PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Delivery

Dilmah
01-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Just want to hear what do you tip the pizza delivery guy.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/18KzwK5gMtA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/18KzwK5gMtA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>18KzwK5gMtA18KzwK5gMtA

know1edge
01-18-2010, 09:54 PM

RizenSun
01-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Thats messed up :barf:

I noticed that delivery guys usually keep the pizza in a zipped bag and only open it once they're ready to hand you the pizza...
:dunno:

Barking_Spidre
01-18-2010, 10:17 PM
$5.

I'm delivering pizza right now for my winter job, can't say I've ever done what that guy has done before. :nut:

I thought there already was a huge thread about tipping and such on here? If I recall correctly, it was pretty heated about whether to tip or not.

Disoblige
01-18-2010, 10:21 PM
^^ I'm surprised. Better not order again if you're not tipping lol.

nonlinear
01-18-2010, 10:32 PM
i don't have pizza delivered anymore. i was having too many problems with pizzas showing up an hour late, cold, etc. etc. etc. and then having to tip and pay delivery charge on top of that. (seriously, a delivery charge and tip should not equal 40% of the cost of the pizza, which it easily can when ordering from Gondola - my favorite place). anyhow, i went to Real Canadian Wholesale and bought a pro pizza delivery bag for like $30. i've probably saved hundreds of bucks in delivery fees since then, AND my pizza is always on time and piping hot cause I am in control of when it's picked up and delivered.

89s1
01-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by RizenSun
Thats messed up :barf:

I noticed that delivery guys usually keep the pizza in a zipped bag and only open it once they're ready to hand you the pizza...

Funny you say that, because that's exactly what would have happened in this case. Did you not notice he slipped it back into the bag? :dunno:

2Valve0
01-18-2010, 10:35 PM
I HATE tipping with a passion, not because im cheap, because retards expect it when they do a shitty as job.
When I have to wait an hour and half for pizza why the hell should I tip you, I've sent pizza guys away that took that long.

Same if the dumbass waiter takes forever to give me a refill suck it up because your not getting a tip. If they worked for it im more then willing to tip well but little shits these days expect it no matter what and get upset when they don't recieve. Idiots

Disoblige
01-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by 2Valve0
I HATE tipping with a passion, not because im cheap, because retards expect it when they do a shitty as job.
When I have to wait an hour and half for pizza why the hell should I tip you, I've sent pizza guys away that took that long.

Same if the dumbass waiter takes forever to give me a refill suck it up because your not getting a tip. If they worked for it im more then willing to tip well but little shits these days expect it no matter what and get upset when they don't recieve. Idiots

What is your definition of tipping well?

sevewone
01-18-2010, 10:46 PM
When I delivered a few years ago, average was about 4 Dollars for Dominos. very, VERY rarely did someone ever get delivered a Cold pizza. Well I guess having a turbo car kinda helped that situation :burnout:

nonlinear
01-18-2010, 10:46 PM

hahah, i love this dude ^^^^

:rofl:

89s1
01-18-2010, 10:48 PM

I don't hate tipping, but if we've gotten bad service at a restaurant my wife will usually pay the tab, because she knows I'll tip sweet fuck all.

Bad service, no tip... simple as that... I'm not a high maintenance patron, but I expect a certain level of effort to be put forth. I don't mind if the server gets all pissy because they have to tip out the kitchen staff and the table they just served ends up costing them out of pocket. That's the way it should be. Hopefully then they fucking quit and free up that position at the restaurant for someone that will try harder.

If the restaurant is packed, and clearly understaffed I am understanding but IMO its quite easy to tell if the server is just bad at their job or if they're swamped.

oops, am I ranting? :D

Disoblige
01-18-2010, 11:03 PM
You'd have to do REALLY bad in order for me not to tip. If service leaves more than to be desired, I only leave 10% and that's pretty bad. Otherwise, the usual is 15% on larger bills and maybe more if it's something that doesn't cost much and 15% seems small.

I remember eating white chocolate brownie at Moxies one time during a full house and I felt bad for the waitress because we only ordered a single item to share and spend maybe 30 minutes or longer at peak times. So I just dropped a $20 and damn she was excited that she ran up to another waitress and was like "OMG look what I got.. etc.."

But then, the ONLY time I never tipped sitting down was when I ate at that Bagolac Vietnamese restaurant (near Chinook) when it was still owned by the chubby guy who now owns all the Tai Thai's and drives a Corvette. I asked for a fucking spoon 5 times and the bitch just forgets or ignored me and if I had to ask 5 times for a spoon then I already finished my damn pho. Gave no tip and she actually called me out on it.. She made a whole scene and was like.. "WHAT, no TIP?" And I said "Yeah, well I asked for a fucking spoon 5 times.. And you just forgot.." Then she said, "Well what about the kitchen? They make the food.. Bla Bla.." So I said "Alright, Here's $1.00 for the kitchen. But it's for the kitchen, not you." And both my guest and I stormed out totally pissed and we never ate there again. No insult to the owner though, just happened I got a bitch server. I know the owner when he used to own it and he's a nice guy.

cancer man
01-20-2010, 07:13 AM
I generally tip 15% for 2 people, but 20% when i bring my
3 idiot sons and they drink like 10 sodas each.
God bless Boston Pizza.

topmade
01-20-2010, 07:30 AM
I've delivered chinese food and pizza for a while and hands down, chinese food got more tips. But one time I had a fob friend who came with me on some pizza orders and I let him take one to the door and the guy grabs the bag like a briefcase and started walking to the door. I only noticed when he was about to ring the bell and I yelled at him to keep it flat just before the customer opened the door.

masoncgy
01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm within a 5 minute drive of numerous popular pizza joints, I take the 10 minutes and drive there and back myself.

No delivery surcharge, no tip, no waiting and the pizza is hot & fresh, every time.

Win all around. :thumbsup:

Tips are earned, not mandatory. I tip well when I receive good service as I used to work in the industry and made good money doing so... you have to earn that money by providing top notch service...

...but too many servers/delivery folk these days believe they are always entitled to a gratuity, and sadly, they are mistaken. Poor service = no tip...

...or if I'm in the mood, I'll leave a penny. It seems to really drive home the point that yes, I'm not leaving you a tip, and no, I didn't just forget to leave one. lol.

Redwagon
01-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Good service - 20%

Ok service - 10%

Bad service - rounded up to nearest dollar.

InRich
01-20-2010, 11:23 AM
I always just leave 10% as my standard. Shit gets expenseive when your already spending 75 bucks for two people. People just love throwing around money nowadays like theres no tommorow. If I get bad service, I leave nothing. simple.

SilverGS
01-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Usually tip pizza delivery guy $3-$5 depending how long it took. If driving conditions are not good then I usually give $5.

As for restaurants it just depends on the service.

What I hate are all these restaurants doing automatic gratuity. 6 or more ppl = automatic 18% regardless of how you do. My idea of a tip is when you provide good service above what you are supposed to do. Making sure everything is alright, keeping drinks topped up, good attitude. Not just take order and put food down. Its just a way for already overpriced restaurants to save salary cost by paying minimum wage but offering up automatic gratuity as incentive for servers.

Dilmah
01-20-2010, 11:40 AM
I think $4-$5 in normal for the delivery guy, I say that because unless he's an ass at the door there really is no service except for driving to your house. So at 3am on a Sunday morning you're drunk and want some pizza your only option really is delivery and if it's snowing out and -20c I think $10 is not a bad thing to be tipping. Some places only send out from one central location after 1am, so he might have to drive anywhere from a few km's to upto 20km just to get to your house, so again depending on the time of day, the weather, or how drunk I am I'll tip anywhere from $4-$15... Less then $4 if he's being an ass.

calepeters
01-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS
Usually tip pizza delivery guy $3-$5 depending how long it took. If driving conditions are not good then I usually give $5.

As for restaurants it just depends on the service.

What I hate are all these restaurants doing automatic gratuity. 6 or more ppl = automatic 18% regardless of how you do. My idea of a tip is when you provide good service above what you are supposed to do. Making sure everything is alright, keeping drinks topped up, good attitude. Not just take order and put food down. Its just a way for already overpriced restaurants to save salary cost by paying minimum wage but offering up automatic gratuity as incentive for servers.

i really hate it when people through in an oppinion about something they know nothing about a
I used to be a server, (gets QUITE hectic at times, i went to school for accounting and it was easier then serving)
a server will tip out on all food and all alcohol ordered, so lets say you come in with 10 people and spend like 200$, the server will then owe the kitchen and bartender anywhere between 4 and 10$ depending on what they have (ie liquor tip out is higher) so when some drunk dumbass goes to pay and doesnt tip, the server wasted the past hour or two serving your table and actually loses money not to mention the fact they could have had other tables instead of you,

so no auto tip is not bad, most servers will try and work for it anyway, its not always there fault, sometimes management or the hosts are pricks and overseat the server, and crash them and server is running their ass off just to stay on top of things and theres only so much they can do when this happens, then a table tips poorly when its not the servers fault

nonsane
01-20-2010, 12:04 PM
pizza guy i tip 4.50 typically... 6.00 if it's snowing. more if it's a blizzard or something.

the problem with tipping is the servers see as, if you don't tip, you're an asshole because they are entitled to it.

I was at the strippers ordering drinks, and at the end of the night i was gonna give the girl that was bringing me drinks a five, so as a result i didn't tip on the first few drinks. 3rd drink, she gives me the beer and says "is there a problem with my service or something?"

She lost the tip.

(also drinks already cost more from the girls than if you go up to the bar yourself)

SilverGS
01-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by calepeters

i really hate it when people through in an oppinion about something they know nothing about a
I used to be a server, (gets QUITE hectic at times, i went to school for accounting and it was easier then serving)
a server will tip out on all food and all alcohol ordered, so lets say you come in with 10 people and spend like 200$, the server will then owe the kitchen and bartender anywhere between 4 and 10$ depending on what they have (ie liquor tip out is higher) so when some drunk dumbass goes to pay and doesnt tip, the server wasted the past hour or two serving your table and actually loses money not to mention the fact they could have had other tables instead of you,

so no auto tip is not bad, most servers will try and work for it anyway, its not always there fault, sometimes management or the hosts are pricks and overseat the server, and crash them and server is running their ass off just to stay on top of things and theres only so much they can do when this happens, then a table tips poorly when its not the servers fault

I expected this type of response from a server. You also made the asumption I have no idea what I am talking about but I have worked every position in a restaurant from dishwasher up to manager with the exception of cook. I can tell when a server is doing a good job and when they are dogging it. There are some that still do a good job even knowing there is an automatic gratuity but more often then not service is lacking when they know its being added to the bill regardless of the service they provide.

I realize that servers usually tip out the cooks and host but it usually only amounts to 5%-10% of their total tips so the majority is still on the server. Good servers normally don't care because they do a good job and get the good tips. All the automatic gratuity does is put a smile on the lazy servers. The amount has also increased from 10% to 15% to 18% over the last few years. A tip is to show appreciation for doing that little extra to make the experience that much more enjoyable. The better you do the more you get. By having it automatically added and setting the amount you completely remove that incentive for many servers. Even worse is the amount. Sounds like ppl in this thread reserve the 18-20% tip for the best of the best not mediocre service. If they kept the amount to say 10% say for large tables I would have less of a rant but at 18% and rising its getting ridiculous.

You are right that servers do get slammed with too many new tables sometimes but most people will notice this and give the server some slack. A good place will realize this and warn customers that service maybe delayed.

masoncgy
01-20-2010, 12:37 PM

One can usually notice when it's the server who is dropping the ball or if the circumstances are beyond their control (ie: slow bar or slow kitchen, too many tables, etc). I will still tip a server who is doing their best under trying circumstances, it's not always their fault and you can tell just by watching their activities.

Bad server = no tip. The server is the face of the business when one dines in their establishment. It's not like there's a instructional guide on the wall that determines who gets what portion of the tips. If the kitchen & bar staff aren't doing their share, the server can take it up with management on the tip outs. Really, they can sort out the poor tip issues amongst themselves, it doesn't involve me.

In the end, it's my money and I'll decide who gets it.

Alterac
01-20-2010, 01:18 PM

the server wasted the past hour or two serving your table and actually loses money not to mention the fact they could have had other tables instead of you,

You are not losing any money at all.

You get paid your Wage, hourly. Then gratuity on top if you do good work and satisfy the customer.

If you are getting less money than your wage, you are an idiot.

If you are just complaining about getting less tips, be happy you get any tips, they are not part of your wage.

Stubby
01-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Alterac

You get paid your Wage, hourly. Then gratuity on top if you do good work and satisfy the customer.

If you are just complaining about getting less tips, be happy you get any tips, they are not part of your wage.

That's exactly what needs to be said.

You are already being paid to do the service. The TIP comes when you go above and beyond the mandatory service that you are supposed to provide.

snoop101
01-20-2010, 01:37 PM

I agree with this. A tip is a tip. It means you worked over and above to satisfy your customer and your being rewarded for that.

If the food is slow, but the server is good and keeps being nice and keeps the drinks coming then im good with that and he/she gets a good tip.

On a side note I like to ask this....

Do you guys/gals tip owners that serve you?

msommers
01-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Pick up for sure. Call, place the order, get in the car, 10 mins later I'm there it's ready or coming out of the oven. It's cheaper, faster and hotter than delivery so why not!

calepeters
01-20-2010, 03:18 PM

this is extremely arrogant to say, ANYBODY in the service industry knows that SOME people just dont tip no matter how much you can attempt to please them, in many parts of europe, the tip is included in the meal, so for example when somebody comes from europe, they dont leave anything because they think its already inlcuded, so in this instance, is it fair for the server to tip out say 3 or 4 $ to the kitchen when the table leaves nothing? 3$ off just one table brings your hourly wage down from 8.80 to 5.80, other times (not being racist) some...ethnicities just DONT tip, ive had this as well - say a group of 15 people come in and drink and drink, they dont tip cause the one guy paying the tab is cheap or drunk, then you have to tip the bar out as much as 6 or 7 dollars? is it fair for the server to make 2$ for the past hour?

auto gratuity is designed to protect the server from such things, if i was making 8.80 though university id be homeless

i do agree some servers take advantage of the system but in general I believe this is not the case, and if they DID do that bad of a job, take it up with the manager?

89s1
01-20-2010, 03:48 PM
You make it sound like your shift is an hour long and you serve one table per shift.

Make up for it on the other tables. A "bad night" in tips for my wife at the pub is $70 for an 8 hour shift. You sound like you don't expect tips from certain ethnicity's, maybe it shows in your service. :dunno:

My wife serves every table to the best of her abilities and then if they don't tip she feels a bit raw, but doesn't let it affect her overall mood. You win some you lose some, but it averages out in the end.

max_boost
01-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

My wife serves every table to the best of her abilities and then if they don't tip she feels a bit raw, but doesn't let it affect her overall mood. You win some you lose some, but it averages out in the end.

That just about sums it all up. All servers (including myself) needs to have this type of attitude.

For the customers, not here to set a standard and argue about it cause it's not science and it's not perfect. If you receive shitty service, do as you please. If you receive good service, consider the tip as an appreciation for the server taking care of you, that is all. With that said, 10% gratuity is not a bad number to start at.

SilverGS
01-20-2010, 05:18 PM

this is extremely arrogant to say, ANYBODY in the service industry knows that SOME people just dont tip no matter how much you can attempt to please them, in many parts of europe, the tip is included in the meal, so for example when somebody comes from europe, they dont leave anything because they think its already inlcuded, so in this instance, is it fair for the server to tip out say 3 or 4 $ to the kitchen when the table leaves nothing? 3$ off just one table brings your hourly wage down from 8.80 to 5.80, other times (not being racist) some...ethnicities just DONT tip, ive had this as well - say a group of 15 people come in and drink and drink, they dont tip cause the one guy paying the tab is cheap or drunk, then you have to tip the bar out as much as 6 or 7 dollars? is it fair for the server to make 2$ for the past hour?

auto gratuity is designed to protect the server from such things, if i was making 8.80 though university id be homeless

i do agree some servers take advantage of the system but in general I believe this is not the case, and if they DID do that bad of a job, take it up with the manager?

Sure sometimes you get a raw deal and it sucks but then you also get other people who will tip you $10 on a $30 meal. Both situations are not the norm and I agree that it all averages out in the long run.

Your attitiude is that of someone who thinks they are entitled to a tip. I am with the others in thinking that a tip is a reward for a good job not something to be expected.

msommers
01-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Anyone I know working in the service industry makes a shit load of money in tips. Either they're all fucking fantastic servers or people bitching about not getting high or any tips suck at their job. Sure you're going to run into a dick or a group of dicks, cheap skates etc but in the end, tips add a substantial amount of income for servers. It's almost disgusting how much some pull in per night.

Trini
01-21-2010, 02:43 PM
give me good service and you'll get a tip..shit service = no tip.

Don't know where this mentality that the servers are entitled to a tip came about.

Khyron
01-21-2010, 03:11 PM
If there was no tipping (or it was force included) and you got shit service, what do you do? Withhold payment? That's what I've always felt the 15% is supposed to be treated like. The last part of the bill you have some power over.

Ie, the price is really the total+15%. Everything is budgeted around that.

But you can withold that 15% if you're treated badly. If they do their job (and yes that means not being rude, and refilling drinks and not making me wait) then they get the 15%. If they fuck up, maybe it's docked down. If it's terrible then it's nothing or 1c.

I hated France for the included tip because if you get fucked at best you can just complain.

But so many people here in North America are treating the tip as "super extraordinary service" when it's designed to be "decent expected service". So it's only a matter of time before the 15% is back on the price and then any additional is for "extraordinary".

Quiet10
01-21-2010, 04:13 PM
I am normally a ridiculous tipper... usually 20%+ if I'm fully satisfied, 15% for a normal / decent do-your-job kind of service... but recently I went to Boston Pizza and the waitress we had was TOTALLY useless... and by the end of the night I was gonna tip her 10% anyways... well I waited and waited and waited for her to come take my credit card for the bill and decided I'd dock 1% for every minute I had to wait for her to pick it up, counting down from 15%(rather than automatically not tipping)... She didn't ever come. I had to ask another server if I could pay at the front rather than in my seat where I was still having a conversation. I gave her a penny tip to make my point. It shouldn't take 15 minutes for you to come ask if I'm done and take the bill. :thumbsdow

msommers
01-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Trini
Don't know where this mentality that the servers are entitled to a tip came about.

I found this paper awhile ago and posted it in an old tipping thread. Quite interesting read actually.

http://129.3.20.41/eps/eh/papers/0309/0309001.pdf

Disoblige
01-22-2010, 03:12 AM
^^ I do agree with the fact in that article that a lot of people tip to save embarrassment. I'm sure a lot of people probably don't care too much about the actual tipping of the server, but wouldn't want to look too cheap when they're leaving and/or in front of their colleagues.

I didn't know that in early times that English people also tipped to encourage better server though. That's the opposite of today haha.

Criticull
01-22-2010, 10:22 AM
The place where tips are the most ridiculous is North America. It's the social norms holding us down. Serving is one of the most overpaid jobs ever here. A friend in the UK makes half as much as I was making here when I did it, and she does exactly the same thing. Making 30-40 bucks an hour (a lot of which is tax-free due to lying) for no real amount of skill or education is pretty absurd. Some people work their asses off for much less.

Because of the easy money, you encourage girls to become lifers serving drinks into their mid-30s and having an early mid life crisis cuz they spent their youth making money to buy blow, liquor, slot machine credits, and trips to other places where they can do blow, get hammered, and win a "things are finally starting to look up" $2000 jackpot at a discount cruise line casino.

All this said, I still tip 15% for average service, and the cycle continues.

jwslam
01-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Quiet10
I waited and waited and waited for her to come take my credit card for the bill and decided I'd dock 1% for every minute I had to wait for her to pick it up, counting down from 15%(rather than automatically not tipping)... She didn't ever come. I had to ask another server if I could pay at the front rather than in my seat where I was still having a conversation. I gave her a penny tip to make my point. It shouldn't take 15 minutes for you to come ask if I'm done and take the bill. :thumbsdow

I did some serving. If I see you're done and you're in the middle of a conversation, I'm not gonna interrupt you just to take your money from you and make you feel like I'm rushing you out because you're hoarding my table.

On another note, EVERY server knows there's specific ethnicities that don't tip no matter what. Sometimes when you get enough of them you're hoping for the rest of the night to be all chinese because they'll tip 10% regardless (i say that because i am chinese). But yea, if you come in often and I know that no matter how well I serve you you don't tip or don't tip well, then other customers are my priority.

Question to other servers: if the bill comes to like $24.36 or some shit, do you change with a $5 hoping they'll leave that or do you break it to loonies and toonies?

Speedy
01-22-2010, 10:56 AM
What gets me is we tip people that walk pizza to our door or drinks to our tables. Yet you don't tip the 20% more to the fireman that pulls your drunk ass out of the car you just wrecked or the medic that picks up your grandparent at 2am or the police officer that protects your kids at night. Half the time they barley get a thank you.

I am cheap and if the service is good I will pay 10%-15% if the service sucks I speak to the manager.

Pizza guys (I have never had a girl deliver me pizza) usually get $2-$3 bucks

Call me cheap/whatever I have no problem sleeping at night.

dino_martini
01-22-2010, 03:51 PM
I generally tip well, although one night I was with some friends at the Gateway and we had been drinking. I was paying the bill and I asked for too much change back in my drunken state. And the waitress was like "what you don't tip?"

:banghead:

My bad I guess. Generally I tip 15%, and then round up to the next dollar if its that close.

[GaGe]
01-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Some of you are cheap lol.

I usually tip pizza delivery guys 15%, and round the total up to the next $5 (I don't like to keep change anyways), with a minimum $5 tip. If it's taking forever for delivery, I call in, let them know, and I usually get my next order for free or discounted at least.

At restaurants, I tip 10% and round to the closest dollar for shitty service, 15% and round up to the next $5 for regular service, and 20 or 25% and round up to the next $5 for good service, depending on how good the service was.

At the bar, unless I'm starting a tab, I round the total to the next $5 for my drink/shot and pay that.

msommers
01-22-2010, 04:29 PM
So a beer that is $6.00 you leave $10.00?

GQBalla
01-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by msommers

order 2 and pay 15

[GaGe]
01-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Originally posted by GQBalla

order 2 and pay 15

exactly lol.

Zero102
01-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

order 2 and pay 15

Order 5 and pay 30! :D

max_boost
01-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

I did some serving. If I see you're done and you're in the middle of a conversation, I'm not gonna interrupt you just to take your money from you and make you feel like I'm rushing you out because you're hoarding my table.

On another note, EVERY server knows there's specific ethnicities that don't tip no matter what. Sometimes when you get enough of them you're hoping for the rest of the night to be all chinese because they'll tip 10% regardless (i say that because i am chinese). But yea, if you come in often and I know that no matter how well I serve you you don't tip or don't tip well, then other customers are my priority.

Question to other servers: if the bill comes to like $24.36 or some shit, do you change with a $5 hoping they'll leave that or do you break it to loonies and toonies?

The key is to work in a big restaurant so the chances of you serving the same person who doesn't tip twice is low. Then it won't affect your job haha

OK I don't want to single out any ethnicity but I know for a fact that some people don't tip no matter what which is fine. To them, it's our job to serve and if we don't like what we get paid, to GTFO and find another job. Or maybe they just don't know about tipping customs here in NA? haha

Yeah I'll break it down in change and maybe they'll drop a buck or two.

Like it's been said before though, IT ALL EVENS OUT IN THE END.

Mitsu3000gt
01-22-2010, 05:32 PM
My friends and I are pretty big tippers, but it does help that we are often in fairly large groups. With everyone kicking in for the tab, it's easier to bring together a tip that is good for the waitress . We usually end up tipping ~30%. I'm sure it helps that people generally just throw in cash in denominations that is convenient, rather than taking the extra 10 min to go get change, etc. It all evens out I think.

Same deal with pizza. A bunch of us order some pizzas, everyone just chips in whatever they have because on a per person basis it isn't that much, but then the delivery guy gets a good tip.

If I'm paying individually, I usually do ~20%, more if my bill is really small. I've been lucky in that I very rarely get poor service, or maybe I just have very low standards haha.

Khyron
01-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

OK I don't want to single out any ethnicity but I know for a fact that some people don't tip no matter what which is fine.

I've heard this a few times but I'm not in service industry - who doesn't tip (generally)?

LongCity
01-22-2010, 09:23 PM

Your argument is soo skewed it's not even funny. As someone already mentioned; you make it sound like you work for 1 hour a day. You already make your hourly wage, if your manager takes "tip" money out of your wage to tip out to the kitchen staff, then that's your issue to take up with management (is that even allowed?). From what I know, you servers that claim you "lose" money don't actually lose it. It's the patrons that are tipping you various amounts of money for service they SHOULD be getting but aren't are the ones that are losing money.

max_boost
01-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

I've heard this a few times but I'm not in service industry - who doesn't tip (generally)?

I'm not calling anyone out but I'll just say generally blue collar ethnic minorities haha

I think people don't tip because:

1. They aren't aware of it
2. They don't agree with it

I can see how some servers get irritated because if they don't get tipped, they still have to tip out. But again, rarely will you get the continuous shaft. It all evens out so to the servers out there, just keep working hard. :thumbsup:

89s1
01-22-2010, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by LongCity

Your argument is soo skewed it's not even funny. As someone already mentioned; you make it sound like you work for 1 hour a day. You already make your hourly wage, if your manager takes &quot;tip&quot; money out of your wage to tip out to the kitchen staff, then that's your issue to take up with management (is that even allowed?). From what I know, you servers that claim you &quot;lose&quot; money don't actually lose it. It's the patrons that are tipping you various amounts of money for service they SHOULD be getting but aren't are the ones that are losing money.

Tipping out the kitchen/bartender (or both) is pretty standard procedure as far as I know.

LongCity
01-23-2010, 02:09 AM
Not what I meant.

calepeters
01-23-2010, 02:50 PM
no its not illeagal, lets break this down for you

some restaurants, (mine for one), are extrememly slow on weekdays and you dont have set hours, you come in at 5 and you leave when they dont need you (very standard) its called being "cut" i HAVE had shifts where i work one hour a day, now if in that hour i have 3 tables, and all the bills were 30$ each, and each table leaves sayy 10% (3$) i make 9$ tip out to kitchen is 2% of total cash out so i cashed out 90$ so i have to tip out 4.50$ so i make 4.5$ in tips, now lets say one table doesnt tip, so now i make 6$ on 90$ cash out, i owe kitchen 4.50$ still but now i only make 1.50$ in tips but 8.80 so i really only make just over 10$ in that one day,

Yes ok fine some of you may argue 10$ an hour is fine, the problem is servers DONT CONTROL THEIR HOURS, some weeks i have 40 hours, some i only have 20-25 so now if i make 10$ an hour and work 20 hours a week *due to no fault of my own* i make 200$ before tax?! how am I supposed to pay my bills and tuition with that? and no getting a second job would not help, because I cannot control my hours, i will not know how many hours a day I will get until my day is over

so as for long city, lets SAY i only managed to get one table in an hour cause it is that slow, and even if i give good service, and their bill is 50$, if they dont tip i STILL owe the kitchen 2.50$ regardless, so when this happens, i make 8.80 an hour, less 2.50 i really am making 6.30$ an hour, understand? now this doesnt always happen (is rare) but it does still happen

Weapon_R
01-23-2010, 02:55 PM

some restaurants, (mine for one), are extrememly slow on weekdays and you dont have set hours, you come in at 5 and you leave when they dont need you (very standard) its called being &quot;cut&quot; i HAVE had shifts where i work one hour a day, now if in that hour i have 3 tables, and all the bills were 30$ each, and each table leaves sayy 10% (3$) i make 9$ tip out to kitchen is 2% of total cash out so i cashed out 90$ so i have to tip out 4.50$ so i make 4.5$ in tips, now lets say one table doesnt tip, so now i make 6$ on 90$ cash out, i owe kitchen 4.50$ still but now i only make 1.50$ in tips but 8.80 so i really only make just over 10$ in that one day,

1. Do a good job and you'll rarely have to tip out at a loss

2. How much of those tips do you claim on your taxes? (Hint, the answer is zero. Any other answer is a lie).

3. If its such a hard life to make $10/day, wouldn't you be better off in another job? Actually, probably not. Most servers I know make a great income.

PureDeXteritY
01-23-2010, 03:05 PM
i HAVE had shifts where i work one hour a day, now if in that hour i have 3 tables, and all the bills were 30$ each, and each table leaves sayy 10% (3$) i make 9$ tip out to kitchen is 2% of total cash out so i cashed out 90$ so i have to tip out 4.50$ so i make 4.5$ in tips, now lets say one table doesnt tip, so now i make 6$ on 90$ cash out, i owe kitchen 4.50$ still but now i only make 1.50$ in tips but 8.80 so i really only make just over 10$ in that one day,

2% of $90 isn't $4.50
2% of $90 is $1.80

You'll make more money if you're better at math.

calepeters
01-23-2010, 03:08 PM
1.yes i agree, i did a good job (no longer serving) and yes I would make decent money
2. Do not say that, i know rule of thumb is is 10% of income in tips, i however, and other servers i know claim quite a bit more, so do NOT call me a liar
3. and again I did not say it is always like that I said it happens and it sucks when it does, I dont even know how this got so off track, all my MAIN argument was was the fact that people are saying servers do not deserve a tip, yes I work for my tips, NO i dont like auto gratuity (we did not do it in my restaurant), i merely stated the fact its there to protect the servers.

and I still dont understand the whole controversy about tipping anyway, I eat out every now and then and does it REALLY kill anybody to leave an extra dollar or two? maybe the server is just having an off day, i always tip well (maybe its because I was a server) but i know how much a good tip was able to brighten my day up. I can honestly say sometimes YES i may not have provided service good enough to get a great tip and I acknowledge that, but at the same time it really puts a damper on your day when you try your best and still get ripped off

calepeters
01-23-2010, 03:10 PM
haha well whatever I cant do math, oh well my bad, same principal though, I was actually thinking about bar (bar tip out is 5% for alcohol) my bad,

ps math doesnt make you better tips :)

PureDeXteritY
01-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Math doesn't help you make more tips, but math will help you keep more of your tips.

Unless you want to tip the kitchen extra to brighten their day, that's cool too.

LongCity
01-23-2010, 04:37 PM
And you are in accounting...? I thought accounting is a numbers game, guess not.
So even if you don't get any tips on top of the bills, you have to tip out anyways? Ain't that some shit hah sucks for you then. Did you get paid your wage at the end of each day or something? How would you make less than your wage or do they keep tabs and say "X didn't get any tips this day therefore didn't tip out to kitchen staff - take tip out amount from (wage) pay"? I'm just trying to get a clear picture here.

Alterac
01-23-2010, 04:39 PM

haha well whatever I cant do math, oh well my bad, same principal though, I was actually thinking about bar (bar tip out is 5% for alcohol) my bad,

ps math doesnt make you better tips

:rofl:

Why would anyone work where the managment is stealing money from their employee's?

If you pay tip % based on your Cash Out, instead of Cash Out - Cost aka Just your Tips, you can definatly affect your hourly wage.

Cashout $100 in a night, $80 is cost, so $20 of tips. You should pay the kitchen 5% of $20, and the bar 5% of $20.

Its too bad looking things like that up in the labour laws is a pita.
Err, Just did it:
http://www.alis.gov.ab.ca/pdf/cshop/EngExpEmploystandards.pdf

I would check out #1 lots of other good tips in there also, so many people get screwed because they either dont know the laws, or are unwilling to stand up for themselves. Probally the best thing to do i call alberta employement or whatever, and ask them directly.

Rat Fink
01-23-2010, 05:25 PM

msommers
01-23-2010, 05:39 PM
What still boggles me is why we're so picky and choosy about who we tip. The logic of it doesn't make any fucking sense.

szw
01-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I used to tip 10-15% plus the delivery charge but now I just tip 1-2 bucks plus the delivery charge which works out to around 4-5 bucks total. My orders are never over 30 dollars anyways so the delivery guy is still getting a decent tip.

I ordered pizza last night and it came to 28.xx with the delivery charge. I handed the guy 29 and then turned around to see where my gf was at because she was going to find more change and the dude said &quot;whatever&quot; and stormed away like he didn't realize I was going to get more. I wish I would've exact changed the fat fucker

What did the guy expect?....should I have rolled out the red carpet, hired harp players to line up along the sidewalk, and given him my months paycheque for his 20 minutes of unskilled labor and lacking social skills?

If you said "hold on" I would understand but just turning around, or the fact that you already handed him $29 I'm not surprised the guy assumed you were done. People don't usually pay, then get more money then come back.

89s1
01-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by szw

If you said &quot;hold on&quot; I would understand but just turning around, or the fact that you already handed him $29 I'm not surprised the guy assumed you were done. People don't usually pay, then get more money then come back.

Given that they always tell you your total on the phone beforehand I can see why he thought you were done.

A couple quick words or even a hand gesture goes a long way. :)

know1edge
01-24-2010, 03:00 AM

SilverGS
01-24-2010, 06:16 AM

some restaurants, (mine for one), are extrememly slow on weekdays and you dont have set hours, you come in at 5 and you leave when they dont need you (very standard) its called being &quot;cut&quot; i HAVE had shifts where i work one hour a day, now if in that hour i have 3 tables, and all the bills were 30$ each, and each table leaves sayy 10% (3$) i make 9$ tip out to kitchen is 2% of total cash out so i cashed out 90$ so i have to tip out 4.50$ so i make 4.5$ in tips, now lets say one table doesnt tip, so now i make 6$ on 90$ cash out, i owe kitchen 4.50$ still but now i only make 1.50$ in tips but 8.80 so i really only make just over 10$ in that one day,

Yes ok fine some of you may argue 10$ an hour is fine, the problem is servers DONT CONTROL THEIR HOURS, some weeks i have 40 hours, some i only have 20-25 so now if i make 10$ an hour and work 20 hours a week *due to no fault of my own* i make 200$ before tax?! how am I supposed to pay my bills and tuition with that? and no getting a second job would not help, because I cannot control my hours, i will not know how many hours a day I will get until my day is over

so as for long city, lets SAY i only managed to get one table in an hour cause it is that slow, and even if i give good service, and their bill is 50$, if they dont tip i STILL owe the kitchen 2.50$ regardless, so when this happens, i make 8.80 an hour, less 2.50 i really am making 6.30$ an hour, understand? now this doesnt always happen (is rare) but it does still happen

Unless things have changed they required to pay you for minimum 3 hours if you are called in to work even if they send you home after 1 hour. I guess due to this I have NEVER seen a server lose money on tip out. In my experience most servers will leave with between $60-80 in tips AFTER tip out and the kitchen will leave with like $15. This is for an average 6 hour shift in a small family style restaurant. It was not unusual either for servers to top $100-$120 on the busier shifts. What about the flip situation. Have you ever been left say a $10 tip on a $30 meal. Sure its rare but probably similar rarity to your situation. Guess what now you get $9.40 of that and the kitchen gets $.60. Also, you are calculating tips only. You still get an hourly wage.

If you are doing 40 hour weeks plus school you are one busy person. Not sure about your place but for loyal and good servers I always set there time to what they want every week. Of course the more senior servers got priority on what shifts they wanted and everyone except the newer servers always got very similar number of hours every week.

1.yes i agree, i did a good job (no longer serving) and yes I would make decent money
2. Do not say that, i know rule of thumb is is 10% of income in tips, i however, and other servers i know claim quite a bit more, so do NOT call me a liar
3. and again I did not say it is always like that I said it happens and it sucks when it does, I dont even know how this got so off track, all my MAIN argument was was the fact that people are saying servers do not deserve a tip, yes I work for my tips, NO i dont like auto gratuity (we did not do it in my restaurant), i merely stated the fact its there to protect the servers.

and I still dont understand the whole controversy about tipping anyway, I eat out every now and then and does it REALLY kill anybody to leave an extra dollar or two? maybe the server is just having an off day, i always tip well (maybe its because I was a server) but i know how much a good tip was able to brighten my day up. I can honestly say sometimes YES i may not have provided service good enough to get a great tip and I acknowledge that, but at the same time it really puts a damper on your day when you try your best and still get ripped off

1. So you made decent money but you are complaining about the 1-2 times your situation may have come up?
2. Umm did you claim 100% more? Most servers I know make minimum wage or close to so $8/hour or whatever it is now but average $10-15/hour in tips.
3. I don't think anyone said that servers don't deserve a tip but it should be up to the client not some restaurant policy. If restaurants wanted to make sure that servers were protected on the amount they make they should just pay them more. It may be said that auto gratuity is to protect servers but I think more often then not it reduces the amount of service you get because servers know its added no matter what. Especially when its being set at 18% which is higher than what most people here tip for excellent service.

Yup, servers tend to tip better than most.

There you go again saying that you get ripped off by not getting a tip. Like you are entitled to a tip from everyone no matter what. There is no rip off here as long as they paid the bill. You just didn't get the bonus cash most people give. Just thank your lucky stars you work in a society where tipping is the generally excepted norm. Talk to ppl from Australia or Japan where there is no tipping whatsoever.

Prelude_dude
01-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS

Unless things have changed they required to pay you for minimum 3 hours if you are called in to work even if they send you home after 1 hour. I guess due to this I have NEVER seen a server lose money on tip out. In my experience most servers will leave with between $60-80 in tips AFTER tip out and the kitchen will leave with like $15. This is for an average 6 hour shift in a small family style restaurant. It was not unusual either for servers to top $100-$120 on the busier shifts. What about the flip situation. Have you ever been left say a $10 tip on a $30 meal. Sure its rare but probably similar rarity to your situation. Guess what now you get $9.40 of that and the kitchen gets $.60. Also, you are calculating tips only. You still get an hourly wage.

If you are doing 40 hour weeks plus school you are one busy person. Not sure about your place but for loyal and good servers I always set there time to what they want every week. Of course the more senior servers got priority on what shifts they wanted and everyone except the newer servers always got very similar number of hours every week.

1. So you made decent money but you are complaining about the 1-2 times your situation may have come up?
2. Umm did you claim 100% more? Most servers I know make minimum wage or close to so $8/hour or whatever it is now but average $10-15/hour in tips.
3. I don't think anyone said that servers don't deserve a tip but it should be up to the client not some restaurant policy. If restaurants wanted to make sure that servers were protected on the amount they make they should just pay them more. It may be said that auto gratuity is to protect servers but I think more often then not it reduces the amount of service you get because servers know its added no matter what. Especially when its being set at 18% which is higher than what most people here tip for excellent service.

Yup, servers tend to tip better than most.

There you go again saying that you get ripped off by not getting a tip. Like you are entitled to a tip from everyone no matter what. There is no rip off here as long as they paid the bill. You just didn't get the bonus cash most people give. Just thank your lucky stars you work in a society where tipping is the generally excepted norm. Talk to ppl from Australia or Japan where there is no tipping whatsoever.

Yea, i asked some friends about tipping in japan, and its pretty much non existent there. Pretty much rude to do it, unless it is a very westernized establishment. But the thing to think about tho; that they said that every place they went to in Japan had exceptional service, high class or even low class places. Yet they don't get tips for what they are doing. Then there are the servers here who believe that they deserve tips here for service that still fails in comparison to Japanese servers. Maybe im just used to not getting tips, growing up in small town Saskatchewan, working for the family restaurant, i barely saw a dollar a week lol, but i still worked my ass off, otherwise i'd get my ass beat ahahaha :whipped:
During highschool too i pumped gas at coop, wtf so why don't people tip gas jockeys, i fucking clean ur windows check your oil and tires. I'd say i did a pretty good job, better than alot of the servers that i had that did a shit ass job yet still have the dignity to give me lip or a dirty look, because i gave them less than their believed 10% tip that they think they deserve, bullshit i tell you

ryder_23
01-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

2. How much of those tips do you claim on your taxes? (Hint, the answer is zero. Any other answer is a lie).

I claimed tips last year, not a lie. So i guess your wrong in that statement??

masoncgy
01-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
I claimed tips last year, not a lie. So i guess your wrong in that statement??

Wow... 1 honest server out of millions... ;)