PDA

View Full Version : AWESOME pizza at Sobey's Urban Fresh, downtown Edmonton. Where else can I find this p

nonlinear
01-18-2010, 07:33 PM
we stopped by the Sobey's in downtown Edmonton last evening to get some drinks, and at the deli they were giving out samples of pizza that they make in-store there. we each tried a sample and it was absolutely amazing... and i'm a very, very picky and opinionated pizza critic, so this means something, folks. i would classify the pies as california-style topping combinations on a thin Neapolitan-style crust, probably about 10" in diameter. the pizzas are baked in ovens in-store, or you can buy them (parbaked, presumably) and bake them in your oven. the crust was ABSOLUTLEY prefect, and is just as good as anything you'll get at Il Centro or Sandro's in Calgary. the sauce was bright and fruity, and clearly made from high quality san marzano or perhaps 6-in-1. awesome cheese and the most perfect blend of spices i've had on pizza in a long time. i'm not sure what kind our sample was, but it had sliced peperoncini, fresh basil (yum yum yum), various other well-balanced spices, among other things. they had a bunch of these pies premade, in several flavours, so you can take them home and bake them in your oven for total freshness.

anyhow, the pie was absolutely amazing, and i'm just wondering if anyone has seen these pies anywhere in calgary? At our local sobeys, they also have take-n-bake pies, but they are different than the ones we had up in edmonton (our local sobeys had bigger pies, with thick crust and more standard toppings. we tried one once and it was not very good).

aaronck
01-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Google lists the Sobeys on Fairmont Dr as an Urban Fresh location-they seem to offer more take and bake food than other locations.

beyond_ban
01-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Do you know the approximate costs on the pizzas? There so happens to be a Sobeys on the way home from work...

nonlinear
01-19-2010, 05:04 PM
i don't know the exact cost, but they were cheap (like $6 or $7)? also, yea the one on fairmont is the one right by my condo. they do have take-n-bakes there, however they aren't the same ones we had in edmonton :(

bourge73
01-19-2010, 05:20 PM
hmmm very Intrigued by this. They definately dont have them @ the Sobeys on Country Hills maybe its just the newest ones? and I also know you dont lie about food cause that 99th cafe call was spot on. ( I say ur not a D bag btw)

liquidboi69
01-20-2010, 11:34 PM
u have sparked me to try this pizza.... since I live on campus in Edmonton, Sobeys is just a 10 min walk or a 1 min bus haha

nonlinear
01-21-2010, 11:11 AM
let us know what you think! also, the only place i've seen it was at the Sobey's on Jasper Ave. they are the smaller ones, about 10" or so.

lil*tymer
01-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Just had a sicilian pesto pizza from that sobeys. They had about 6 different kinds and each one is priced at 10$. I could tell the meats and cheeses were of high quality, but the pizzas are pre cooked i believe and you heat them up in your own oven. Great pizza though