PDA

View Full Version : Next beyond 4X4 Run

aristocrat
01-17-2010, 01:38 AM
So judging by the way the last beyond run went, i think we should start planning something for the spring.
Im thinking something in the end of march beginning of april range.
Location unknown, somewhere WITHOUT snow haha (as we all know how that went for some of us on the last run)
Either way, lets get planning this as the last run took a while to actually get going.
I'm planning on picking up a winch and bumper before we go so i think i will be good to go.

Let's get some ideas going on this.

Alak
01-17-2010, 02:21 AM
Proper tires get you alot further (for alot less) than a winch and bumper :clap:

AliXJ
01-17-2010, 02:39 PM
I would be all over a spring run (or a couple). Somewheres close, Mclean maybe? Keep me posted.

aristocrat
01-17-2010, 02:48 PM
hence why i said srping run haha itll be all nice and melted and muddy. Im not gonna go drop a grand on a set of All-terrains when i have 1200$ mud terrains.

autosm
01-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Conditions much better today. A lot less ice and most areas had less snow.

Ran the same trail and more with out any problems.

Khamul
01-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Alak
Proper tires get you alot further (for alot less) than a winch and bumper :clap:

Yeah - learned alot from that run! I thought those Procomps would have been the cat's meow out there as I have gotten great traction around the city... totally blew me away how crappy they were!!! Had I known I would have brought my H2 instead with BFG AT's on it..... Putting 37's on there tomorrow so may give her a try one weekend and see how she does...

You know that boulder I hit on the way out? (Not to mention the sign I went through to hit it...) - I did NO damage with that hit! I couldn't feakin believe it as I hit that doing about 30... back end flew up and eveything... Just one major alignment and she was fine again....

Alak
01-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Well thats good to hear nothing was broken! Thats always good news.

I think we could plan for a mclean opening run, but thats, what may 1st I think? ( I always forget when it opens).

I should have some gears, lockers and hopefully some mud tires by then. I'll probably be doing a toyota rear end conversion between now and then.

aristocrat
01-17-2010, 11:17 PM
by may first im hoping to have my bumper, winch, lift and 35s haha.

Good to hear nothing got broken!

and i figured the snow and ice would be a lot less now we have had a lot of warm days recently.

Alak
01-18-2010, 02:46 AM
Bah, 35's. If your going 35's, might as well go 37's.

I accually found a range road township road of somekind, it ended and was about 200 metres of muddy ruts. It was fun. They forgot to finish the road, it was kinda funny. Pretty muddy too.

aristocrat
01-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Haha, thats why im going 35's.
I was gonna go 33's then i said bah fuck it if im doing 33's i might as well go 35's.

You should show me that muddy range road :)

Alak
01-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Someday I'll go 37's, but I dont see that in the future for awhile. I do alot of highway driving. Dont really want the wear and milage 37's provide. I'll stick with the good ol' 32's.

Alak
01-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Thinkin of doing a run in feb. sometime. Im just waiting on some small parts/upgrades, but I'd like to check out more of our 'new' trails in wiaprous.

aristocrat
01-30-2010, 03:39 PM
if were not gonna do stupid icy hills ill come. depending on the date tho.
hills suck in winter, id rather just do like all the shit we did before we went on the winter only trails.

CelicaST-162
01-30-2010, 08:49 PM
I am up for a run in a bit, Id love to test out the new upgrades that are going in this week :D

Alak
01-31-2010, 12:59 PM
I was hoping to pick up a diff-lock lever, but the bastard sold it before I could pay for it. So Im back to crawling underneath in the mornings.

How big are your tires in the hilux? I *may* have a set of chains that fit.

But yeah, I was thinkin more of the winter trails, just not the shit we've already been on.

aristocrat
01-31-2010, 10:30 PM
haha, oh well, whatever works.

i have 31's right now.
Im depending on how my lift goes, i might sell them for some A/Ts and get MTRs for my 35s. but that wont be for spring at least.

And hm, well, what day were you thinking, cause ill be out of town for 2 of the 4 weeks. so dont plan around me. and its just the hills that have issues with my truck as you know so idunno.

inline6turbo
01-31-2010, 10:36 PM
If anyone wants a riding buddy I'd tag along :) Sold my 4x4 a couple years ago but still like going out.

Alak
01-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Im not too sure when I want to go out. The trails close, what march 1st? sometime between now and then.

I been pretty busy with some pre-spring cleaning.

And we wont have fraser to lead the way anymore.

aristocrat
02-01-2010, 02:21 AM
hm, ok. Well, im gone from the 11-22nd and the 28-2nd so anywhere in there.
And if im lucky i might have my bumper back from jay and have the winch by then but i doubt it..

