PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions on Apprenticeships...

Weapon_R
11-26-2003, 11:25 PM
I have a friend who doesn't get anything right - and he wants to quit school before he's done and get into a trade. I realize he's a retard, but no point in trying to convince him otherwise as he's already made up his mind.

What are the best paying and most rewarding trades to get into right now, and what trades offer the best job security and benefits?

3G
11-26-2003, 11:45 PM
Construction

Nizmo_GTR
11-26-2003, 11:47 PM
Scaffolding carpenter in Fort Mcmurray

CelicaST-162
11-26-2003, 11:57 PM
I reccomend the Mechanic trade, Heavy Duty (transport trucks), or automotives. As some of you may know, most of the "baby boomers" are starting to retire or quit the trade. So in 3-5years there will be a shortage of mechanics. So great pay, secure future:thumbsup:

This site will tell you all you need to know...www.tradesecrets.org

hooligan
11-27-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
I reccomend the Mechanic trade, Heavy Duty (transport trucks), or automotives. As some of you may know, most of the "baby boomers" are starting to retire or quit the trade. So in 3-5years there will be a shortage of mechanics. So great pay, secure future:thumbsup:

This site will tell you all you need to know...www.tradesecrets.org

yeah good one..............Too bad baby boomers are in every trade.........I went to that meeting too, total shoe in...

so any trade is pretty good, the highest paying trade is a mil-write(spelling) they can make some mad money!

davidI
11-27-2003, 01:31 AM
Welders make amazing money if they work oil and gas. It takes a lot of time up north...and maybe getting some bush fever but I've seen these guys in the bars with thousands of dollars just looking to have a good time for a week. I'm sure the work is shitty but when you're on your own time you can afford all the toyz!

Horatio
11-27-2003, 09:25 AM
I was looking into Masonry for awhile. I think if you find a good niche doing decorative stuff you'd make some pretty good money.

Greg

Melinda
11-27-2003, 11:45 AM
Welders, plumbers and electricians are in HIGH demand, even more so then mechanics...there are a lot of boys going into the automotive trades so it's not becoming as vital. If you want something high in demand, become a plumber or an electrician...they make good money too if that's what he's looking for

BigBearWest
11-27-2003, 01:52 PM
i work in construction, in order to make the big buck you need at least high school and they will pay for your school for your trade. gas pipe fitter are in big demand right know. i was talking to a guy that work for cayon plumping a gas pipe fitter he started at 13 with a new truck and all the equipmenment and they paid for half his schooling. it is a three year program at sait, you work for ten months and school for two months. he was saying that the higher up guys make like 25-28 dollars and hour. Also welders, plumbers and electricians are in high demand also. i would say not to get into framing or cribbing that is hard work for IMO shitty pay.

Dirty_SOHC
11-27-2003, 02:31 PM
I'm a communications electrician apprentice, does pay too bad imo

hooligan
12-08-2003, 07:21 PM
my brother never finished highschool and he only 26, makes 90 grand a year US:eek: :eek: He's a welding inspector, right now he's up in alaska!!!

sxtasy
12-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Stone masonry (its what I'm doing right now). Very hard and physical work, the money potential and demand are very good though. It's not a bad idea to have a trade under your belt in addition to schooling, provides some security in the future.

edit-

I have a friend who doesn't get anything right - and he wants to quit school before he's done and get into a trade. I realize he's a retard, but no point in trying to convince him otherwise as he's already made up his mind.

What are the best paying and most rewarding trades to get into right now, and what trades offer the best job security and benefits?
I wouldn't say your friend is dumb for doing this. There is very good potential to make good money in many trades. Another plus about tradework is you basically have your own business and can write many purchases off. It's also a good direction for those who aren't interested in an office job and who would prefer to work for themselves instead of someone else.

Any type of construction work is desired around Calgary. Tradesman usually don't get benefits unless they are union.

stockEK
12-09-2003, 10:12 AM
In this day and age, not finishing high school is a big mistake, IMO

Although if he is hell-bent on pursuing a trade now, I would suggest talking to employers in the various fields and seeing if they would indenture him, although I would suggest his chances are slim - especially for the more technical trades.

Once you are indentured with a company, You will go to school every year for 8-12 weeks for 4 years - These modules are somewhat compressed, so it is not the cakewalk that it may seem - especially for the 3rd and 4th years.

Its tough to say what trades are best. I would value long term viablity over money or even working conditions.. Anything related to oilfield and construction is subject to its ups and downs - although that is probably true for any job

Mckenzie
12-09-2003, 11:34 AM
He needs to finish HIghschool first and foremeost.

The one great thing about trades is that you can make a ton of $$$ at one. You are also generallly able to be your own boss and work as you wish.

For trades, you are in a good boat because you earn while you learn the trade. However, most trade labour-markets are becoming saturated with too many workers right now and many cannot find work.

Electrician is the first one that comes to mind.

I would say mechanic would be a good trade to get into. Stay indoors, work on cars, etc..

There are alot of trades that you defenitaly dont want to get into because of working conditions etc.