PDA

View Full Version : What should i do? Beware.

uponone
01-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Alright just a heads up for everyone here, my truck was taken to this place called CHIPPY AUTO APPEARANCE

by the dealer to take care of some very very minor rock chips around the rear wheel well on both sides of the bed,

Now, My Dodge Ram Quad Cab 06'.

#1, First time the truck had been in there it had come out with this really hazy finish and the rock chips were never sanded and primed they just painted right over it then cleared it. i took it to a car wash about a week later and all the paint started flaking off.

Returned the vehicle after the told me to wait three weeks to get me in, and they told me it was a bad batch of clear coat.

#2nd time in,

The truck was masked off from the spray in bed line, and they must have tryed to re do the panel on the rear on both sides, when they removed the tape you could see a straight line down the middle where you would put bed rails on.

after two weeks again i took it to get a light wash with a wand no brush or anything, the paint again became very hazy, there were really big bubbles of clear coat that never struck to the truck but had formed a bubble over the surface. It is now starting to rust along the top part of the wheel well.

I returned it again...,

#3rd time in, they manager said that they guy he had doing the truck was not very good and that he would do it again for me,

I had to reschedule me to come in again, before i left he wet sanded and polished it again and put some kind of chemical on the bed liner that would supposedly take off the over spray. that was probably a month ago and the over spray is still there. there was over spray on all my windows for days until i could remove it.

#4th time in.... to be continued.... i still haven't re scheduled because they clearly don't have the capabilities to perform any kind of painting task,

They don't have a booth, and they work on multiple cars at a time right beside yours.

ercchry
01-17-2010, 05:35 PM
take it to a good shop, give bad shop the bill for the good shop to fix the shitty work

uponone
01-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
take it to a good shop, give bad shop the bill for the good shop to fix the shitty work

I was thinking about getting a 1 auto body to do it. they do good work I've seen.

would this company accept the bill from them is the question. i will be stuck footing the bill and then trying to get chippy auto appearance to pay me for it...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Sucks man. My family had the rear bumper re-done by Chippy late last year on a lease return, came out fine, but perhaps its hit and miss :dunno:

ercchry
01-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by uponone

I was thinking about getting a 1 auto body to do it. they do good work I've seen.

would this company accept the bill from them is the question. i will be stuck footing the bill and then trying to get chippy auto appearance to pay me for it...

talk to AMVIC first, see what they have to say

adidas
01-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Instead of just bringing the car in every few weeks, i suggest that you go in and speak to the manager or owner of the shop. Explain to them what your concern is and see how he/they react.

If the shop is any good and wants to have a good customer reputation they will do whatever they can to keep you and do the best job possible on your vehicle. If its the complete opposite, then scare him by saying you will take him to court for the damages to your truck.

Best of luck.

2Valve0
01-17-2010, 06:24 PM
wait till #4 if still bad threaten to report to B.B.B. and say you want a massive discount on what you paid
P.O.S. places like this should not be in business

~Touge/Wangan-
01-17-2010, 07:18 PM
mahesh @ fix auto did amazing work on my subaru, and i was very cautious with whom i took the car too....

go to him, you will NOT be disapointed....

Archea
01-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by ~Touge/Wangan-
mahesh @ fix auto did amazing work on my subaru, and i was very cautious with whom i took the car too....

go to him, you will NOT be disapointed....

I wouldnt trust him with a 10 foot pole........
I used to manage that shop and I have seen first hand the poor quality of work that has been done...the shitty used parts sold as "new" and to top it all off they lost their amazing painter who did my vehicle..

not one single person in that shop is licenced except for mahesh himself and he doesnt do the work.

So ya...feel free to take your vehicle into a shop without technicians that can pass their tests!

Cam (A790) can vouch for mahesh's douchery first hand....

that place is a nightmare in progress..

methodicreign
01-19-2010, 07:27 PM
didn't the dealership take it there in the first place?
if so go back to the dealership, they are responsible for the finished productg whether or not they did it themselves, and trust me, the dealership calling them and telling them to redo it goes alot further than one guy getting pissed off. I work in a bodyshop and I feel your pain dude, good luck with it.

GT4rally
02-25-2010, 02:52 AM
I assume you are talking about the Chippy in the industrial strip mall by Coast Plaza Hotel in the N.E.?

I have had work done there quite a few times, since I had a conection that got me a discount, and I must say that they are really hit-and-miss.

If you have a small rub-mark or ding, then they should be OK, but anything more than that, and they will just make it worse... be prepared to clean-up rubing compound splatter and overspray.

They did a couple poor jobs for me that had to be re-done (with much appologies from Frank, the manager/owner), but the last straw was a rediculously poor rust repair job that I had to take back 3 times (the second time they lost my key fob and had to buy me a new one for $300). Frank complained that he was losing money on my job, but seriously, I could have done a better job myself... with some boxing gloves on, in the dark!

Half the the car was speckled with tiny dots of finishing bondo (probably from a power buffer) that would not come off the paint... even with your finger nail! I was pissed... and out about $1000. BTW, the rust returned aout 3 month later (no warranty on rust work), so I took it to a real body shop.

I also asked them to keep one of my cars inside at night, and I specifically said to call me if they couldn't keep it inside and I would pick it up (really sketchy hood at night). They said "no problem we'll make sure it's locked in the bay." Well, I had a bad feeling that night, so I drove by with a spare key to make sure it was inside... and guess what, my car is sitting, alone, in the huge parking lot behind the building!!! I looked in the Chippy bay window and they had cars packed like sardines in there, but mine was the only one outside.

I took my car with the spare key and waited for them to call me the next day. They called at about 8am and said my car was missing! Ha! I made them sweat and said "what do you mean, I thought it was parked INSIDE!" They said "Umm, no it was outside." I then proceeded to tear a strip off of him... NO MORE CHIPPY FOR ME!

They seem to have a real transient immigrant work force and most of the guys don't know what F they are doing.

bourge73
02-25-2010, 08:06 AM
that has to be the one of the worst names for a auto business I have ever heard. I got a quote from that guy to do a job on my wifeys car and his prices were out to lunch. Sure am glad I didnt get it done after hearing the above.