If someone who has a winch comes along and doesnt mind pulling me up icy hills, ill be in. Otherwise hills are out for me haha.

and i usually end up goin on these things alone (without a passenger) so i might be able to bring you along. :thumbsup:

Alak
02-01-2010, 02:31 AM
Im still waiting on my new battery for my winch. Red tops are a joke for any more than 20 feet haha.

aristocrat
02-01-2010, 12:42 PM
really? it kills your battery? was your truck running?

I had an old warn on my old pathfinder that would go in and out infinite times without killing it haha.

ex1z7
02-01-2010, 04:57 PM

Driving skill helps as well..

... And lockers.

2BLUE
02-01-2010, 08:22 PM
I would much rather have a winch and no tires vs tires and no winch.

Alak
02-01-2010, 08:25 PM
I've had my red top for about 8 years now I think. I dont even remember. 3 years of that has been used in 4 wheel drive. Its just all winched out.

What happens is that gradually all the electronics in the truck will shut down 1 by 1 because its under 12 volts. The winch gets slower and eventually stops.

Im exagerating when I say 20 feet. I could probably do 80 plus without a problem. It was when I did 100+ foot pull a few months ago I started having issues.

Red Tops arn't even deep cycles. And Yellows are only good for about 400 deep cycles.

Odyessy is the only way to fly in 4 wheel drives. Big $$$ but worth it.

2BLUE
02-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Your doing straight pulls Im guessing?

Try using snatch blocks way easier on everything and a bigger alternator or idle switch more rpm more power.

I had all 3 while winching and it was like butter.

There is a rule out there somewhere...15 seconds pulling 1 min of rest. I personally take my time on the winch which is hard.

Warn 8274 which is incrediablly fast winch!!!

Alak
02-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
I would much rather have a winch and no tires vs tires and no winch.

I'd rather drive through the bush than drag myself through it. I got really stuck once (over zealous) and learned a valuable, humiliation lesson from that. A winch followed very shortly after.

I used it twice the first year I had it. Cant say Im a good driver, but Im a little better and a little wiser than I was when I started.

Alak
02-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
Your doing straight pulls Im guessing?

Try using snatch blocks way easier on everything and a bigger alternator or idle switch more rpm more power.

I had all 3 while winching and it was like butter.

I've used the block a couple times when recovering.......well, oversized vehicles.

My alternator is good, its just, my mini-red top is not the battery for the job. I bought an odyessy 2150 to shoehorn under the hood. Should be plenty.

2BLUE
02-01-2010, 08:35 PM
That should work

Alak
02-01-2010, 08:39 PM
I hope so. I dont want to unload $500 on a battery and find out it was the winch all along. :rofl: :rofl:

aristocrat
02-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Ive got 2 batteries so im thinking ill be alright. Dropping my truck off at jay's today for final winch bumper measuring and stuff, he said he can finish it up tonight, so pretty excited. If anyone can get me a hookup on a winch that would be sweet.

Sugarphreak
02-02-2010, 03:51 PM

aristocrat
02-02-2010, 06:57 PM
wow! expensive! how would you even hook that up? wouldnt you need a separate hydraulic pump?

Sugarphreak
02-02-2010, 08:21 PM

Alak
02-04-2010, 10:27 PM
You'll want to upgrade your power steering cooler for that. Just about all the land rover guys in the club run those off PTO drives. You need a cooler.

And they pull really fast.

aristocrat
02-08-2010, 06:43 PM
http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n120/surfkahoona/Wheeling%20pics/?albumview=slideshow

These are pics from the run i went on with the toyota club yesterday.
We did every part of the winter trails, and i didnt get hung up on hills once.
What a difference airing down makes. wow.

theres one section of the trails thats absolutely nuts. i dont know what its called though, but wow, awesome run.

Alak
02-09-2010, 11:17 PM
The Land Rover Club is heading out on sunday the 21st for a day run. I dont know whos all going, probably just a couple of us.

I'll post more details next week, or as I get them.

chrispl
02-14-2010, 03:29 AM
I would be down for a run,same with my buddy and his pathy,keep me posted of whats going on.

aristocrat
02-14-2010, 04:25 AM
I am thinking march 6th, or 7th, a saturday or sunday.

Hows your guys's schedule looking for around then?

CelicaST-162
02-14-2010, 11:13 AM
I am in for a run, I can't wait to test out the new lift! :D

Alak
02-17-2010, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by aristocrat
I am thinking march 6th, or 7th, a saturday or sunday.

Hows your guys's schedule looking for around then?

Sundays are the only day I can fly. My boss is a slave driver of the asshole kind and loves me to work steady saturdays.

