PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Sherwood (calgary)

psi_klops
01-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a house and want to get your thought on the Sherwood neighborhood.

Any thoughts.

Thanks!

Isaiah
01-18-2010, 04:27 PM
I've driven through and it's decent. With the Beacon Hill centre now complete, and Stoney Trail in your backyard, it's a great location now.

turbotrip
01-18-2010, 10:50 PM
i'd give it a solid B, B+

Kloubek
01-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Excellent neighborhood. Good access to everywhere - though it is a tad far out. Low crime, mid/high end housing.... what's not to love?

psi_klops
01-19-2010, 01:48 AM
now I have heard that this neighbourhood is primarily asian, is that true?
(not a good or bad thing, just curious)

LongCity
01-19-2010, 02:20 AM
I think the NW has a lot of Asians in general.

Speed_69
01-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Is Sherwood in Symons Valley?

Also, are there any duplexes in this area?

barmanjay
01-19-2010, 01:17 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/barmanjay/mapofsherwood.jpg

Meback
01-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Its by a jail, but no one really escapes anyways. So A +

hampstor
01-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Meback
Its by a jail, but no one really escapes anyways. So A +

spy hill dump is actually in between, so the sherwood folks are safe !

You have no access from/to eastbound stoney trail from Shaginappi for sherwood.

schocker
01-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69
Is Sherwood in Symons Valley?

Also, are there any duplexes in this area?

There are some in sage hill, further up symons valley road next to kincora.

Karim316
01-19-2010, 02:09 PM
I live in Sherwood and think is fine. Been here for 3 yers now. There is a mix of all people, not just Asians. It's fairly quiet so you don't see much of the people around anyways. I remember during Haloween I had maybe 8 kids come to my door. Very nice houses in the area and no sketchy people around. Only things I don't like about it (which is probably the same in most neighbourhoods) is that when it snows the city does not plow up here right away. Bus route is very limited if your rely on that. But having Costco, Beacon Hill, and Stoney right beside you is great.

As for the "You have no access from/to eastbound stoney trail from Shaginappi for Sherwood" you just exit from Sarcee and that takes you into Beacon Heights/Sherwood. The Shag entrance to Sherwood is temporary and by spring they should close that off leaving Sarcee as the only entrance into Sherwood. Which is a real piss off and lots of people in the community are not happy with that.

coldmind
01-19-2010, 03:00 PM
I don't think there is a school there, so if you're thinking long term, that might be an issue. Also there is only one builder that is building there, so that's another thing.

bspot
01-19-2010, 03:16 PM
... it's 20km from downtown :dunno:

01RedDX
01-19-2010, 03:24 PM

turbotrip
01-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by coldmind
Also there is only one builder that is building there, so that's another thing.

i dont think thats true, i built with 2 different builders in sherwood

EDIT: unless you mean currently only 1 builder builds there, in which case i dont know

Czar
01-19-2010, 03:32 PM
I rented a house there for a few months over the summer (and just moved out in December). It's a decent community, but there are some things you should note:

- Make sure you get a very, very detailed inspection of the house. The house we lived in looked ok, but it wasn't exactly the best built house. When we had that snow storm, I couldn't get the house temp above 19 degrees. These are definately "Boom" houses.

- I think there's a large percentage of residents in Sherwood that rent. Although most of the people there seem fine, I've run into the occasional crazy. There's one resident there that I've seen stand in the middle of the street yelling at the sky.

- I lived in Harvest Hills for 11 years and never had any vandalism on my cars. For the 6 months I was there, my car was keyed twice (on both sides). I'm pretty sure I didn't piss anyone off..

Khalil.e
01-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by coldmind
I don't think there is a school there, so if you're thinking long term, that might be an issue. Also there is only one builder that is building there, so that's another thing.

It went from a few, to just the Genesis Builders Group. Now, there are various other builders that own lots in Sherwood and can build as they wish.

variable_x
01-19-2010, 05:03 PM
My parents live in Sherwood. I think it's one of the best new communities in the NW. Houses there are expensive though.

89s1
01-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by bspot
... it's 20km from downtown :dunno:

Not everyone works downtown :dunno:

psi_klops
01-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys! It was very helpful!
Especially the "jail" comment.:)

Xtrema
01-20-2010, 09:07 PM
1) Costco @ Beacon Hill is on top of the whole community. There isn't a spot in Sherwood where you can't see the Costco sign. It's like the whole community is worshiping Costco.

