PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Is this worth it?

bdiddy123
01-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Hello,

I don't know much about cars so I'm wondering if this is a good deal. I have a Nissan Versa 2007 model and have had this car for three years now. My warranty expired a few weeks ago and a mechanic offered me extended warranty (bumper-to-bumper) for $2400 for a 5 year period/60,000km.

Is this worth it? Or should I look for a better deal

Thanks!

Weapon_R
01-16-2010, 07:06 PM
A warranty offered by who

bdiddy123
01-16-2010, 07:10 PM
A 3rd party company called "Old Republic Warranty"

turbotrip
01-16-2010, 07:13 PM
u sure its not the scam where they call u at home and offer car warranties?

Kloubek
01-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Be VERY wary of 3rd party warranty places. Investigate to make sure they are legit, have a good track record, and have been around for a while. Then make sure you read ALL the fine print, and check to see what kind of coverage you get, along with what kind of deductable you require.

More often than not, these 3rd party warranties are BS.

tobypaddock
01-16-2010, 07:45 PM
lots of them will pay for parts, but not labour, and u have to take them to their garage or one of their affiliates garages. then they gouge you on labour to make up for the cost of parts... make sure labour and everything is included

anothers10
01-16-2010, 08:20 PM
dont do it

TomcoPDR
01-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by anothers10
dont do it

syritis
01-16-2010, 09:07 PM
i get the same phone call all the time, 3 weeks after i rolled my 2008 truck outta the dealership i started getting automated phone calls saying my warranty has expired, i called bull shit and didn't even think of it any further. there are some "warranty" companies in the states like mogy, but they're more like putting the money in a shared pot and taking it out when you need it. Haven't heard of any of these companies coming to canada though.

PS. i'm still pissed off that toyota sold my cell phone number to a 3rd party.

tobypaddock
01-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by syritis
PS. i'm still pissed off that toyota sold my cell phone number to a 3rd party.

it wasnt toyota, everyone got those calls. i drive a 97 yukon and got those calls... pretty sure the warranty expired around 02

canuckcarguy
01-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Never heard of that warranty company. But if you got it from your mechanic, presumably the shop you go to is an affiliated shop. Ask him what his experience has been with claims.

I'd avoid any warranty company without a good reputation, and also watch for deductibles.

Another option is to return to the dealership where you bought the car and ask them if they can extend the factory warranty, and at what cost.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of warranties, but if your cash flow is such that you can't afford a major repair if one becomes necessary, it's decent insurance against that kind of financial hit.

syritis
01-17-2010, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by tobypaddock

it wasnt toyota, everyone got those calls. i drive a 97 yukon and got those calls... pretty sure the warranty expired around 02

i never got any spam on my cell phone untill i bought the truck, now it's never ending. might be a coincidence but the sister told me that the lease agreement has some fine print in it that they can give my phone number to 3rd party companies, i figured it was so they could contact me for a company or product review but then i got that review online. i don't even remember giving them my e-mail address.

chkolny541
01-17-2010, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by syritis

i never got any spam on my cell phone untill i bought the truck, now it's never ending. might be a coincidence but the sister told me that the lease agreement has some fine print in it that they can give my phone number to 3rd party companies, i figured it was so they could contact me for a company or product review but then i got that review online. i don't even remember giving them my e-mail address.

id call it a coincidence mang, these types of 3rd party warrenty scams just cruise through the phonebook, comepletely random, ive got it twice like a year back, some automated shit. Car is an 01 civic and warrenty ended forever ago

03ozwhip
01-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by bdiddy123
Hello,

I don't know much about cars so I'm wondering if this is a good deal. I have a Nissan Versa 2007 model and have had this car for three years now. My warranty expired a few weeks ago and a mechanic offered me extended warranty (bumper-to-bumper) for $2400 for a 5 year period/60,000km.

Is this worth it? Or should I look for a better deal

Thanks! 2007

brand new nissan only has 3 years warranty??

bulaian
01-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by anothers10
dont do it

A2VR6
01-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

brand new nissan only has 3 years warranty??

he's talking about bumper to bumper its only 3 years where as powertrain is 5 years.

old&slow
01-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Don't do it!