PDA

View Full Version : what to look for in a protien powder

calgarys_finest
01-17-2010, 01:59 PM
What do you guys look for in a protien power?

Background: I was a phsyically fit kid played hockey at a high level and never needed to workout. When i was 18 i got in a car accident and it messed me up pretty bad. I am now 24 and according to my doctors i am ready to get back into hockey and working out. I lost 30 pounds from just changing my diet and am looking to kick it up a notch. I only work out with weights 2-3 times a week just to start but i play hockey and get out as much as i can. I figure a protein powder would start to help a little more. So what do i look for? Whey, creatien, soy whey? Are calories and fat important? What do you look for when you are looking for a new powder or what do you like about the one you use.

TimeAttack
01-17-2010, 02:03 PM
you are spelling protein wrong, that's why it's not coming up in a search.
"protein" comes up with over 50 thread hits in the health/fitness sections.

Do a search, start reading.
Protein isn't something that needs to be asked so often.

calgarys_finest
01-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by TimeAttack

Typed it correctly and wasted alot time time reading threads that mention protein but dont answer any of my questions. I will go join a workout forum should have known better :)

liquidboi69
01-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Whey Protein (isolates/concentrate/hydro): Fast acting proteins - eat after workouts

Casein/Egg Protein: Slow/Medium acting protein - eat during long periods of no food/before sleep

Soy: Increases estrogen potentially - don't eat

Fats: Slows down digestion. You will want to eat fat if you want to slow down the protein digestion (no wanted post workout.)

Creatine: You can't spell it correctly, and I don't think you're at that level yet (not that it's really hardcore or anything.) Get the basics down first like diet and protein.

chathamf
01-17-2010, 10:12 PM

People like you on these forums piss me off. Does it hurt you to have someone ask a question that has already been asked? And do you really need to call people on incorrect spelling? If everyone used the search feature for everything there would be no threads because everything has already been covered on Beyond at some point I am sure.

Get a life.

TimeAttack
01-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by chathamf

People like you on these forums piss me off. Does it hurt you to have someone ask a question that has already been asked? And do you really need to call people on incorrect spelling? If everyone used the search feature for everything there would be no threads because everything has already been covered on Beyond at some point I am sure.

Get a life.
OP: My bad, I was not aware that you already did a search with correct spelling....

chathamf: If people like me piss you off, add me to your ignore list and quit your bitching.
No one is forcing you to read my posts.

Now that the OP has explained that he has already searched I can now offer advice/experience.

I use "PERFECT WHEY" (in capital letters)

Intense Flavour

Strawberry Ice

5LBS

fat 1.3g per serving
28g protein per serving

Picture: http://www.peak7nutrition.com/Perfect%20Whey.JPG

To be honest though, the flavour isn't as intense as it says on the bottle, it's kind of weak flavour, kinda like strawberry whipped cream kind of flavour, not too intense.

OP: I think you should buy the exact same stuff and ingest it in large quantities.
I am so strong because of this stuff, such large muscles and such. Take a look at the 3 month challenge thread(TurboD), and that was only one or two servings to get those results. Just imagine if I took this stuff every day!

Now that I have more value to this thread, chathamf, would you like to know what I HATE? It's useless hypocrite idiots like yourself that post to bitch and never input any information relevant to the thread.

GQBalla
01-18-2010, 09:03 AM

OP: I think you should buy the exact same stuff and ingest it in large quantities.
I am so strong because of this stuff, such large muscles and such. Take a look at the 3 month challenge thread(TurboD), and that was only one or two servings to get those results. Just imagine if I took this stuff every day!

are you serious?

you think you would be bigger if you drank lotsa of protein..........true you would....but you would also require that amount, or else youll get fat

really?

your so strong because of protein.....

:facepalm:

TimeAttack
01-18-2010, 09:14 AM
^ I was joking, haha
I should have added a sarcasm icon but I didn't think it was needed.

:D

If you seen the pics in that thread you would know I was fulla crap, haha.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
01-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

are you serious?

you think you would be bigger if you drank lotsa of protein..........true you would....but you would also require that amount, or else youll get fat

really?

your so strong because of protein.....

