once, which was stupid, twice was even more stupid.

Kids do not try this at home, we never thought about the gas line, furnace, etc running in the same room. Back to playing ping pong and pool we went...

Masked Bandit
01-16-2010, 10:47 PM

No, not really.

x4

Masked Bandit
01-16-2010, 10:49 PM

You might want to double check that. I'm not 100% sure but I really don't think this is the case. I think it's the exact opposite. If you could just shoot anywhere on crown land, why would hunters bother getting permission from farmers?

Ven
01-16-2010, 11:12 PM
You can shoot on any crown land. Be smart about it. Have consideration for safety (yours and OTHERS), and your surroundings. Bring all your papers. Expect to get hassled.

Ven
01-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
....would hunters bother getting permission from farmers?

I suppose if you were hunting the Common Great White Idiot, it would be like fish in a barrel on the crown land around here. If you're actually interested in hunting the furry 4 legged type, it's best to do so in better surroundings such as private land.

http://www.yamaha-rhino-lawyer.com/media/2008/12/yamaha-rhino-rollover.jpg
http://www.nomaltbytrack.org/mx_crash.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RnRejIPRpAY/ShcXexQmV0I/AAAAAAAADhw/WCWygbl-NTA/s400/ATV+Accident.jpg

FraserB
01-16-2010, 11:35 PM

In Mclean there is a pit near the end of fisher East that people always shoot in. If you do go to one of these places please watch out for offroaders, Waiparous and Mclean get very popular starting around May1-Dec 1. Maclean is closed Dec 1-May long weekend

Toilet_D
01-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by HondaKid
When I was a kid in HS, my buddy and I set up a shooting range in his parent's basement. We used to skip school in the afternoons and fire away while the parents were at work and clean it all up before they returned. Let's just say a 22 caliber is "fun", all went to crap when the 308 was tried, those bullets do bounce around and go through just about anything. I will try anything once, which was stupid, twice was even more stupid.

Kids do not try this at home, we never thought about the gas line, furnace, etc running in the same room. Back to playing ping pong and pool we went...

HAHAHAAH, you sir, are lucky to be alive.
and not thrown in jail. a 308 isnt exactly quiet

Abeo
01-17-2010, 06:28 PM

I know at Mclean, you can't. They have signs all over warning about it. And Mclean, Waiprous, and Black Rock are provincial parks, not crown land...