I could call in dead and he'd still expect me to be there.

aristocrat
02-17-2010, 04:51 AM
So sunday the 7th? hows that sound for you guys?

Tarzan
02-17-2010, 08:43 AM
If you are in Waiperous stop by and say hi as I will be chasing rally cars in Hunter Valley that day. The Cochrane Rally is on Sun March 7th on Harold Creek and Hunter Valley fsr's. http://cscc.ab.ca/cochrane/

chrispl
02-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Anyone interested in going out tomorrow to waiparous?

Alak
02-22-2010, 12:15 PM
http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=384986.0;attach=14096;image

We went out yesterday with the land rover club. We were able to do about 75% of the winter trails. There was sections that were just too poor to do. There had been a fresh foot of snow and it was starting to melt.

It turned on us, so we turned back when the LR3 on nokians broke a chain.

I hit a tree a fallen tree (maybe 4" in diameter) with my ARB and crushed one of the crush cans. It pushed the bumper back into my hood and dented it (with the CB mount).

If I didnt have that bumper, I'd be picking tree out of the engine. It hit dead on the bar that goes over the headlight (VERY lucky).

$67 for an impact absorber and a dent pull, versus over $1000 in damage. I say the bumper paid for itself.

FraserB
02-23-2010, 01:55 PM
We saw you guys head in in the morning, we were at the quad staging area doing our Standard and Wilderness/Remote First Aid field day.

CelicaST-162
02-23-2010, 06:50 PM
http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=384986.0;attach=14096;image

We went out yesterday with the land rover club. We were able to do about 75% of the winter trails. There was sections that were just too poor to do. There had been a fresh foot of snow and it was starting to melt.

It turned on us, so we turned back when the LR3 on nokians broke a chain.

I hit a tree a fallen tree (maybe 4" in diameter) with my ARB and crushed one of the crush cans. It pushed the bumper back into my hood and dented it (with the CB mount).

If I didnt have that bumper, I'd be picking tree out of the engine. It hit dead on the bar that goes over the headlight (VERY lucky).

$67 for an impact absorber and a dent pull, versus over $1000 in damage. I say the bumper paid for itself.

Have to be a member to view!

Alak
02-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Doh, I'll see if I can fix it (the picture).

Apparently one of the guys with us, in probably the best equipped TDi 90 I've ever seen, it was his first time out. Ever.

Coulda fooled me.

Alak
03-01-2010, 12:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/Albertalandrover

Probably have to click 'see all' under the uploads on the side.

Most of the videos are from last weekends run. Some are from this weekend from a members property (I think they were generally screwing around).

aristocrat
03-02-2010, 09:34 PM
I wont be here for that weekend anymore, so im out, sorry guys!

Alak
03-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Im out too, I have to work. Shit hit the fan with lilydale (as some of you seen in the paper on tuesday) and alot of our equipment needs emergency repairs to get upto standard.

Funny how it takes that to get the job rollin. They only been bitchin about it for 20 years.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Anyone planning on doing a stocker-friendly run before things get too muddy out there, maybe the weekend of the 20th?

aristocrat
03-11-2010, 02:54 PM
not sure, maybe when it gets closer to the date, but i like things muddy :D
i might take the 240 back t edmonton and bring the truck back.

Alak
03-12-2010, 01:28 AM
I'd rather have mud than sheer ice.

Sugarphreak
03-15-2010, 08:30 PM

FraserB
03-15-2010, 09:40 PM
I might be in for the run, we'll see how the next few weeks work out.:D

Sugarphreak
03-15-2010, 09:42 PM

FraserB
03-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I like the sounds of this... any hints?

Got my taxes back today, lets say that being a student helps when it come to tax time. Just gotta find another Jeep that my mods will fit and order up another ARB.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
I might be in for the run, we'll see how the next few weeks work out.:D

That's great to hear! Did you hang onto your RE kit, then?

Oh, and for the record, I don't dislike mud; I dislike the idea of somebody having to pull my stuck ass out of it every five minutes. :rofl:

CelicaST-162
03-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
We could probably do a run out to the falls once the snow melts a bit, should be a stocker friendly run. Although I don't know how deep that water crossing gets in the early spring.

lol, is it the tobogganing uncontrollably down hills or the sliding backwards down the ones you want to get up?

Went out with the Toyota club on Sunday, did the winter trails. My god did those hills with a nice reflective layer of frozen H2O give me some bacon strips in my shorts. Uncontrollable sliding down a hill until your drivetrain finds loose snow to slow you down... :D

Sugarphreak
03-17-2010, 12:53 PM

aristocrat
03-17-2010, 04:37 PM
haha, yeah, THAT hill.