PDA

View Full Version : Cormier's cheap shot on Mikael Tam

mowglee
01-18-2010, 05:40 PM
This is disgusting. I can't believe he was the captain of the juniors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aplfhPu4iiU&feature=player_embedded

The article about it on TSN

The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League has suspended Rouyn-Noranda Huskies' forward Patrice Cormier indefinitely for his hit on Quebec Remparts' defenseman Mikael Tam which occurred during Sunday's game.

QMJHL Disciplinary Prefect Raymond Bolduc confirmed Monday that an announcement on the official length of the suspension will be made once the disciplinary process has been completed.

Cormier, who was Canada's captain at the IIHF World Junior Hockey tournament earlier in the month, came off the bench for a line change and hit Tam in the head with an elbow.

Tam, an 18-year-old defenceman with the Remparts went into convulsions on the ice due to the hit and was immediately taken to a local hospital where he remains as a result of brain trauma. Remparts spokesperson Nicole Bouchard said that Tam underwent a brain scan after the game and that a second scan on Monday morning showed no deterioration in his condition. Bouchard stated that Tam is expected to be released from hospital on Tuesday.

Cormier was given a major penalty for charging and was ejected from the game.

Quebec provincial police questioned witnesses at the rink after the game. Police spokesman Marie-Josee Ouellet said the incident is under investigation to see if there are grounds for criminal charges.

The 19-year old Cormier is no stranger to controversy. In an exhibition game prior to the World Junior tournament, the second round draft choice of the New Jersey Devils in 2008 nailed Sweden's Anton Rodin with an elbow to the head.
http://tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=306706

I don't know how to embed the vid so if someone can do it that would be great.

Benny
01-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by mowglee
This is disgusting. I can't believe he was the captain of the juniors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aplfhPu4iiU&feature=player_embedded

The article about it on TSN

http://tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=306706

I don't know how to embed the vid so if someone can do it that would be great.

aplfhPu4iiU

Yeah I don't know how much more blatant an elbow can be. Here's the other one from the Juniors.

8hzeOhL8_9g

ryder_23
01-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Just terrible...hope they throw the book at him, on the ice and off.

95teetee
01-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
Just terrible...hope they throw the book at him, on the ice and off. it's very, very rare that I think that criminal charges should be laid for something that happens in the field of play (the McSorley/Brashear incident, the Bertuzzi/ Moore incident, and now this) but I wouldn't object to it in this case.

mac_82
01-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Ugh those convulsions are brutal. You never want to see that happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Q follow the OHL and suspend him for the rest of the year. But there shouldn't be any criminal charges.

I was not a big fan of his during the world juniors. He seemed to take stupid penalties and I could never understand how he ended up with the C.

ryder_23
01-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by 95teetee
it's very, very rare that I think that criminal charges should be laid for something that happens in the field of play (the McSorley/Brashear incident, the Bertuzzi/ Moore incident, and now this) but I wouldn't object to it in this case.

I know, its wishful thinking. Atleast hurt his career then. Also have to take into effect its not the first time hes done this, hell within a month hes done it twice, severity was way worst in this case.

Mibz
01-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Somebody remind me why he's representing our country.

l/l/rX
01-18-2010, 06:29 PM
fuck that is soo brutal!!!

89s1
01-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Saw this on sporstnet today, made my blood boil. Makes me mad he even got a chance to play on team Canada the way he carried himself.

He should be banned from the NHL before he even gets a chance to play. :thumbsdow

Fucking lowlife. :banghead:

I can't even watch it without getting pissed off, he's going to miss his check so instead he sticks his elbow straight out.... ARGH. One of his teammates should beat the shit out of him. :devil:

PGTze
01-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Jesus that wasn't even close to being clean either. You see 'dirty' hits all the time but usually it can at least be argued that it was just unlucky, not in this case.

npham
01-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Not for the faint of heart. Watching him convulse was gross on so many levels. It was like 2 minutes too. :thumbsdow

95teetee
01-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
But there shouldn't be any criminal charges.

that's usually the way I feel, except:

Originally posted by PGTze
Jesus that wasn't even close to being clean either. You see 'dirty' hits all the time but usually it can at least be argued that it was just unlucky, not in this case.
this. It can't in any way, shape, or form be defended as being part of the play.

Skyline_Addict
01-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Terrible :(

mac_82
01-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by 95teetee

that's usually the way I feel, except:

this. It can't in any way, shape, or form be defended as being part of the play.

True but in recent memory the only time criminal charges are even considered it seemed to be a stick swinging incident, basically 'assault' with a weapon, or when Steve Moore got Bertuzzied from behind.

I guess the elbow could be considered a 'weapon' but I don't see it happening...

stevieo
01-18-2010, 08:24 PM
didn't he get warned at WJC for doing the 'skate by elbow' then next game he pulled it again?

guy is a fucking disgrace to put on a canadian jersey. im so glad canada lost to USA this year cause of this fucking reject haha

95teetee
01-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by mac_82

True but in recent memory the only time criminal charges are even considered it seemed to be a stick swinging incident, basically 'assault' with a weapon, or when Steve Moore got Bertuzzied from behind.

I guess the elbow could be considered a 'weapon' but I don't see it happening... oh, I don't either, believe me- I just mean that I wouldn't be appalled by it like I usually am when charges for on-ice happenings are mentioned.

badatusrnames
01-18-2010, 09:30 PM
I hope the league and the RCMP throw the book at him.

Players at all levels need to realize that actions such as this have the potential to permanently affect people away from the game as well. In this case, he could have left Tam with a permanent brain injury, which not only would have affected his playing career, but forever altered his way of life as well.

If he had gone out with the intent in injure someone in the same manner in public, he would be criminally charged and rightly so. I have a hard time seeing the difference here. This is not something that occurred in the normal course of a game, was an intentional and pre-medidated attempt to injure.

RizenSun
01-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Tragic... Cormier should at least apologize for what he did, shame on him :guns:

mowglee
01-18-2010, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he gets charged. He's a repeat offender and he needs to be taught a lesson.

C_Dave45
01-19-2010, 01:09 AM
I didn't like his whole play at the Juniors. His chicken-shit cheap shot on the Swede in a meaningless exhibition game shows the kind of player he is. Stupid. Took dumb penalties all throught the tournament too.

I think they'll ban him for the rest of the year and playoffs. To bring the police into it I think is rediculous. To equate what would happen if he did in public is a moot point. If you gave someone a perfectly clean body check, you'd be charged with assault as well. Any fight would be a criminal charge too.

Let the league deal with it.....hopefully he'll be gone for a long time. At least until the Devils put a jersey on him. Too bad Stevens or Kasparaitus weren't still playing. They'd give him a nice welcome.

89s1
01-19-2010, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by RizenSun
Tragic... Cormier should at least apologize for what he did, shame on him :guns:

The only thing tragic is that he'll likely pull an NHL jersey over his head in the not too distant future. :(

I'm all for a lifetime ban from all hockey on a pro or semi-pro level. Let him try that shit in a mens league, he'd be lucky to leave the arena on his own power.

We have enough talent out there without dirty players like this. :whipped:

mac70135
01-19-2010, 01:15 AM
Team Canada named this guy as their freaking Captain for the World Juniors?? No wonder they didn't win, all he did was take stupid penalties.

This kid is a piece of shit. He didn't even show any remorse even arguing with the ref. Wow. He has one more year of junior elligibility, I hope they don't let him play another junior game again.

Fuck this kid. Repeat offender.

Baron O' Funk
01-19-2010, 02:25 AM
Its sad when you see players have such a blatant lack of respect for each other. He's dirty for sure, would like to see him sit the rest of the season + playoffs. NJ wont give up on him yet though.

JfuckinC
01-19-2010, 11:37 AM
i wanna see him play in the show next year, pull some bullshit and get his face smashed in by a true goon that doesn't pull cheap shit. :banghead:

Smartiepants
01-19-2010, 12:25 PM
I think they should throw the book at him. But NOT criminal charges. I never agree with criminal charge for on ice (field) conduct.

Alot of what happens would be assault when not being played as a sport, and in no way do I think he would ever do that to someone off ice.

Quizzes
01-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Why does this POS hate the Swedes so much?

Unfortunately, if Steve Downie can play in the NHL, so can he.

EDIT: Thought Tam was a Swedish player with a Swedish name... I guess he's not.

badatusrnames
01-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Smartiepants
Alot of what happens would be assault when not being played as a sport, and in no way do I think he would ever do that to someone off ice.