2) Single entrance, Shaganappi. Can't go on or off east bound on Stoney. Never will I heard although it looks like all the room for the ramps are there.

3) Beacon hill just built a new cell tower, more eye sore on top of Costco.

When Sherwood was built, it was going to be the next Hamptons. And it sure priced like it but I sure don't want to pay $800K and live under Costco.

As for race, there are lots of Asian in NW. I don't know if Sherwood is anything like Hamptons, if it is, you'll be looking @ 50% Asian, 30% Brown, 20% White.

johnny.r1.lee
01-21-2010, 05:38 PM
im in the area often, it grew on me,
but i'd still prefer not living under the hill from a landfill,
i prefer edgemont in the nw, the nice area of edgemont

1andonly
01-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
1) Costco @ Beacon Hill is on top of the whole community. There isn't a spot in Sherwood where you can't see the Costco sign. It's like the whole community is worshiping Costco.

2) Single entrance, Shaganappi. Can't go on or off east bound on Stoney. Never will I heard although it looks like all the room for the ramps are there.

When Sherwood was built, it was going to be the next Hamptons. And it sure priced like it but I sure don't want to pay $800K and live under Costco.

As for race, there are lots of Asian in NW. I don't know if Sherwood is anything like Hamptons, if it is, you'll be looking @ 50% Asian, 30% Brown, 20% White.

The houses there are nice but 800K is way too much. How much are the lots there?

Xtrema
01-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by 1andonly

The houses there are nice but 800K is way too much. How much are the lots there?

I exaggerated a bit, Sherwood tops out just south of $700K.

whatsausername
01-24-2010, 09:22 AM
I thought I would answer a few questions as I have almost 6 years experience with this area.

In the morning rush hour it takes half an hour to get downtown on an average day, less in the summer usually. (First hand experience)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Canada+(EB+Sherwood+WY%40Sherwood+LD+NW)&daddr=14+St+NW+to:51.138702,-114.10821+to:14+St+NW+to:14+St+NW+to:9+Ave+SW&hl=en&geocode=FTWdDAMd5Ewy-SHuLQtvgenqeA%3BFRVTDAMdQtcy-Q%3B%3BFdciCwMdUg0z-Q%3BFQzwCgMdlA0z-Q%3BFfbiCgMdukEz-Q&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=14&via=1,2,3,4&sll=51.13407,-114.108553&sspn=0.026606,0.084543&ie=UTF8&ll=51.095976,-114.13662&spn=0.106513,0.338173&t=h&z=12

I would *roughly* estimate 45/45/20 white/Asian/brown

No duplex - Single family w/ attached double or triple garage only

As was said - Shaganappi is not the actual entrance to the area - it is temporary. The actual entrance is via Sarcee trail driving through Beacon Hill. The area of Beacon Hill - while obviously different by the size/finishings/exterior of houses - was originally likely to be part of Sherwood judging from the street sign names. You can view the satellite view on Google maps and see the obvious split where Sherwood and Beacon Heights separate from each other.

That said - one of the advantages of the area is that is it a very small community. It takes less than half an hour and you can walk around the entire physical neighborhood. This means you don't end up driving back and forth through a sea of houses every time you want to leave your house. It also takes only 2-3 minutes to get onto Stony Trail via the Sarcee trail entrance.

It will likely be a good thing when the Shaganappi trail entrance is removed as it will minimize traffic in Sherwood, leaving the heavier traffic area through the blvd that passes through Beacon Heights.

There is a school zone but I would think it would be unlikely that they would build a school in that location.

That leaves a very large green field for a relatively small number of houses. I would recommend taking a walk around this area, and the walking paths that surround the whole neighborhood - some of the views are fabulous.

Regarding Czar's comments - there definitely are likely to be some poorly constructed houses, as with most areas. Some people are more concerned with superficial cosmetics rather than spending money on quality. Some houses may have lowest quality windows/etc. - look for upgraded efficiency windows, insulation, etc. While not being able to heat a house over 19C seems like an exaggeration - I know there are houses (and not just in this area) that are the same sqft and can have 3x the heating costs of each other. Another thing to note is that in a 'traditional' house the main floor is the largest sqft - in recent houses they build a lot of sqft on the second floor - specifically over unheated spaces like the garage. This is a very inexpensive way to add sqft - but does make it harder to maintain indoor air quality/temperature.

I am surprised by the vandalism comment though - I've never heard that complaint from anyone there - on the contrary it is quite a quiet area.

