PDA

View Full Version : New low for Calgary, registration sticker stolen

mekeni
01-17-2010, 11:17 PM
This is a new low for Calgary, someone stole my registration sticker ! :banghead:

Does anyone know if I can still drive my car, I have receipts for the sticker?

Anyway, I found a way so that the thief will have a hard time stealing your sticker...

After sticker is applied, cut the sticker many times vertically and horizontally with the razor, making sure that you're cutting all the way through the sticker. The thief will have a hard time pealing your sticker off.

2Valve0
01-17-2010, 11:18 PM
shit...bad luck but he will eventually get pulled over if he is wreckless enough to steal a sticker

5000Audi
01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
those stickers usually tear when pealed off.. also a guy having that sticker dont mean anything when i cop runs the plate.. also i think the registires will give you a new one... you'd have to call and ask..

and btw ive had 1/2 of one stolen off my car a few years ago..but it was a month before renewal so i just renewed the reg so didnt ask if the stickers were free( they have to register the sticker to your plate as every sticker has a serial number

dj_rice
01-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Your sure someone stole it right?Have you taken your car to a hand wash in the past week?

Clever
01-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Your sure someone stole it right?Have you taken your car to a hand wash in the past week?

This.

Went to a car wash right after putting the sticker on, and sure enough it fell off and i watched it get carried by the water to the drain, drove for a year until I had to renew my registration and had no issues.

mekeni
01-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

It was cut down to the 2006 registration sticker, with a lil piece of the 2010 sticker still hanging. I don't think a hand wash can cut that precise...

adidas
01-18-2010, 12:03 AM
I wonder how that guy managed to do it in such mild weather. Those stickers are not meant to be reapplied, they actually tear very easily on purpose.

Im sure you can get a new one for free through registration.

gqmw
01-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by mekeni

It was cut down to the 2006 registration sticker, with a lil piece of the 2010 sticker still hanging. I don't think a hand wash can cut that precise...

Wow that is real low...I would go to the registry and see what they can do about it.

dannie
01-18-2010, 01:35 AM
The cost for a replacement sticker is $22.45. The only way around paying for that would be to renew your plates early and pay the $70.45 for your next years sticker. That way you just extend the plate instead of paying out the $22 to replace.

Also, you can get a ticket for not having the sticker. You are required to have both the valid year sticker and the month sticker on your car.

It sucks... but, it's nothing new. It happens a lot.

01RedDX
01-18-2010, 02:33 AM

2EFNFAST
01-18-2010, 02:38 AM
There's no way somebody peeled it off - chripes, I remember when I tore mine after 1/10 of it got caught on the old sticker and I tried to remove it.

edit: Although, if somebody sat there for 20minutes with an exactoknife......... :confused:

gqmw
01-18-2010, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
There's no way somebody peeled it off - chripes, I remember when I tore mine after 1/10 of it got caught on the old sticker and I tried to remove it.

edit: Although, if somebody sat there for 20minutes with an exactoknife......... :confused:

A few yrs back I actually tried to remove an old one...I got it off pretty easily. I duno if its changed a lot nowadays...I haven't tried to peal one lately. And there you are efn...you missed a golden thread!

DayGlow
01-18-2010, 08:25 AM
report it stolen. Each sticker has an unique serial code. When someone is pulled over for their plate coming back expired, but they have a sticker the serial will be ran. They then get charged with possession of stolen property.

speedog
01-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Unless your plate was dirty or had some moisture on it - both which could have affected the sticker getting a good grip, then someone could've stolen it. If it came off in a whole piece, then it probably wasn't stuck properly in the first place - I've probably put on over 50 of these stickers on the various vehicles I've owned over the years and only ever had problems with one (last year) and that was due to moisture (condensation) on the plate. Didn't want to pay the sticker replacement fee, so I just used some premium quality clear packing tape, cleaned up the plate real good and let everything warm up to room temperature and made everything stick for the next year. Probably didn't help that I've had this plate since they came out in 1984 and it had a ton of stickers on it (13 per side).