PDA

View Full Version : The Book of Eli

bituerbo
01-17-2010, 01:54 PM
JKfZrbS79To

Having seen the movie The Road a few days earlier, I couldn't believe the similarities between the two. The Book of Eli being the one with the bigger budget and more action. I would still give it a 7.5/10, but it would have been an 8.5/10 had it been more original... Movie was pretty much filmed on location in Fallout 3.

2Valve0
01-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Totally got the fallout 3 feeling from it but it was still a great movie. Was one with alot of thinking involved symbolism and such.
Could see english teachers showing this in class and asking kids to write papers on it.

I thought it was good the end was a big twist where i was like wth.

JAYMEZ
01-17-2010, 02:35 PM
I dunno , it was good in some ways , but the plot was just so short and predictable.. It had a bit of a mad max feel to it as well..

Id give it a 7/10

adidas
01-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Movie was just okay for me. I wouldnt recommend watching it.

ixlr8
01-17-2010, 05:42 PM
An exceedingly deep philosophical film, there are many layers here. However this may be lost on those who are just looking for a shoot-em-up.

An incredibly well presented thought experiment.

My only gripe would be the casting of Mila Kunis; she did a so-so job in the role. I think a more talented actress could've better portrayed the genuine emotion required for certain scenes.

LongCity
01-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Loved this movie - thought it was great! The huge twist shouldn't have been a huge twist but I was too caught up in the movie to notice all those clues thrown at me.

Danny Meehan
01-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Mad Max with black people

effects / characters were ok. story drags, action scenes few and far between. many expected more.

bituerbo
01-17-2010, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't call it 'deep' but it is multi-dimensional. I'm kind of hoping for an alternate ending... like with I Am Legend that was actually better than the theatrical version.

Something like when he's rowing out to alcatraz... he gets there and there is nobody there, it was all in his head. I think that would be a great way to end. Him being 'blind' the whole time REALLY puts that cheezy-superhero (anybody see that movie daredevil?) spin on the whole film. Keep it as action/drama and within the realm of possibility. Also, anyone catch the K-mart nametag?

ixlr8
01-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
I wouldn't call it 'deep' but it is multi-dimensional.

As I alluded to, most won't get it all, but those that have taken some philosophy (epistemology/metaphysics/ethics) courses will see what the general public will not.

Not to mention the portrayal of key Taoist and Buddhist tenets which compliment the transparent Judeo-Christian aspects.

Overall a fantastic take on the deluge myth, with many hidden gems for those that care to look for them.

Boat
01-18-2010, 05:26 AM
An interesting movie. Like previously mentioned, at face value people see a satisfactory at best movie,

but if you look ;) deeper into the story, it is really interesting and thought provoking.

Overall, 7/10

Kamen
01-18-2010, 01:47 PM
I thought it was an alright movie. It started off fast but unfortunately went a decline and by the time it was over I wasn't really sure.

I like Mila Kunis but I agree she wasn't up to par compared with the other actors, also the ending was just baffling and stupid, could have easily done without the last minute or so.

pyroza
01-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by ixlr8

As I alluded to, most won't get it all, but those that have taken some philosophy (epistemology/metaphysics/ethics) courses will see what the general public will not.

Not to mention the portrayal of key Taoist and Buddhist tenets which compliment the transparent Judeo-Christian aspects.

Overall a fantastic take on the deluge myth, with many hidden gems for those that care to look for them.

You sound like one of those really pretentious philosophical guys... no offense of course...

syeve
01-19-2010, 11:58 AM
An exceedingly deep philosophical film, there are many layers here. However this may be lost on those who are just looking for a shoot-em-up.

An incredibly well presented thought experiment.

You sound like a guy that not many people like.

BlackRadon
01-22-2010, 03:00 AM
watched it today, i enjoyed it. When it comes out on blue-ray ill buy it for sure. Denzel Washington just makes great movies. As for Mila Kunis, pretty much agree with what everyone else commented. Over all 8/10

as for the above comment...oh snap!!:guns: