PDA

View Full Version : UofC or SAIT

lison
01-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Hello fellow Beyond-ers.

I'm having troubles deciding if I want to go to University or SAIT.

For the University, I applied to Natural Sciences, which is a BSc program, but I was thinking, if I go I'd maybe go for a teaching degree afterwards...
For SAIT, I applied for Power Engineer Tech. which has a average starting salary of 82g...

Please give me feedback!

2Valve0
01-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Hahahaha....average starting salary from sait is bs....really you think you will make 82k with a 2 year "certificate"?

lison
01-19-2010, 12:08 AM
I didn't really think so... haha
It's probs like 40... but it would be easier than University... ><

rizfarmer
01-19-2010, 12:14 AM
those are two pretty different paths, and those are two very differnt schools in every respect. I think the question you need to ask yourself is what you want to do, and what school/program will get you there.

lison
01-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Well, I just want a decent paying job that can fuel my expenses, maybe I'll go do teaching, then work on a car when the kids go on holidays....

Disoblige
01-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by lison
I didn't really think so... haha
It's probs like 40... but it would be easier than University... &gt;&lt;

Mm... Looks like you're still in high school from your profile. It's early but here is something to think about that most people will either realize already and realize later on. Don't expect the 40 K.. You'd be really lucky to start off with a job with that salary when you get out, and you'd probably have to be pretty good or interested in what you're doing and do well to land a job like that. Not saying you can't do it, but don't be surprised or disapointed if this doesn't happen.

Have you considered Engineering at U of C? I noticed you chose Power Engineering Tech, where Engg would be tougher, but I think you open more doors for yourself. Degree + Internship program > Sait 2 year Tech.

schocker
01-19-2010, 12:40 AM
I would just choose depending on what you really want.
I started uofc taking engg, but ended up going to sait after two years there and ended up with my chem engg tech diploma. I was much happier there and ended up in a program that suited myself perfectly. I do have my regrets for not finishing at uofc as I know the degree deffinately opens more doors, but i am happy with my education and am keeping on my education taking PM through MRU currently.

Now finding a job, that is another question:rofl:

ercchry
01-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Well, I just want a decent paying job that can fuel my expenses, maybe I'll go do teaching, then work on a car when the kids go on holidays....

DO NOT go to school if it is just for a piece of paper, waste of time, if you do not have the desire for the material you are learning you will not do well, take a year off and work or travel.... but sait sucks, you are treated like a fucking child, go to uni

themack89
01-19-2010, 12:58 AM
The objective of SAIT and University are different.

SAIT is a technical school, they will teach you how to do something and you will go out into the world and do it. Much more job oriented, prepare you for the working world.

University is a thinking institution; theory, lots of theory, and then theres also more theory. From what I experience during my two years there, it's more for the prestige of having a "University Degree" than it is for the value of what you're actually learning.

If I had to choose between 2 years of SAIT and 2 years of work experience against a 4 year degree from the U... I'd pick SAIT in a heartbeat. That is just in my opinion though, I personally would value experience more than I would education.

ENDGAME:
University - lots of thinking, very little practicality.
SAIT - straight to the point, will get you a job.

Also, I've actually been punished for thinking outside the textbook in University. I explained to my accounting teacher in an assignment why a certain method of picking a stock to invest in was failure (and it was true), in turn she denied everything I said and gave me an F. Seriously pissed me off... I thought an academic institution would welcome creative thinking.

crapstixs
01-19-2010, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

DO NOT go to school if it is just for a piece of paper, waste of time, if you do not have the desire for the material you are learning you will not do well, take a year off and work or travel.... but sait sucks, you are treated like a fucking child, go to uni

so true. when i was in the forth year of my appreniship they treated me like i was 8 years old. the gf was blowen away how sait treats people and shes in her 5th year at uofc.
if you want to teach you really have to love it, its alot of school and shit pay. if you want to teach go all out and get your masters and become a prof that way you get a bit better pay. same thing with engineering, get a degree. my dads a chemical engineer he says out in ther real world alot of people scoff and diploma engineers. go big or go home. do your research you get alot of bullshit from people.