Some people may complain Costco is close - but most people would appreciate that. You can literally walk to the shopping area in 10 minutes from most houses. Rare for new areas to have this.

Houses have ranged from high 400s to 1M - there are some really amazing houses in there. Most houses are in the 500-650k range though.

There is currently one lot for sale on Realtor.ca for $300k but it backs onto the highway. Check with a Realtor as there should be some lots between 200-300k still.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Edit - For lots you may have to check with a builder as they may have bought them all by now - but Genesis did have some available directly last summer.

Edit2 - Regarding location in proximity to Spy Hill - not much of an issue, the shopping area separates it. The actual Spy Hill facilities are quite a ways west on their property which separates it further. Finally, the most expensive houses in the Hamptons - Hamptons Manor, Hamptons Way, and the private road at the edge of Hamptons Way - are physically closer than Sherwood.

vtec96
01-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by whatsausername
As was said - Shaganappi is not the actual entrance to the area - it is temporary. The actual entrance is via Sarcee trail driving through Beacon Hill. The area of Beacon Hill - while obviously different by the size/finishings/exterior of houses - was originally likely to be part of Sherwood judging from the street sign names. You can view the satellite view on Google maps and see the obvious split where Sherwood and Beacon Heights separate from each other.

What?? Shaganappi is the temporary entrance??
WTF??? Now...I won't consider Sherwood anymore...

whatsausername
01-24-2010, 08:06 PM
^ - Missed the part on the sign where in big letters it says 'TEMPORARY ENTRANCE' ? :D

It does seem inconvenient - but really only takes another couple minutes to go around Sarcee - I guess that balances the time saved from driving through the 'sea of houses' in other areas - and with the benefit of having no through traffic going by the houses. Guess it just depends on what your priorities are.

If it was an area the size of Tuscany or Edgemont then removing that access would be crazy though.

Xtrema
01-25-2010, 11:08 AM
If Shag is a temp entrance, the city planner should get shot in the face.

1BADSTI
01-26-2010, 11:33 AM
When we build the first house there 6 years ago (even before the very first Sherwood showhome by Acuri & Kasl), we were told that this temporary access will close once the population of Sherwood reaches 500 houses..

I believe the city is going to extend Shag North sometime soon (already see some works there last sunmer) and it will hit a road (can't remembeer the exact ave #) which some ppl in Sherwood already used before for short cuts... and that road will connect to Sherwood blvd and that is one way of getting into the community...

The city has planned for townhouses at the north end of sherwood, but just don't know when it will happen.

As for school, an elementray is planned for that green area but don't know when the city will have the funds to go ahead and build it...

We are building our 3rd house in Sherwood now and looking forward to see how it turns out~ :D

variable_x
02-10-2010, 01:31 PM
If you compare the distances of Shag and Sarcee to Crowchild, they are actually quite similar. I have measured it using my car's odometer, but can't remember the exact number. Shag has a long section along Nose Hill, where as Sarcee is much shorter, so time wise they are similar.

gqmw
02-11-2010, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I have to agree, my parents were looking into Sherwood a little while ago, pricing was not super bad, but in terms of quality, location, and transit accessibility, we were not impressed. The houses seemed poorly built and location is kinda in the middle of nowhere. Bus accessibility is terrible.

Definitely not the next Hamptons...I don't know if the demographic is similar...but the whole far NW is pretty much the same "50% Asian, 30% Brown, 20% White."

littlefto
06-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Bump...

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with Genesis Builders Group in Sherwood? We are planning to build a house with them there.

Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks!

msusuki
06-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Sherwood Park is nice.

asifka
06-28-2010, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by littlefto
Bump...

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with Genesis Builders Group in Sherwood? We are planning to build a house with them there.

Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks!

We builded with genesis in Kincora, got possesion couple months ago.
So far we are pretty happy.

House was built on time. Didn't really have any major problem during or after construction.

My cousin builded with Genesis in Sherwood. So far , he didn't complain as well.

:thumbsup:

CLiVE
06-28-2010, 10:23 AM
I built with Waverly homes in Sherwood, which was the homebuilder that Genesis purchased (previously they were just a land developer I believe). Overall good experience. If you have any specific questions, send me a PM.

littlefto
07-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. It's reassuring to know that you guys have had good experiences with Genesis.

I was a bit scared because there is not much information regarding Genesis and it is my first time building.

:thumbsup: