PDA

View Full Version : opinions on Toyota Matrix 2010

hwynne
01-17-2010, 01:26 PM
looking into a new vehicle. want something sporty but practical and thought this looked like a decent car. anyone have any suggestions, opinions or comments?

muchly appreciated :)

heavyD
01-17-2010, 01:29 PM
They are solid if unspectacular vehicles. If you are looking at owning it long term it's a safer bet than other hatches such as the Mazda 3 as it will hold resale and have solid reliability.

j.lai
01-17-2010, 02:13 PM
my dad owns a 09 matrix and my brother owns a 05 mazda 3 and after driving both cars, I would choose the mazda 3 over the matrix. You get more power from the Mazda 3 and it feels more sturdy than the Matrix. I find it hard to shoulder check on the matrix as well (I really have to lean in order to see something) but that may just be me.

Its best to just go to a Toyota dealership and test drive a matrix and test drive a Mazda3

jonnycat
01-17-2010, 10:49 PM
You'll be bored to death with the matrix in a year. I'd also check out the mazda3.

gqmw
01-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Matrix - reliable car, looks alright, value holds.

Mazda 3 - more power, funner to drive, sportier, won't be as bored easily.

I like both cars, I'd do the Mazda 3 over the Matrix though. But you can't go wrong with the Matrix either.

nnnnny
01-18-2010, 12:58 AM
get a impreza

gqmw
01-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by nnnnny
get a impreza

That may be a little out of the price range he's looking at if he thinks the Matrix is pretty suitable in all aspects?

TorqueDog
01-18-2010, 01:03 AM
What can I say about driving a Matrix that hasn't already been said about watching an episode of The View... it's boring, and torturous all at the same time, and I'd rather have bird flu than endure another second of it.

SikAssR1
01-18-2010, 01:18 AM
My Fiance had a Matrix, driving through the mountains was hell. I made her sell it, gave her my ML and bought myself a Tundra.:D

Viperelite
01-18-2010, 08:16 AM
You should pick up one of these lol

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1978-Chevrolet-Corvette-l82-Coupe-2-door-W0QQAdIdZ178867512

I can guarantee it will out rate any matrix in the area of fun lol.

With a little bit of love and some parts you could push that l82 350 V8 to around 500hp.

And would cost less then a matrix lol.

Not to mention with these old cars the prices only go up lol.

But seriously. Why a matrix, ugly as hell and it's gutless.

TorqueDog
01-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Viperelite

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1978-Chevrolet-Corvette-l82-Coupe-2-door-W0QQAdIdZ178867512

With a little bit of love and some parts you could push that l82 350 V8 to around 500hp.

But seriously. Why a matrix, ugly as hell and it's gutless. OP said sporty but practical. Those old fibreglass coffins weren't practical by any means.

Viperelite
01-18-2010, 09:59 AM
It's not even that bad on gas a 350 can get like 15mpg city and 20 mpg highway when driven right.

And it's not a fiberglass coffin lol, those things are made from pretty thick steel sheeting lol. Not to mention a real metal bumper. The matrix's "Bumper" is made of plastic lol, real safe. Whole point of bumpers even being put on cars in the first place was to deflect damage from the car if hit, now there just plastic and break.

Still i guess it's all a matter of opinion. I'm just slightly biased as i just cant stand the styling of most modern car's there just so ugly, and really, you can't expect much fun out of an I4 engine lol.

Sure it may have a higher power band at higher rpm's but theres nothing quite like an old muscle car for take off.

The power band is more low then high creating massive torque launching the vehicle off the line like a rocket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6sXkDIeymg

TorqueDog
01-19-2010, 01:17 AM
That Corvette you posted, the body is made of fiberglass. After 75, they replaced the fiberglass floor with metal due to the catalytic converters, that's about it.

bjstare
01-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Viperelite

But seriously. Why a matrix, ugly as hell and it's gutless.

I'm surprised you didn't suggest he get a 1st gen batmobile. Muscle and great looks, along with no practicality and horrible mileage; just what the OP is looking for.:facepalm:

dino_martini
01-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Buy a Pontiac Vibe.

The Matrix/Vibe are the same car, built on the same line, by the same people. Vibe's are on a fire sale right now. And if you can deal with the whole "I will have to go to a GM dealer to get it serviced"...:dunno:

bjstare
01-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Buy a Pontiac Vibe.

The Matrix/Vibe are the same car, built on the same line, by the same people. Vibe's are on a fire sale right now. And if you can deal with the whole "I will have to go to a GM dealer to get it serviced"...:dunno:

Its actually interesting you say that. A buddy of mine picked up a new matrix 2 weeks ago, and I brought up the same point you did. He said the Vibe would have cost him more. Any ideas why? Didn't make sense to me, but it is what it is.

dino_martini
01-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Its actually interesting you say that. A buddy of mine picked up a new matrix 2 weeks ago, and I brought up the same point you did. He said the Vibe would have cost him more. Any ideas why? Didn't make sense to me, but it is what it is.

Interesting.

I would have thought a Vibe would be less than a Matrix. I go by Stampede Pontiac almost every day and there are a ton just sitting on the lot.

:dunno:

Plus I like the look of the Vibe more than the Matrix.

As for the pricing scheme, its GM...I can't make much sense of it.

bjstare
01-20-2010, 03:04 PM
^They do look better. Must be people gravitating toward the better looking car, since they know its the same thing underneath. Can't blame them.