:facepalm:

I don't know where Time Attack came from, but he seems to be the smartest troll I have ever seen. Like a contributer in disguise. It's very frustrating.

TimeAttack
01-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN

I don't know where Time Attack came from, but he seems to be the smartest troll I have ever seen. Like a contributer in disguise. It's very frustrating.

Feel free to add me to your ignore list, I don't think it would be fair to force you to read my posts.
Btw, if i'm a troll contributor, what does that make you? "contributor critic"? or "misunderstanding police"?
In charge of critiquing all misunderstandings in threads and to make sure no conclusions are met based on evidence?
Or to make sure sarcasm is always declared?

lint
01-18-2010, 12:15 PM
And so it begins again. Same shit for brains know it all posts by TurdD in every thread in the fitness forum. Spouting off fact until he gets caught and then crying out that everyone should be able to post opinions.

TimeAttack
01-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Get caught?
Get caught doing what?

What facts have I spouted off?
I gave my opinion on a protein that I use.

I think you need to re-read the other posts in this thread to find out who is really crying. Re-read your own while your at it.

If you are calling me a "know it all" for being able to spell protein, then I can accept that.

More like, here we go again, lint thinks you need to be mr Olympia before you can post what brand protein you use.

If we do a tally, only liquid and myself have posted relevant information in this thread.

lint
01-18-2010, 12:25 PM
How quickly you forget the shit you spouted off in the monkey pullups thread. Change the name, but the turd just stays the same.

You don't have to be Mr Olympia to post. You should be able to apply some knowledge to be taken seriously. Who the fuck cares what brand of protein a weak ass sissy takes? Or what exercises a weak ass sissy does?

GQBalla
01-18-2010, 12:26 PM

More like, here we go again, lint thinks you need to be mr Olympia before you can post what brand protein you use.

you probably get sucked in to using cell-tech ahah

TimeAttack
01-18-2010, 12:28 PM
I missed you guys too! :love:

max_boost
01-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN

LOL It's hard to exactly pin point it but this dude is suspiciously different haha

TimeAttack
01-18-2010, 01:58 PM
In the same post you both defended monkey pullups and called me a sissy.

LOL - that monkey pullup thread is almost a year old and you are still crying about it.

This is for you lint:

I hereby concede that lint is totally correct, you must integrate monkey pullups into your routine if you want to be a heavy weight powerlifter.
Monkey pullups are a key component to power lifting, and without them, you are likely to never be successful in powerlifting.

Monkey pullups are the best exercise for really big muscles and strength. Forget what people have told you about deadlifts, bench, and squats, what you really need to focus on is weighted monkey pullups.

I will now change my gym routine to be monkey pullups for 20 sets every single day and hope that I turn into a powerlifter.

Any idiot can see how a swinging hang from a bar could directly translate into lifting 500lbs off the ground.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
01-25-2010, 06:28 PM

Feel free to add me to your ignore list, I don't think it would be fair to force you to read my posts.
Btw, if i'm a troll contributor, what does that make you? "contributor critic"? or "misunderstanding police"?
In charge of critiquing all misunderstandings in threads and to make sure no conclusions are met based on evidence?
Or to make sure sarcasm is always declared?

I don't want to ignore you. I like reading some of the things you have to say.

Stay on topic big guy :thumbsup:

Edit: TimeAttack: If you keep telling everyone to put you on to their ignore list then who will read your posts?

A790
01-26-2010, 10:03 AM
I missed you guys too! :love:
You were banned for a reason the first go around.

To the OP: protein whey is pretty basic stuff. There are variations of the mix (ie- casein, soy, etc. etc.), but if you're just getting into lifting/fitness and aren't in tune with the demands of your body quite yet, grab whatever whey tastes good and you'll actually drink.

I always grab whey with as little carbs as possible so that they don't factor into my diet in any other way aside from protein, but that's just my preference.

Just don't get conned into spending a ton of money on whey. It's whey, nothing immensely complicated.

urban.one
01-26-2010, 12:00 PM
I buy Kaizen brand protein from Costco. Price is good and few additivies.

http://www.kaizenprotein.com/images/products/vnutrition_table.gif

A790
01-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
I buy Kaizen brand protein from Costco. Price is good and few additivies.

http://www.kaizenprotein.com/images/products/vnutrition_table.gif

Hey that does look good. What's the price/size on it?

lint
01-26-2010, 12:19 PM
4.4lb tubs, $39.99 reg, goes on sale quite often for $31.99. Go with the decadent chocolate.