Of course he wouldn't do it off the ice, because he knows there would be repercussions in that environment. I think players need to learn that being engaged in a hockey game isn't license to go out and attempt to seriously harm someone. Yes, all players accept a certain element of risk when stepping on a playing surface, but it still isn't acceptable to go out and do something that could seriously harm someone else for life.

There's a line on the type of physicality that should be acceptable in hockey and he crossed it.

89s1
01-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Of course he wouldn't do it off the ice, because he knows there would be repercussions in that environment. I think players need to learn that being engaged in a hockey game isn't license to go out and attempt to seriously harm someone. Yes, all players accept a certain element of risk when stepping on a playing surface, but it still isn't acceptable to go out and do something that could seriously harm someone else for life.

There's a line on the type of physicality that should be acceptable in hockey and he crossed it.

Agreed, the only 2 times I've drop the gloves playing (rec hockey, usually no fights) were checks from behind when I was already behind the goal line, but not against the boards. head/shoulder first into the boards and both times I got up and chased the fucker down at the blueline and made him man up.

dharminder
01-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Cormier needs to be suspended from playing hockey at any level for the rest of the year and possibly next year. As for charging him, I don’t agree with that. If it happens on the ice let the league deal with it there is no business for the cops getting involved.

dr_jared88
01-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by dharminder
Cormier needs to be suspended from playing hockey at any level for the rest of the year and possibly next year. As for charging him, I don’t agree with that. If it happens on the ice let the league deal with it there is no business for the cops getting involved.

So as long as I'm on the ice I can severely injure or possibly kill someone and I shouldn't have to worry about criminal charges? That's a joke. Come on now, game or not, you have to control yourself.

Tram Common
01-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by dr_jared88

So as long as I'm on the ice I can severely injure or possibly kill someone and I shouldn't have to worry about criminal charges? That's a joke. Come on now, game or not, you have to control yourself.

Unless this kid represents himself any lawyer could make sure he doesn't see summary.

Looks like a cheap shot, smells like a cheap shot, most likely is a cheap shot...but you can't say without a reason of doubt that he had intent.

He just has to say he was going for a hit and ended up with an elbow.

Trust me, it sucks, in my opinion that clearly shows intent, but it won't fly in a courtroom.

civic_stylez
01-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Blatantly trying to injure someone in any sport is completely unacceptable...accidents happen but everyone that plays the game should not have to worry about someone purposely trying to end their career or their life... Cormier is a waste of talent and a goon... his hockey days should be over...:thumbsdow

darkrider911
01-21-2010, 03:16 PM
That shit makes me sick.... Cormier should be suspended from the league for a FULL year minimum as well as being barred from the NHL until that suspension has finished! What a cheap ass son of a bitch, I hope for his sake he finally learns you shouldn't be throwing elbows as a means to check someone. If the authorities got involved I would not care one bit. :whipped: :whipped:

TeamBestBud
01-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Cormier's been suspended for the remainder of the season and playoffs.

http://tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=307618

rizfarmer
01-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by TeamBestBud
Cormier's been suspended for the remainder of the season and playoffs.

http://tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=307618

a good starting point; I would prefer an indefinate suspension to match Tam's time off the ice as a result of the hit. If he ended up never playing junior hockey again it would probably seriously hurt his development and chances at playing in the NHL

rumeo
01-25-2010, 11:58 PM
IMO, I believe the penalty for injuries needs to be changed. Player that injures player should get X amount of games suspended but ONLY come into effect once the injured player steps onto the ice again.

95teetee
01-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by rumeo
IMO, I believe the penalty for injuries needs to be changed. Player that injures player should get X amount of games suspended but ONLY come into effect once the injured player steps onto the ice again. works for me.

C_Dave45
01-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by rizfarmer

a good starting point; I would prefer an indefinate suspension to match Tam's time off the ice as a result of the hit. If he ended up never playing junior hockey again it would probably seriously hurt his development and chances at playing in the NHL

It's no big deal. This was his last year anyways. Jersey will only sign him that much quicker, and either dress him in the farm team or the NHL next year.

mr2mike
01-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

It's no big deal. This was his last year anyways. Jersey will only sign him that much quicker, and either dress him in the farm team or the NHL next year.

Yup,
He'll be in Lowell sooner than later. Keep any news on him low key till we all forget in a few months.