lison
01-19-2010, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by crapstixs

so true. when i was in the forth year of my appreniship they treated me like i was 8 years old. the gf was blowen away how sait treats people and shes in her 5th year at uofc.
if you want to teach you really have to love it, its alot of school and shit pay. if you want to teach go all out and get your masters and become a prof that way you get a bit better pay. same thing with engineering, get a degree. my dads a chemical engineer he says out in ther real world alot of people scoff and diploma engineers. go big or go home. do your research you get alot of bullshit from people.

My Guidance Counselor told me if you work for CalgaryBoardofEducation, they put you on a curve, it depends on years of education and experience, at 5 or 6 years of education you start at 40g then when you approach your 9th year of teaching you max out at 90g. I also talked to my math teacher and he told me he was making 90g. So hmmm....

lison
01-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Mm... Looks like you're still in high school from your profile. It's early but here is something to think about that most people will either realize already and realize later on. Don't expect the 40 K.. You'd be really lucky to start off with a job with that salary when you get out, and you'd probably have to be pretty good or interested in what you're doing and do well to land a job like that. Not saying you can't do it, but don't be surprised or disapointed if this doesn't happen.

Have you considered Engineering at U of C? I noticed you chose Power Engineering Tech, where Engg would be tougher, but I think you open more doors for yourself. Degree + Internship program &gt; Sait 2 year Tech.

My marks aren't good enough for Engineering lol and I also think I won't be able to do well in it, cuz I've heard it's hard..

lison
01-19-2010, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

Ya I heard from my buddy sait is really easy and U is a bit more challenging... XP

Disoblige
01-19-2010, 01:24 AM

My Guidance Counselor told me if you work for CalgaryBoardofEducation, they put you on a curve, it depends on years of education and experience, at 5 or 6 years of education you start at 40g then when you approach your 9th year of teaching you max out at 90g. I also talked to my math teacher and he told me he was making 90g. So hmmm....

That and if you can deal with teeny boppers for your whole life lol! Teaching Uni seems pretty sweet though, if you're dedicated enough to do Masters.

lison
01-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by schocker
I would just choose depending on what you really want.
I started uofc taking engg, but ended up going to sait after two years there and ended up with my chem engg tech diploma. I was much happier there and ended up in a program that suited myself perfectly. I do have my regrets for not finishing at uofc as I know the degree deffinately opens more doors, but i am happy with my education and am keeping on my education taking PM through MRU currently.

Now finding a job, that is another question:rofl:

Did you think eng is hard??
I heard it is from some ppl and some say its easy.....

lison
01-19-2010, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

That and if you can deal with teeny boppers for your whole life lol! Teaching Uni seems pretty sweet though, if you're dedicated enough to do Masters.

Yea, some teenagers are... ridiculous... I'd just not care about those delinquents, just focus on the smart kids and goody two shoes. haha!
btw nice avatar..

lison
01-19-2010, 01:31 AM
Oh I was thinking if I go to UofC..
I'll tryout for their Track team, apparently it's Top 5 in Canada... =D

crapstixs
01-19-2010, 01:33 AM

my buddys wife teaches grade 1. she makes 30g or around there. you got to keep in mind 30g a year is $15 an hour and after spending over $100 000 to become a teacher thats kinda shitty, thats why i was saying you got to love it. uni education is a weird thing. gf's friend is in michiagan in optometery she had to get a $350 000 loan for it, not including the $50 000 for he batchler. shes pissed because im a mechanic and i make just as much as she will and i spent all of like $4000 on my education. but then again my body will wear out and i will retire way befor she dose.

schocker
01-19-2010, 01:34 AM

Did you think eng is hard??
I heard it is from some ppl and some say its easy.....
Yes, many of the courses are quite difficult. If you are willing to put in the time though, it would generally not be a problem. I struggled with a few of the math courses but found other courses quite easy. It is levels above the difficulty of sait though. All depends on the person though. There are some people who the information never sinks in at all and others just understand the courses completely with no issues. That is part of the reason I chose to go to sait.

2Valve0
01-19-2010, 01:40 AM

Your teacher is almost 100% LYING to you on his salary.
I have 3 teachers in my family and they say salarys cap in the 80's after 8-10 years of EXP. I believe
It is 100% true on the scaling of pay.

As for being a teacher, sure its not the greatest pay, but you get an extended vacation nobody else has the luxury to have

lison
01-19-2010, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by crapstixs

my buddys wife teaches grade 1. she makes 30g or around there. you got to keep in mind 30g a year is $15 an hour and after spending over $100 000 to become a teacher thats kinda shitty, thats why i was saying you got to love it. uni education is a weird thing. gf's friend is in michiagan in optometery she had to get a $350 000 loan for it, not including the $50 000 for he batchler. shes pissed because im a mechanic and i make just as much as she will and i spent all of like $4000 on my education. but then again my body will wear out and i will retire way befor she dose.

There was a time when I wanted to be a mechanic... but I don't really like the environment... haha no offense... I bet it's really fun tho.

lison
01-19-2010, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by 2Valve0

Your teacher is almost 100% LYING to you on his salary.
I have 3 teachers in my family and they say salarys cap in the 80's after 8-10 years of EXP. I believe
It is 100% true on the scaling of pay.

As for being a teacher, sure its not the greatest pay, but you get an extended vacation nobody else has the luxury to have

The salary also depends on how many years of education...from what I've heard... My guidance cousellor also told me it caps at 90.... Idk... but I think I'd believe your word over theirs since you have 3 teachers in the family, but are they under CBE?

crapstixs
01-19-2010, 02:01 AM

There was a time when I wanted to be a mechanic... but I don't really like the environment... haha no offense... I bet it's really fun tho.

no worrys man, serioulsy i work with some people that are like straight from the trailer park. its kinda fun there you can make so much fun of them its a great time. one thing you need to do is sit down and really think about what you want to do. i gradutated high school like 5 years ago so i know what your facing. its not all about money. i come from a long string of doctors and engineers so i put up with alot of flaming from my family about being a mechanic but at the end of the day i love going to work. money is important but job satisfaction is just as important.

leftwing
01-20-2010, 11:24 AM
my best friend is a teacher. it does depend on how many years of schooling you have. he took 6 years (degree in knes then master of education) he started at mids 30's in terms of $ per hour. makes about 53k a year after tax. he said you max out after ten years making 85-90k but you have to consider that he works only works 10 months a year. so in the summer he can get a part time (or full time) job and make another 3-8k. also every 2-3 years when he union renew the contract the range of starting/maxing out will increase.

Cos
01-20-2010, 11:51 AM

Feruk
01-20-2010, 02:05 PM
I finished Chem Engg at U of C two years ago. It included 4 years of school and a 14 month (well paid) internship. Definitely glad I did that instead of going to SAIT. It's more theoretical and way way harder then what I saw SAIT students had to take, but having the degree opens doors you just won't get with a SAIT diploma. Plus an engineering degree is recognized in countries all over the world, while a SAIT "engg tech" diploma will make it hard to get a job outside of Alberta.

As for being a teacher, would you really want to be surrounded by little brats all day and teaching the same thing over and over? I thought about going down that path when I was in Grade 12 and thank God I didn't. Not for me.

Cos
01-20-2010, 02:41 PM

Feruk
01-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Recognized in the commonwealth it would seem? I stand corrected. As for around Canada, I'm sure some are, but alot of them are very specific (Petroleum Tech, ect) and it'd be hard to apply that to places outside of Western Canada.

Cos
01-22-2010, 09:25 AM

lophilip
01-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Power Engineering Tech will probably get you a job with lots of travel.

Becareful of what career choice you want to go to.

Jry_79
01-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
I finished Chem Engg at U of C two years ago. It included 4 years of school and a 14 month (well paid) internship. Definitely glad I did that instead of going to SAIT. It's more theoretical and way way harder then what I saw SAIT students had to take, but having the degree opens doors you just won't get with a SAIT diploma. Plus an engineering degree is recognized in countries all over the world, while a SAIT &quot;engg tech&quot; diploma will make it hard to get a job outside of Alberta.

As for being a teacher, would you really want to be surrounded by little brats all day and teaching the same thing over and over? I thought about going down that path when I was in Grade 12 and thank God I didn't. Not for me.

Oh Feruk, two years and you talk as if you've been in the industry for over 10 years. You are correct that a Degree Open Doors for you, at the end of the day experience is the key and the drive / determination of the individual/

First off, adding to COS comment, yes a Diploma and Credentials as a Technologist can be transferable not only in CANADA but USA (National Institute of Certified Engineering Technologists (NICET)) and United Kingdom (Institution of Incorporated Engineers as an I.ENG) as well, they recognize members of ASET. Also Alberta is the first province in which a Technologist with a P.Tech Designation can self regulate and practice engineering independently.

I hate school period, but I've been to both, 3 years at the U and completed my Chemical Engineering Technologist course at SAIT. As I already specified the DEGREE definitely opens doors for you but if you DONT have the drive or determination or a focused goal then a Degree from University or a Diploma from SAIT isn't going to help you.

Just so you know I've been in the industry approx 10 years, I've worked directly for Husky, Jacobs, AMEC, Penn West and other smaller engineering companies here in Calgary. The Disciplines in Larger Companies won't give a Technologist the time of day. For instance at Jacobs, the process department won't even look at a chem technologist...why? when they can have a "real engineer" to do their HYSYS work.....funny thing is at SAIT you have a whole semester learning HYSYS.....at University I am under the impression you don't even touch it (please correct me if I am wrong). At the end of the day I work for smaller company, I manage my own lowly little projects from Conceptual Design, all the way to Construction...I do everything from purchasing all my equipment/materials and even having to do the fu king regulatory work......

I do the exact same thing as the Engineer's at my company which I am very thankful for......BUT I do have close friends that are engineers with the same amount of experience as I do and they would have no idea how to handle a construction project on their own or even know what a Dehy looks like!

Feruk, stay in the industry a bit longer and you'll know what I am talking about...I hope your not one of those EIT or new grads walking down 8th ave wearing Hugo Boss Suits talking about so highly of their career when all they know what to do is update a spreadsheet. LOL!

Sorry for the rant and an abundance of grammatical errors, but at the end of the day I would love to get my degree, as the doors are swung wide open for a University Grad! But I wouldn't change how I got to this Point, and SAIT did its job for me!

j.lai
01-23-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm currently taking the IT program at sait as a software developer and from I can say after attending the first semester, I found it to be really "hands on". You get to really apply your learning to what you would do in the outside world through different business cases the instructors give you. Also, for many SAIT programs, there is a capstone project in the 4th semester of the program where you work on a specific project for a company which I am really excited for. I am however transfering after SAIT to finish off with a degree.

But anyways, what I'm trying to say is SAIT's primary goal is getting you ready to get a job with the skills that you will use everyday.

msommers
01-23-2010, 04:49 PM
All I read was "I want an easy education and a job that will pay me out the ying yang." Good luck with your future endeavors!

Cos
01-24-2010, 02:54 AM

lison
01-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks everyone for all the comments!
I think I'm gonna go for University. =D

goodmusic
01-26-2010, 08:23 PM
u of c..!

Feruk
01-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Jry_79

Oh Feruk, two years and you talk as if you've been in the industry for over 10 years. You are correct that a Degree Open Doors for you, at the end of the day experience is the key and the drive / determination of the individual/

First off, adding to COS comment, yes a Diploma and Credentials as a Technologist can be transferable not only in CANADA but USA (National Institute of Certified Engineering Technologists (NICET)) and United Kingdom (Institution of Incorporated Engineers as an I.ENG) as well, they recognize members of ASET. Also Alberta is the first province in which a Technologist with a P.Tech Designation can self regulate and practice engineering independently.

I hate school period, but I've been to both, 3 years at the U and completed my Chemical Engineering Technologist course at SAIT. As I already specified the DEGREE definitely opens doors for you but if you DONT have the drive or determination or a focused goal then a Degree from University or a Diploma from SAIT isn't going to help you.

Just so you know I've been in the industry approx 10 years, I've worked directly for Husky, Jacobs, AMEC, Penn West and other smaller engineering companies here in Calgary. The Disciplines in Larger Companies won't give a Technologist the time of day. For instance at Jacobs, the process department won't even look at a chem technologist...why? when they can have a &quot;real engineer&quot; to do their HYSYS work.....funny thing is at SAIT you have a whole semester learning HYSYS.....at University I am under the impression you don't even touch it (please correct me if I am wrong). At the end of the day I work for smaller company, I manage my own lowly little projects from Conceptual Design, all the way to Construction...I do everything from purchasing all my equipment/materials and even having to do the fu king regulatory work......

I do the exact same thing as the Engineer's at my company which I am very thankful for......BUT I do have close friends that are engineers with the same amount of experience as I do and they would have no idea how to handle a construction project on their own or even know what a Dehy looks like!

Feruk, stay in the industry a bit longer and you'll know what I am talking about...I hope your not one of those EIT or new grads walking down 8th ave wearing Hugo Boss Suits talking about so highly of their career when all they know what to do is update a spreadsheet. LOL!

Sorry for the rant and an abundance of grammatical errors, but at the end of the day I would love to get my degree, as the doors are swung wide open for a University Grad! But I wouldn't change how I got to this Point, and SAIT did its job for me!

The guy with 10 years of experience knows more about new grads then the guy who recently graduated and has friends who also recently graduated from both SAIT and U of C? Where's the logic there? I'm not trying to say I know a ton about the industry, but I do know about recent grads.

I stand corrected on the ability to transfer outside of Canada (as I already pointed out in an earlier thread).

As for thinking I'm hot shit... You're right I do (minus the Hugo Boss suit), but not because of my Engg degree. Calgary has more engineers per capita then any city in Canada so it's nothing special.

Mibz
01-29-2010, 04:52 PM
The Disciplines in Larger Companies won't give a Technologist the time of day. For instance at Jacobs, the process department won't even look at a chem technologist...why? when they can have a "real engineer" to do their HYSYS work.....funny thing is at SAIT you have a whole semester learning HYSYS.....at University I am under the impression you don't even touch it (please correct me if I am wrong). This is a problem my girlfriend is suffering through. She's a tech surrounded by engineers that know very little about the things necessary for their project, yet the engineers still look down on her while they pass their work her way. She's at a large company and after another few months I have a feeling she'll get fed up and move elsewhere.

Jry_79
02-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
This is a problem my girlfriend is suffering through. She's a tech surrounded by engineers that know very little about the things necessary for their project, yet the engineers still look down on her while they pass their work her way. She's at a large company and after another few months I have a feeling she'll get fed up and move elsewhere.

LOL it's always like that, I know how she feels. Tell her to stay there for now due to what's going on in the industry, it's better to have a job right now.

When it gets busier, send me a private messages, their are alot of smaller companies that will develop a good technologist into a great Project Manager etc.

But just a side note in case everyone thinks im pro technologist or pro SAIT, I know of many great Engineer's and know many bad ones, same goes for Technologists LOL at the end of the day we are all a dime a dozen here in Calgary!

Jry_79
02-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

The guy with 10 years of experience knows more about new grads then the guy who recently graduated and has friends who also recently graduated from both SAIT and U of C? Where's the logic there? I'm not trying to say I know a ton about the industry, but I do know about recent grads.

I stand corrected on the ability to transfer outside of Canada (as I already pointed out in an earlier thread).

As for thinking I'm hot shit... You're right I do (minus the Hugo Boss suit), but not because of my Engg degree. Calgary has more engineers per capita then any city in Canada so it's nothing special.

I don't think I ever mentioned you think "you are Hot Shit" but the thread is done with so let's not beat a dead horse.

oogaboogie
02-06-2010, 04:18 PM
I took the Geomatics Engineering course at SAIT (not bad) then went on to getting an applied degree in GIS. I got a job right away and my starting pay was over 50,000.

What I realized after 2 years of working was that I wasn't going to move up in the company. I was restricted by my applied degree (wasn't a real degree) even though I had the other diploma.

Now i'm at MT Royal taking the 4 year Comp Sci degree.

My thoughts are, if you want a job right away and don't mind doing the same work over and over, go to SAIT.
If you can afford to stay in school and want a job managing people, go to a University.

If I could go back in time, I would of gone to University first, and then SAIT in order to specialize in one area but also have knowledge on organizations and the broader impact of my work.

pinoyboy88
02-12-2010, 06:18 PM
I graduated SAIT June 2009 with a Chemical Engineering Technology diploma and found a job in August as a lab tech. I make around 30k a year and plan on going to University in the fall to get my degree. I think I could probably make more money if I get a degree than a diploma. Like it was said before you gotta think whats more important, job satisfaction or money right now im more for the money.

Cos
02-12-2010, 06:47 PM
^^ you make $30,000 a year??? That is like $14.00 an hour?

Is the industry in that bad of shape?

schocker
02-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I graduated from the same program at the same time and still have not found a job. At least more and more are coming up now to apply for.:facepalm:

Cos
02-12-2010, 10:35 PM

I graduated from the same program at the same time and still have not found a job. At least more and more are coming up now to apply for.:facepalm:

ah wow. Amazing the discrepancies between different technology programs.

Didnt mean to rub anyone the wrong way.

schocker
02-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Cos
ah wow. Amazing the discrepancies between different technology programs.

Didnt mean to rub anyone the wrong way.
Well looking for jobs, electrical engg techs seem to have the most opportunity. I cant complain taking chem engg tech as i did enjoy it alot, it is just taking alot longer to find a job than I had imagined. Hopefully in the next month or so here.

Cos
02-13-2010, 09:42 AM

Well looking for jobs, electrical engg techs seem to have the most opportunity. I cant complain taking chem engg tech as i did enjoy it alot, it is just taking alot longer to find a job than I had imagined. Hopefully in the next month or so here.

Yeah I hope everything works out for you guys. I dont know much about the chem industry besides a buddy who works at Nova (he is a 40 year old tech tho).

And yeah your right, electrical has a ton of opportunity from what I see.

pinoyboy88
02-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Well its actually its more like $33 670 a year which is $18.50 an hour.

lison
02-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Damn guys.
I think I'm gonna go to the University and do Natural Sciences, that's if I get in...

Cos
02-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Damn guys.
I think I'm gonna go to the University and do Natural Sciences, that's if I get in...

Not to piss on other Technologists but most electrical techs make 25+ an hour.

I make mid 30's and am 3 years out of school

drive2009
03-20-2010, 02:37 PM
SAIT is not a school.

drive2009
03-20-2010, 02:40 PM
go to HAVAAD

natejj
03-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Don't base your future plans on just "making money". Unless you are passionate and/or enjoy what you are doing, you will work the rest of your life. Those who love their jobs never work a day in their life.