KRyn
01-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by lint
Who the fuck cares what brand of protein a weak ass sissy takes? Or what exercises a weak ass sissy does?

Thanks for the signature wor
thy material.

j.garner
02-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

you probably get sucked in to using cell-tech ahah

Whats wrong with cell-tech I always use dat derr cell tech it makes me hyyyyyoooge:rofl:

BigMass
02-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by j.garner

Whats wrong with cell-tech I always use dat derr cell tech it makes me hyyyyyoooge:rofl:

http://i12.tinypic.com/4lz50g9.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o102/corn_dog251/Untitled-6copy.jpg
http://www.datderecelltech.com/cell-tech-boy.jpg

urban.one
02-11-2010, 06:15 PM
You have potential!

Originally posted by BigMass

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o102/corn_dog251/Untitled-6copy.jpg

colt22
03-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Supplemental protein is totally useless IMO, granted your eating on a good diet.
I've used countless brands/types for years then one day decided to try living without it.

Been about 6 months since I stopped using protein while keeping my workout regime the same and I am still increasing strength wise and am not finding any problems gaining mass.

chkolny541
03-14-2010, 03:22 AM
^^granted your diet is in check no one needs ANY supplement of any kind ever (vitamins, protein, creatine,etc). But i just find that 2 shakes equates to alot quicker intake of nutrients an a hell of a lot cheaper as well, (200+g of protein daily would be fucking expensive from just meats and diet alone).

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
05-27-2010, 05:36 PM
That's exactly it. After a workout I never wanna eat solid food within 15 minutes, so I chug down a 70 gram shake. Probably too much protein for my body, but ever since I have become consistent I have seen my gains go up a whole shit load.

I'm useing the Costco Kaizen brand. Two scoops, and it's easy as fuck to chug when mixed with water.

GREENBOY
06-03-2010, 01:20 PM
I say save your money, work hard and eat right and you don't need supplements. I've used them and stopped and never noticed any difference.

CrazyDyde12
06-06-2010, 07:13 PM
yeah i would work on perfecting your diet, helps waaaay better then protein

i use Isoflex chocolate flavor, best tasting protein Ive tried and has some good nutrients (high protein, low sugar, etc)

Jim Rome99
06-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I use Syntha 6 from GNC. Anyone know anything about it?

j.garner
06-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Jim Rome99
I use Syntha 6 from GNC. Anyone know anything about it? I think its a blend of 6 different kinds of protien not just whey like most.

Majestic12
06-07-2010, 04:01 PM
I buy my stuff from http://www.trueprotein.com.
Fantastic stuff. You can make your own blends of different supplements/powders/flavours. I normally just buy it plain, and then get a few packs of flavouring so I'm not drinking the same thing every single time.

I looked around all over to try and find a good supplement, and this one fits the bill for me. Prices are pretty good too, especially if you buy in bulk, which I do.

If you guys are interested in buying feel free to use my code for 5% off: RNL421

beyond_ban
06-07-2010, 04:07 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/jay/egg.html

This is what i use. I find it has given me the best results from any protein powders i have used.

Darkane
06-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Protein powders have their place, but honestly nothing can replace food.

Depending on goals, if cutting use as much whole food as possible. The Thermic effect of food (TEF) on protein is around 30%.

What this means is the body will utilize around 30% of the energy derived from the protein just to break it down, digest it etc. It's good. Whey is lower, than whole food for TEF.

While bulking a powder can be used just to get the calories in, and make it slightly move convenient.

I mean eating 6-7 meals/day just to get calories can be a pain when cooking. So a shake or two helps.

When cutting, meals can be 4/day and is easier to eat whole foods.

With that said a pure Whey Isolate with as little fat/carbs per serving is desirable.

As for Casein and slow proteins pre-bed I've found best results with Eggs pre-bed. Some coaches are using this Protocol with great success.

To name a few John Berardi PHD, Christian thibaudeau, and Shelby Starnes who is currently training me.

:thumbsup: