PDA

View Full Version : Highlevel Diner in Edmonton: Worst "Dining" Experience... EVER.

nonlinear
01-18-2010, 06:40 PM
We were in Edmonton overnight last night and wanted to grab a good breakfast on our way out of town. Being unfamiliar with the breakfast scene there, we just did a quick search on the GPS and ended up at Highlevel Diner. There were several full tables, which at 10:45 on a Monday morning, lead us to think that this must be a good little cafe.

We could not have been more mistaken.

Things were fine from the outset. Within just a few minutes of sitting, we were sitting with mugs of coffee after giving our orders to the friendly waitress. My friend ordered the breakfast special for $6.99 and I ordered the farmer's omelet for $12. In my opinion, $12 is very, very expensive for an omelet, but I do pay that often and expect good food for that price. However, the food I was served was absolutely horrendous... so bad, in fact, that I refused to eat the omelet (which I don't think i've EVER done in all my life at a restaurant). First of all, the omelet was listed as a 3-egg omelet, however what I was served was definitely a 2-egg omelet. We could tell this by comparing the size with my friend's 2 scrambled eggs. Whatever, that wasn't a big deal as long as it tasted good, right? well, when I cut into the omelet, I noticed that it had a very, very strange, un-omelet-like texture. hard rubber is a good way to describe it. I put it in my mouth and it was very, very dry and TASTED LIKE SHRIMP or some other type of seafood. I don't know how this happened since it was supposed to only have ham, etc. in it. Did you ever try to eat those pre-cooked, frozen, and microwaved "omeletes" they give you at Holiday Inn Express? this was exactly like that... and i think that this may have been actually a premade, frozen omelete but i can't be sure. I tried a second bite hoping that just the edge was screwed up, and it was getting even worse. I gave my friend a bite just in case i was crazy or something, and she had to spit it out. I told her that I couldn't eat it, and proceeded to eat my half cup of fried potatoes (these were good) and my 2 slices of 7-grain toast. the toast was absolutely crappy as well. it was as dry as croutons... i can only imagine they had left it sitting on the counter for a few days, or put it in a 200 degree oven for 30 minutes. at any rate, I was starving so I crunched my way through.

when the waitress came to collect our plates, I didn't complain about the quality of the food but thought she might ask if it was OK since I had only taken 3 small bites. however, she didn't say a word... simply removed my plate and brought the bill. thought that was a bit strange but whatever.

boo! terrible, terrible food. will never go back, and wanted to warn others who might fall victim to this in the future.

89s1
01-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Maybe you emanate douchebaggery and just get the service you deserve. You know, since you're always a douche on here I assume at least some of it spills over into your everyday life.

Just a thought.

Canadian 2.5RS
01-18-2010, 07:02 PM
squeaky wheel gets the grease.

You need to complain if you want something done. I realize that a good waitress would have noticed but a good waitress wouldn't work at some skeezy diner.

I say chalk it up to experience and grow a pair and say something next time.

Thanks for the heads up though.

I give your review :thumbsup: :thumbsdow

nonlinear
01-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS
squeaky wheel gets the grease.

You need to complain if you want something done. I realize that a good waitress would have noticed but a good waitress wouldn't work at some skeezy diner.

I say chalk it up to experience and grow a pair and say something next time.

Thanks for the heads up though.

I give your review :thumbsup: :thumbsdow

i don't complain at restaurants... if I don't like something, i just don't go back. I also think it's important to tell others about my experience, which is why i posted the review here.

Originally posted by 89s1
Maybe you emanate douchebaggery and just get the service you deserve. You know, since you're always a douche on here I assume at least some of it spills over into your everyday life.

Just a thought.

gee, thanks for the contribution. :poosie: you would actually be surprised at how courteous and agreeable I am in "real life." ;)

smartcar
01-18-2010, 10:05 PM
I've never seen you in real life, but from your posts you seem like a douche (sorry). If you didn't say anything when you were there it's really unfair to post on a public forum how you were so hard done by, it's passive/aggressive IMHO.

nonlinear
01-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by smartcar
I've never seen you in real life, but from your posts you seem like a douche (sorry). If you didn't say anything when you were there it's really unfair to post on a public forum how you were so hard done by, it's passive/aggressive IMHO.

it's a fucking restaurant review. how is it "unfair to post on a public forum..."?

:facepalm:

did you complain in this situation? http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=3093717#post3093717

smartcar
01-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Well, no - I did eat it all and I was just piling on with the dissenters to the 10/10 review. Not like starting a new thread to bitch when I didn't say boo about my three bites out of a meal I didn't like.

I don't mind that you searched my previous posts but that's what I was referring to when I said you seem like a douche.

nonlinear
01-18-2010, 11:18 PM
please go be irrelevant elsewhere.

Disoblige
01-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by smartcar

I act similar in person and on here (maybe nicer in person), but that's also why I never decided to go visit that Mucho Burrito place and nonlinear decided to go try it and pretty much took back everything he said on Beyond. That leads me to believe nonlinear isn't a douche in person haha.

But anyways, I don't see any harm in not saying anything and to post your experience online. Not everyone will whine about the food; I think simply not eating it was enough to say that it wasn't right for the paying customer. Maybe a better idea next time is to ask the server for any specials or what the highlight of their menu is.

nonlinear
01-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

I act similar in person and on here (maybe nicer in person), but that's also why I never decided to go visit that Mucho Burrito place and nonlinear decided to go try it and pretty much took back everything he said on Beyond. That leads me to believe nonlinear isn't a douche in person haha.

But anyways, I don't see any harm in not saying anything and to post your experience online. Not everyone will whine about the food; I think simply not eating it was enough to say that it wasn't right for the paying customer. Maybe a better idea next time is to ask the server for any specials or what the highlight of their menu is.

and I should point out that with the whole Muco Burrito thread, i didn't actually eat there but was instead making fun of the fact that I personally busted Terence shilling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill) on beyond, and was just having fun with that and his mispelling of "Mucho." however, once i was in there and tried the food, and met Terence and saw what a great guy he is and what a good operation he had, i had to come on here and say that because he really deserved positive comments about his restaurant. i don't know smartcar, or why he seems to have an axe to grind, but this is a food review section and i'm just giving my opinions in the hopes that they will help others.

if you want a good breakfast, go here: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/289950/review-99th-avenue-cafe-great-breakfast-spot/

Disoblige
01-18-2010, 11:48 PM
^^ I've decided to never go out for breakfast again. I could make a breakfast that would beat any place I've had in the city, and value takes into account as well. I don't feel like paying over $20 a person for breakfast when I could prepare a great breakfast for less than $10.00 multiple times a day. Only breakfast I would eat is from Timmies (I like their breakfast sandwiches) or McDonalds haha.

I would only eat brunch, and even then there is only a couple places I would go to.

clem24
01-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Hmm.. Highlevel used to be quite decent. It was actually one of my preferred places up in Dedmonton. But it has gone downhill in recent years. They still do make great catchup though!

Next time head over to the Route 99 Diner on 99th St. LOVE that place!

potatopineapple
01-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
^^ I've decided to never go out for breakfast again. I could make a breakfast that would beat any place I've had in the city, and value takes into account as well. I don't feel like paying over $20 a person for breakfast when I could prepare a great breakfast for less than $10.00 multiple times a day. Only breakfast I would eat is from Timmies (I like their breakfast sandwiches) or McDonalds haha.

I would only eat brunch, and even then there is only a couple places I would go to.

This comment is kind of yo-yo of doucheness. First you make it seem like you are too good for breakfast places, then it's revealed you are just too cheap to eat out. Then you contradict your attitude/taste with your love for fast food "breakfasts," while reaffirming your cheapness. Before contradicting your original statement and then douching it up again.

creeper
01-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear

i don't complain at restaurants... if I don't like something, i just don't go back. I also think it's important to tell others about my experience, which is why i posted the review here.

[/B]

Doesn't make any sense. They don't give a fuck if you go back or not. If you're unhappy at the time, I'd say something about it, and refuse to pay. It's a restaurant. They treat you like complete shit, you treat them like complete shit. The circle of life continues. Don't be a chump. Chump's like you keep this shithole in business.