PDA

View Full Version : GSL Chev City (previous owner)

freeeked
01-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi All,

A couple of questions for you. This is my first domestic so I am relying on the seller quite a bit. I need some sage advice from the experts.

The truck is at GSL Chev City. It was cleaned up real nice but when we started it up the Check Engine Light was on. It drove ok and the mechanic checked it and it was an engine knock sensor. They reset it and now say no problem. The used car guy thought the detailer must have hit a sensor. This was curious.

The used car guy keeps claiming its what you expect with a truck with 150k on it. I am too used to Honda's where they rust out at 300k before the CEL becomes a problem.

It is a 2001 chevy with about 150k on it. It had two previous owners. I asked if they could have the last owner call me so I could ask a few questions. I had done this with a Honda in the past and it was no problem. GSL said the previous owner was an old guy (retired) said he really didn't want to talk. I find this a bit odd.

So my questions are:
Any dealings with GSL and GSL used cars?
Any way I can find the name of the previous owner?

It was in really good shape so I am thinking of taking it to a mechanic to get a second opinion. GSL's 90 day warranty on a limited list of items does not inspire confidence.

Any advice would help.

Masked Bandit
01-18-2010, 09:41 PM
It's a bunch of crap. I have no idea how a detailer could activate a CEL but I would walk. I don't blame the dealership for not wanting to put you in touch with the previous owner due to privacy concerns. Here's the thing. There are about a billion Chev trucks out there. There is nothing special about this one. Wait a week and you'll find another one just like it. FWIW I've had decent luck at Shaw & Strathmore Motors.

Is this the one?

http://inventory.gslchevcity.com/english/Used-inventory/listing/Pickup-Truck/2001/Chevrolet/2500/4792884.aspx

If so I'm hoping you noticed it's only two wheel drive?

corsvette
01-18-2010, 09:57 PM
I would take it to your own mechanic if it makes you feel better about the purchace,my old Chev was a 2000 and it allways had trouble with the cel,somthing to do with emmision control they fixed several times under warranty,but never caused any drivability issues,other than that i put 260k on that truck without any issues at all,a friend of the family i sold it to is still driving it to this day without any repairs needed,a very reliable product imo.

As far as who the previous owner was.i call bs on the dealers part,sure they would love every truck to be owned by "a retired guy"It just sounds too typical to me.On the other hand,i would be rather pissed if the dealer let perspective customers call me asking questions about my truck,after all they are not paying me any commision to help them close the sale.

Take it to another shop,the tech there should be able to tell you if it has been a well maintained truck,and if GSL has nothing to hide they should welcome you to take it to get a second opinion.

Skrilla
01-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Getting the truck checked out is never a bad idea....

As for the "old man" story, with a truck like that it is hard to say, that is an odd truck, and with my experiences, most younger (45-under) truck buyers who look at a 3/4 ton truck will purchase the 4x4 version (if that is the truck).

Hope everything works out!

:thumbsup:

94boosted
01-19-2010, 09:49 AM
If your serious about this perticular truck spend the $100 and get an inspection done at an independant shop.

Oh and a detailer tripping the knock sensor by bumping something :rofl:

Tik-Tok
01-19-2010, 09:55 AM
I would walk away.

Salesman is lying through his teeth about everything.

Sugarphreak
01-19-2010, 10:22 AM

nonlinear
01-19-2010, 11:02 AM
i would just get a piece of electrical tape and put it over that check engine light and not worry about it. :bigpimp:

freeeked
01-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Great comments, thanks very much. I know when I come here I get a straight anwser. I agree with the privacy bit. All I asked that they contact the original owner and get their ok for me to call. Frankly I am surprised that retired folk would not want to chat about a truck they loved. I would not hesitate to help someone searching for a car. Try to combat all the dealer BS that is out there.

The dealer is giving a few too many comments like "you gotta understand it has 150k on it"..geez I wonder why the big three are in a world of hurt. I bought a crx with 290k on in and drove it for three years...

My final test will be to have a second opinion. If I get push back I will have a little chat with management, before I say bye bye to GSL for life.

Now I know why I have bought privately up till now. They owners usually want to sell it.

p.s. looking to pull a 5th wheel in the summer so 2wd is AOK.

BokCh0y
01-19-2010, 07:31 PM
i hope it works out for you. i personally....if you're having this many issues with it before purcahsing, i'd walk away from it and find another one.

methodicreign
01-19-2010, 07:41 PM
I would turn trail and run.
Working in a domestic dealership for the last 2 years, and seeing the crap that happens in the used department, RUN. I know for a fact the most dealership have thier lot guys change parts on thier used cars. sounds not bad right, we all change parts from time to time. There guys have service departments at thier disposal, why would you get an untrained, un-certified person to change parts, I mean wipers, or light bulbs or something fine, but brakes, and calipers, and other pretty essential parts. They will do anything to save a buck, I gaurentee they have no idea what the problem is, I promise you it never went through an inspection before it hit the lot. I will bet my left nut if you throw a code reader on it it will spit something else out. You dont just reset a knock sensor code and have it not come back again instantly. As far as a detailer hitting it, I'm pretty sure the knock sensors are not accessable to a water hose....
if a dealer is going to give you a story about 150K being lots and you have to expect problems at that stage, how many places give warrenty that high? or 100,000 at least.
leave it alone, and besides you dont want to pull a 5th wheel with a gas 6.0L anyways. die hard chev guys at work, domestic guys to the bone trade in thier gas engines for diesle when it comes to pulling that kind of weight. just my 2cents, I could be wrong, you could never have a problem with it, and you could love every second of it, but do you want to throw the dice???

canadian_hustla
01-19-2010, 08:57 PM
sounds completely implausible. RUN!

Masked Bandit
01-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by freeeked
Great comments, thanks very much. I know when I come here I get a straight anwser. I agree with the privacy bit. All I asked that they contact the original owner and get their ok for me to call. Frankly I am surprised that retired folk would not want to chat about a truck they loved. I would not hesitate to help someone searching for a car. Try to combat all the dealer BS that is out there.

The dealer is giving a few too many comments like "you gotta understand it has 150k on it"..geez I wonder why the big three are in a world of hurt. I bought a crx with 290k on in and drove it for three years...

My final test will be to have a second opinion. If I get push back I will have a little chat with management, before I say bye bye to GSL for life.

Now I know why I have bought privately up till now. They owners usually want to sell it.

p.s. looking to pull a 5th wheel in the summer so 2wd is AOK.

You're giving these guys too many chances to burn you. Do you honestly think this thing was traded in by a retired old man? Pffffft.

scat19
01-20-2010, 09:47 AM
If that were my X amount of money, after the first few lines out of his mouth... I'd be leaving.

There is probably a gem out there for the same price.

Danny Meehan
01-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I would walk away.

Salesman is lying through his teeth about everything.
When a deal is too good to be true ...
In this case, the outlook is shitty from the start -

Zero102
01-20-2010, 11:29 AM
If you post what they are asking for it likely some people on here can help you find something else that is a similar or better deal and you can walk away from this one. If I don't feel perfectly comfortable with the salesperson I will not buy a car at that dealership. The lines they have given you are questionable at best and that is a big red flag to me. They will always lie about the previous owner and that is why they will not put you in contact with them.

Also worth noting, the brake fluid is mighty dirty and needs to be changed if you buy that truck. Pulling a heavy trailer with old brake fluid is a bad idea.

Masked Bandit
01-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

Also worth noting, the brake fluid is mighty dirty and needs to be changed if you buy that truck. Pulling a heavy trailer with old brake fluid is a bad idea.

How do you know about the brake fluid? Care to share with the rest of the class?

Zero102
01-20-2010, 04:56 PM
In the picture linked above it is very very dirty. Cars with ABS should have the brake systems flushed every couple of years and that fluid is much older.

LittleAngel
01-20-2010, 05:05 PM
due to the privacy act, you can not have previous owners info.

in all honestly why would you want to call the old owner, dont you think that would be a bit wierd?? i mean, after all, he doesn't even own the truck anymore

LittleAngel
01-20-2010, 05:06 PM
added note : why not take the truck to a shop of your choice and pay for an inspection on it? you can do that you know...

freeeked
01-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks all. I have decided to move on. There are lots out there. I am looking for a 3/4 ton crew cab with A/C. It needs to tow 9000lbs. My budget is 10k. I am looking for reliability more than flash and options. So keep your eyes peeled for me. I have no preference for the brand. <150k would be a good.

Weapon_R
01-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Looks like a clean truck but you have literally dozens to choose from in the local classifieds. Those Chevy trucks are extremely reliable and last a long time but you don't have to settle for a 2wd with a CEL. Most come with 4x4 and you can find a great deal if you look hard enough.

Beware, the 6.0L engine is notorious for gas consumption. I'm not even talking about your typical V8, but stories of 7-10mpg are not uncommon while towing. That truck will bankrupt you - I sold my '03 Silverado 2500 a little while ago and although the truck was as solid as any import I've owned, it also burned through hundreds of dollars per month in gas. Get a diesel.